Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 184 of 420 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 13,726 to 13,800 of 31490
    You gotta ask yourself: who do you want in charge, business elites or the average people? It may sound like "average people" is what we want, but you gotta then ask yourself about all the problems created by either category. I think you'll find that voters are responsible for the overwhelming portion of the blame, not monied interests.

Capitalism brings stability and competition to governance, as well as a pursuit of more capital. But the democratic voters? They're why drugs are illegal. They're why gay marriage is illegal and immigration is broken. They're why the military-industrial complex is even a thing. They're why there's a million miles of red tape to cut for business entry and why taxes pay for all sorts of disruptions that make everything worse (like farm subsidies, mortgage subsidies, welfare programs that disincentive work, etc)

I am terribly unconvinced that I want the government to be run by the people. Follow the money and you don't find that bad of effects, but follow the sensibilities of the populace and you find all sorts of trash. Combine the mandatory, unaccountable revenue streams of government (taxes) with the arbiters of government policy ultimately being in the hands of the voters, and you have the disaster we currently live in

What we want is value and competition. That will take care of problems like the Bush administration and Halliburton going to war in Iraq. Take away all the things that people say the money causes yet it actually doesn't, and you're left with just a bunch of shit caused by the average people
    you know that feeling where you're really tired of shit and you don't want to even function, but you know you have to?
    yeah, i hate that feeling.

Happy Easter ladies.
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    Oh come on wuf, you can't tell me giving a select few people, who by definition must be extremely selfish and self serving to have even reached their position, complete power over government and media can possibly be a good thing. The outcome is almost guaranteed to be a corrupt system of self preservation by creating false needs in the population to maintain their position of dominance.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Free your mind and your ass will follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    Oh come on wuf, you can't tell me giving a select few people, who by definition must be extremely selfish and self serving to have even reached their position, complete power over government and media can possibly be a good thing. The outcome is almost guaranteed to be a corrupt system of self preservation by creating false needs in the population to maintain their position of dominance.
    You're right, I can't, and I'm not.

"A select few" is very problematic, but that's not the case we're dealing with. The monied interests are very dynamic and a large enough portion of the populace that the rules of competition are in place. We always talk about the Kochs, Murdoch, and Adelson, but their contributions to politics are still just a fraction of the total. Furthermore, they're losing. The big money doesn't win because it's the big money; it wins when the value behind it wins

The media and popular discussion of this issue is mostly anti-fact. I never see any discussion of what the money actually does, and I assume the reason I don't see that is because, when the money is investigated, the idea that it controls the system breaks down
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreymcfate View Post

love it.

That reminds me - photographer that did my Red Riding Hood shoot asked if I wanted to shoot when he came back down from Canada in June/July as like a tribute shoot. Going to do my hair, makeup, everything, like I had planned and figured out I wanted to do for our wedding in September. I'm going to wear the dress I found in an antique store that is a handmade 1947 prom/wedding dress that I was going to use for a wedding dress, til I realized it isn't as strong as I thought. I actually tried it on again in February and it fit perfectly besides being a bit long. When I originally got it it wouldn't zip up all the way, but that was last April, and I'm down to 99-100 lbs now, so it's a perfect fit. Justin had said I just needed to grow and we'd be all set.

I'm sorry if I'm getting annoying y'all, or well, more annoying than I already was.
    it's a picture of an old dude from my island

also, and clearly i have complete authority to say this, being a veteran FTR-er and poker player and not at all a random girl with a penchant for online gaming that wufwugy dragged in (no sir, not me), you're not being annoying. and anyone that's gonna get legitimately annoyed with you for posting stuff they don't like on a thread entitled "randomness" needs to calm down and reassess their priorities.

a tribute photoshoot is a lovely idea, sounds like a good way to find some closure with the planned wedding and all that. i, for one, would love to see the shoot once it's done.

and how do you even find these non-creeper photographers? sounds like fun. my awkward ass wants to give it a go.

also, and clearly i have complete authority to say this, being a veteran FTR-er and poker player and not at all a random girl with a penchant for online gaming that wufwugy dragged in (no sir, not me), you're not being annoying. and anyone that's gonna get legitimately annoyed with you for posting stuff they don't like on a thread entitled "randomness" needs to calm down and reassess their priorities.

a tribute photoshoot is a lovely idea, sounds like a good way to find some closure with the planned wedding and all that. i, for one, would love to see the shoot once it's done.

and how do you even find these non-creeper photographers? sounds like fun. my awkward ass wants to give it a go.

Why you so awesome? I want to hug you.

March 2013 I saw a 'group shoot' thing on Facebook that one of my friends was taking part of, and she's been modeling for years - so I decided to go to it, and met several different photographers and models. It was just a by-chance thing. Then in July I was asked if I wanted to model at a local huge car show full of classic cars by the photographer that did the Red Riding Hood shoot. It's all by chance meeting. I had wanted to try my hand at it since I was a teen, but never thought I could do it, and Justin being a positive re-enforcement made me feel better about it. I've got a lot to learn still, but it's a lot of fun. It's another way, to me, to create art. My broken doll shoot, I literally worked on my hair and makeup for about 2 or 3 hours, and maybe had 10-15 minutes worth of shooting. Most of those pictures are also from the photographer that did the Red Hiding Hood shoot. He's an awesome dude that is actually in Canada right now, and is coming back down in June/July to move the rest of the family/stuff up there. Justin helped him with holding the lighting stuff, angling things certain ways. Brian, the photographer, has stayed in contact with me through all this, and has been checking in on me. My profile picture on FB was taken at the Car show by another photographer that his day job he's the senior photographer for a local large news station. These guys spend way more money on camera stuff than I'd ever dreamed of spending. We were actually invited to a photographer/model Halloween party by a dude that makes bank like crazy just doing the photographer thing, and lol, he bought everyone a drink, and made Justin try a shot of that liquor called 'The Kracken' or whatever.

Idk man, meeting a lot of these people is just by me putting myself out in the universe and pushing myself. I was supposed to do a shoot for a calender, and a shoot for a boudoir freak show type of thing, but calender was canceled due to the organization and the woman that was doing it to raise money went their separate ways, and the boudoir shoot I sill want to do, but my moving around abilities is about a 4 on a scale of 0-10, 10 being I can move easily and bend like a pretzel. Before the accident I was at like 9.5, in order to do the shoot I'd have to at least be a 6-7.

It's fucking crazy how so many things have just COMPLETELY changed. I was actually planning on volunteering at a local children's home, that was literally 3 miles away from our apartment. He was going to get a bike, so we'd be able to go bike riding at the park that was within a mile of our apartment. Just ugh, so many things where I just have to release and understand will not happen like we had planned.

Hopefully I'm getting my license in June, after not being able to drive since 2008. I am happy about that, but also scared. Shit, I'm scared of life in general now, but I just do it anyway. My Mom and Dad are impressed, but I feel like a piece of shit 26 year old that is living back with her parents and has nothing to show for herself besides what little mental stability I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    The media and popular discussion of this issue is mostly anti-fact. I never see any discussion of what the money actually does, and I assume the reason I don't see that is because, when the money is investigated, the idea that it controls the system breaks down
    You don't think the legalized corruption American has in the form of campaign contributions is fine or not reality? You have politicians spending most of their time in office trying to finance the next election, as if they're going to bite the hand that feeds.

My island?

Quote Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
    Why you so awesome? I want to hug you.

March 2013 I saw a 'group shoot' thing on Facebook that one of my friends was taking part of, and she's been modeling for years - so I decided to go to it, and met several different photographers and models. It was just a by-chance thing. Then in July I was asked if I wanted to model at a local huge car show full of classic cars by the photographer that did the Red Riding Hood shoot. It's all by chance meeting. I had wanted to try my hand at it since I was a teen, but never thought I could do it, and Justin being a positive re-enforcement made me feel better about it. I've got a lot to learn still, but it's a lot of fun. It's another way, to me, to create art. My broken doll shoot, I literally worked on my hair and makeup for about 2 or 3 hours, and maybe had 10-15 minutes worth of shooting. Most of those pictures are also from the photographer that did the Red Hiding Hood shoot. He's an awesome dude that is actually in Canada right now, and is coming back down in June/July to move the rest of the family/stuff up there. Justin helped him with holding the lighting stuff, angling things certain ways. Brian, the photographer, has stayed in contact with me through all this, and has been checking in on me. My profile picture on FB was taken at the Car show by another photographer that his day job he's the senior photographer for a local large news station. These guys spend way more money on camera stuff than I'd ever dreamed of spending. We were actually invited to a photographer/model Halloween party by a dude that makes bank like crazy just doing the photographer thing, and lol, he bought everyone a drink, and made Justin try a shot of that liquor called 'The Kracken' or whatever.

Idk man, meeting a lot of these people is just by me putting myself out in the universe and pushing myself. I was supposed to do a shoot for a calender, and a shoot for a boudoir freak show type of thing, but calender was canceled due to the organization and the woman that was doing it to raise money went their separate ways, and the boudoir shoot I sill want to do, but my moving around abilities is about a 4 on a scale of 0-10, 10 being I can move easily and bend like a pretzel. Before the accident I was at like 9.5, in order to do the shoot I'd have to at least be a 6-7.

It's fucking crazy how so many things have just COMPLETELY changed. I was actually planning on volunteering at a local children's home, that was literally 3 miles away from our apartment. He was going to get a bike, so we'd be able to go bike riding at the park that was within a mile of our apartment. Just ugh, so many things where I just have to release and understand will not happen like we had planned.

Hopefully I'm getting my license in June, after not being able to drive since 2008. I am happy about that, but also scared. Shit, I'm scared of life in general now, but I just do it anyway. My Mom and Dad are impressed, but I feel like a piece of shit 26 year old that is living back with her parents and has nothing to show for herself besides what little mental stability I have.
    I want to hug aubrey too
    Last edited by ChipEaterMan; 04-19-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    You don't think the legalized corruption American has in the form of campaign contributions is fine or not reality? You have politicians spending most of their time in office trying to finance the next election, as if they're going to bite the hand that feeds.
    It's not so much that I think it's fine, but that I understand the alternative to be much worse. Nobody wants to admit that voters are fucking idiots who cause mountains of problems then point the finger at anybody and everybody else. At least when money is involved in a large enough and dynamic enough economy, it has some sort of decent value representation.

If you try to find examples of problems created by campaign donations, you're gonna have a bad time. I'm not saying they don't exist, but that they're much smaller than everybody thinks, and regular voters are a much larger creator of problems than people think as well. I can compile huge lists of major problems that the big money actually wants to solve and knows how to solve yet can't because the voters don't like the solutions (to our own detriment), but I can't find that many problems that are driven by big money

NIGHT BY NIGHT!

?wut
    I can compile huge lists of major problems that the big money actually wants to solve and knows how to solve yet can't because the voters don't like the solutions (to our own detriment)
    Sounds like a good place to start
    The big money hates the drug war, foreign wars (yes, it hates foreign wars. The MIC is a voter thing, not a business donor thing), tax distortions, needless barriers to entry for business and innovation, market regulatory distortions like those that were the main incentivizers and contributors to the housing problem, and virtually any sort of intrusion into personal lives. How broad or specific do you want to get?

Money doesn't create policy. Voters create policy. Money gets the message out to the voters about who best represents what they want to vote for. If money creates policy, how can you explain why virtually nothing that the money wants happens? Everything we get is by voter sensibility. The big donors couldn't even get the simplest, most universally preferred and understood to be better for the entire economy things done, like elimination of tax deductions in exchange for rate reductions. The elites want that, it would be fantastic for the economy, but it does not happen because voters are reactionaries, special interests, and ultimately not that well informed, and they don't like it

Societies operate on extremely complex and technical dynamics. The average person is not that good at figuring these things out (they shouldn't be expected to in the first place). We live in the consequences of this. It's a place where everybody forks over a shitload of taxes to pay for incarcerating people who smoke pot. Business and economic elites never wanted that and never tried to make that a thing. The voters wanted that, and the politicians made it happen because politicians are slaves to the vote, not to money. I don't know why everybody wants to blame the money, but I think it partly has to do with an infatuation with the common person. Talk to anybody who thinks we should get money out of politics, and they make the common man sound like a bunch of angels whose only problems stem from the evil rich
    I'm not going to dive into this, because I don't have the energy for it, but wuf, you spew nonsense out of your ass on the reg.
    inb4 boost shows up and doesn't develop an argument yet judges anyways. oh wait
    Wuf, it's too early for me to respond fully, but I just couldn't resist pointing out straight away that tons of that post is complete bull shit. So much so that I think spoon must have hacked your account.
    I think there are other factors in play that have caused this situation than what wuf is attributing it to. It would be so much better if they just sold marijuani in shops. I can speak from experience, if I want some weed I much rather drive across the border into the netherlands and buy a few grams at 10€/g in a coffee shop rather than having to go through dealers which would be cheaper but you're never sure what you get and it's a lot of hassle.
    I can't even get past

"big money hates the drug war, foreign wars..."

I just don't believe this to be the case.

Wars (both foreign and on drugs ) create huge direct and indirect capitalist opportunity. Direct in terms of all those invested in the military system, eg arms manufacturers, private prisons, and indirect in terms of fear in the population and how much easier the population is to manipulate then, which means sell stuff to, both physically and conceptually.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
    rather than having to go through dealers which would be cheaper but you're never sure what you get and it's a lot of hassle.

It's not an indistinct white powder or a nondescript pill. If you can't tell what it is by looking and smelling it, then wtf, man?

Hassle? If your dealer is an ass, then it's a hassle... find a new dealer. The community is vast and most don't have the inclination to give people unnecessary hassles. Of all the drugs that are dealt, only a weed dealer will actually feel guilty about having to charge you for it.

Seriously... I thought you Europeans were the sophisticated type... problem solvers... movers onners... the entire continent of you.
    inb4 boost shows up and doesn't develop an argument yet judges anyways. oh wait

I mean, it's not like you actually made any argument yourself. You just throw things out there like, "The big money hates the drug war, foreign wars (yes, it hates foreign wars. The MIC is a voter thing, not a business donor thing)" which is not even a controversial issue-- it's well accepted, and true throughout history, that the opposite is true. That commonly held truth could be wrong, but your post is bullshit until you actually support your claims against it, instead of just saying "lol libertarianism doesn't want this to be true, so I'm going to claim it isn't true!"

And it's not that one thing, you consistently post like this. You're making absurd claims, and not backing them up. You should be, and you should know you should be laughed off stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    I can't even get past

"big money hates the drug war, foreign wars..."

I just don't believe this to be the case.

Wars (both foreign and on drugs ) create huge direct and indirect capitalist opportunity. Direct in terms of all those invested in the military system, eg arms manufacturers, private prisons, and indirect in terms of fear in the population and how much easier the population is to manipulate then, which means sell stuff to, both physically and conceptually.
    That is the common thought, but it's not true. Each of the examples you list are not created by or even perpetuated by big money; however, they are by voter sensibilities. The MIC is a way to get votes by bringing jobs and wages to the voters. Private, large donors don't have that much to do with it. Like with private prisons, a handful of companies have developed a niche after the institutions were created, but the amount of power and money they have to perpetuate the institutions is a mere fraction of the amount of money that doesn't want them in place. But the money that doesn't want them in place doesn't make policy changes because the policy depends on voters, and voters rally against much change in the areas.

I feel like I'm not explaining it well, maybe I'll try again later
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    I mean, it's not like you actually made any argument yourself. You just throw things out there like, "The big money hates the drug war, foreign wars (yes, it hates foreign wars. The MIC is a voter thing, not a business donor thing)" which is not even a controversial issue-- it's well accepted, and true throughout history, that the opposite is true. That commonly held truth could be wrong, but your post is bullshit until you actually support your claims against it, instead of just saying "lol libertarianism doesn't want this to be true, so I'm going to claim it isn't true!"

The view is accepted in popular medium, but not consensus elsewhere. The academic concept for why the MIC works in the first place is by creating voting constituents through political and economic ties between politicians and their districts. The role of large individual donations always has been fractional. The same is true for virtually every issue.

I have been supporting my claims. I've been listing many examples, and you're just ignoring them. The counterfactuals are immense. The best example I used was the one about taxes. It is definitely true that big money entities overwhelming support a specific kind of reform, yet it hasn't happened and won't happen because the voters don't want it to. If the "big money in politics = disaster" side was true, this would not be the case. It's funny to me that you say I blow stuff out of my ass, because if this forum knows anything about me, it knows that I spend way too much time trying to figure out the truth about these sorts of things and that I have zero problem with admitting when I'm wrong, even if I think it makes me look stupid. The principle of learning how to be wrong is too important to ignore

Wuf do you really not realise how completely bias and poorly formed (bad not implied) a lot of your arguments are. You do imply you know a lot more about stuff which you clearly don't and you force any kind of authoritative opinion which agrees with yours quite a lot even if the general consensus doesn't.

This isn't me having a go as I actually enjoy reading your posts in general and you seem a nice guy although I may disagree with you about stuff but I kind of hope you're more bothered about truth than already stated positions.

Or maybe I'm just chatting crap as I'm quite drunk.

Why don't you guys just post sources for your arguments? Treat this like academic discourse. Post multiple corroborative sources. They have to be respectable, of course, but I think we can all be the judge of that.

also -bear hugs chelle-

Why don't you guys just post sources for your arguments? Treat this like academic discourse. Post multiple corroborative sources. They have to be respectable, of course, but I think we can all be the judge of that.

also -bear hugs chelle-
    I think this is a great idea, but I also think it sounds like work. I simply don't care to dedicate so much time to online political debates. And to be perfectly clear, that's not a knock on people who hold political discussion online or otherwise-- just I have other priorities. So, yeah, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut if I'm not willing to actually participate, but, you know, fuck that...
    this is godddam randomness thread not the ivory tower school of academia

?wut

ANGRY FACE for emphasis

?wut
    I'm just saying, if you're gonna criticize each other for not backing shit up, just go all out or don't go at all, ya know?
    (although to be fair, I usually find myself in your position, Boost.. I feel ya)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    this is godddam randomness thread not the ivory tower school of academia
    Today I have eaten three 8oz steaks and half an easter egg.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Today I have eaten three 8oz steaks and half an easter egg.
    Low carb diets are so hot right now
    I just gotta say that aubrey is so cool.

I think the issue is the hyperbole in the discourse. It's fine if you're stating your own opinions and that those opinions might not be the final opinion you will ever have on the subject in your life. It's disruptive to dialogue when opinions are put out like facts, and it's disruptive to any personal growth occurring in the conversation when people are spending mental effort trying to spew talking points instead of delving into their own thoughts.

I mean, wufwuggy is hardly standing out here. At least he has the cahones to be wrong about things. Throwing your opinion out there, and being engaged in the response is an excellent way to learn about your own thoughts and feelings on an issue. Sometimes you think you're on one side of an argument until one phrase changes everything. If you're not willing to engage, you'll never hear that phrase, and you'll never learn how what felt right one second felt wrong the next.

That's my favorite kind of personal growth. It's like a light goes an and loads of other stuff that was just out of my conscious reach floods in. Epiphany. It's a great feeling.

As a side note:

How does it feel to be wrong?
    (Probably most of you said "bad", "shameful", or some other generally negative word)

Now:
    You didn't answer my question.
    You answered the question, "How does it feel when you learn you were wrong?"
    Which is WHOLLY different than the question, "How does it feel to be wrong?"

Because when you were wrong (the moments before you realized you were wrong), you thought you were right, and felt you were right.

So being wrong feels exactly the same as being right.

It's only finding out that feels different.

Let that sink in and you'll understand the "human condition" a whole hell of a lot more than you did a few minutes ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    failing that simply read every wufwugy post as "Hi, I'm wufwugy!" and you'll find everything light years more enjoyable.

?wut
    ...wait... you actually READ wufwugy's posts?!?
    ...wait... you actually READ wufwugy's posts?!?
    i started tl;dr'ing every wufwugy post over 3 lines about 5 years ago

?wut
    If y'all ever wonder why I make what appears to be definitive statements without ample evidence, ^^^^that's why. It's no secret that nobody reads long posts
    Nah, Wuf. I read your posts. However, whatever I think about the issue, I usually don't enter the conversation.

This is mostly because I'm not the type to throw my thoughts out there like they're facts unless I'm talking about a subject that I have thoroughly studied (like physics and engineering, or to a lesser extent being in a band, or even general advice on being a person in a hostile universe).

I'm different in person. In person, I can say some downright foolish things... but they're in the context of me being a bit of a 'tarded monkey... who is constantly saying, "Hmm... wait a minute.. now that I hear myself say it, I realize that it's stupid." Whereas in print, well... it's just easier to delete it... to not say it in the first place.

I'd say roughly 2/3's of my potential posts I'd make get deleted instead of submitted.

I'm not judging, clearly... read my prior post where I see the honesty in your approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Wuf do you really not realise how completely bias and poorly formed (bad not implied) a lot of your arguments are. You do imply you know a lot more about stuff which you clearly don't and you force any kind of authoritative opinion which agrees with yours quite a lot even if the general consensus doesn't.
    A character flaw of mine is that when something is clear to me, I assume it is as clear to everybody else. I know this is an issue, but I have a hard time changing it. Furthermore, I'm a natural at the social sciences in the way that I tend to not need more than just a premise and a direction to discover more about the dynamic. This is why my initial arguments usually are just stating a handful of facts or concepts, with a couple examples, and assuming anybody interested will put the brain work into figuring it out.

In addition, keep in mind that when somebody says "you're wrong" without explaining why (or being able to), they are the ones who are usually wrong (doesn't mean the other person is right, though). It's easy to say that I'm saying "things that are clearly bullshit", but it's hard to actually be right about that. I guess all I have to say is to try to figure out the logistics of what the money does and how any variety of issues have been created and perpetuated. In academia and the professional field, the idea that money rules politics is the contrarian. The media is utter shit and misleads everybody on most issues, including this one. Maybe my brashness is because I'm bitter about it, because I'm misled on a regular basis and I don't like it.
    Yeah... the act of broadly discrediting someone's ideas without putting in the effort to pontificate which ideas and why they're poor... to me, that's just a form of bullying.

I have no time for someone who has no time for me... and that's how I see it... If you're willing to take the time to tell me I'm wrong, but not why... then I assume you're an ass who just wants to stroke his own ego and feel superior of someone (anyone). It has nothing to do with me or my opinions or ambitions.
    Yeah, I didn't really mean that your conclusions are wrong, but instead that the way in which you present stuff is not conducive to those ideas being well received.

Anyways, I probably came across harsher than I should have, only because I find this fault in my own communication style. It's an interesting thing that I've noticed with myself and others; the stuff that tends to irk us the most is the stuff that we unconsciously recognize as a reflection of our own short comings. The worse the short coming is with you, the more irate you become when you experience it in another.

It's not an indistinct white powder or a nondescript pill. If you can't tell what it is by looking and smelling it, then wtf, man?

Hassle? If your dealer is an ass, then it's a hassle... find a new dealer. The community is vast and most don't have the inclination to give people unnecessary hassles. Of all the drugs that are dealt, only a weed dealer will actually feel guilty about having to charge you for it.

Seriously... I thought you Europeans were the sophisticated type... problem solvers... movers onners... the entire continent of you.
    Sometimes they mix the weed with glass and others add whatever herbs and caffeine and god knows what else. I've been sick from unknown weed before so it can happen but I agree that generally it's fine. My supplier shoulda been a good buddy who bought an installation and grows it himself, woulda been €4/g for top quality but a month ago right as it finished drying (I saw them grow and helped him pluck them) someone broke into his house and stole the whole 5kg. Inside job through one of his neighbours most likely. Sure I can go through dealers but often that means running in circles I don't want to run in, that's the main thing. Coffee shop = safe and easy.
    Yeah... the act of broadly discrediting someone's ideas without putting in the effort to pontificate which ideas and why they're poor... to me, that's just a form of bullying.

I have no time for someone who has no time for me... and that's how I see it... If you're willing to take the time to tell me I'm wrong, but not why... then I assume you're an ass who just wants to stroke his own ego and feel superior of someone (anyone). It has nothing to do with me or my opinions or ambitions.
    This post sucks. You're lame.

Just kidding
    Last edited by Luco; 04-22-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    when people ask you "why don't you have a girlfriend?" seriously wtf do they expect to hear?

?wut
    when people ask you "why don't you have a girlfriend?" seriously wtf do they expect to hear?
    that you're gay

Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    This post sucks. You're lame.

Just kidding
    Wussy
    They probably just want to make you feel awkward so that you go away or it creates a cheap laugh for them.
    neck brace is off. been 6 weeks since everything happened. ugh life is weird wtf.
    before you know it, the weirdness will turn into normalcy, and the spirit of a new day will come back to you. i promise. time is the only thing that heals. that enraged me when people told me, and in an effort to be honest and not sugar-coat my advice, i expect it will be even harder for you given where you were in life with him. you won't ever forget him and you'll always carry him, but as the years go on, the loss will be come more cemented, more integrated in your life. and you are so amazing, i'll say it again, i'm in such awe. the vicious vortex of denial that i threw myself into after james died was so unhealthy - and it helped me cope, i guess - but you are like this blinding ray of sunshine in the darkest of places. i really admire you so much. <3

on a much more trivial note, does anyone here use twitter? I'm trying to maintain a livelier, more active presence on mine for work and networking purposes, and I feel like it might help if more people I know on a personal-ish level use it. i fully expect a chorus of crickets in response to this but eh, worth a try... :P
    Time heals no wounds.
    Only love heals.
    Love yourself and understand your loss.
    Strive to be open to being loved; allow your friends and family to understand and help you.
    Love others and realize that no matter what happens, you are not alone.
    Time heals no wounds.
    Only love heals.
    Strive to be open to being loved; allow your friends and family to understand and help you.
    Both I would say. If you are wounded, whether fysical or emotional, time alone will heal it. Other things will help of course.
    yeah, i'm not wavering on the time thing. The passage of time is the only thing that makes you realize how impermanent your pain really is, no matter how deeply entrenched you are in it.

of course, if you spend that time wisely and, as mmm suggests, love yourself and others, that can only help.
    on a much more trivial note, does anyone here use twitter? I'm trying to maintain a livelier, more active presence on mine for work and networking purposes, and I feel like it might help if more people I know on a personal-ish level use it. i fully expect a chorus of crickets in response to this but eh, worth a try... :P
    I followed back. I don't really twitter right though. Not to sound like a grumpy old man, but it really seems like the main motivations for anyone to tweet are either vanity, vapidity or self-promotion. I can say, with very little exaggeration, that those are the three things I'm most intolerant of, even in otherwise socially acceptable doses.

So I have a no-end-in-mind-really approach to tweeting that has led to 18 sporadic one-liners over the course of the last year. Since I have no followers (and since Twitter is very much unlike Reddit or forums where upvotes or the wonders of chronology can still get your posts read by people who don't know you) my 18 whispers into the emptiest parts of the internet sound like a sad variant of vanity--one that's somehow much worse than the person who includes 10 hashtags in his tweets about his mood or breakfast or breakfasty mood or moody breakfast and gets 1,000 retweets.

It's kinda like: Sure, George Clooney might be full of himself, but can you blame the guy? That person over there in the corner who's too busy contorting himself in a way that he can fart directly into his nostrils to meet anyone new, on the other hand, what right does HE have to think so highly of himself?
    And that's not sour grapes about the Twitterverse not being sophisticated enough to get my style or anything. My tweets are pretty embarrassing to read, even for myself (yes, I realize that last qualifier is needless given the fact that I'm the only one reading the tweets). That's just my way of explaining why I haven't been able to relate with it.
    Last edited by surviva316; 04-24-2014 at 01:59 PM.
    before you know it, the weirdness will turn into normalcy, and the spirit of a new day will come back to you. i promise. time is the only thing that heals. that enraged me when people told me, and in an effort to be honest and not sugar-coat my advice, i expect it will be even harder for you given where you were in life with him. you won't ever forget him and you'll always carry him, but as the years go on, the loss will be come more cemented, more integrated in your life. and you are so amazing, i'll say it again, i'm in such awe. the vicious vortex of denial that i threw myself into after james died was so unhealthy - and it helped me cope, i guess - but you are like this blinding ray of sunshine in the darkest of places. i really admire you so much. <3

Lol, thank you. It's still odd to hear or read that from anyone. I'd really love to do very dumb things to numb myself, but I guess in my head I've worked a hell of a lot to get just where I am, and Justin was so proud of how much I had helped myself and how I had gotten in a good mental state. Of course I have moments where all I can do is cry, even as much as I fight it. But, I just keep reminding myself he didn't feel pain, and he'd want me to be happy, even if I want to be sad.

Time heals no wounds.
    Only love heals.
    Yep. I'm very much on self-love [in the non-pervy way], and that's how I've gotten as mentally healthy as I am. I'm not on any SSRI's, and do not want to be. Self-love, self-care, and self-worth[even though i have issues with that still] have gotten me a hell of a lot further than any medication has or ever will.

We all get caught up in such dumb mundane things, we get offended and hurt by words of others, and hell it's fucking easy to. But we all are human, we all hurt, we all love, and we all bleed. I know I sound like a damn hippie bitch right now, but if people just started loving each other, just showed each other compassion and respect the world wouldn't have as much hate and bullshit in it. I don't want to brag, but I've had a shitty card most my life, and I know we all have a certain type of shitty card, but even though all of this, I know it's going to be okay somehow. Hell, I don't want it to be, I don't want to feel better, because why should I feel better when he's gone? But, I know I will, as much as I fight the healing, it's already happening. I'm going to have scars so deep they won't be able to be repared, but I'm going to learn to cope, and to spread love. That's what I'm good at, is showing love and care and compassion, even if I lack it with myself sometimes, I love people. Even when people hurt me and treat me like shit, I love them, and I want to help them.

In other news - I bought a mic and pop filter and I'm possibly going to start recording vocals and shit. I'unno yet though, I've not even wired my desktop up.

y'alls a bunch of faggots but ily
    I wish I knew you were getting a pop shield. They're a waste of money, since you can DIY them for super-cheap.

Just use an embroidery hoop and some pantyhose. All pop shields will stink like bad-breath sooner or later, and the pantyhose is cheap to just replace. You can attach it to the mic stand with a bent hanger. Obv. this isn't the most attractive solution, but for non-video recordings, they're damn near ideal.

I googled DIY pop shield and found a bunch of nice instructions complete with pictures and ways to make it look nice.

All-metal pop shields are a bit dangerous, since they're conductive. If there's a short in the mic, then it can charge the entire mic stand, and that all-metal pop shield is going to give you a nasty sting. If you bought it already, you should return it, if possible.

EDIT: if the PA system isn't properly grounded, then it wont take a short to ruin your day.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 04-24-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    I've gone through a lot of pop shields. A couple of diy, a proper nylon one, but sooner or later you end up with a metal one because you want something washable. I have never had problems with static on any of them. It's a good idea to learn how to sing without one because even a the best pop shield will give you unwanted noise if your mic technique isn't perfect and then add the pop filter if you want the added security or proximity effect.
    If you need help setting something up home-recording related you can always ask me. www.homerecording.com www.gearslutz.com and www.recordingproject.com are good resources as well.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I've gone through a lot of pop shields. A couple of diy, a proper nylon one, but sooner or later you end up with a metal one because you want something washable. I have never had problems with static on any of them.
    Yeah, it's not a problem if you have grounded electronics and you take care of your mic / don't use a mic that is damaged internally.

When you're gigging, you can't rely on the building being properly grounded, or even offering grounded plugs for the stage equipment.

It's a good idea to learn how to sing without one because even a the best pop shield will give you unwanted noise if your mic technique isn't perfect and then add the pop filter if you want the added security or proximity effect.
    This 100 times. I've listened to friends sing the same passage 20 times in a row, and offering feedback to help them turn the clicks off. It's all about softening the T's, S's, Z's, P's, K's, etc. Once you learn to control one of these, the others fall in line.
    Just use an embroidery hoop and some pantyhose. All pop shields will stink like bad-breath sooner or later, and the pantyhose is cheap to just replace. You can attach it to the mic stand with a bent hanger. Obv. this isn't the most attractive solution, but for non-video recordings, they're damn near ideal.
    If this one fucks up, I'll defiantly be doing this. It sounds pretty easy, and I'm a very much DIY person.

I've gone through a lot of pop shields. A couple of diy, a proper nylon one, but sooner or later you end up with a metal one because you want something washable. I have never had problems with static on any of them. It's a good idea to learn how to sing without one because even a the best pop shield will give you unwanted noise if your mic technique isn't perfect and then add the pop filter if you want the added security or proximity effect.
    If you need help setting something up home-recording related you can always ask me. www.homerecording.com www.gearslutz.com and www.recordingproject.com are good resources as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is the one I purchased, it seems pretty good quality, I really like the bendy-arm thing and the clamp that goes on the mic stand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is the mic my friend who's very much into recording/music business suggested. He has his own recording stuff, but he's mostly guitar stuff. I worked with him in the call center, now he's moved out to LA, a day job + music stuff. His girlfriend is a lead guitarist for a larger named band type of thing.

Here's an example of how sickeningly good he is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZngum4f5d0

after set 1 today i have determined that i am morbidly out of shape. morbidly.

whole list.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/zXTlf

?wut
    ugh fuck that girl in that graphic and her obnoxious flailing enthusiasm for self-flagellation

also surviva, yeah, i found you through gmail contacts and followed and then unfollowed bc i felt like a major creeper, but i have followed once again. yay!
    ugh fuck that girl in that graphic and her obnoxious flailing enthusiasm for self-flagellation

also surviva, yeah, i found you through gmail contacts and followed and then unfollowed bc i felt like a major creeper, but i have followed once again. yay!
    hi. i have twitter. sweetiieheart gogogogo
    love your "about me" (or whatever it's called)
    love your "about me" (or whatever it's called)
    well, i'm pretty sure it's accurate for me. lol. thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    seeing this picture reminds me of stacks. has anyone heard from corey lately? he fell off the earth a year or so ago =(

speaking of other people from that group, i miss jinx as well =(

?wut
    Bikes, I wasn't a fan of the workout you posted, so I took the liberty of making a couple small changes to it, as you will see below.

wp
    That's a great place to start, Chelle. That's a large diaphragm condenser with a preamp and a soundcard built in. For $40 you can't go wrong. It's super easy to set up and you can always use it for field recordings should you decide to upgrade at some point. The cheapest option I could give you for a vocal mic that I can vouch for would be a beta57 which needs a preamp and a soundcard and some cables which would run you at least $300 total.

after set 1 today i have determined that i am morbidly out of shape. morbidly.
    lol
    LOL
    When you're gigging, you can't rely on the building being properly grounded, or even offering grounded plugs for the stage equipment.
    Oooooh Now I know what you meant... it's been quite a while since I've almost murdered a singer with a SM58. Here's a random tip: if you gig somewhere where you're not 100% sure about the wiring, always use a foam windscreen over anything that touches someones face.
    I'm with ImSavy on the exercise thing. Working out feels like a terrible form of torture I'm imposing on myself for god-knows-what-reason. I've played sports my whole love and absolutely love physical competition and all my kickball teammates think I'm the craziest little fuck for hustling and diving and jumping and sliding for everything in a kid's game (my legs are gashed to all shit right now from a game I played yesterday), but just like straight-up, dry workouts were always my least favorite part of life, and I still loathe going to a sweatbox and running on a conveyer belt for an hour like some sort of mad hamster.

I feel like exercise freaks act like "once you push through the initial burn, it's fucking awesome" is some sort of universal truth, ergo anyone who doesn't enjoy working out is doing it wrong or something. No, from the time that I was an 18 year old in peak physical condition competing on a national scale and rowing 10,000 kilometers 6 times a week to now, as a 27-year-old beer-bellied a pitch and a pint league wannabe all-star, the times that I've pushed my body to the limit have always been the most dreadful and unambiguously excruciating moments of my life.
    Last edited by surviva316; 04-24-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    working out sucks for anybody who does it just a couple times and quits before results are noticed. if you want to know why people who lift weights get obsessed, it's because they see/feel the transformation and progress

at this point, i envy anybody who doesn't have injury pain. my pain is the only reason i don't workout anymore/for the time being
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    going to a sweatbox and running on a conveyer belt for an hour like some sort of mad hamster.
    This to me has never been and never will be working out or exercise. Running is either a love or a hate but it's not a great way to get in better shape or enjoy exercise if you think you would like or need to do more healthy activities.
    running is the worst. sadly, it's the most popular exercise too, probably because it's the cheapest and requires the least thought

if you want cardio, take up racquetball or swimming. if you want muscles, spend some time around free weights
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    This to me has never been and never will be working out or exercise. Running is either a love or a hate but it's not a great way to get in better shape or enjoy exercise if you think you would like or need to do more healthy activities.
    Or rowing on an erg or swimming or doing calisthenics or weight training or karate stances that you hold in isometer until your groin muscles giggle. You name it; I've done it; I hate it. I'll jump as high as I can and land back-first on a hardwood floor to dodge a little rubber ball if it helps our team win and gets some oos from the sideline in the process, but pushing my body to the limit for the sake of pushing my body to the limit is literally the most torturous experience I could ever put myself through.

Others get a thrill out of it while preferring to not throw their back out of shape playing playground games. It's not a doing it right versus doing it wrong sorta thing; it's a different strokes for different folks sorta thing.
    Last edited by surviva316; 04-25-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    nobody hates swimming. i love swimming therefore everybody loves swimming