Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumBeginners Circle

What can I do with a 5$ BR !!

View Poll Results: What do you think of this challange?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

6 75.00%
  • Bad

2 25.00%

Lightbulb What can I do with a 5$ BR !!

Hey Guys,
    I have 5$ in my Account.I play in PokerStars with the same name.I have been playing the .10$,360 plr Turbo MTTSnG for some days.I made in the money for a couple of times but no real winnings.I got tired of playing it.Plus the Hyper Turbo is not really my kind of game.Its more of a flip-flip situation.No place for "real" Poker

So I have decided to play 20 games of .25$,90 plr regular (15 min blind level).I may loose my whole BR or may double it.I dont know.I guess I will have to find out.I will post the result of those 20 games here.
    Last edited by shokuni; 07-16-2013 at 09:25 PM.
    hey there. welcome to the forum. your thread is more suited to the "blogs and operations" sub-forum. i'm sure a moderator will move the thread there for you soon enough. as for your challenge, your small bankroll leaves you at a very high risk-of-ruin. i'd advise checking out some strategy threads about "bankroll management" in the beginner's digest if you plan on making a serious long-term habit of grinding the pokers. best of luck!

edit: as long as this $5 isn't money you strictly need for your daily expenses, i don't see any harm in this little challenge. however, if you plan on taking poker seriously and making some money, you're going to need more of a bankroll to be able to deal with the swings that come with poker (particularly tournaments).
    Last edited by rpm; 07-17-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    Just deposit $40-50 and stop wasting your time. But if that's how you want to roll good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNreg View Post
    Just deposit $40-50 and stop wasting your time. But if that's how you want to roll good luck!
    So far i have played 4 games of .25$, 90 plr and 3 games of .25, 45 plr.
    The result is here.
    .25$, 90 plr

Game 01 : 40th, no money
    Game 02 : 3rd, 2.89$
    Game 03 : 1st, 5.78$
    Game 04 : 15th, no money

.25$, 45 plr

Game 01 : 14th, no money
    Game 02 : 5th, 0.93$
    Game 03 : 2nd, 2.22$
    Total Buy-in :1.75$
    Total profit :10.07$
    ROI : 575.42%
    ITM : 57.14%
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    hey there. welcome to the forum. your thread is more suited to the "blogs and operations" sub-forum. i'm sure a moderator will move the thread there for you soon enough. as for your challenge, your small bankroll leaves you at a very high risk-of-ruin. i'd advise checking out some strategy threads about "bankroll management" in the beginner's digest if you plan on making a serious long-term habit of grinding the pokers. best of luck!

edit: as long as this $5 isn't money you strictly need for your daily expenses, i don't see any harm in this little challenge. however, if you plan on taking poker seriously and making some money, you're going to need more of a bankroll to be able to deal with the swings that come with poker (particularly tournaments).
    As soon as my BR hit 25$, i will start playing 1$,45 plr SNGs. I will play it Until I have a BR of 100$.Then i will start playing 2.5$,90 plr.When i hit 250$ i will start playing 4.5$,180 plr.For now That is my goal.And i will occasionally try some large field MTTs,specially on holidays.
    All these are Non-turbo.I hate playing Turbo.That sucks.
    Good Luck! Anything is possible.
    Didn't Tom Dwan build his bankroll from a $50 deposit, playing $5 sng's, finally cashing in his final two games after being down $35+ ?
    I remember being young and indestructable.
    see from 3:30 to find out what to do with 5$
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvH34nJ7EFE
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaselT View Post
    see from 3:30 to find out what to do with 5$
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvH34nJ7EFE
    LOL

"Buy a book and rent a gun."
    Game 8 : $.25,90 plr 2nd place (3.82$)
    If you're just looking for a little bit of fun and can't afford to deposit more, then there's no harm in this challenge ofc. If you plan on a decent bankroll quickly however and making a few thousand bucks extra income per year, I'd say you are practically wasting your time (speaking from experience here - I went through the process of grinding a roll from zero whilst learning the game from scratch a few years ago and I can safely say that I wouldn't advise anybody do the same).

I strongly recommend that you deposit $50 and play 2nl if you have the funds available and don't mind losing them.
    I currently have a BR of 45$ and from today i will start playing 1$, 45plr Sng.I have played .25$,45 plr Sng quiet a fiew and my result there was pretty good.I am familiar with this structure.Hopefully i will be able to grind my BR upto 100$ playing this.After that i will start playing 2.50$,90 plr Sng.My ultimate goal is to have a Deep BR to play the 4.5$,180 plr MTT Sng.
    Quote Originally Posted by shokuni View Post
    I currently have a BR of 45$ and from today i will start playing 1$, 45plr Sng.I have played .25$,45 plr Sng quiet a fiew and my result there was pretty good.I am familiar with this structure.Hopefully i will be able to grind my BR upto 100$ playing this.After that i will start playing 2.50$,90 plr Sng.My ultimate goal is to have a Deep BR to play the 4.5$,180 plr MTT Sng.
    As you seem to be doing fine at these sng's for now. In bankroll management terms I think your skating on thin ice.. But, it's hard to tell someone this who is just starting out. I know this from personal experience as do a lot of the guys on here. which is why i'm assuming you posted. like bean said, maybe switch over to 2nl with your $50.

Why does it seem new players donn't like ring games?? Or is this just me?
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    I don't think what this guy is doing is so bad, in part it is also about building confidence in his play. Phil Galfond also built his roll from SNGs btw (higher stake than this but you get the idea).

Download sitngo wizard 30-day free trial and try to solve many of the quizzes to get comfortable with ICM and allin hand strengths. They have 3 difficulty settings so you can work your way up
    Yesterday i made a final table of a 1.10$ MTT (around 1700 entrants).Became 7th and got 50$ which just doubled my BR.I was the chip leader with a big lead(1.2 mill to 700k) when there was 10 player.Then i tried to be brave and made some hero call.lost 2/3rd of my stack there and entered the final table as the lowest stack.I realized i have serious flaws in my game when it comes to the later stage of MTT.Can you guys suggest me some readings on this.I really wanna improve my game. I am a Law student & i want to pay my tuition by poker.And also a lot of guys talk about HUD or tracking software.Is this really necessary?How can i get one of those?And finally i realized BRM is as important as playing good poker.So i have BR of 100$ now (which i built from 5$).Which game do you think i should play regularly?How many tables should i play at a time?I am now comfortable with 3 at a time.I know this is a lot of questions!!LOL.But i would really appritiate your help.Thnx!!
    ICM nash calculator....... harrington books to
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Is this book SnG Strategy by Collin Moshman any good?I have downloaded it but didnt started to read it.I just dont want to waste my time reading a so called poker book.learning things which i already know.
    Have you tried the quizzes from sitngo wizard? It is the best way to find out if you are thinking along the right lines already or not, and what you need to work on.
    i'm assuming you downloaded a knockoff copy of the book.....which is ironic for a law student.
    Moshman's book is a good book for sng's . GL and keep grinding , but be prepared for downers after your heater ends
    Is this book SnG Strategy by Collin Moshman any good?I have downloaded it but didnt started to read it.I just dont want to waste my time reading a so called poker book.learning things which i already know.
    Every poker book is going to be full of things you already know. The beauty is putting all of those things you know into a new context.

The first few chapters can be tedious to get through. That doesn't mean they're not worth reading. They set the groundwork for all the later concepts coming in the book and help you get in sync with the author's method.

Even if you spend a couple of hours reading and realize that you hate the author's tone, you haven't really lost anything. If you take the time to understand why the book is disappointing, you'll have learned a huge amount anyway.

Congrats on your great run. Keep it up.
    The most popular tracking software people use is "holdem manager" or "pokertracker".Both come with a HUD (heads up display).They both also offer free trials, so you could try both and see which one you like the best. Are they really necessary? I would say yes if you are going to take your game serious.

On the question of which game you should play. I would suggest playing all formats and sticking with the one you enjoy the most.
    dirtyden, your avatar really needs to be a seedy picture of Leslie Grantham - would make me chuckle every time I saw it!
    I have started reading collin Moshman's book and its amazing.I am thinking to move to 1 table Sng.
    Last edited by shokuni; 07-29-2013 at 04:44 AM.
    With $5 there is little point in bankroll management. Your strategy worked for you, if it hadn't it's just 5 bucks which you probably could have reloaded. But if you had done that a few times it would have been comparable to starting with a higher bankroll.
    You've done well to get up to $100 so now it is time to start being more careful with the percentage of your bankroll you play.
    You have been doing well with your current games, and now you can afford to play them.

I would suggest you carry on doing the same thing and see if you can continue the same results and make another 100.
    Only then start thinking about moving up or other games.

(If you are going to try single table sng then remember bankroll management and that you are NOT rolled for $5 tables. Couple of $1 tables should be fine though).
    Last edited by chemist; 07-29-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    I started playing 1.5$ 1 table sng.The results are not good.I hv a bankroll of 70$ now.I think i will stick with the previous games untill my BR is 200$.Then i will move up.I realized the variance in tourney is pretty rough.
    My last 15 game stat :

Avg. BI : 0.71$
    Total Profit : 25.15$
    ROI : 236.15%
    ITM : 53.33%
    Increase that buyin size.
    Hey Guys,
    I have 5$ in my Account.I play in PokerStars with the same name.I have been playing the .10$,360 plr Turbo MTTSnG for some days.I made in the money for a couple of times but no real winnings.I got tired of playing it.Plus the Hyper Turbo is not really my kind of game.Its more of a flip-flip situation.No place for "real" Poker

So I have decided to play 20 games of .25$,90 plr regular (15 min blind level).I may loose my whole BR or may double it.I dont know.I guess I will have to find out.I will post the result of those 20 games here.
    I d say deposit and study bankroll management

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=poker+bankroll+management
    Quote Originally Posted by jackvance View Post
    Increase that buyin size.
    He tried that and dropped from 100$ to 70$ and then had the good sense and good BRM to drop back to the previous buyin size that had been working to build it back with a target of doubling it to 200$ before trying increasing buyin size again. Which is a good plan.
    It's about 40% BR for the lowest FLHE stakes on stars, but u can't be as nitty as at SNGs
    If things were to magically revert to January 1st, 2003, only I could take everything I know now in terms of poker ability/knowledge, bonus clearing, etc., I think it's safe to say that it would be trivially easy to make over a million dollars.
    Yesterday i made a final table of a 1.10$ MTT (around 1700 entrants).Became 7th and got 50$ which just doubled my BR.I was the chip leader with a big lead(1.2 mill to 700k) when there was 10 player.Then i tried to be brave and made some hero call.lost 2/3rd of my stack there and entered the final table as the lowest stack.I realized i have serious flaws in my game when it comes to the later stage of MTT.Can you guys suggest me some readings on this.I really wanna improve my game. I am a Law student & i want to pay my tuition by poker.And also a lot of guys talk about HUD or tracking software.Is this really necessary?How can i get one of those?And finally i realized BRM is as important as playing good poker.So i have BR of 100$ now (which i built from 5$).Which game do you think i should play regularly?How many tables should i play at a time?I am now comfortable with 3 at a time.I know this is a lot of questions!!LOL.But i would really appritiate your help.Thnx!!
    pokertracker 3 has 3 months trial which is totally functional and helps ur play a lot
    If things were to magically revert to January 1st, 2003, only I could take everything I know now in terms of poker ability/knowledge, bonus clearing, etc., I think it's safe to say that it would be trivially easy to make over a million dollars.
    Might be well outdated by the modern standards of play, but is good for micro SNGs. But better watch some videos from coaching sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldPhaser View Post
    ICM nash calculator....... harrington books to
    SNG wizard and if you can't afford it, there's an alternative: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/7/ (STars TOS only allow them when stars client doesn't run)
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    edit: as long as this $5 isn't money you strictly need for your daily expenses, i don't see any harm in this little challenge.
    Ok that made me snort a little as I laughed.

Blasting $5 at 25c games is fine, I can't imagine why anyone would want to employ strict BRM with a five bucks roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Play a 5 buck heads up game. Win. Play a 10 buck heads up game, win. Rolled for 2nl. Simple.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    Hey guys,just became 5th in a MTT.won 112$.Bankroll is now 220$.Any suggestion which should i play now??
    Thnx man.
    Sunday Millions is a £215 BI I think, enter that and win. If lose then you still have $5 to start again with.
    Last edited by Savy; 08-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist View Post
    He tried that and dropped from 100$ to 70$ and then had the good sense and good BRM to drop back to the previous buyin size that had been working to build it back with a target of doubling it to 200$ before trying increasing buyin size again. Which is a good plan.
    Thnx man.
    think freerolls and money added forum tourneys are your best bet in the short term

the low level sngs tend to have a higher comensurate rake

and micro cash isnt typically the easiest to win after rake