Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Preflop Group 6

Default Preflop Group 6

Finally got around to reading this...

You may also win if you pair up Aces, however this is a precarious situation since you have no kicker. If I do hit the Ace on the flop with one of these hands (29%), I will usually bet it to test the waters. If I get raised then I know to let go of the hand. If I'm in early position, I will sometimes check it (sometimes!), to see if anyone else will bet aggressively on the Ace, and then use my best judgement on whether to make that call.
    I think this is an error. You have a ~29% chance to flop a pair, only half the time it's the ace that pairs up.

Here are some of the possible flops for A5 suited, I think you missed calling out a couple important ones.

You hold As 5s

Once in a lifetime:

2s 3s 4s Nut straight flush

5c 5d 5h Four of a kind

Ac Ad Ah Ditto

Long shots:

Ax Ax 5x Nut boat

5x 5x Ax Next best boat.

Xs Xs Xs Nut flush

2x 3x 4x Strong straight if it's not single suited other than spades.

Strong but uncommon:

5x 5x X Three of a kind with the best kicker, great to beat up the other guy with a five (usually in the blinds.)

2s 3s X Flush and gutshot straight draws (including nut straight flush), several variations

Ax Xs Xs Draws to the flush and two pair and three of a kind

5x Xs Xs Draws to the flush and two pair and three of a kind

Ax Ax X Three aces. Odds are the other ace wasn't delt and saw the flop, but could be big trouble if it did with a likely better kicker.

5x Ax X Two pair with top pair, very strong unless the flop is single suited. Set against you is very unlikely and you're likely to destroy Ace w/ a strong kicker if it's out.

Common:

Xs Xs X Draw to a nut flush (careful if the board pairs up.)

Ax X X Top pair, no kicker also trouble

5x X X If the ace comes on the turn or river you can sometimes beat up top pair strong kicker with your two pair. Somewhat safer flop than the pair of Aces because you have a better idea of where you stand.

2x 3x X Gutshot straight draw, several variations

2x 3x 5x Pair with a gutshot draw to the sucker straight. Even worse if single or two suited without spades.

Note: A6s - A9s can't flop bicycle straights nor gutshot straight draws, hence are weaker hands than A2s - A5s since the difference in kickers is trivial.

Also, no mention of tight suited connectors, Kx suited or semi-tight suited connectors. Do you ever play any of them outside of your blinds?

Default Preflop Group 6

You may also win if you pair up Aces, however this is a precarious situation since you have no kicker. If I do hit the Ace on the flop with one of these hands (29%), I will usually bet it to test the waters. If I get raised then I know to let go of the hand. If I'm in early position, I will sometimes check it (sometimes!), to see if anyone else will bet aggressively on the Ace, and then use my best judgement on whether to make that call.
    I think this is an error. You have a ~29% chance to flop a pair, only half the time it's the ace that pairs up.

Here are some of the possible flops for A5 suited, I think you missed calling out a couple important ones.

You hold As 5s

Once in a lifetime:

5c 5d 5h Four of a kind

Ac Ad Ah Ditto

Long shots:

Ax Ax 5x Nut boat

5x 5x Ax Next best boat.

Xs Xs Xs Nut flush

Strong but uncommon:

5x 5x X Three of a kind with the best kicker, great to beat up the other guy with a five (usually in the blinds.)

2s 3s X Flush and gutshot straight draws (including nut straight flush), several variations

Ax Ax X Three aces. Odds are the other ace wasn't delt and saw the flop, but could be big trouble if it did with a likely better kicker.

5x Ax X Two pair with top pair, very strong unless the flop is single suited. Set against you is very unlikely and you're likely to destroy Ace w/ a strong kicker if it's out.

Common:

5x X X If the ace comes on the turn or river you can sometimes beat up top pair strong kicker with your two pair. Somewhat safer flop than the pair of Aces because you have a better idea of where you stand.

2x 3x 5x Pair with a gutshot draw to the sucker straight. Even worse if single or two suited without spades.

Note: A6s - A9s can't flop bicycle straights nor gutshot straight draws, hence are weaker hands than A2s - A5s since the difference in kickers is trivial.

Also, no mention of tight suited connectors, Kx suited or semi-tight suited connectors. Do you ever play any of them outside of your blinds?

Default Preflop Group 6

You hold As 5s

Once in a lifetime:

5c 5d 5h Four of a kind

Ac Ad Ah Ditto

Long shots:

Ax Ax 5x Nut boat

5x 5x Ax Next best boat.

Xs Xs Xs Nut flush

Strong but uncommon:

Common:

Default Preflop Group 6

You hold As 5s

Once in a lifetime:

5c 5d 5h Four of a kind

Ac Ad Ah Ditto

Long shots:

Ax Ax 5x Nut boat

5x 5x Ax Next best boat.

Xs Xs Xs Nut flush

Strong but uncommon:

Common:

Default Preflop Group 6

You hold As 5s

Once in a lifetime:

5c 5d 5h Four of a kind

Ac Ad Ah Ditto

Long shots:

Ax Ax 5x Nut boat

5x 5x Ax Next best boat.

Xs Xs Xs Nut flush

Strong but uncommon:

Common:

Default Preflop Group 6

You hold As 5s

Once in a lifetime:

5c 5d 5h Four of a kind

Ac Ad Ah Ditto

Long shots:

Ax Ax 5x Nut boat

5x 5x Ax Next best boat.

Xs Xs Xs Nut flush

Strong but uncommon:

Common:

Thanks for catching the error with the %, I've updated the page.

Actually, I'm thinking of re-writing part of this page. I've recently tightened up on the Axs hands, choosing to fold them in early position. These hands basically suck, I don't like playing them, can't remember the last time I actually won a pot with these hands, and think I need to play them less... (this is assuming a 10 person table)

I do have a phantom Group 7 - which includes some of the suited connector junk and Kxs junk, but I only play these hands in late position or not at all. The suited semi-connector junk has pretty much fallen off my playlist and I prefer it that way.

Actually, I'm thinking of re-writing part of this page. I've recently tightened up on the Axs hands, choosing to fold them in early position. These hands basically suck, I don't like playing them, can't remember the last time I actually won a pot with these hands, and think I need to play them less... (this is assuming a 10 person table)

I do have a phantom Group 7 - which includes some of the suited connector junk and Kxs junk, but I only play these hands in late position or not at all. The suited semi-connector junk has pretty much fallen off my playlist and I prefer it that way.