Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 131 of 420 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 9,751 to 9,825 of 31490
    To add some perspective. Back in like 04-05, the site had an awesome troll, went by the name HunkyNYCityGuy, and he was the biggest doof who trolled in the silliest ways, but the main reason he was funny was because Lyle haaaaated him. And all Lyle's buddies hated him just because he poked fun at them. They had no sense of humor whatsoever when they were the butt of the joke, and they were the butt of the joke because they were so uptight.

I think I left around 07-08, and have heard since then that two of his clique leaders left. One was Lyle's gf and the other he bombarded with insults on facebook. He's kinda just insufferable. It's very strange because I've a friend who traveled to Austin and met up with Lyle, and he says he's super awesome in person, but on the website, that friend would just get ridiculed by Lyle and his cronies most of the time.
    That is interesting perspective. I have only limited experience on the new forum (and honestly not for years) and even less on the old one, but what you write matches up with what I saw as well. He is kind of an insufferable prick online, but I guess 10? years of people doing the same stupid shit and asking the same stupid questions probably does that to a guy
    This green topic in the commune is really pissing me off. I am making a decision here and considering it some sort of announcement, and therefore will not read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    This green topic in the commune is really pissing me off. I am making a decision here and considering it some sort of announcement, and therefore will not read it.
    I read it. You're making a good choice.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    To add some perspective. Back in like 04-05, the site had an awesome troll, went by the name HunkyNYCityGuy, and he was the biggest doof who trolled in the silliest ways, but the main reason he was funny was because Lyle haaaaated him. And all Lyle's buddies hated him just because he poked fun at them. They had no sense of humor whatsoever when they were the butt of the joke, and they were the butt of the joke because they were so uptight.

I think I left around 07-08, and have heard since then that two of his clique leaders left. One was Lyle's gf and the other he bombarded with insults on facebook. He's kinda just insufferable. It's very strange because I've a friend who traveled to Austin and met up with Lyle, and he says he's super awesome in person, but on the website, that friend would just get ridiculed by Lyle and his cronies most of the time.
    I'm the friend. Yeah, Lyle's a good guy in person and I think a lot of things get butchered online - that's just the way of things, though. The emergence of the internet was bound to lead to situations like this, where you have individuals who you would more than likely enjoy the company of on some level in person; but go and remove the face-to-face interaction and all that goes with it and you have a Lyle McDonald.

The forums were a great place for information, and his advice is pretty spot-on when it comes to dietetics, nutrition, and training. He even has some words of wisdom as an individual when he's not being callous for the sake of it. Every person is more than the one dimensional object we make them out to be, knowing them through the internet - just have to remember that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tentuhknaut View Post
    Every person is more than the one dimensional object we make them out to be, knowing them through the internet - just have to remember that.
    Just because some people tell your story in a negative light, doesn't mean that is the only or the best light to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by tentuhknaut View Post
    I'm the friend. Yeah, Lyle's a good guy in person and I think a lot of things get butchered online - that's just the way of things, though. The emergence of the internet was bound to lead to situations like this, where you have individuals who you would more than likely enjoy the company of on some level in person; but go and remove the face-to-face interaction and all that goes with it and you have a Lyle McDonald.

The forums were a great place for information, and his advice is pretty spot-on when it comes to dietetics, nutrition, and training. He even has some words of wisdom as an individual when he's not being callous for the sake of it. Every person is more than the one dimensional object we make them out to be, knowing them through the internet - just have to remember that.
    That's a good point about the online-real life dynamic. I have found that there is little correlation between how people act on forums and how they are in real life. I never thought he was a bad guy online in any case, but he rubs people the wrong way and he knows that. Anyway the only reason I brought up that site specifically is because wuf and I and others have talked about it in the past. There is a lot of good info there.

Just out of curiosity, how did find this thread? I'm guessing wufwugy told you but I'm just wondering if you were a regular reader or pulled it up on google or something.

Default ACHenew aggregate

That's a good point about the online-real life dynamic. I have found that there is little correlation between how people act on forums and how they are in real life. I never thought he was a bad guy online in any case, but he rubs people the wrong way and he knows that. Anyway the only reason I brought up that site specifically is because wuf and I and others have talked about it in the past. There is a lot of good info there.

Just out of curiosity, how did find this thread? I'm guessing wufwugy told you but I'm just wondering if you were a regular reader or pulled it up on google or something.
    Wuf and I talk on a regular basis outside of forum-land. He has wanted me to join FTR for awhile, but I'm always busy doing a bunch of random things. I keep myself occupied - specifically with nerf wars. Just ask wugy 'bout that.

I think I like it here though. He always said the regulars were more chill than Lyle's forum.
    I'm looking forward to watching this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s1mfw
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    if they broadcast it!
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    I'm off to France/Germany on Thursday for 5 weeks, wheeeee

Will be getting a multi-use train pass. Approximately 6 or 8 days of travelling by train. The only three places I will surely spend some time in are Paris, Rennes (friend lives there) and Berlin. The rest is up in the air/open.

Any suggestions for "must-see" stuff in either country?
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.
    The Eiffel Tower would probably be worth checking out. I hear they have it decorated in white flags this time of year.
    My Mrs has been using the excercise bike at home every day for the last 10 days or so. She just asked me if I can see any difference yet. I just looked at her with a blank face, trying to think what the right answer is. I took too long, just kinda mumbled something about how yeah, the first week or so being difficult to tell. I htink I gave the wrong answer.
    yup
    next time: "i was gonna say something before you mentioned it...."
    next time make a comment about her birthing hips, and ask why her arms don't have any definition.
    ahhhhh womenquestions
    There's a car outside my wee block of flats with the lights left on, but I can't figure out where to knock. Not disturbing innocents comes before trying a bunch of doors to help whoever messed up, I guess? It's just before 10pm
    next time make a comment about her birthing hips, and ask why her arms don't have any definition.
    Not much chance of that hint being picked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Not much chance of that hint being picked up.
    I disagree... ask me how I know.
    I think I'm just going to start being absolutely blunt when asked questions like this. Like, not try to lay it on soft. When you try to go easy on them, they know it, and they start to guess at what you really think. "Omg, he thinks I'm fat... he thinks I'm a blubbery fucking whale!! *tears*sobbing*"

Just gotta insta-answer, "No." Then go back to doing whatever it is that you were doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rong View Post
    My Mrs has been using the excercise bike at home every day for the last 10 days or so. She just asked me if I can see any difference yet. I just looked at her with a blank face, trying to think what the right answer is. I took too long, just kinda mumbled something about how yeah, the first week or so being difficult to tell. I htink I gave the wrong answer.
    this seems like an e-zzzzz one!
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    I think I'm just going to start being absolutely blunt when asked questions like this. Like, not try to lay it on soft. When you try to go easy on them, they know it, and they start to guess at what you really think. "Omg, he thinks I'm fat... he thinks I'm a blubbery fucking whale!! *tears*sobbing*"

Just gotta insta-answer, "No." Then go back to doing whatever it is that you were doing.
    Trying to Don Draper it will make them ask as many questions
    Trying to Don Draper it will make them ask as many questions
    f'n modern wymmenz with all their questions amirite? Them pre-WW2 girls knew when to open their mouths mmmhmmmm.
    PETE!
    DJ "Jungleman" Cates:
    He loves ice cream and he'll fucking kill you.
    I want to finish my mermaid painting, but I can't figure out where to start. Or what to really do to her. I NEED MY SPARK OF CREATIVITY DAMN-IT. I don't wanna' force it, cause it won't be as good as it could be.

god. life is so hard. [notrly,i'mjustwhining]
    I will destroy you with sunshine and kittens.
    also - go watch this.
    It blows my mind that Pyrros Dimas could clean and jerk nearly 500 pounds. My genetic max is probably around 275. Shit is bananas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMBCLsrktwI

just your typical 77kg/170lb asian dude front squatting 230kg/507lb for an easy double a couple days before competition
    Looks about right

Maybe I'm selling myself short. I never really worked much on cleans, but am currently at 175 power clean from high hang. If I don't hang from above knee and instead do a full ROM, I get back problems. I also don't have much dip on the catch, no lower than 60 degrees, and I can do more weight, so maybe adding the full clean and full ROM significantly increases amount of weight that can be lifted, but I just can't imagine cleaning 300. If I refreshed on squatting, I could probably front squat that after about 3 months though

The most I ever power cleaned when I was in top form was some kind of sloppy 245 or something, but I also never practiced the move
    If I ever leave my Mrs (lol, like it would be me leaving her) I'm settling down with a nurse or doctor. Just had to call paramedics out over my daughter due to what at the time seemed like an inability to breathe properly. Turns out she's caught a bug, has a high temperature and has some throat thing or other, so nothing serious, should clear up itself in a few days or so although calling an ambulance was justifiable. But it just occurred to me how helpless we were and how useful some medical training would be.
    I've heard from people in the opposite situation that it's more a curse (like you constantly suspect the worst disease imaginable every time she gurgles a bit when exhaling or whatever), but I could believe that's just the one couple I heard it from, they seemed kinda weird anyway.
    Seems like you should compromise on a live-in mistress who's a nurse. Or at least dresses like one.
    I've been trying to convince her to get an eastern European nanny for a while, there's websites with photos to help you choose.
    Tell your Mrs to stop being lazy and get trained as a nurse
    it's 10 days into my course, do the kids look healthier to you yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    it's 10 days into my course, do the kids look healthier to you yet?
    hahahaha
    I don't suppose anyone has a link to a stretching program for beginners.
    What for, what are you trying to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    I don't suppose anyone has a link to a stretching program for beginners.
    This one has 5 basics you may want to get started with: Stretching Exercises

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    What for, what are you trying to do?
    The idea is to start playing football (english) in the summer. I've not really done anything that active for a while and in that time I have grown quite a lot so some of my muscles are pretty tight.

When I played last summer I'd constantly pull my hamstring, but I'm pretty tight all over really, so would just like to stretch most of the main parts of my body really. Nothing to specific.

I went for my first jog in absolutely ages today, only did 3/4 a mile but I'm starting slow as usually I start too fast and end up getting minor injuries. So something I could do after jogging, so I'm warmed up would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    This one has 5 basics you may want to get started with: Stretching Exercises
    If only your penis was a muscle and things like that worked, I'd be doing them 3 times a day.
    That may be bullshit, but you can in fact use something similar to the dangle method to regrow your circumcised foreskin. I think there was a VICE episode about this. FSFTW?
    Looks about right

Maybe I'm selling myself short. I never really worked much on cleans, but am currently at 175 power clean from high hang. If I don't hang from above knee and instead do a full ROM, I get back problems. I also don't have much dip on the catch, no lower than 60 degrees, and I can do more weight, so maybe adding the full clean and full ROM significantly increases amount of weight that can be lifted, but I just can't imagine cleaning 300. If I refreshed on squatting, I could probably front squat that after about 3 months though

The most I ever power cleaned when I was in top form was some kind of sloppy 245 or something, but I also never practiced the move
    I think that is pretty good, and there is a lot of utility in doing the power versions of the O-lifts and/or doing them from the hang. It is something I have wanted to add back into my routine just due to the unique stress and power production in the lifts. I had done them in the past but there's only so much you can do with equipment limitations. Specifically once I got to around the weight you are using, I found it difficult to manually lower the weight without coming too close to tearing up a shoulder or bouncing the weight off the femurs. As well I am mostly a bodybuilder at heart so they really aren't all that imperative to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    The idea is to start playing football (english) in the summer. I've not really done anything that active for a while and in that time I have grown quite a lot so some of my muscles are pretty tight.

When I played last summer I'd constantly pull my hamstring, but I'm pretty tight all over really, so would just like to stretch most of the main parts of my body really. Nothing to specific.

I went for my first jog in absolutely ages today, only did 3/4 a mile but I'm starting slow as usually I start too fast and end up getting minor injuries. So something I could do after jogging, so I'm warmed up would be ideal.

If only your penis was a muscle and things like that worked, I'd be doing them 3 times a day.
    Definitely stretch after you run and not before. If your planing on running I would just google search stretches for the glutes, hams, calves and IT band. Even though you were pulling hamstrings, you could be lacking flexibility in other areas causing you to overuse or stretch the hams. Most runners I have dealt with have done much better injury wise when they try 3 things. 1) Learn to run properly, look into things like barefoot running or Chi running and find out about gate and heel striking. 2) Lose the expensive shoes. Start looking at shoes with less heel protection and all that eversion/inversion crap. Try vibrams or something designed for barefooters. 3) Foam rolling. It will be painful and worth it.

Also, work on some strength training. Nothing makes runners more injury prone than just running. It's hard on the body and when your milage starts to climb it's going to start tapping the muscles.
    Definitely stretch after you run and not before.
    Just to add to this, while you shouldn't stretch before you run, you should absolutely make sure to warm up to loosen your muscles. I usually walk for about 5 minutes, then jog very slowly and easily until I feel loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    That may be bullshit, but you can in fact use something similar to the dangle method to regrow your circumcised foreskin. I think there was a VICE episode about this. FSFTW?
    I saw a documentary that included a section on this. Apparently there's a bunch of people angry at having it stolen from them as a child when they didn't have a voice themselves. White peoples problems?
    Wow!
    I saw a documentary that included a section on this. Apparently there's a bunch of people angry at having it stolen from them as a child when they didn't have a voice themselves. White peoples problems?
    It's because some like to say that sex is better with it
    I've heard both sides make the claim. I've also heard girls are more inclined to give head without. I guess at the end of the day I just don't care.
    Holy fuckbirds. I kind of ignored that video on reddit cos I assumed it was afterwards and that it was just going to be a minute-long clip of the initial thumbnail. Glad I clicked it here.
    I've heard both sides make the claim. I've also heard girls are more inclined to give head without. I guess at the end of the day I just don't care.
    It's always such a classic "the way mine is is scientifically and objectively better and more awesome" argument
    All that matters is that when I have sex or get head it feels so good that it makes me really, really want to do it again, so much so that I'm sometimes inclined to do irrational things to experience it again sooner than might otherwise have been the case. If that's not what it's like for you, ha unlucky dude.
    All that matters is that when I have sex or get head it feels so good that it makes me really, really want to do it again, so much so that I'm sometimes inclined to do irrational things to experience it again sooner than might otherwise have been the case. If that's not what it's like for you, ha unlucky dude.
    that darth vader pic is one of my favorite on all of the internets
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    that darth vader pic is one of my favorite on all of the internets
    I'd love to see tosh.0 do a redemption episode with this guy. Somehow track him down, and just figure out what in the fuck went into this event becoming a reality.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    voodoo ITT
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Quote Originally Posted by bode View Post
    voodoo ITT
    this.
    i guess that's a hardcore carbon filter? activated carbon is good for removing all chemicals and shit. it doesn't seem to remove sugar though, the guy says (in japanese) that it basically tastes like sugar water.
    Filling out a tax return is so fucking frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by eugmac View Post
    i guess that's a hardcore carbon filter? activated carbon is good for removing all chemicals and shit. it doesn't seem to remove sugar though, the guy says (in japanese) that it basically tastes like sugar water.
    You impress me, eugmac-kun
    Last edited by Jack Sawyer; 04-22-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...

Cogito ergo sum

VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
    Filling out a tax return is so fucking frustrating.
    PM me if you get stuck
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    I'm stuck! Are you an accountant?
    Yep
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Brilliant. Will pm you when I get a chance later today. Thanks.
    But before I do, I just wanna check, do you work for hmrc?
    No I don't We'll continue this via PM I'll see what I can do for ya
    know that feeling when you step in something and you're sure right away that it's either a) ice cream or b) dog poo? today, for the first time ever, it was ice cream!
    So, I kinda' wanna move to New Zealand.
    My newest discovery and absolutely horrible treat, fries with mayo and sriracha