Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

SWINGS IN LIMIT

View Poll Results: What limit in LIMIT has less swings?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1/3

0 0%
  • $2/4

0 0%
  • $3/6

2 100.00%
  • $4/8

0 0%
  • All the above; switch to $10/20 and $15/30

0 0%

Default SWINGS IN LIMIT

Hey Gents,

Going to Vegas this weekend for the first time. Feel pretty good about the amount of playing/homework I have done in the last 6 months and feel good that I'm at least not walking into a total mindfield.

I plan to play LIMIT the whole time I'm there. I have about $150 in bankroll (although I'm not sure you can call $150 a bankroll heh
    Although tempted to play $1/3; since my bankroll would be close to about 10x the big blind; are the swings to high in a game like this!? My thoughts say "YES"; that I should take my game to a $3/6 or $4/8 where the game is a tad more straight up less lame calls to the river; however its obvious that my bankroll may not be able to support such a game. So here is my question? Do I play at a higher table i.e. $3/6 and $4/8 hope for playable cards early or do I grind it out at the $1/3 tables.

As always everyones thoughts and comments are much appreciated!
    IMHO $3/6 is high enough to weed out the complete losers and chasers, but low enough to keep some fish and some tourists. If you find the tables too skillful, you can move down to $2/4. I wouldn't go below that, though. $1/3 is too low....since you will most likely be playing full rings, and be folding most of the time anyway, you WANT the limits a little bigger to punish the chasers when you go into a flop with the odds on your side.

That said, I like to go with 30xBB minimum, so if you can up your bankroll to $200+, you will be more prepared for the swings. Better to have it and not need it....

Then again, you might be more skillful than I am. I am an 'intermediate' poker player, and I find the $6/12 and $10/20 tables have too many regulars and grinders.
    I like to take at least 20x the BB to the table iwth me.. so with 150 i'd look at 3/6 - 4/8. But that amount of money is a buy-in not a "bank roll".

If your looking for longer play then sit at the 1/3 tables have a good time and enjoy the drinks.
    You're bankroll is too small for a whole weekend at 3-6 or higher. It may be ok for a single session. Even at 2-4, if the hand gets crazy and the pot is capped, as often happens in 2-4, you're bankroll can be eaten up in 2-3 hands. If you're too worried about blowing the whole bank, you may be inclined to be less agressive, which is a mistake.

Here's a little war story from my trip to vegas: I was a novice, first time in real b&m on this trip. Last night in town. Limit $2-4. I get AA under the gun. Raise. Flop comes 235 rainbow. I bet and raise and reraise, still 5 people in the hand, hand is capped. Wow, I'm in great shape, have top pair and draw to wheel. Turn is 4. Pot is capped again. River is 6. Pot is capped again. I knew I was beat but the pot was over $150.00 and I would not lay down the rockets. 2 people had the 7 for the straight.
    Send lawyers, guns and money - the sh*t has hit the fan!