Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 349 of 420 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399 ... LastLast
Results 26,101 to 26,175 of 31490
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I think it's Dutch, but it has that Germanic compound word quality that I just love.
    Well, Dutch and German are basically two different dialects of the same language. My Grandmother was Dutch and could understand "Low" German but not speak it.

Also, dachshund = badger hound.

here's some more:

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/t...w-to-use-them/
    Live auctions are fun. So I just bought two fake Rolex's and probably a fake Armani, along with a few other watches, for £4.

The Rolex's, they're almost certainly fake. But the Armani, I can't tell. They're not that expensive, so it could be real, and it feels nice, much nicer than the Rolex's.

Got the guitar too, paid £16 for it, I think it's worth £50 ish but I'm probably going to keep it, at least for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Nerdy girls are the best!

This sounds kinda Mexican... are you nerds into this?
    Hahahaha, nope

It does sound cool though
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Hahahaha, nope

It does sound cool though

I can't help myself with pushing that YouTube channel lately.

I agree that the sound is really good.
    The original is in Spanish, called Despacito.
    It's catchy as all hell.

I can't help myself with pushing that YouTube channel lately.

I agree that the sound is really good.
    The original is in Spanish, called Despacito.
    It's catchy as all hell.

Hahaha yeah I know Despacito

BTW it's the one song literally everyone wants to sing along yet no one can

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    I think it's Dutch, but it has that Germanic compound word quality that I just love.
    The German word for vacuum cleaner translates to dust-sucker
    The word for lightbulb translates to glowing-pear.
    One of their words for airplane (flugzeug) is flying-thing.
    Yup, Dutch indeed, I was like "WTF is a protractor? How does it protract? WTF is protracting anyway"

Geodriehoek literally translates to "geometric triangle", and when you look at it, that's kind of what it is.

And yes, compounds. I mean, I am accustomed to them but that does not mean I love them. German to me sounds like Bizarro Dutch. Flugzeug and Vliegtuig sound about the same, but it's written differently. Vlieg is flying and Tuig is like thug but is mostly used to fill words, like "equipment" is werktuig". And that is the difference between these two languages in a nutshell.

The words may differ, but the concept to arrive at those words is the same.

Koelkast > Kühlschrank > Cool Cupboard or Cabinet > Fridge
    Handschoen > Handschuh > Hand Shoe > Glove

The writing though, is much different, with Capitalization playing an integral part.

Needless to say, I can't really speak German though
    Last edited by Jack Sawyer; 09-27-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    BTW it's the one song literally everyone wants to sing along yet no one can
    Then people NEED the link I provided above.
    It feels so good to harmonize with that song.

"Signal mapping tells each region what it ought to be, yo!,
    with circuits so deeply built upon, they're older than the Paleo!"
    (The Paleozoic Era, baby!)

Dude rhymes "Paleo" with "to be, yo."
    Mad skillz.
    Geodriehoek literally translates to "geometric triangle", and when you look at it, that's kind of what it is.

Wait sorry, I don't have a Tucker Carlson meme handy atm, but I'm pretty sure 'hoek' in Dutch means corner or angle or somethign simiiar.

Or are you calling my Grandma a liar??? Aarrarghghgghg!!!

mod note - fixed quote bracket
    Last edited by OngBonga; 09-27-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Today's geometry meltdown...

You have a tetrahedron, and a square based pyramid with equilateral triangle faces the same size as those on the tetrahedron.

You put the tetrahedron and the pyramid together so two traingles fit, creating one new shape. How many faces does your new shape have?
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Today's geometry meltdown...

You have a tetrahedron, and a square based pyramid with equilateral triangle faces the same size as those on the tetrahedron.

You put the tetrahedron and the pyramid together so two traingles fit, creating one new shape. How many faces does your new shape have?
    Why is 7 incorrect?
    I'm not great with 3-d shapes and their propeties, could you line it up so that 2 more of the sides turn into 1 side? I still don't see why 7 would be wrong though.
    Is the answer 5?

2 tetrahedrons on opposite faces of an octohedron makes a parallelpiped, a tilted rectangular prism.
    A square-based pyramid with equilateral triangles for sides is half an octahedron.

It's still tough to visualize an asymmetric slice of that shape.

Total before mating is 9.
    Mating removes 2.
    The alignment of 2 of the planes of the tetrahedron is in the same plane as 2 of the sides, so remove 2 more.
    Is the answer 5?

2 tetrahedrons on opposite faces of an octohedron makes a parallelpiped, a tilted rectangular prism.
    A square-based pyramid with equilateral triangles for sides is half an octahedron.

Mating removes 2.
    The alignment of 2 of the planes of the tetrahedron is in the same plane as 2 of the sides, so remove 2 more.
    I'm wrong in that 6 is incorrect as it should be 5 but why is 7 wrong? (I'm a bit drunk, if this is already obvious)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Wait sorry, I don't have a Tucker Carlson meme handy atm, but I'm pretty sure 'hoek' in Dutch means corner or angle or somethign simiiar.

Or are you calling my Grandma a liar??? Aarrarghghgghg!!!

mod note - fixed quote bracket

Hoek = angle/corner

Driehoek = "three angle/corner" = triangle
    Last edited by Jack Sawyer; 09-28-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Cogito ergo sum

Hey, I'm in a movie!
    Hoek = angle/corner

Driehoek = "three angle/corner" = triangle
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks.
    Is the answer 5?

Mating removes 2.
    winner

7 is wrong, because there is no way to attach the two shapes in a way that two triangle faces exactly match, without aligning the triangles to form one flat face.This happens twice, so four of the triangles will meet to form two faces, meaning we're losing two more faces beyond the two that initially join.

It's a strange answer because the pyrmaid has five faces, and we're not gaining any faces adding a tetrahedron..
    ongies gonna ong
    It isn't that strange though when you think about it.. I mean, you can take a cube, and cut it into two pieces, with both of those pieces having as many faces as you can be bothered to intricately create. It depends how you cut it, you could literally have thousands of faces. But no matter how you cut it, you can always put them back together to make a cube with six faces.

So in that example, we can see that it doesn't matter how many faces we start with.
    ongies gonna ong
    Here's a visualisation to make it really clear. It's worth noting the apparent source of this question... it was in a test, and the test makers thought the answer was 7! One kid said five, proved it, and got his score changed. But they didn't mark down those who got it wrong!

Seems a bit far-fetched, but it's still a good problem.

skip to 1.10 to see the visualisation
    ongies gonna ong
    I got it wrong, I said 6, I figured one side was flat, but I did consider if 5 could be the answer. I was unable to solve it though, I just couldn't figure out how to prove it and answered purely on intution.
    ongies gonna ong
    When I was a teenager, I made the regular polyherda out of toothpicks.
    I noticed the relationship visually at the time, and did some looking into it and found that what I thought I saw was correct.

If you build a unit cell out of an octahedron with 2 tetrahedrons on opposite faces, it is a space-filling tessellating unit.
    Now write a number on each face and ROLL FOR INITIATIVE!!

nerds...
    Here's a visualisation to make it really clear.
    Yeah, there's an argument in the comments that is helpful and elegant.

If you put 2 of the square base pyramids side by side, sharing an edge of their base,
    then it's clear that the appropriate sides of those pyramids are coplanar, by construction.
    (The sides have bases which are colinear, and their vertices imply a line parallel to their base.)

If you construct that line connecting the peaks of the pyramids, you construct the regular tetrahedron*,
    which, since it shares all vertices with 2 coplanar shapes, is coplanar to those shapes, too.

*We know 2 of its faces are equilateral triangles, since they mate perfectly to the "inner" sides of the pyramids,
    and we know that the distance between the 2 peaks of the pyramids is also equal to the edge lengths of all the edges under discussion.
    So by extension, we've proved that all the edge lengths of the constructed tetrahedron are equal, and thus it is a regular tetrahedron.
    Anyone want to buy a Rolex Oyster Perpetual?

Battery included...
    ongies gonna ong
    Anyone want to buy a Rolex Oyster Perpetual?

Battery included...
    No but I am in the market for some used conical flasks.
    That attempt at a joke is just going to go over people's heads, isn't it?

Rolex don't have batteries, they're mechanical. Especially the Perpetual, which winds itself up using the motion of the filthy rich owner.

Mine have batteries.
    ongies gonna ong
    I once had an egregiously good night playing 2/5 NL at Foxwoods. Up well over $5k and I decided that I was willing to spent as much as $1,000 on a watch.

There's a rolex store at Foxwoods, but they also sell other brands too. I didn't expect to get anything top of the line for a G, but I figured I could get something nice enough to impress some club sluts.

What I didn't expect was to get laughed out of the store. I was like "I'm looking for a new watch, budget is about $1K". the guy was like "heh....not here"
    I think the watch market is fucking nuts. Admittedly I can see the value of Rolex when I peer inside a fake. And it's a decent quality fake, on the surface it fooled my mate. It does look nice. But the value is in the craftmanship. My "Rolex", the second hand "ticks" every second. A true Rolex, it constantly moves because it's a constant release of mechanical energy, not an electron travelling through a quartz at a regular interval.

It's actually nice to learn something about watches in trying to find out if I hit the jackpot with a £4 bag of watch bits. I'm not disappointed, since I never expected them to be real. Who the fuck sells two real Rolex's at a live auction in the middle of butt fuck nowhere?

Dunno what to do with them though. They still have a value, and it's difficult to know what the best value is without pretending they're real. I don't think I can sell them on ebay, even if I list them as fake.
    ongies gonna ong
    That attempt at a joke is just going to go over people's heads, isn't it?

Rolex don't have batteries, they're mechanical. Especially the Perpetual, which winds itself up using the motion of the filthy rich owner.

Mine have batteries.
    You gotta run those kinds of jokes past people who buy/wear very expensive watches for them to work I guess. Or at least people who buy cheap knock-offs at auctions.
    It's actually nice to learn something about watches in trying to find out if I hit the jackpot with a £4 bag of watch bits. I'm not disappointed, since I never expected them to be real. Who the fuck sells two real Rolex's at a live auction in the middle of butt fuck nowhere?
    Imma goin' out on a limb here and guess nobody?

I'm glad you got some excitement out of the whole thing though.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 09-29-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Ong if you see one of these at an auction going for £5, you should buy it.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/...FU0QGwod_t4IUA
    Don't limit yourself to watches either. There's got to be a few of these floating around, you can probably pick one up at an auction for less than a tenner.

https://www.history.co.uk/shows/ulti...expensive-cars
    If a real one costs enough to get laughed at for offering $1k to buy it, then yah.
    The odds of you getting one for $4 anywhere is about 0.

Sounds like Ongie didn't ever have the curiosity before to look into the highest of tech in watches.
    $4 for the inspiration to learn about something cool is a steal, IMO.
    If a real one costs enough to get laughed at for offering $1k to buy it, then yah.
    The odds of you getting one for $4 anywhere is about 0.
    I'm sure there's been people who have bought something cheap at an auction that turned out to have a lot of value; but I'm guessing it's almost exclusively things where the real value wasn't known to the seller, like some ancient heirloom or artifact or something.

Anyone who owns a real Rolex is not selling it at some small-town auction with no reserve price.
    The ONLY way you get something like this legit turn up at an auction of the type I'm going to is if you have a complete dumbass who has the traumatic job of disposing of his late Father's belongings, something like that. It does happen, but probability is quite near zero for sure. Who the fuck looks at a Rolex and thinks "meh, worth fuck all"?

There's definitely money to be made at auctions. I go with my friend who is a Hornby dealer. He'll pick up a few boxes for something like £100 a box, and turn over a tidy enough profit to work full time. There's a lot of stuff that's being sold by families dealing with inheritance, people who have no time or will to list things properly on ebay for maximum value. It's kind of weird, when you realise you're maybe looking at a dead person's life in a few boxes of stuff.

There's also money to be lost though. After I paid £4 for my bag of watch bits, there was another auction with a "Rolex" in it that went for around £100. I doubt very much that was real either.
    ongies gonna ong
    Ya I meant buying something for £10 that's worth £10k. I'm sure you can get a lot of bargains at auctions.
    In whihc case I agree, the chances of hitting the jackpot at a shitty auction is next to fuck all, but if you're seeking a modest return, they're a great place to be.
    ongies gonna ong
    Ok then, here's another geometry problem for you all...

I am on the surface Earth, and I walk south for one mile, then west for one mile, then north for one mile, and I end up back where I began.

Where am I?

Hint - there's more than one answer.
    ongies gonna ong
    Hypothetically if the world wasn't flat....

Just start half a mile north of the equater and you're back where you start.
    The world doesn't need to be flat. I didn't say your path has to be straight.

And nope, the equator isn't doing it. You walk south to the equator, then walk west for one mile, then walk one mile north, you'll find yourself almost precisely one mile west of your starting point.
    ongies gonna ong
    Ok then, here's another geometry problem for you all...

I am on the surface Earth, and I walk south for one mile, then west for one mile, then north for one mile, and I end up back where I began.

Where am I?

Hint - there's more than one answer.
    1. North pole.

2. Magnetic north pole and ur using a compass rather than whatever you use for 1 above.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 10-02-2018 at 09:53 AM.
    North Pole is one, but the geographical one, since it's what defines the directions. A compass would simply be slightly wrong.

So you found one location. Now find the other infinite number.

Hint... none of them are anywhere near the North Pole.
    ongies gonna ong
    The other is a ring of points 1 mile north of the ring of circumference 1 mile, just north of the S pole.
    You walk south 1 mile.
    Then 1 mile west around a circle of circumference 1 mile, so you're back where you started walking west.
    Then 1 mile north retraces your first move.
    North Pole is one, but the geographical one, since it's what defines the directions. A compass would simply be slightly wrong.
    I disagree - they're two separate reference frames, so using either would work depending on where you started from. A Satnav guide would use the geographic N. Pole and so would fill your criteria for that one, whereas a compass guide would use the magnetic north pole and so that would work too if that's where you started from.
    The other is a ring of points 1 mile north of the ring of circumference 1 mile, just north of the S pole.
    You walk south 1 mile.
    Then 1 mile west around a circle of circumference 1 mile, so you're back where you started walking west.
    You can't travel west from the S. Pole; every direction is north.
    You could, however, start from any point 'x' < 1 mile N of the S. Pole, go 1 mile S to be at 1-x miles North, go west one mile, then go north one mile such that at 1-x you hit the S. Pole again, and then, given any direction from there is N., you just pick the N. that gets you back to where you started from.
    You walk south 1 mile.
    Winner. Although, you only found infinity solutions here. There's infinity squared solutions.
    ongies gonna ong
    You can't travel west from the S. Pole; every direction is north.
    He's not walking to the south pole, just close to it, close enough that to walk west or east is to walk in a circle one mile in circumference.
    ongies gonna ong
    You walk south 1 mile.
    Do you mean - you start at a distance from the S. Pole such that your first 1 mile S walk gets you to a point where the westward circle takes you entirely around the S. pole 360 degrees, back to where you started walking west.

Yeah, that works too.
    You could, however, start from any point 'x' < 1 mile N of the S. Pole, go 1 mile S to be at 1-x miles North, go west one mile, then go north one mile such that at 1-x you hit the S. Pole again, and then, given any direction from there is N., you just pick the N. that gets you back to where you started from.
    Not quite working. The problem here is you can't get to the south pole by walking west (or east), and you can only walk north when you get there. So the order of operations is impossible.
    ongies gonna ong
    Do you mean - you start at a distance from the S. Pole such that your first 1 mile S walk gets you to a point where the westward circle takes you entirely around the S. pole 360 degrees, back to where you started walking west.

Yeah, that works too.
    Yeah you've got it.
    ongies gonna ong
    So we walk a circle around the south pole one mile long...

Or we could walk a circle half a mile long, but do it twice.

Or a third of a mile long, and do it thrice.

Or 1/n miles long, and walk it n times.

And each time, we have an infinite number of starting points.

So, infinity squared.
    ongies gonna ong
    Winner. Although, you only found infinity solutions here. There's infinity squared solutions.
    Oh yeah, every circle with a circumference of length (1 mile)/n, where n is a counting number is equally valid.
    Oh yeah, every circle with a circumference of length (1 mile)/n, where n is a counting number is equally valid.
    I hope you typed this without seeing my spoiler!
    ongies gonna ong

So, infinity squared.
    Not really up on math theory, but isn't that still infinity?
    Yeah, but it's infinitely bigger than our first infinity.
    ongies gonna ong
    Infinities are weird and there are no hard and fast rules for how to handle them.
    Some methods produce good results in one case, but not other cases.
    infinity/infinity could be literally anything until we know more about how those infinities are constructed or what they're composed of.

Abstractly, there is no clear "best" way to define infinities, because infinity is not a number, but a concept of unendingness.

It's never correct to say "there's an infinite number of {ongbongas}" Rather, if we're being rigorous, we would say, "The set of {ongbongas} is unbounded" or we may be a bit more specific and say "The set of {ongbongas} has ordinality of Aleph_null" meaning we are saying while unbounded, the number of {ongbongas} is theoretically countable.

Colloquially, we use infinity like it's a number and don't really mean much by it. If we're talking mathematically, though, we need to tread more carefully when comparing infinities.
    I hope you typed this without seeing my spoiler!
    Yeah, but I've heard this puzzle before, so I should have remembered those other solutions the first time.
    It's mostly just nonsense. It may have meaning in specific contexts but saying infinity^2 in general is just meaningless.
    Yeah basically, although as nonsense as it is in the literal sense, it's sort of the right context. I mean, if it were a million different starting points on a million different circles, then we have a million ^2.
    ongies gonna ong
    Yeah basically, although as nonsense as it is in the literal sense, it's sort of the right context. I mean, if it were a million different starting points on a million different circles, then we have a million ^2.
    No it's not because a million is a number and infinity isn't. Just because you can insert a big number in place of infinity and it makes sense doesn't mean it works.
    Someone doesn't know the difference between "literal" and "sort of".

You're taking pedantry to a new level here savy. If ever the term "infinity squared" could loosely apply, it's in the context where "a million squared" would be accurate if we were talking about a million instead of infinity.
    ongies gonna ong
    Someone doesn't know the difference between "literal" and "sort of".

You're taking pedantry to a new level here savy. If ever the term "infinity squared" could loosely apply, it's in the context where "a million squared" would be accurate if we were talking about a million instead of infinity.
    I'm not being pedantic what you're saying is completely meaningless nonsense.

If you had infinite solutions and then another thing had that amount squared you'd have the same amount of solutions btw. So your nonsense doesn't even lead you to the correct answer.
    Last edited by Savy; 10-03-2018 at 03:51 AM.
    Nah you wouldn't. You're suggesting all infinities are equally as infinite as each other. And I never said it was the "correct answer", merely that it's a reasonable context to use the term. You're definitely being pedantic. You know I'm not using the term literally, yet you persist in pointing out it's nonsense.
    ongies gonna ong
    No it's not because a million is a number and infinity isn't.
    Pedantry.
    ongies gonna ong
    Nah you wouldn't. You're suggesting all infinities are equally as infinite as each other. And I never said it was the "correct answer", merely that it's a reasonable context to use the term. You're definitely being pedantic. You know I'm not using the term literally, yet you persist in pointing out it's nonsense.
    I'm not suggesting all infinities are the same but those two would be.
    So are you suggesting that if we had an infinitely big isosceles right triangle, that the hypotenuse would be the same length as the other two sides?
    ongies gonna ong
    Once again a completely meaningless statement. This is exactly why I'm not being pedantic, you don't get it. You can't just interchange infinite with a really big thing you can think of. It isn't remotely the same.
    you don't get it.
    No you don't. How in the hell do you think I'm being serious here?
    ongies gonna ong
    Fucking hypotenuse of an infinitely big triangle.
    ongies gonna ong
    An infinitely big triangle is a flat line. Everyone knows that.
    ongies gonna ong
    You are being pedantic though. You're correcting me when I'm using sloppy language knowingly.
    ongies gonna ong
    Read about an interesting theory of the common cold today: it doesn't exist.

The argument goes like this:

"There's >200 viruses associated with the common cold. Since when do >200 different things cause an illness?

Instead, the common cold is the body's natural reaction to an excess of toxins in the system. It tries to get rid of these through producing a fever and a lot of mucus, and the viruses are naturally present organisms in mucus that help to break down toxins, not unlike the naturally-occurring bacteria in the gut. The point of the fever is to speed up the chemical reactions of bodily processes used to break down the toxins"

Based on this, the drugs used to treat the symptoms actually slow the healing process, and a better approach is to just improve one's diet.

One other point is that dairy products lead to increases in mucus production, which means they include large amounts of shit the body considers toxic, like particular proteins, for example.

Interesting.
    Funnily enough, on the rare occasion I get a cold, I just eat more fruit and wait it out. I don't get colds often, and when I do I manage just fine.
    ongies gonna ong
    Funnily enough, on the rare occasion I get a cold, I just eat more fruit and wait it out. I don't get colds often, and when I do I manage just fine.
    Theory confirmed.

An interesting question is why colds tend to come on relatively suddenly, over a couple of days. One might expect there to be just varying levels of mucus/fever all the time, which are at some times worse than others. My guess is there's a certain tolerance level the body has for toxins, but once the threshold is passed and it can't deal with them through normal means, it goes into sick mode, which is it's way of saying 'ok need a cleanout'. Or something.

Would explain why you never get another cold right after just finishing one. Afaik.
    Off to drink 4 litres of milk and see if I catch a cold.

brb.