Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

Winning big pots

Default Winning big pots

I've managed to get a fairly decent strategy for winning hands (using renton's beginner's guide) but despite rarely losing hands I play...I'm not getting big enough pots (playing in micro games and earning 3-5p on average per winning hand - but occasionally winning bigger hands)

Is it time for me to move up to the next level i.e. (50c-$1) or stick where I am, even though i'm not THAT confident in my bankroll yet...

(I literally put $10 into my account, lost a lot of it yesterday, but clawed it all back once I got my winning strategy and am now a couple of dollars in profit)

What do I do...
    You want to play $100 NL with a $10 BR ? or did I read that wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing_Saddler
    You want to play $100 NL with a $10 BR ? or did I read that wrong
    No, I can increase my bankroll if I so wish...I just don't know if it's worth the risk if I am only capitalising on good hands rather than playing bluffs...

Understand me now...
    no....god no. renton's guide is a good place to start, but it was written years ago, before the UIEGA and the online game has evolved SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much since then. that being said, if you're even remotely competent at following the guide, you should def be able to beat 2nl.

if you think that you can deposit 4k and go pwn 100nl based on a few pages of word document, then you'll be sorely sorely disappointed.

it's gonna take a long arduous path and a lot of study and play to make it up to that point. you can beat 2nl just by valuebetting every street with every TP+ hand and fold to every single show of aggression, but if you post hands and read articles and think about poker and practice putting people on ranges and such, then by the team you have the BR to go to 5nl, you should be able to pwn it. then it doesn't really get much harder at that limit, but you should keep studying and getting better so that when you get to 10nl, you're ready to pwn that.

once you get there you can start to think a little more advanced, and figure out how to wave your cock (play against regs) and start to learn floating and 3bing as a bluff and double barrelling, and that type of study will begin to prepare you for the next like 4 limits, but it's when poker actually begins to become poker (not at 10nl itself because you can destroy 10nl with a low poker iq, but that's when you'll prolly be prepared for study of fun poker topics). then you can grind your way through the next 3 limits and if you're studying like you should, be ready for 100nl.

if you think you can even play breakeven at 100nl just because you know how to follow a guide, though, you severely severely underestimate how competitive the game has gotten over the years. which is what makes it fun, though
    this thread should be deleted until OP can show he read the whole beginner's digest.
    your banner burned here
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316
    no....god no. renton's guide is a good place to start, but it was written years ago, before the UIEGA and the online game has evolved SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much since then. that being said, if you're even remotely competent at following the guide, you should def be able to beat 2nl.

if you think that you can deposit 4k and go pwn 100nl based on a few pages of word document, then you'll be sorely sorely disappointed.

it's gonna take a long arduous path and a lot of study and play to make it up to that point. you can beat 2nl just by valuebetting every street with every TP+ hand and fold to every single show of aggression, but if you post hands and read articles and think about poker and practice putting people on ranges and such, then by the team you have the BR to go to 5nl, you should be able to pwn it. then it doesn't really get much harder at that limit, but you should keep studying and getting better so that when you get to 10nl, you're ready to pwn that.

once you get there you can start to think a little more advanced, and figure out how to wave your cock (play against regs) and start to learn floating and 3bing as a bluff and double barrelling, and that type of study will begin to prepare you for the next like 4 limits, but it's when poker actually begins to become poker (not at 10nl itself because you can destroy 10nl with a low poker iq, but that's when you'll prolly be prepared for study of fun poker topics). then you can grind your way through the next 3 limits and if you're studying like you should, be ready for 100nl.

if you think you can even play breakeven at 100nl just because you know how to follow a guide, though, you severely severely underestimate how competitive the game has gotten over the years. which is what makes it fun, though
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedcake
    this thread should be deleted until OP can show he read the whole beginner's digest.
    Noted.

Thanks.
    It's hard to win big pots when you buy in for 20BB, innit.