Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 354 of 420 FirstFirst ... 254304344352353354355356364404 ... LastLast
Results 26,476 to 26,550 of 31490
    Bone broth and cider? Why does that sound appealing?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Bone broth and cider? Why does that sound appealing?
    Do you hate soup?

Oh, and donuts are fine for you.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Jack you've been in contention for a while but today I can confirm you are officially the most boring person on FTR. Beat out some stiff competition.

I'll be disappointed if I don't get a 20 minute god awful youtube video or a link to some obscure research paper no one has ever read as your acceptance speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Jack you've been in contention for a while but today I can confirm you are officially the most boring person on FTR. Beat out some stiff competition.

I'll be disappointed if I don't get a 20 minute god awful youtube video or a link to some obscure research paper no one has ever read as your acceptance speech.
    Thank you thank you, here you go

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Alas

Keto is high fat, medium protein, low carb (apparently, 20g/day is the magic number)

Carnivore is high fat, medium protein, no carbs, but this time no avocados, eggs, nor almonds for the fat. Just eat fatty beef.

Do you see how similar these are?

Both of these is usually combined with intermittent fasting and drinking bone broth w apple cider for the gut health
    You didn't read what I said. He's doing the pure hamburger diet or whatever NOW, two years ago he was doing the keto diet. So obviously he gave up on it at some point as being not quite faddy enough. So yeah, you don't have to actually ask him how it went, because we can sorta figure it out. Kind of a rhetorical question iow.

Also, you don't have to keep explaining that you lose weight because your body burns fat. That's what your body does when it gets less calories than it uses, whether it's keto, paleo, fasting, starving, just eating a balanced diet, or whatever. You know how you got fat in the first place right, by eating too much? Well, it's the opposite of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    You didn't read what I said. He's doing the pure hamburger diet or whatever NOW, two years ago he was doing the keto diet. So obviously he gave up on it at some point as being not quite faddy enough. So yeah, you don't have to actually ask him how it went, because we can sorta figure it out. Kind of a rhetorical question iow.

Also, you don't have to keep explaining that you lose weight because your body burns fat. That's what your body does when it gets less calories than it uses, whether it's keto, paleo, fasting, starving, just eating a balanced diet, or whatever. You know how you got fat in the first place right, by eating too much? Well, it's the opposite of that.

Yeah, we are not getting each other.

People tend to transition from Keto to carnivore and back. The results are pretty similar for both.

Also, the important part of that is, if you saw the first ever video I posted on this about the dude who did the same research I did and got his type1 diabetes under control as well, you'd see that the kind of fat you are burning is important.

(Speaking for males, females are different) If you already are fat, it usually means you have a lot of belly fat. Having this will promote estrogen and progesteron production, and limit testosterone production. Which will in turn lead to an even bigger belly, faster aging and all sorts of crap.

This then becomes the main reason why belly fat is stubborn to get rid of. Previously, you would train and eventually it goes away. This happens once you manage to raise your base-t levels enough. If you only worry about calories in calories out, this will only happen through strength training. Milkshakes have calories too. Remember, your body is full of adipose deposits. If you take this route, it takes a really long time to achieve desired results.

But you can also do so through diet alone. If you starve your body of as much of its preferred fuel as possible (glucose), you will force the fuel switching I keep mentioning. And here you will see belly fat melt off. Training is not a requirement for this to happen, but it adds to it and makes it all better.

And in the meantime boost test through specific dietary items and strength training. Much faster way to get amazing results, and yoyo proof as you are not doing no-flavor shit.

I mean, it's a diet, but you are not eating stuff that has no flavor. Fat/Salt is full of flavor. Less of a chance to get cravings while you are on it due to, among many reasons, this one.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Yeah, we are not getting each other.
    I think I'm getting you, I'm just not convinced that this diet is good for anything but short-term weight loss. Can you stay on it for years and be healthy? How does it affect overall indices of health, such as anaerobic performance? Negatively, it seems.

https://coach.nine.com.au/2018/05/03...ic-performance

Also, the important part of that is, if you saw the first ever video I posted on this about the dude who did the same research I did and got his type1 diabetes under control as well, you'd see that the kind of fat you are burning is important.

The question to ask here is not just what he eats now, but also what was he eating before he went keto/paleo/whatever. Because if it was a lot of processed carbs then yeah it probably was bad for his diabetes. It's not just a question of curing diabetes (espeically type I, which afaik is genetic) through diet or everybody would be doing it, don't you think?

More generally, there's people out there, actual scientists, who've been studying diabetes for decades, and thinking about these things all day long, and yet some guy on youtube makes a discovery for a cure none of them ever thought of? Sorry, if that's what he's selling, I'm not buying it.

But you can also do so through diet alone. If you starve your body of as much of its preferred fuel as possible (glucose), you will force the fuel switching I keep mentioning. And here you will see belly fat melt off. Training is not a requirement for this to happen, but it adds to it and makes it all better.
    Yes, but if you eat less of everything (i.e., less calories), you will also starve your body of glucose and it will burn fat. It's the same principle, just not so radical and without the risks.

Bottom line is, if you have a short term goal to lose weight, keto will do that. If you have a long term goal to be healthy, you need a more balanced diet.

This then becomes the main reason why belly fat is stubborn to get rid of. Previously, you would train and eventually it goes away. This happens once you manage to raise your base-t levels enough.
    You should be doing exercise whether you want to lose weight or not. You can do more to lose weight but if the only time you work out is when you see yourself getting fat, you're kinda missing the point of exercise. It's a preventative thing, not a curative thing.
    Do you hate soup?

Oh, and donuts are fine for you.
    I like soup, though obviously it depends on the ingredients. In fact I'll probably be having soup today, tomato soup with garlic bread.

Not too big on doughnuts. I prefer chocolate and biscuits.
    ongies gonna ong
    I think I'm getting you, I'm just not convinced that this diet is good for anything but short-term weight loss. Can you stay on it for years and be healthy? How does it affect overall indices of health, such as anaerobic performance? Negatively, it seems.

https://coach.nine.com.au/2018/05/03...ic-performance
    If you are doing extreme exercise, you need to add some more carbs to it though. But this is a complexer topic, not really black and white, and I can't go into the findings of my research in just a couple of paragraphs.

If you are doing normal exercise, you should be fine. Just be mindful of adding more calories when you are exercising.

However, I followed the link you gave, and did some reading up on other articles on the site and found this

https://coach.nine.com.au/2017/02/15...ketogenic-diet

There is also concern about what low-carb diets will do to our gut microbiome [bacteria] because most prebiotic foods are really rich in carbohydrates."

Diabetes UK warns that actively trying to get your body into ketosis is potentially dangerous because high levels of ketones can make the blood acidic.

Greenfield also notes that a ketogenic diet can lead to high cholesterol, triglycerides and thyroid issues."
    All these are properly addressed already by all the research I did. These people have no idea what they are talking about. Most likely outdated info or just plain old fearmongering. They maybe pushing another "fad" diet on this particular site.

Edit: Aha!
    https://coach.nine.com.au/2018/11/01...ealth-benefits

"How switching to a plant-based diet could make you healthier, lighter and happier"

The question to ask here is not just what he eats now, but also what was he eating before he went keto/paleo/whatever. Because if it was a lot of processed carbs then yeah it probably was bad for his diabetes. It's not just a question of curing diabetes (espeically type I, which afaik is genetic) through diet or everybody would be doing it, don't you think?
    He used to drink at least 2L of coke on the daily before.

And yeah, type I is genetic, he goes into all of that in the vid. He gets it under control, but of course doesn't cure it. But instead of daily shots or death, he can go for like semiweekly shots now. Much better than before.

More generally, there's people out there, actual scientists, who've been studying diabetes for decades, and thinking about these things all day long, and yet some guy on youtube makes a discovery for a cure none of them ever thought of? Sorry, if that's what he's selling, I'm not buying it.
    Incentives is a powerful thing. What is better; curing a disease or making the patient for life dependant on your cure?

Cue ong's conspiracies

If a guy has a disease, and thorugh changing his diet he makes himself independent of medication, how is that bad?

Yes, but if you eat less of everything (i.e., less calories), you will also starve your body of glucose and it will burn fat. It's the same principle, just not so radical and without the risks.

Bottom line is, if you have a short term goal to lose weight, keto will do that. If you have a long term goal to be healthy, you need a more balanced diet.
    Once I get to maintenance, we'll see. The thing is, I do not get hungry nor get real cravings. It's fucking odd.

So, right now I'm in drop so I'm moving accordingly. 60 to go. Hopefully I'm there by May.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    You should be doing exercise whether you want to lose weight or not. You can do more to lose weight but if the only time you work out is when you see yourself getting fat, you're kinda missing the point of exercise. It's a preventative thing, not a curative thing.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't exercise, I'm saying if you add exercise to this diet you will get boost benefits, much better than exercise or diet alone. But particularly keto/IF/exercise you will be getting multiplier boost to get results really fast

This all assumes overweight starting position of course.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    They maybe pushing another "fad" diet on this particular site.

Edit: Aha!
    https://coach.nine.com.au/2018/11/01...ealth-benefits

"How switching to a plant-based diet could make you healthier, lighter and happier"
    lol, that's not a "fad" Jack, that's the modern consensus of nutritionists. It's actually backed by real research showing that plants are better for your body than animals. It's not controversial at all.

He used to drink at least 2L of coke on the daily before.
    This is like someone with lung cancer smoking a box of cigars a day. Once I read that, I would not listen to anything else this guy said, and would just assume he's a bit of a twit tbh.

Incentives is a powerful thing. What is better; curing a disease or making the patient for life dependant on your cure?
    I'm going out on a limb here and guessing his doctors weren't telling him to drink 2L of coke a day. Even big pharma doesn't do that. Even fuckign coca cola doesn't do that.

If a guy has a disease, and thorugh changing his diet he makes himself independent of medication, how is that bad?
    My suspicion was about whether what he cut out was a lot more important than what he added, and I think the 2L coke per day habit confirmed that.

Tell me, if you drink a teaspoon of bleach every day and have a really sore throat all the time, then switch your diet in all kinds of ways, one of which is no longer drinking bleach, do you think the other changes are more likely to be responsible for your improved health, or the fact that you've stopped poisoning yourself.

Extreme example obv., but it makes my point.

Once I get to maintenance, we'll see. The thing is, I do not get hungry nor get real cravings. It's fucking odd.

So, right now I'm in drop so I'm moving accordingly. 60 to go. Hopefully I'm there by May.
    Ok well good luck. I hope you lose the weight you want and after that start eating healthier.
    lol, that's not a "fad" Jack, that's the modern consensus of nutritionists. It's actually backed by real research showing that plants are better for your body than animals. It's not controversial at all.
    So if a guy has an unhealthy obsession, which led him to wreck his health, and yet he then fixes it, you automatically discard all his advice and opinions?

Coca Cola wants you to drink as much of its shit as it can sell you. It's a business. Do you believe they give 2 shits about their consumers health as long as they keep buying their black goo?

Ok well good luck. I hope you lose the weight you want and after that start eating healthier.
    Thanks, I will keep investigating

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    This was the actual quote I was responding to

This is like someone with lung cancer smoking a box of cigars a day. Once I read that, I would not listen to anything else this guy said, and would just assume he's a bit of a twit tbh.
    I just showed you how an all plant diet affects the teeth and leads to actual malnutrition longterm and stuff

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    So if a guy has an unhealthy obsession, which led him to wreck his health, and yet he then fixes it, you automatically discard all his advice and opinions?
    No, but I start from the premise that he can't be too sharp if he's just learning now that sugary drinks are bad for you, and even worse when you have diabetes.

Then if he goes on to say "and now I not only stopped drinking poison, but I started eating some other different things, and it's the latter that is the biggest contributor to my improved health", I think ya he's not getting any sharper.

That all said, there's some evidence that limiting carbs is good for diabetes. I'm gonna guess that it largely boils down to limiting the correct kinds of carbs though, the ones that kick the pancreas hard like soft drinks do.

Coca Cola wants you to drink as much of its shit as it can sell you. It's a business. Do you believe they give 2 shits about their consumers health as long as they keep buying their black goo?
    I know they do. But even they don't try to pretend the shit is healthy.
    I'm not at all surprised to find out that Jack is an intelligent person whom isn't making changes to his health based on whimsy.
    (FTR takes nutrition seriously, and people here do intense research into it, which isn't frequently a topic of conversation, but when it comes up, the knowledge bombs start droppin'.)

I am interested in what wuf has to say on the Keto thing, given the time separation between now and when he was an apostle of ketolicism.
    It's pretty disappointing that he only shows up to drop a troll post and then disappears. He used to lead some wild conversations.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    I am interested in what wuf has to say on the Keto thing, given the time separation between now and when he was an apostle of ketolicism.

On carnivore diet. Almost to full elimination (gonna purge coffee and half n half this weekend to finally achieve only meat and salt).
    I'm guessing there's no internet in the hospital.
    Jack is so right and Poop couldn't be more wrong (Nutritionists are the witch doctors of the 21st century). WUF, I don't post anymore, can you straighten out the unenlightened.

I'm out again....
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Nutritionists are the witch doctors of the 21st century
    Had to wikipedia this since not sure what terms are regulated in the US. Looks like Certified Nutrition Specialists (CNS) and Registered dietitian nutritionists (RD, RDN) are people one should listen to, any others probably not. Those are actually licensed and trained professionals with maybe some credibility.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Harvard Medical School - home of the witch doctors.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I don't have an opinion whether or not keto is good or bad for you, but if you go on keto because of Dr Retardo over there, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
    Problem 1: Apple Airpods. Retarded.
    2: "it good because history"
    No, breadmaking is 10,000 years old. We didn't just start eating grain 60 years ago, like he seems to suggest. Even if that was true, it's a fallacy. We did dentistry using a hammer for most of human history. The amount of time we've been doing something has no correlation to how good of an idea it is.
    3: The only alternative to a ketogenic diet is TV Dinner. Is it really?
    4: Now he remembers agricultural history, but he states "the majority of our diet came from fatty meats" This is not my understanding, and he doesn't cite sources, and even if it was true, it doesn't mean shit.
    5: Big food corporations and "the government" want you to eat unhealthy, because... ? Not sure he really got into that. Citation needed.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Bananastand not doing so great.

Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I don't have an opinion whether or not keto is good or bad for you, but if you go on keto because of Dr Retardo over there, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
    I already suggested he not get his 'facts' from youtube, but alas...

No official guide has ever suggested eating 5-10 cups of vegetables a day; that's 10-20 servings unless all you eat is lettuce, in which case it's only 5-10 servings, or about 1 1/2 heads of lettuce a day. And why would you only eat lettuce? That's retarded. The official recommendation these days is 5-7 servings of veg/fruit a day, so 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups, a bit more if some of it is salad.

6-11 servings of grain? The recommendation is 3-5.

https://www.safefood.eu/Healthy-Eati...d-Pyramid.aspx

It's kinda comical how these fad diet guys claim to know so much about our diet 200k years ago, and argue that early humans ate shitloads of meat. There's recent evidence primitive tribes eat whatever is around them (shock!). Oh, and the healthiest are those who eat both meat and plants.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...aharan-tribes/

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/05/h...ion/index.html

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_f...pFile/file.pdf

As for ancient history, pretty much the same story: People ate whatever was around. Some had more meat than others, but

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/f...ution-of-diet/

Also not convinced the food guide is a government conspiracy to benefit farmers.

About the only thing he gets right is that processed foods aren't good for you. But there's no-one suggesting we put processed foods on the food pyramid either. Guess the lobbyists haven't gotten around to that yet.
    It's a good way to lose weight, yup.

But, how many people doing a normal keto diet get fed a supplement that fills in all the spaces in their nutrition? Here's what they gave people in this study.

Composition of the capsule*
    Para-aminobenzoic acid (PH) 30 mg
    Vitamin B1 (thiamin mononitrate) (BP) 15 mg
    Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) (BP) 3 mg
    Vitamin B5 (nicotinamide) (BP) 25 mg
    Vitamin B3 (calcium pantothenate) (PH) 3 mg
    Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCI) (BP) 5 mg
    Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin) (BP) 10 μg
    Biotin (PH) 5 μg
    Folic acid (BP) 100 μg
    Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) BP 60 mg
    Vitamin A (retinol) (USP; 2000 IU) 0.6 mg
    Vitamin D (calciferol) (INN; 200 IU) 5 μg
    Vitamin E (tocopherol acetate) (USNF) 10 mg
    Lecithin (PH) 40 mg
    Wheat germ oil 100 mg
    Lysine (FP) 40 mg
    Methionine (DAB) 60 mg
    Rutin (DAB) (rutoside) (INN) 10 mg
    Iron (as fumarate; BP) 12 mg
    Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate) (BP) 52 mg
    Phosphorus (as dicalcium phosphate) (BP) 40 mg
    Potassium (as KCl) (BP) 2 mg
    Zinc (as ZnSO4) (BP) 8 mg
    Copper (as CuSO4) (BP) 1 mg
    Manganese (as MnSO4) (BP) 2 mg
    Iodine (as potassium iodide) (BP) trace
    Ginseng (Siberian) (5:1 concentrated extract) 4 mg

Basically, you can accomplish all the same things by eating a balanced diet, getting some exercise, and you won't need to take supplements either.
    ^^

Also highlights an obvious flaw in the logic of this diet. If primitive man ate like this and was super healthy why do you have to take huge numbers of these supplements? Do they suppose primitive man had vitamin pills too?
    Shut the fuck up everyone. Jeez.

Here's something to talk about... I'm going to attempt to go full time poker pro. I'm playing £0.25/£0.50 short stack games, 10bb buy in. I've won just shy of £300 in 3 days. Gonna grind through December and reassess at the end of the year, but I only need £50 a day to get by, so my target for December is £1k and I'm reasonably confident I can do it. I shouldn't be playing these games based on bankroll, but at the same time I'll be surprised if there's many at these games with bigger rolls than me. These guys are fucking degens, they're mostly loading up from their bank accounts as they lose.

If £500 isn't enough to take the swings, I don't see how I can ever play at stakes that can provide me with an income. So fuck it, it's worth a shot.
    ongies gonna ong
    That's stupid but you don't need me to tell you that.

I thought you had a job now?
    I don't see how I can ever play at stakes that can provide me with an income. So fuck it, it's worth a shot.
    You can't but at the same time that's good as you won't win that those stakes anyway.
    That's stupid but you don't need me to tell you that.

I thought you had a job now?
    Did you really think that job would last more than six months?

And call me stupid at the end of December when I have no bankroll.
    ongies gonna ong
    Why can't I play at stakes that provide me with an income? I've already earned a week's wages in three days, and no I have not been running particularly good. I seem to be taking plenty of angry notes, I guarantee the amount that villains "owe" me is more than my bankroll.

There's money to be made because some people are moving with any ace, any pair, any suited paint, hell I've had unsuited junk call my shoves, I've been called on turn to a £15 shove by ace high drawing dead, I regularly get my jams called with draws that don't have the pot odds, it's a fucking cesspit of moronity.

£500 is 100BI. Yes it's only 1000bb, and yes variance is ridiculously high, but I have nothing to lose. What happens if I go broke? My life doesn't change. What happens if things continue as they have done for the last three days? My life changes for the better.

I kinda feel like I'd be stupid to not try again to make money from poker. This last few days is better than when I was grinding a small profit at $25nl with a proper bankroll. I feel like I've found a game I can just about afford to play that is soft enough for me to dominate. If I'm wrong, I lose a grand total of a fiver, which is how much I put onto this poker site around three months ago. In that time, I've been playing stakes I should play at, and getting nowhere. I'm basically playing for entertainment. Fuck entertainment, I can watch tv for that and not have the stress. I want an income.
    ongies gonna ong
    Bankroll management is for people who can't afford to or are scared to go broke.
    ongies gonna ong
    I say if you want to give it a shot, go for it. Obv Savy is going to tell you its' a bad idea no matter what you do, so you can safely ignore that.

Personally I find PLO much more full of twits than NLHE at any given stake though.
    I've played PLO for a period at $25nl at it's savage. I was doing ok for a while but I really did get the sense I was out of my depth because I didn't really know what I should be doing in a lot of spots. It's easier to cry cooler and say you're not getting away from a set in NLHE than PLO.

Also, savy is right, I'm not going to claim otherwise. If I saw some random show up here and say he's going to run at 0.25/0.50 with a £500 BR I'd advice he reassess his plan. But it's because I'd assume he's a noob who doesn't understand the risks. I'm not a noob, I know what variance is. But I'm basically rolling dice where I get paid for 3, 4, 5, and 6 while I lose to a 1 and 2. I'm doing this over and over again.Probability of me going broke is much lower than my rivals who are simply gambling.
    ongies gonna ong
    The reason I genuinely don't find it appealing anymore is the volume you need to play to be reasonably unaffected by variance. This goes even more so for PLO. I don't think a 100BI roll is too conservative for PLO at all. You should be willing to play for stacks every hand you play. If you can't do that, you need to drop down, because it will make you play bad PLO... goes for NLH as well, but more so for PLO.
    Last edited by oskar; 11-27-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    When you compare it to the number of hours per week you have to be someone's bitch at a job you hate, it seems preferable. I know the life of a poker player isn't as fun as it's made out to be, there's a huge mental challenge that goes with it. But it's a walk in the park compared to taking shit from your boss, knowing if you say something out of line you're out of a job. I can't do that, it crushes me. At least with poker, it's on me, and me alone.

Just had a losing session, 3BI down after two hours. I felt like I was running really fucking bad, so I was happy to see the damage wasn't too bad. And it would've been a winning session had my AKs beat JJ and AJ in a 3way race for a 45bb pot. It's the AJ in that hand that makes it so easy to win money. He called his stack with two shoves in front of him, and it's a standard call in these games for most people (not me obviously). I struggle to lay down AQs in that spot, since I know how wide people are, but AJo is a sigh fold, while me and the JJ are paying rake to cooler each other. That's how it should be, and if that's what was happening, I wouldn't be playing these stakes.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    This goes even more so for PLO. I don't think a 100BI roll is too conservative for PLO at all. You should be willing to play for stacks every hand you play.
    Yeah, well maybe stop playing at Phil Galfond stakes.

The only time I see this is when there's a maniac at the table.
    I say if you want to give it a shot, go for it. Obv Savy is going to tell you its' a bad idea no matter what you do, so you can safely ignore that.
    That's just not even remotely true.

I don't think it's bad due to BRM, if your roll is £500 and you go busto it doesn't matter. BRM is for not oing retarded shit like playing 100nl with 2BI or if you are actually playing properly and your poker roll matters as it is linked to life roll.

The reason I don't think this is a good idea is because they are lol winrates that no one has in games like that, would still require work that ong probably won't put in both on and off the table.

Ong doesn't exactly spend much money he could literally work for 3 months and then be sorted money wise to play 25nlz which he probably is a slight loser in but more than capable of beating if he put the work in. Chances are if you've never put the effort in to beat poker at some reasonable stake even though you basically don't do anything all day it's unlikely you start doing it tomorrow.
    Lol, of course. I'm wrong too.
    It isn't an issue that he goes busto in fact I don't think he does. He will be winning in those games just not anywhere at the rate he has extrapolated. It isn't even an issue if he does go bust because it's £500 and when your life expenses are so low that isn't a lot of money even if you work a minimum wage part time job.

It's stupid because what is the point? £50 a day which is unlikely. Just go make money doing something you actually like and benefit from.
    I like playing poker. Or, more to the point, I like working when I please, I like not taking people's shit, I like not having to commute, I like being able to smoke weed while working. The playing poker bit is actually quite tedious at times, but not nearly as tedious as stacking shelves at Tesco, or picking and packing for Amazon.

We'll talk about what I can seriously expect to earn at the end of December, we both know we can take fuck all from a few days playing. All I can say with certainty is that I'm way better than average in these games, and that means I should expect to win unless I get brutally unlucky. How much remains to be seen, but if it's £50 a day or more over the course of a month, I'm calling myself a pro.
    ongies gonna ong
    You're right about me being too lazy to put the work in, and it's something I wish I could fix. But why lie to myself? Even if I started with good intentions, it's a matter of time before I start slacking in that regard. I've been there.

But look, my goal is not to work my way up though the stakes and be on tv. As nice as that would be, I'm just not good enough, and far too lazy to get better. But if I can crush these games without the work, if I can earn £1k a month by lazily clicking buttons, then that's good enough for me, and that is something I can keep doing without being daunted by the workload.
    ongies gonna ong
    Call yourself a pro now, it's about as meaningless a statement as you can make. I'm a poker pro I think I've made about $5 in the past month or so.
    It means main source of income = poker. Poker currently isn't my main source of income, I haven't cashed out anything in some time. When I put money into my bank for the purpose of living off, that's what I mean by being pro, not a cute way of saying I'm making x amount of money, where x can be slightly above fuck all.
    ongies gonna ong

It's stupid because what is the point? £50 a day which is unlikely. Just go make money doing something you actually like and benefit from.
    There's nothing he likes in the realm of real jobs. Where have you been?
    Made £40 today before breakfast. I haven't even had a wank yet.
    ongies gonna ong
    pic of me from the weekend. Pulling honey on a cold and rainy day. Talk of ong's pro poker career doesn't seem that random.
    bees_vs_poker.jpg
    Last edited by daven; 11-28-2018 at 05:12 AM.
    Trust dozer's first commune post in forever to be "no poker in the commune".
    ongies gonna ong
    Ok here's something totally random...

I work one day a week at Oxfam as a volunteer.
    ongies gonna ong
    Made £40 today before breakfast. I haven't even had a wank yet.
    The second sentence points toward an entirely different possible revenue stream for you
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    If I could get paid to wank, I'd be a millionaire by now.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    pic of me from the weekend. Pulling honey on a cold and rainy day. Talk of ong's pro poker career doesn't seem that random.
    bees_vs_poker.jpg
    Only wimps wear bee suits.
    If I could get paid to wank, I'd be a millionaire by now.
    No-one is going to pay to watch a man wank. Why don't you try berating people while they wank like banana was doing?
    bees_vs_poker.jpg
    Looks like you didn't smoke the hive before messing with it. If you did... those look like some damn aggressive bees.

So go on... tell us all about how much honey you're getting, or how much money for renting them out as polinators, or whatever.
    I never met a beekeeper that didn't want to talk about it. Are you the first?
    Got offered a teaching job, fml working life is starting. Thankfully not til January.
    wow, ong the poker pro and oxfam volunteer, savy becoming an adult, things have changed

Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Looks like you didn't smoke the hive before messing with it. If you did... those look like some damn aggressive bees.

So go on... tell us all about how much honey you're getting, or how much money for renting them out as polinators, or whatever.
    I never met a beekeeper that didn't want to talk about it. Are you the first?
    yep smoked, a bit aggro, raining and about 7degrees celsius in a hive boiling with bees.
    Loads of honey, nil money, all a bit dull really
    Don't worry, any opportunity I have to make it fall through I'll be taking.
    Got offered a teaching job, fml working life is starting. Thankfully not til January.

Hey, congrats, man!
    What will you be teaching? Subject(s) and level(s)?
    wow, ong the poker pro and oxfam volunteer, savy becoming an adult, things have changed
    You missed the part where I'm an iron-fisted dictator who hates free speech.
    Also, ong is the reasonable mod, now, seeing as how I'm all about fascism.

yep smoked, a bit aggro, raining and about 7degrees celsius in a hive boiling with bees.
    Loads of honey, nil money, all a bit dull really
    Wow. At least they're thriving, I guess. I know basically nothing about bee-keeping, but don't you usually want to split the hive before it gets that big? Or is that only if there's a new queen to support a new hive?

What'cha doin' with all that honey if not selling it?
    I'll buy some. If you're interested, send me a PM.
    I love honey and especially if it's not clover honey, as that's about all we have in the US without going to a farmer's market or international foods store.

Hey, congrats, man!
    What will you be teaching? Subject(s) and level(s)?
    Just Maths and 11-16 so KS3 and GCSE basically. The school has some younger pupils too which I may try and get some experience with in terms of teaching methods etc as it can only help for understanding the transition from primary to secondary school. Ideally I want to be teaching A-level too so I need to make sure I look at doing something to keep my experience in that up so it's viable in the future.

School is tiny, I'm pretty sure the Maths department is just me and the head of maths which could be good or bad. He seems pretty clued up and I'd have thought that'd make me more involved in the decision making process that goes on in the department to some degree which is always good experience.
    Fury was robbed.
    Anybody play any table top games?
    I'm looking to purchase a new one for the upcoming holidays and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good one.

Any category, really. I'll look up gameplay on YouTube, so you don't need to get into too much detail about the mechanics, but stating why you like the game would be nice.

FWIW, I played Sagrada recently and enjoyed it. It was a light game which was easy to tell stories over and not lose track of where the game was. There was some minimal strategy, but the longest decision took less than 5 minutes.
    Just noticed: next Thursday will be the 10-year anniversary of the Randomness Thread... it has over 1.3 million views.
    Anybody play any table top games?
    I'm looking to purchase a new one for the upcoming holidays and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good one.

Any category, really. I'll look up gameplay on YouTube, so you don't need to get into too much detail about the mechanics, but stating why you like the game would be nice.

FWIW, I played Sagrada recently and enjoyed it. It was a light game which was easy to tell stories over and not lose track of where the game was. There was some minimal strategy, but the longest decision took less than 5 minutes.

Wildlands

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ame-ever-made/

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    This link is full of tabletop games

https://arstechnica.com/series/ars-cardboard/

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    That actually looks kinda fun, but then I saw it was £40 on Amazon. Not sure it's that much fun.

I also miss board games from when I was a kid. Careers was one, there was another where you bought and sold different cars (can't remember the name). Even parcheesi was fun. Ah, the good old days....

Edit: Oh and the one where the die is in a plastic bubble and you 'roll' it by pressing the bubble. Don't remember much of the rest of the game but pressing that bubble was a hoot.
    Wow. At least they're thriving, I guess. I know basically nothing about bee-keeping, but don't you usually want to split the hive before it gets that big? Or is that only if there's a new queen to support a new hive?

What'cha doin' with all that honey if not selling it?
    I'll buy some. If you're interested, send me a PM.
    I love honey and especially if it's not clover honey, as that's about all we have in the US without going to a farmer's market or international foods store.
    splits are only if you want more hives or aren't capable enough to prevent swarming any other way.

i gave away quite a bit of honey last year, anticipate donating just under a tonne to a community project i'm involved with this year. Might get set up for selling honey in 2019, not sure if i want that sideline though.
    Sending honey overseas is a hassle, if you know people passing through new zealand i'll happily give them a few kg to take back with them. Else, where in the world are you? looks like i'll be moving a bit for work in 2019, so might be able to get some to you via domestic post wherever you are edit: legit just googled to find out where St Louis Minnesota is, then second guessed and looked up missouri probably don't need to answer that where in the world question unless it's not there
    Last edited by daven; 12-07-2018 at 04:59 AM.
    St Louis, Missouri is the one. I'll PM you my full address.
    Also, I'm happy to cover any shipping costs and def. willing to pay you for the honey, if you do end up sending any.

Don't go out of your way, though. This is selfishly opportunistic on my part, and I'm certain the farmer's market has some local honey at least during the right season.
    ** clover honey **

Fuck I didn't know there were different varieties of honey, I only thought there was real honey and fake honey

And I absolutely love honey, even though it's on my current ban list

https://www.quora.com/What-is-clover...from-bee-honey

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    You're in for some good times and a lifelong quest, I bet. At least... assuming that "current" ban list is temporary.

I love honey, too, and my first exposure to a non-clover honey was a bamboo honey from Korea that was much sweeter than I expected.

I've had other bamboo honeys, and sometimes they have a smokey flavor that I don't really like... although... I bet they'd be great on some stewed carrots.
    Yep. I definitely have to try that, now.

Oh... I ended up going with a game recommended by one of my coworkers, but thanks for the link. Wildlands looks like a fun game, and I'll be keeping it in mind for future purchases.

EDIT: the game I got is called Santorini
    Dozer send me some honey, Michael, Manchester UK should get it to me.
    Politics aside,

How come raspberries taste so bitter?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>