Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

#1 overall winner at $10/$20 NL on Pokerstars in 2010 - My story

Arrow #1 overall winner at $10/$20 NL on Pokerstars in 2010 - My story

Hey everyone, my name is Ryan. I played on Pokerstars under the screenname"YourDoom"

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself to your community. I thought I would start with a short story about my poker career. I hope you enjoy it...

This is my story about how I grew from playing $10 sngs to being the #1 overall winner at $10/$20 NL on Pokerstars in 2010.

I recently stumbled upon a thread in the low stakes thread (somehow) about this $0.10/$0.25 NL regular talking about how he crushes his level at over 10bb/100, and how he refuses to move up to $0.25/$0.50. Apparently he's only beating $0.25/$0.50 at 2bb/100. This is because any table he sits at is nothing but "sharks." He concludes that $0.10/$0.25 is the most profitable and best game to play...

I remember this post vividly because it really got me to thinking about my own skill level as an online poker player, and gave me a serious revelation on online poker in general...

My online poker career started back in 2005. I was working full time as an electrical engineer and was grinding (and crushing) $10 nine-handed sngs on Party poker in my free time. Doing this part time, my goal was to make $500 a month which would cover my portion of the rent of the townhouse that I shared with two of my buddies. I occasionally tried a $20 or a $30 sng, but found these tourneys to be way too tough and unprofitable. Once I took a shot at a $100 sng. I was extremely nervous. I distinctly remember the key hand. I was dealt AQ, and called a raise preflop. The flop was AA5. He bet and I called 3 times. He showed AK and I lost 60% of my stack. Everyone at the table started making fun of me. I typed "how can I fold that?" Someone typed back, "you click fold." I remember thinking, "wow, these games are way too tough for me." $10 sngs are clearly the most profitable games.

In the summer of 2007 I had since made the transition to cash games. I was working full time as a high school math teacher and playing online poker in my free time. Since I had summers off, I 3-tabled $1/$2 NL for a few hours every day and made 86 cents a hand. This was a winrate of 43bb/100...even though I had no idea what that meant at the time, (granted, the games were much softer back then.) I occasionally tried to play some $2/$4NL, but this level proved to be much harder. I couldn't win. I concluded that $1/$2 NL was by far the most profitable game to play on FT. I remember posting my winrate in a popular poker forum and EVERYONE was saying that I would never sustain that winrate; that it was impossible. Winning like that seemed normal enough to me, but maybe everyone was right. Maybe I was just a really lucky guy.

In 2008, I was playing $2/$4 on FT full time. Over the next six month stretch, I was winning at 21bb/100. I remember posting these results in some thread and having everyone fire back that was no way that I would ever sustain that winrate; that it was impossible. Again I felt like winning like that was what was normal, but maybe everyone was right. Maybe I was just a really lucky guy.

In June 2008, I was doing well enough that I decided to quit my full time teaching job to play online poker full time. This was when I found $3/$6 NL on PS. ($3/$6 rarely ran on FT.) And these games were amazing. From June 2008 - April 2010, $3/$6 NLHE was my main game and I beat that level at exactly 11.52bb/100 (the absolute highest winrate at that level on Pokerstars for any significant volume.) Again, when I discussed my winrate, I was told that anything over 7bb/100 was impossible to sustain for any lengthy stretch of time. Maybe I was just a really lucky guy.

During this stretch, I occasionally played $5/$10 NL, but could not beat the level as I just ran terrible all the time. (I can tell you the real reasons you "run terrible all the time" at one level higher than your main game.) Anyways, it was pretty clear to me...$3/$6 NL was the most profitable level to play. Anyone playing $5/$10 NL was an idiot. There was no value there.

In April 2010 I moved from $3/$6 to $10/$20 as my main game. I've been beating $10/$20 at right around 10bb/100 since April 2010 and had the #1 highest amount of winnings at that level of any Pokerstars player for 2010 (and #2 in the world among all tracked sites.) I received several posts on my PTR page about how hot I run and how NO-ONE beats $10/$20 NL at 10bb/100. Winning like that seemed normal enough to me, but maybe everyone was right. Maybe I'm just a really lucky guy.

So the point of my story?...Every level is beatable. It's all relative to your talent level. Never listen to the masses about what "can't" be done. If you can't beat a particular level, it's not because "you run bad at that level" or "there are too many sharks" there...you're just not good enough...yet. Also, in the long term, there is no such thing as "luck." Everyone's winrate over 4 years and one million hands is... well... your true winrate.
    ands is... well... your true winrate.
    Last edited by donkbee; 01-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    cool..
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Can offer RB deals on most sites, PM me.
    story...
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    C-C-C-COMBO BROKER
    lol, I pressed it.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanAronG View Post
    lol, I pressed it.
    ditto couldn't resist. Too tempting lol
    This is not my signature. I just write this at the bottom of every post.
    heres the full version of the OP {link removed}

since i made this look as if you aren't just looking for new students ,do i get a free hours coaching for steering people towards your coaching listing?
    Last edited by givememyleg; 01-06-2012 at 03:56 AM.
    I've already read this somewhere. Its like an urban legend. A scare story coaches tell to their students who try to move up to $10/$20. You sir are like Sasquatch of poker, a Yeti of Holdem, a Flop Ness Monster.

P.S. Free coaching and stake for 10/20 plz?
    During this stretch, I occasionally played $5/$10 NL, but could not beat the level as I just ran terrible all the time.
    If you can't beat a particular level, it's not because "you run bad at that level" or "there are too many sharks" there...you're just not good enough
    Where do I sign in the blood of my first born?
    Hey everyone! Like I said I'm new to this forum. I'll be contributing to strategy posts in the 6-max forum and will also be happy to answer any (um, most ) questions that you may have for me here...

I hope you enjoyed my story...
    Ryan
    yes I was also wondering about what kiwi pointed out. You seem to just skip over 5/10, believing it to be cursed, then go on about how there's no such thing as a cursed level. How can you advocate against level superstition when it seems to have worked so well for you?
    yes I was also wondering about what kiwi pointed out. You seem to just skip over 5/10, believing it to be cursed, then go on about how there's no such thing as a cursed level. How can you advocate against level superstition when it seems to have worked so well for you?
    I was trying to illustrate here that I didn't yet understand that no level is actually "cursed." I was actually in the same mindset as the SS Reg at the start of the story (the mindset that many players have) that whatever level you are "comfortable with" has to be the most profitable on the site.

"During this stretch, I occasionally played $5/$10 NL, but could not beat the level as I just ran terrible all the time. (I can tell you the real reasons you "run terrible all the time" at one level higher than your main game.) Anyways, it was pretty clear to me...$3/$6 NL was the most profitable level to play. Anyone playing $5/$10 NL was an idiot. There was no value there."

Yes, I did sort of skip $5/$10 NL. When PS introduced the 50BB tables they were so good, I learned everything there is to know about 40BB and 50BB stack play and started playing $10/$20NL with a $1k buy in (which I was much more comfortable with than a $2k buy in.) From there I got used to the amounts and more comfortable playing a little deeper until I became real comfortable playing with (and losing) $2k stacks.

So $5/$10 did sort of get "skipped" but it was more bc of the circumstances that unfolded...def not bc it was "cursed" in any way.
    Thanks. I figured as much, just had to take the obvious jab as that's how the story kind of reads.

At those stakes, aren't the # of tables so few that you have to end up dipping into adjacent levels? No significant amount of 5/10 or 25/50 in the mix?
    Thanks. I figured as much, just had to take the obvious jab as that's how the story kind of reads.

At those stakes, aren't the # of tables so few that you have to end up dipping into adjacent levels? No significant amount of 5/10 or 25/50 in the mix?
    Well if you check out my stats at those levels, you see that I did play a few hands if there were not enough good 10/20 games running...but 10/20 was my main game.
    yeah that was a shitty question anyway.

Ok here's another one: what brings you to ftr? are you trying to get some students? I don't have a problem with that as long as you contribute to the community, and I've seen you post in a few HH threads already. Solid players posting quality strat are always welcome, I'm just curious what brings you here.
    Why do you bother to coach people? It can't be solely for financial reasons as you clearly make a ton playing poker and could simply play more if that was your goal. So why start a coaching site?
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDoom View Post
    My online poker career started back in 2005. I was working full time as an electrical engineer...

In the summer of 2007 I had .... I was working full time as a high school math teacher and playing online poker in my free time... .
    Wait... Wat?
    "Just cause I'm from the South don't mean I ain't got no book learnin'"

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    ...we've all learned long ago how to share the truth without actually having the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquach991 View Post
    Wait... Wat?
    In 2005 I walked out of my grey, windowless, soulless dead end programming job and went back to school full time to become a high school math teacher...

I received a Master's degree in secondary math education and then went on to teach HS math for 3 years.

I was only playing poker part time during this time period and not taking it too seriously.

It worked out well as I believe the combination of my teaching experience with my online poker skills has turned me into a very successful NLH Coach.
    yeah that was a shitty question anyway.

Ok here's another one: what brings you to ftr? are you trying to get some students? I don't have a problem with that as long as you contribute to the community, and I've seen you post in a few HH threads already. Solid players posting quality strat are always welcome, I'm just curious what brings you here.
    Sorry, you are already over your 1 question limit. Just kidding...

Well yes, I'm just trying to get my name out there to poker players who may of never heard of "YourDoom," but could really benefit from what I have to offer.

In exchange for this exposure I'll be contributing as much as I can in terms of stories and general strat in the 6-max forum. So hopefully it's a win-win-win for everyone involved.
    Why do you bother to coach people? It can't be solely for financial reasons as you clearly make a ton playing poker and could simply play more if that was your goal. So why start a coaching site?
    Well, first, I live in the US, so I can't play on any of the bigger sites at the moment.

And second, I really prefer teaching to playing. I find it more fulfilling to help people than to just sit around taking their money all day.
    not being a dick but this^
    oh ok
    Lol at all the haters commenting on your ptr page, including one our very own I see.

Anyway, welcome to ftr. I look forward to reading your hand analysis posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by YourDoom View Post
    In 2005 I walked out of my grey, windowless, soulless dead end programming job and went back to school full time to become a high school math teacher...

I received a Master's degree in secondary math education and then went on to teach HS math for 3 years.

I was only playing poker part time during this time period and not taking it too seriously.

It worked out well as I believe the combination of my teaching experience with my online poker skills has turned me into a very successful NLH Coach.
    So if I quit my engineering job and start teaching school, I will be balla poka player too?

I do like teaching too. Esp. math. I made lots of money in college tutoring.

Welcome to FTR
    "Just cause I'm from the South don't mean I ain't got no book learnin'"

Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    ...we've all learned long ago how to share the truth without actually having the truth.
    Because he can make some variance free money from those willing to pay. They're usually micro players who are looking for some a-ha moment.
    [20:19] <Zill4> god
    [20:19] <Zill4> u guys
    [20:19] <Zill4> so fking hopeless
    [20:19] <Zill4> and dumb
    LOL!!!!
    just gonna lock this now
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!