Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumNew Members Introduce Yourself

Trouble in the Trenches

Default Trouble in the Trenches

Hey all, my handle is Mcash2 and sometimes Irake2. Real name's Mike. Use any that you wish; I answer to all. I'm 42 and have played poker in various forms all my life. I think of myself as a writer at times, though unpublished and a total newbie to the field, and my posts can become a lengthy prose. Ignore that. I'm usually having a manic moment in those times. And I'm a wannabe poker pro always, although I know realistically a longshot.

I started playing online early 2000's in the Moneymaker boom. I did rather well playing at Stars, Fulltilt, Ultimate Bet, Party, and many smaller sites bonus whoring. I worked my way up to $200NL through strict bankroll management and empirical play. I quit playing when "free" US players were banned and Fulltilt and a shady online bank still have $400 of my earnings, that I have given up on ever recovering.

I started playing at BOL a year or so ago at the pennies and cashed out a few times. I took 6 months off to write a fantasy novel and since I came back a few months ago, with a new style and a move to 6max. I have been on a horrible downswing learining the new system and earniing my lumps at the more aggro 6max. I'm tired of being a break-even nit player and could use all the help I can get becoming the more aggressive, profitable semi-LAG/REG I've always wanted to be. Now I'm on ACR and findiing lessons hard-fought, and me a once mid-stakes player, finds myself stuggling to rise above the mere pennies. But I refuse to ever be a nit again. So any generous REG's out there willing to take on a transition player, please help, I'm all ears.
    Hi, you seem like you may stick around a while. Post some hands and people will give you feedback, visit the commune and join in some of the threads in there as that tends to be the most active part of the site these days.

Poker now compared to 10 years ago is a completely different landscape. It's not uncommon to find people who are competent poker players as low as 25nl.

I'd also suggest trying to play the most winning poker rather than falling into the trap of trying to be a certain type of player.
    Howdy and welcome!
    I'm also from the UP, fellow small towner. Where abouts you located?
    Newberry
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Hi, you seem like you may stick around a while. Post some hands and people will give you feedback, visit the commune and join in some of the threads in there as that tends to be the most active part of the site these days.

Poker now compared to 10 years ago is a completely different landscape. It's not uncommon to find people who are competent poker players as low as 25nl.

I'd also suggest trying to play the most winning poker rather than falling into the trap of trying to be a certain type of player.
    Thank you for that. But being a nit isn't most profitable player overall. A REG is on average, which is a little looser and more aggressive than a true nit. I'm didn't mean to sound as if I was changing a winning style merely because I wanted to be more in the action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcash2 View Post
    Newberry
    Cool, I'm near Marquette.