Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

(2nl) 99 UTG 4b pot 3-way flop

Default (2nl) 99 UTG 4b pot 3-way flop

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $2.27 (VPIP: 17.86, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 57)
    SB: $2.00 (VPIP: 20.41, PFR: 16.33, 3Bet Preflop: 2.56, Hands: 99)
    BB: $3.50 (VPIP: 26.50, PFR: 22.34, 3Bet Preflop: 7.22, Hands: 288)
    Hero (UTG): $2.19
    MP: $2.51 (VPIP: 76.47, PFR: 35.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 17)
    CO: $2.14 (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 9 9

Hero raises to $0.06, MP raises to $0.18, CO raises to $0.42, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.36, MP calls $0.24

Flop: ($1.29, 3 players) 7 8 T
    [color=red]Hero

MP: only FCB(1/4) WTSD(2/13), and had 4b 56o in HJ (utg, mp limped, he iso'd , then utg 3b and he 4b his 65o , then called flop shove on 7Q3 flop.

CO: unknown, even so i'm thinking his 4bet is legit TT+,AQs+

I flat basically to set mine because i know im getting paid off when i do hit. THen this flop comes .

just wondering what you guys are doing here? and i'll tell ya what i did.
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    Fold pre. Why are you setmining? You call a $0.36 bet. What's that x15? $4.90. Are you winning that much when you hit? Not even if they both stack off. This is ugly. Both of these guys look fishy, neither of them have reraised pre flop, so throw this away. This isn't even marginal.

Flop, well the fact I hate one of the best flops we can hope for says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    I would probably c/r all in on flop because I really don't know what else to do. All I'm thinking is I wish I folded pre.
    ongies gonna ong
    Pre-flop is mega mega spew imo. Like not even close. You need around 15x effective stacks to set hunt imo (here we're calling 0.36 and he has like 1.80ish behind after, so no where close to set odds).

You happen to flop as gin as it can get without having a set, so given we're UTG and cold called a 4b, I would just open jam and hope that it looks mega strong and something like JJ,QQ can maaybe find a fold.

Still I would assess your set hunting game. You need more than 10x, and 15x is a lot more reasonable given:
    1. You won't always get paid off when you hit a set
    2. Sometimes you will be tempted to peel flops, even when your pre-flop plan was to set hunt (ie: flop comes 226 and you c/c one anyhow)
    3. Even when you hit a set, you don't always win (beit set over set on the flop, or they outdraw you to their higher set or flush/striaght etc)

If you're calling here you're probably calling in a lot of spots that aren't profitable imo. You should run a filter for pairs, and low pairs especially like 22-55 when you call pre and see how you're doing with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks
    Quote Originally Posted by griffey24 View Post
    Pre-flop is mega mega spew imo. Like not even close. You need around 15x effective stacks to set hunt imo (here we're calling 0.36 and he has like 1.80ish behind after, so no where close to set odds).

You happen to flop as gin as it can get without having a set, so given we're UTG and cold called a 4b, I would just open jam and hope that it looks mega strong and something like JJ,QQ can maaybe find a fold.

Still I would assess your set hunting game. You need more than 10x, and 15x is a lot more reasonable given:
    1. You won't always get paid off when you hit a set
    2. Sometimes you will be tempted to peel flops, even when your pre-flop plan was to set hunt (ie: flop comes 226 and you c/c one anyhow)
    3. Even when you hit a set, you don't always win (beit set over set on the flop, or they outdraw you to their higher set or flush/striaght etc)

If you're calling here you're probably calling in a lot of spots that aren't profitable imo. You should run a filter for pairs, and low pairs especially like 22-55 when you call pre and see how you're doing with them.
    yeah, thanks grif for hitting me with that. There is no doubt I'm doing a lot wrong, but i'm actually not doing too bad with my lower pp's, def over- valuing mid pairs though as the hand above shows.

i'm rusty as hell, my head is spinning a bit. I got my roll up to $30 from freerolls, and a couple $3/$5 stt's i won entry in by spinning this slot machine wheel, it only cost a penny so , i give myself 5 spins here and there, but anyway i'm doing so/so @ 2nl, which is really aggravating ya know. There is no reason i should'nt be crushing 2nl. I think I really need to slow down, hit the pen and paper, and do some good studying. I have like 200+ dueces cracked vids, and posting too. I've barely posted shit.

So, if there is any other advice for getting back into grinding after a long time away I would appreciate it. I'm ready to really get back into it, I think I just need a little direction. I appreciate any advice from anyone as always, thanks Ong!! and everyone else FTR is hands down the best . you guys turned me into a winning cash game player . I'm ready to win again.
    "We're all just a million little gods causing rainstorms, turning every good thing to rust...."AF
    There is no reason i should'nt be crushing 2nl.
    I suffer from this kind of arrogance, and it's taken me quite a lot longer than I'd have hoped to realise I'm wrong. And so are you.

Just because you post in a poker forum, try to play good poker, and you're playing against muppets, doesn't mean you should be crushing it. It's easy to think we can outplay fish on every street, and that mindset encourages mistakes that hurt our winrate to the point that we're no better than the field.

What sets out the good players from the fish at these stakes are hands like this. If you fold 99 pre flop when facing a 3b and 4b, you just did something that 90% of the field is not doing. That's what makes you a winning player.

Be disciplined.
    ongies gonna ong
    I should point out that even if we have x15 implied odds vs the 4better, we still fold because we still have the 3better to act behind us, and we're gonna get blown out too often. I'd be cold calling this if we had maybe x25 implied odds, although admittedly I'm pulling that number out of my arse. Point is, we have to be realistic about how often we get to see a flop, and factor that in when we decide if we have the correct implied odds to make this call.

I would probably be folding jacks here, fwiw.
    ongies gonna ong
    KK is a fold here imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    KK is a fold here imo.
    Not a chance. The 4b is coming from a guy we have 5 hands on, no way can we fold KK based on those stats.
    ongies gonna ong
    TT+/ AQs+ îs not a legitim 4b range when MP îs 3betting an UTG open. W/o info on CO you should consider a tighter range. And eveniment if the range îs good, 15x îs not enough to set mine vs TT+/AQs+.
    All posts are just my own opinion about a hand or a general situation... not advices on how you should play...
    Readless I don't think we can fold KK pre for 100bb if we had that. There's so much dead money, and the times we run into AK or he is monkeying and folds offset the AA times I'd imagine.

If we had strong reads... that's a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Z
    I'm a couple hands down and I'm tryin' to get back
    I gave the other grip, I lost a flip for five stacks