Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

spots where i cbet and gave up (3 random hands)

Default spots where i cbet and gave up (3 random hands)

Rong just sweated me and it seems that I fire again on turns far less frequently than he does, so it got me looking into the database for some hands to investigate.

Hand 1. Villain is 50/3.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

SB ($5.02)
    BB ($5)
    UTG ($9.69)
    MP ($10.60)
    Hero (Button) ($7.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, K
    UTG calls $0.05, 1 fold, Hero bets $0.25, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.57) 3, J, Q (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets $0.30, UTG calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.17) 9 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.17) 5 (2 players)
    UTG checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $1.17 | Rake: $0.05

Results below:
    Spoiler:

Hero didn't show A, K (nothing).
    UTG had A, 8 (flush, Ace high).
    Outcome: UTG won $1.12

Hand 2. Villain is 42/14

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

BB ($10.89)
    UTG ($14.68)
    MP ($11.66)
    Hero (Button) ($5.11)
    SB ($1.23)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, 10
    2 folds, Hero bets $0.10, SB calls $0.08, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.25) 7, J, 5 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.65) 2 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.65) 9 (2 players)
    SB bets $0.93 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: $0.65 | Rake: $0.03

Results below:
    Spoiler:

SB didn't show

Hand 3. Villain is 38/32/23 and is aggressive postflop.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, €0.05 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

SB (€4.89)
    BB (€5.90)
    UTG (€3.69)
    MP (€7.36)
    Hero (Button) (€5.05)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7, A
    2 folds, Hero bets €0.15, 1 fold, BB calls €0.10

Flop: (€0.32) 2, 3, 9 (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets €0.15, BB calls €0.15

Turn: (€0.62) 9 (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero checks

River: (€0.62) K (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero checks

Total pot: €0.62 | Rake: €0.03

Results below:
    Spoiler:

Hero had 7, A (one pair, nines).
    BB had 5, A (one pair, nines).
    Outcome: Hero won €0.59

Common theme, my bet sizing on flops are probably mostly too small, and on turns for that matter also, but we're looking at spots specifically where I chose to check instead of betting again. Exception hand 2 where the flop sizing seems larger than normal, but I think I was planning on barrelling on turns that give us extra equity? Is this poor thinking?
    Last edited by eugmac; 06-05-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    These look good.

The only hand I might barrel is 2, because there are so many straight draws / gutters on that type of board. 46/68/89/9T. Lots of hands will also peel that board that can't take heat, 5x, 66, 7x, 88, 99 type stuff.

Even still, not barreling is for sure fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    1 - seems fine against this guy to one and done on this board. Your bet sizing is too small to be for value though against non-fish and I'd be looking to c/r you or c/call and donk vs this sizing with almost my entire range.

2 - Bigger pre with a 42/14 in the sb. One and done half pot seems fine to me on this flop texture and on these turn and river cards against a station.

3 - this one I would barrel off. If I am checking the turn, I'm certainly betting the king river. Your bet sizing looks fine on the flop, but I'd expect a 38/32 to chk/call a large part of their range on this flop but fold to turn and river barrels on this run-out (as long as hero's image isn't maniac).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    1 - seems fine against this guy to one and done on this board. Your bet sizing is too small to be for value though against non-fish and I'd be looking to c/r you or c/call and donk vs this sizing with almost my entire range.

2 - Bigger pre with a 42/14 in the sb. One and done half pot seems fine to me on this flop texture and on these turn and river cards against a station.

3 - this one I would barrel off. If I am checking the turn, I'm certainly betting the king river. Your bet sizing looks fine on the flop, but I'd expect a 38/32 to chk/call a large part of their range on this flop but fold to turn and river barrels on this run-out (as long as hero's image isn't maniac).
    Hand 3 - An aggressive villain would certainly bluff a river flush card / K / after 9x peels on the turn and hero checks back. If we're facing a check here, I feel like we are getting c/c or c/r very often. This isn't a good spot to bluff. I might even ck back some Kx here sometimes, if I thought villain was tricky and capable of c/r shoves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    I'm firing a 2nd barrel in hands 1 and 3, and giving up hand 2. Hand 3 is the most interesting, knowing villain is aggro post flop I could even be tempted to call off a river bet with ace high if he flats flop and turn, because I'd expect him to raise his flush draws and top pairs. Villain's hand here absolutely stinks of an Ax gutshot type hand. Hand 1 I'm 2barrelling because he can have hands like KT AT etc, there's value there vs a fish. I obviously check back river, seeing as he's not calling worse to a bet and is nearly always calling better. Hand 2 I give up because villain is short stack fish who will raise all in vs the vast majority of turn bets.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    All three hands look fine to me. I can't think of much of an argument for barreling on any of them.
    Hand 1:
    Is the cbet for value? If so, bet bigger. If not, nothing better folds the flop, so you should be betting this size with the intention of barreling, and this turn is decent to barrel. I probably just check back the flop, though, and coast to showdown unimproved.

Hand 2:
    No idea why we'd barrel this turn.

Hand 3:
    Not sure what our plan was on the flop (esp with sizing), but this is the worst card in the deck to barrel.
    Last edited by surviva316; 06-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    1 Why barrel a station?
    2 Dry board, big flop bet, he called with something, no sense betting turn.
    3 Might not even bet flop here.
    Check out my self-deprecation here!
    Hand 1: Seems fine
    Hand 2: Fine to cbet, though I'd probably bet smaller
    Hand 3: Seems fine

Hand 3 seems like the worst one to barrel turn. That turn card reduces our value combos, and it brings in the bdfd that villain could have floated with. It's pretty much the nut bad card in the deck if we wanted to db.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    Hand 1:
    Is the cbet for value? If so, bet bigger. If not, nothing better folds the flop, so you should be betting this size with the intention of barreling, and this turn is decent to barrel. I probably just check back the flop, though, and coast to showdown unimproved.

Hand 2:
    No idea why we'd barrel this turn.

Hand 3:
    Not sure what our plan was on the flop (esp with sizing), but this is the worst card in the deck to barrel.
    depends... with ace high pretty much yes