Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

Operation: Learning to Think - Eliminate The TAG-FISH in Me

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Spectacular work. I hope your family was impressed if not supportive of your accomplishments. 7k a month translates to 84k a year plus we don't know where this glass ceiling will shatter

Good luck moving forward.
    thanks, as for my family..

my parents are actually pretty cool with me playing poker - my mom seems a little less thrilled than my dad about it, but they have pretty much grown to accept it (at first it was difficult for them but it has gotten easier over time I believe).

my grandparents however, have no idea...and I'm really unsure of what to tell them because I know they won't be able to understand at all. my grandfather is really old school and wouldn't appreciate me 'gambling' nor would he believe that winnings in poker are sustainable. so I guess that's the next biggest challenge in real life for me because sooner or later they are going to be curious about what I do with my time.

if anyone has some sort of suggestions on how I can approach old people and tell them what I do I'd really appreciate any help on this, maybe even starting a thread about how to explain poker to family members would be a good idea.
    That's a pretty tricky area. I have a day job making $75k and I still get disapproving comments from some family. Unfortunately, some people just get it in their head that everything about poker is wrong or they can't distinguish gambling from poker or whatever. It's understandable, though, because most poker players DO lose money. And the losing ones say they are winners just as much as the real winners do.
    - Jason

When it comes down to it, you don't have to tell the truth. I know you would like to, but poker has only recently become semi-acceptable due to tv coverage. Back in the day, Doyle Brunson and others just lied about their profession. Take the easy road, imo.
    <daven> why not simply have more sex
    <m2mgrind> well im not gonna solely play mtts
    lol nice