Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

preflop raising

Default preflop raising

I raise preflop about 5.33% of hands that I have played so far in limit poker. I have been hearing figures thrown around of a much higher preflop raise percent being good. Maybe upwards of 9-10%. What I can't figure out is where I could possibly be raising to get my numbers up that high. I tend to raise from any position with AA-JJ and from late position with TT and maybe even 99 sometimes. I also raise from any position with AK suited or unsuited and usually with AQ suited or unsuit. If it is folded around to me and I'm in middle or late position, I will raise with AJ, AT, KQ, or KJ. Even with what I consider to be my somewhat generous raising standards from the button, I only raise preflop about 7.6% of the time from the button. This isn't even as high as my overall percent should be from what I have been reading. I think this might be somewhat of a problem with my game and I really don't know how to improve it. Should I be raising with pretty much any hand from on the button or even one off the button if folded to me? Should I be raising hands like QJs or JTs from middle position?
    My PFR is 9.2% in ~3K hands of .5/1 and 1/2 on Party.

I pretty much PFR with anything I decide to see a flop with EXCEPT pockets <9/10, AXs, or suited connecters (my V$IP is a hair above 20% so I am not always playing those last 2).

That doesn't sound too different, although I will always PFR off suit hands like KQ/KJ/AJ no matter what the position (although I might fold them in really bad position against half-decent players to my left). I read that off-suit high cards play better against fewer opponents, so you definitly want to try to weed out suited garbage with them... not really sure if that really works with calling stations.but I read it on the innanet, so it's probably true.

Default Re: preflop raising

I like to raise...

Quote Originally Posted by Nehmer
    Should I be raising hands like QJs or JTs from middle position?
    Yup. See sticky. Don't forget KTs, QTs, A9s and A8s once we get to around MP.

TT any position. Often a 3-bet too.

AJs, ATs, KQs, KJs and QJs are all raises for me from any position in addition to your list. So that's like +1% right there.

I only raise preflop about 7.6% of the time from the button.
    How often do you get a chance to steal from the CO/Button in your game? Most good players are at around ~30%.
    Fnord, you're a LAGG!

<grin>
    Quote Originally Posted by zenbitz
    That doesn't sound too different, although I will always PFR off suit hands like KQ/KJ/AJ
    Raise KJo any position?!?!? ...and you call me a LAgg...

Oh, and muck all of those if you're facing a raise from a sane player in EP/MP. 3-bet KQ/AJ against a maniac or a raise that looks like a steal.
    How often do you get a chance to steal from the CO/Button in your game? Most good players are at around ~30%.
    30% PFR from the button??? I don't even have a VPIP of 30% from the button. Maybe that is why my $ won from the button is actually my lowest position besides the blinds and 7 off the button. I'm beginning to think that this PFR business and maybe being a bit too tight from the button is really holding back my potential profit.
    MY PFR% is at 12.48% through just over 1700 handes at .5/1 and 1/2 tables at PS. My roomie says that's because I've just been getting a lot of good hands. The hand I have seen most is AKo followed by rippys 74. Pocket Pair I have seen the most is aces, followed by Q's. So maybe it's a good run of cards that are warranting my aggressive #'s and high VPIP, I don't know.
    30% PFR from the button??? I don't even have a VPIP of 30% from the button. Maybe that is why my $ won from the button is actually my lowest position besides the blinds and 7 off the button. I'm beginning to think that this PFR business and maybe being a bit too tight from the button is really holding back my potential profit.
    Over 30% of the time I get a chance to open the pot from the button/co I'm comming in with a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyP
    MY PFR% is at 12.48% through just over 1700 handes at .5/1 and 1/2 tables at PS.
    Sounds a little LAggy to me... I was at 10.5%, then a dropped a couple spots I was raising in and got it down to around 9%.

edit: dude, filter out those short-handed hands. I think my 6 max PFR is at around 17%...
    Over 30% of the time I get a chance to open the pot from the button/co I'm comming in with a raise.
    ohhh, that makes a lot more sense. I am still quite a bit under that number though at only 18%. Guess I still have quite a bit of work to do on improving my limit game(as can be seen by the fact that my BB/100 since getting poker tracker has dropped from 2.4 all the way to .78 since November started).
    Raise KJo any position?!?!? ...and you call me a LAgg...
    No, I left out a key qualifier - IF I am going to play it, I will raise it. Just not going to limp KJo. I play it from ~MP or better, on a passive table.