Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Pre-flop play for groups other than 0-4 ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ttanaka
    And, of course, the semi-bluff is a clutch move, but if I was playing against you in that particular hand, I would have made it pricey to see that turn! lol
    With top pair weak kicker? That would be balls.
    And, of course, the semi-bluff is a clutch move, but if I was playing against you in that particular hand, I would have made it pricey to see that turn! lol
    Ah, thank you very much man! I will read the group 5 recommendations right away :P
    Ah, thank you very much man! I will read the group 5 recommendations right away :P
    Re: your section on group 5 hands and domination. Caro disagrees.

http://www.cardplayer.com/caro/caro04.wax

I think my next computer program will explore this topic some more...

For X hand what are the raw odds you're dominated and how badly... Starting with Ace-X.

For X hand what are the raw odds you're dominated and how badly... Starting with Ace-X.

I listened to the Caro discussion, I didn't hear any disagreement between his commentary and the Group 5 essay. He mentions that domination is not that profound a subject, and that is true, big cards are better than low cards... bottom line, simple enough. He mentions to play profitable hands (regardless of fear of domination), like KJ, which I do and recommend (1st hand in my Group 5).

The key that I wanted to make in that essay is to be wary and careful playing these hands against raises - that is the more likely dominated scenario. But limping in, or even raising in mid or late position, with some of these hands is a good play (as Caro agrees).

Maybe I missed something? - Can you let me know your take?
    I listened to the Caro discussion, I didn't hear any disagreement between his commentary and the Group 5 essay. He mentions that domination is not that profound a subject, and that is true, big cards are better than low cards... bottom line, simple enough. He mentions to play profitable hands (regardless of fear of domination), like KJ, which I do and recommend (1st hand in my Group 5).

The key that I wanted to make in that essay is to be wary and careful playing these hands against raises - that is the more likely dominated scenario. But limping in, or even raising in mid or late position, with some of these hands is a good play (as Caro agrees).