Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

I made a good check on the turn

Default I made a good check on the turn

While I MIGHT have gotten a call from the flush draw on the turn, but AJ probably would have folded. A GREAT river card came and I was able to get an extra bet from both of them.

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

Preflop: Hero is BB with , .
    UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) , , (4 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets, UTG calls, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: (3.50 BB) (3 players)
    SB bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Results in white below:
    Hero has 6d 6c (full house, sixes full of twos).
    UTG has Qd 9d (flush, ace high).
    SB has As Js (two pair, aces and twos).
    Outcome: Hero wins 9.50 BB.
    In this case, yes. But what are their ranges? At these stakes people can play anything. Half of the table is playing in this hand. So what if you were up against hands strong enough to raise the turn?

But I think most of the time the check here is good.
    Wait. Lets do the math.

You bet the turn, AJ folds and the flush draw calls. You bet the river, Flush draw calls and you make 2 big bets that aren't yours.

You check the turn, and Bet the river, AJ calls and the Flush both call, you make 2 big bets that... aren't... yours...

The way to extract more money? Betting the turn... why? Because your opponent wouldn't smell the "I have a full house line" when you bet the flop, check the turn and then bet the river again, so he may pop you back with his flush on the river. Also, AJ may have called, because he believs his overs to be good.

Checking turn here = bad.
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
    when you check the turn and raise the river you got two from each, as in 4 bets that aren't yours...

I bet the turn anyway
    fastplay is the new slowplay
    Without reads on the players we don't know who would have done what. But given the players are typical for the stakes, I would have expected any flush draw and oesd to call the turn bet. Many players with 2 overs call to the river and fold the river unimproved too. Betting the turn gives you a good chance to have the same river outcome or maybe a check, bet, raise, fold, reraise that might get you an extra 2-3 bets but would likely leave you no worse off.

Again, without reads on the players, I'd bet the turn and give yourself the chance for the extra bets.
    Turn check is bad at he's never folding a flush draw and 8, a 2, or a straight draw. Perhaps not even 55/77 and certainly not 99+.

Slowplaying in limit is really not a good idea, it's not like in NL where you could have overbet shoved this river.
    well, YOU didn't know the turn would bring an ace
    so generally if both miss the river you don't get any bets from them
    so bet the turn
    Just bet the turn. Your best play with monsters in limit is almost always to just jam as much as possible on the big streets.
    Yeah bet it. When the guy hits his flush on the river he might c/r and you can 3bet. Also overcards will often call the turn here because the board doesn't look scary and they don't like to fold at these levels.
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on." (George Bush).
    Slowplaying in limit is really not a good idea, it's not like in NL where you could have overbet shoved this river.
    yup
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!
    my bad. I'm wrong.. I didn't see tne raise. I just saw the calls.
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes