Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Table makeup

Default Table makeup

What kind of table makeup do you look for when deciding to sit at or leave a table? I was thinking about this today because I was on a completely TAgg table. Every single player was running like 25/20-ish, and two guys had the same vpip as pfr. After half a dozen orbits I was up $2 but it was like pulling teeth - nobody gave any action to anybody else, it was completely boring. I figured my options were to start LAgging it up more so than I really wanted to, or find a new table... so I found a new table.

Anyway, what kinds of things do you seek out? Big pots? Overly aggressive types? Overly passive types? I realize all of them can be profitable, but if you're playing the standard FTR game, more or less, what works best as your playground?
    im not the greatest table selecter in the world, thats for sure. i have tables sorted by # of players and VPIP for the table (although stars isnt real reliable with this #). i open up tables that have 5 players with the highest VPIP at the time, which is usually over 40%. I dont care about pot size as much, but i try to have between 12+ bb/pot avg.

i give each table (usually 6-8) 3 orbits or so and if i dont have alteast one 40%+ VPIP donk 1 to 3 seats to my right then i leave.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    my dream table would be 5 players who run 50/5/1.

all of the tables can be profitable, but you have a much much smaller edge, if you even have one at all.my general rule of thumb for 200nl is if there are more than 3 regs i leave, but it just really depends on what limit you are playing. if you are playing micro stakes, you still want to avoid the tag types, not because you cant beat them, but because you can ALWAYS find a table with 4 or more really bad players that you can hopefully beat for a much greater profit.
    Cash Rules Everything Around Me.
    I first look for a 40+vpip one or two to my right.
    Then best case is nits one and two to my left.
    Okay is tag one and two to my left.
    Bad is lag one and two to my left.

If the lag starts messing around with me so that I have difficulties isolating the fish, I'm probably looking for a new table.
    I look for high VPIPs, slightly less than 100bb stacks, and names I don't recognize. Especially a name I don't recognize sitting on a 200bb+ stack. And of course donk regulars I've tagged.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    At stars 25nl you shouldn't be playing a table with more than 1 regular cause you can do better. Look for full stacked fish, maniacs to your right, nits to your left.