CO: $15.76 (63 bb)
    BTN: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A Q
    Hero raises to $0.75, MP calls $0.75, 4 folds

Flop: ($1.85) 7 6 7 (2 players)
    Hero bets $1.25, MP calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.35) 9 (2 players)
    Hero ??

villain is 17/9 0/3 fold to cb over like 50 hands. hadn't observed him getting out of line.

I cbet this board because it's typically a hard board to hit and I expect to have a decent amount of fold equity.

It's probably a pretty standard spot but I have to ask... is barrelling this card okay? Like I know we pick up the NFD but it is a paired board, and the 9 doesn't improve our fold equity at all.

I figure he calls flop with like 66-JJ (some QQ), A7s, 98s. Maybe he can have 22+ that will fold to a 2nd barrel or like AK or some random floated overs?

As always thoughts and advice are much appreciated
    I would always cbet this flop. I would b/f turn 2.2
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    If you're not going to barrel this card, then what cards are you barreling on?
    Would I be wrong in assuming that villains range would be wider than you are making out? Surely he will be aware that this is the type of flop people will cbet a lot so can continue with a fairly large part of his preflop MP calling range. Which he doesn't hit the turn with a lot of the time hence would be much more likely to fold to a second bet?

I'd bet like ~half pot and put villain on a over pair (or better obviously) if he called. Would bet the river with any spade, queen or ace. Unsure whether I'd fold to a reraise with an Ace or Queen, probably wouldn't in reality unsure if i should though.

Is A7s likely to be in his MP calling range btw? (genuine question, I have no idea)
    Last edited by Savy; 03-07-2013 at 10:33 PM.
    $3.55, let's threaten more of his stack than a half-pot bet

the 9 does help our perceived cbetting range a little bit, hands like 89s/9Ts/8Ts have all gotten there against 22-55 and Ace-high floats. Those hands would be in my 6max UTG opening range, not sure about how the game plays nowadays though.
    Last edited by bigspenda73; 03-08-2013 at 12:50 PM.
    I'm not sure how many villains are putting 8Ts in the UTG raising range of a reg at this level. I'd also be very surprised if they were profitable from UTG unless you mean playing them with a very low frequency.

The 9 helps a calling range a lot more than a cbetting range on this flop and a lot of the SC type hands that peeled the flop have now improved and will probably peel the turn. This is a pretty bad barrel card if we don't have equity. Luckily for us, we do have a lot of equity, and he's likely to fold low pairs so I keep betting anyway.

Given your stats on him so far, he doesn't seem the sort to attack small bets so I'd b/f around 2.20-2.50. I don't think a bigger bet gets many more hands to fold all the way up to pot size.

Question: Especially for supa. If he calls, are you ever betting the river when you miss? I'd image a lot of hands that call the turn will be middle pairs or low pair + draw types that will hate a 2 river.
    Last edited by Pelion; 03-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    gabe: Ive dropped almost 100k in the past 35 days.

bigspenda73: But how much did you win?
    the 17/9 doesn't have those hands

we're betting most, if not all rivers, also
    Look at it this way, if we checked and he bet $3 we would need about 29% equity to make the call.

Given our hand and overs, I'd imagine we have at least 25% here. So we almost have the proper odds to call a $3 bet even, so there's no reason why we shouldn't bet ourselves here. At least if we're the ones betting we have fold equity.

The only downside to betting here is if we're likely to get jammed, which in this particular spot on this board doesn't seem likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigspenda73 View Post
    the 17/9 doesn't have those hands

we're betting most, if not all rivers, also
    A 17/9 (after 50 hands) has 89s a lot more often than an UTG raiser reg has 8Ts imo.

I doubt the 17/9 ever has it from UTG+1
    He isn't 17/9. He's 17/9 after 50 hands. There's a big difference. It's not all that uncommon for me to be 30/20 or 12/7 on a table after only 50 hands. Small sample size has a huge effect on stats, and we have no real reads.

Most regs aren't going to be habitually raising random hands UTG at 25NL. Has the OP ever raised 8Ts utg at a 6 max table?

Anyway, this is derailing the thread pretty well now so I'm going to bow out.

For those advocating a 1/2-pot turn bet, why that sizing? I get the idea that we would want to bluff for less and bet value for more, and this is basically what I do against the hoards of non-thinking players I play against. But wouldn't a 25NL reg catch on? Is there a better reason for that sizing--like board texture or something--that doesn't involve card strength?
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbrack View Post
    For those advocating a 1/2-pot turn bet, why that sizing? I get the idea that we would want to bluff for less and bet value for more, and this is basically what I do against the hoards of non-thinking players I play against. But wouldn't a 25NL reg catch on? Is there a better reason for that sizing--like board texture or something--that doesn't involve card strength?
    It's a board people miss a lot, if I did have a hand like an overpair or 7x then I'd bet about half pot too. As the 9 doesn't really help any of his perceived range.