Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

100 hand session. BB bot.

Default 100 hand session. BB bot.

Slightly above average run (2%< FL) against the bot. 100 hands, mostly straight forward, but some interesting situations.

If anyone has any questions about sets or plays, I'd be happy to 'splain.

http://www.flopturnriver.com/ofc-poker/table.php?16503
    Very nice, bro. 5.5 points per hand against BBB over 100 hands is pretty damn good. I miss seeing you at the tables in Seattle these days, and I am grateful for how much you taught me about the game. You were the first one in our group to really figure it out, and all I ever did was just add little details around the edges of your grand "system."

Peace
    Thanks, miss you too. Surely you jest about the game though All I did was take you out of your safe comfort zone and convince you it was all about flexibility and aggression on the first 2 streets.
    I'll be there tonite if you will
    ej,

This is awesome, thanks for sharing the session! I set most of the first 25 hands the same way but there are some questions.

Hand 3 UTG: X / 2 2 / 9 7 3

Do you ever consider setting all 4 hearts in back in these types of spots?

Hand 9 UTG: K / 2 A / J Q

We have 3 fl cards here. Do you ever consider K Q / A 2 / J instead?

Hand 15 UTG: A / 2 / Q J 8

Do you ever consider Q / A 2 / J 8 ?

Hand 20 Dealer. After seeing the bot set X / 5 9 / T 2 6, you set as follows:
    X / 2 A 4 A / 9.

I set the same way but some might set the aces in front, what do you think about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

This is awesome, thanks for sharing the session! I set most of the first 25 hands the same way but there are some questions.

Hand 3 UTG: X / 2 2 / 9 7 3

Do you ever consider setting all 4 hearts in back in these types of spots?
    I have played a lot with EJ, and I know his thinking (and I agree) is that a pair in the mid is a big asset, and that you are still almost 75% (74.09%) to catch at least 2 more hearts. Even if you don't, there is some chance of making 9s-up, 7s-up, or trips in the back and a small 2-pair in the mid to support an FL bid. Playing the 4 hearts low does increase you chances of making the flush, but weakens the mid hand.

This is one I disagree with EJ on. UTG, I'd take your line.

This spot was discussed in an earlier thread [ http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...tg-197363.html ]. The basic idea is that the 2-gapped SF draw has enough value that putting the A up for the FL bid is the better play.

X / 2 A 4 A / 9.

I set the same way but some might set the aces in front, what do you think about that?
    With all the Ks and Qs live, I think EJ sees this as the easiest route to FL, and I'd agree. I do love AA on top though, so I wouldn't argue with AA/24/9.
    Last edited by OneByPhi; 06-04-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    Cool. Thanks for the insight, OneByPhi!
    I went through hands 26 to 50.

Hand 28 Dealer: After seeing the bot set Q / 8 6 / J 8, you set X / 7 A / T J 9.

Would you consider putting the ace in front in this spot? Maybe something like A / 7 / T J 9 ?

Hand 30 Dealer: After seeing the bot set X / 2 J / Q Q 7, you set
    X / 7 5 / 3 8 A

I'd set the same way although I don't like the fact that the villain has 2 of our clubs. What if he had 3 clubs or 4 clubs? Would you then set A / 3 5 / 7 8 instead?

Hand 31 UTG: You set X / 8 7 / J 3 J

Would you consider X / 3 7 / J J 8 ?

Hand 32 Dealer: After seeing the bot set Q / 4 8 / J 7, you set
    X / A 3 5 / T 6.

Would you consider putting the ace in front as A / 3 5 / T 6 ?

Hand 37 UTG: You split 2-pairs into X / 9 7 9 / T T.

If I have small pairs like 22-33 then I split them but lately I've been keeping them together if one is 77 or higher.

I would set this as X / 7 / T T 9 9. Are there any times you keep 2-pairs together? If so then when?

Hand 40 Dealer: After seeing the bot set Q / 5 3 / J 8, you set X / 2 3 2 / 4 A.

This is a tough one but keeping that 4 down low sure worked out for you! Would you consider putting the ace in front here?

Hand 47 UTG: You set X / 9 T / T J K

Would you consider putting the K in front and keeping the tens together as K / 9 / T T J ?

Hand 50 Dealer: After seeing the bot set Q / A 4 / 7 9, you set
    Q / K 5 K / 4.

Would you consider switching the 4 and the 5 since one of the fours is dead? In other words, would you consider Q / K 4 K / 5 ? I'm guessing you put the 4 down low because the fact that only 2 out of the first 10 cards are hearts trumps the fact that one of the fours is dead.
    I went through hands 26 to 50.

Hand 28 Dealer: After seeing the bot set Q / 8 6 / J 8, you set X / 7 A / T J 9.

Would you consider putting the ace in front in this spot? Maybe something like A / 7 / T J 9 ?
    I like your line here with one Q already dead and the bottom hand mostly fishing for straights and two 8s already gone.

X / 7 5 / 3 8 A

I'd set the same way although I don't like the fact that the villain has 2 of our clubs. What if he had 3 clubs or 4 clubs? Would you then set A / 3 5 / 7 8 instead?
    In the spot as it is, you're roughly 67% to make a flush, and have the added chance to backdoor aces-up or trips in back.
    There are 2 Qs dead, so your FL plans mostly rely on getting KK or backdooring 2 As. If opp shows 3 clubs, your chances of flushing drop to 59%, but you still have the same backdoor opportunities. Playing A / 3 5 / 7 8 has the merit of getting the A on top for an FL bid, but there are an awful lot of cards that could come on the first draw that you'll just have no good way to handle, and opp has one of your 7s.

I know EJ would say that the simplest goal is to make Js-up in the back and a smaller 2-pair in the mid and that switching the 8 and the 3 doesn't really change that, and that if you get really lucky on early draws and hit a boat or quads in the back his set allows a straight opportunity in the mid. Admittedly, your set has the same basic idea and allows both a longshot flush draw and a very unlikely-to-fill 3-gap straight draw. I wouldn't really quibble with either set.

X / A 3 5 / T 6.

I'd lean toward your set too, but I'm a sucker for AA on top and I get the idea that this set is designed to get AA in the mid and KK on top.

If I have small pairs like 22-33 then I split them but lately I've been keeping them together if one is 77 or higher.

I would set this as X / 7 / T T 9 9. Are there any times you keep 2-pairs together? If so then when?
    This spot was discussed in detail here [ http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...ne-196969.html ], and I know EJ always breaks all 2 pairs, whereas I'm mostly still playing the line discussed in that earlier post.

Hand 40 Dealer: After seeing the bot set Q / 5 3 / J 8, you set X / 2 3 2 / 4 A.

This is a tough one but keeping that 4 down low sure worked out for you! Would you consider putting the ace in front here?
    The idea here is to make 2 small pair mid and at least Aces-up in back (with the possibility of making a flush in the back if the early draws cooperate. I think I'd tend toward X / 4 3 A /2 2 to try to exploit the roughly 35% chance that you will catch at least one more 2 and to try to catch AA in the mid and KK on top as in the hand above.

Would you consider putting the K in front and keeping the tens together as K / 9 / T T J ?
    The idea here is that the gapped royal draw is a chance for a mega monster, and that even if you just make a regular flush, you can support a smaller flush or a straight in the mid.

Q / K 5 K / 4.

Would you consider switching the 4 and the 5 since one of the fours is dead? In other words, would you consider Q / K 4 K / 5 ? I'm guessing you put the 4 down low because the fact that only 2 out of the first 10 cards are hearts trumps the fact that one of the fours is dead.
    Since you're only about 45% to catch another Q, I think a case can be made for the weird-looking Q K K / 4 5 / xxx
    Thanks, OneByPhi!

I like these pineapple discussions - it is very educational getting your perspective.
    Hands 51 to 75.

Hand 54 Dealer: After seeing the bot with K / A 5 / J 7,
    you set X / 7 T / 3 8 8

This gives us straight and flush possibilities mid if we boat up on bottom.
    However, if we get a ten on the first draw it is tough.
    Would you consider X / 7 3 / T 8 8 instead such that we're not unhappy if a ten comes early?

Hand 59 UTG: T / 3 A / 7 4

Setting a non-fl card in front is more the exception than the rule. What types of situations lead to this exception?

Hand 69 UTG: X / 3 2 3 / 9 7

Sometimes I set this as X / 2 7 / 3 3 9

When do you have a single pair and it's small, what factors help you decide whether to set it mid vs bottom?

Hand 70 Dealer: After seeing A / 4 / Q K Q,
    you set A / 6 8 / 5 J

I'd like to know your thought process in setting the ace front instead of mid this time. How much of a factor was the dead ace? How much of a factor was the suited 6-8 gapper mid?

Hand 71 UTG: X / 8 T / 8 A 3

Suppose our 3 flush cards were weaker like 2, 3 and 7. In that case we'd keep the pair together in back instead of setting the flush in back, right? What other factors help you decide? What do you think about A / 3 / 8 8 T or X / A 3 / 8 8 T?

Hand 75 UTG: X / 4 T / 7 8 7

This is kind of similar to hand #31 and hand #54 but in those cases we had straight/flush upside mid if we could boat up on bottom. Here we don't have that upside mid. What do you think about X / 4 8 / T 7 7 here?
    I've played 1000s of hands with EJ and I know he wins money, but I disagree with several of his sets in this group too. I'll leave it to him to explain a few of these, but I'll offer my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Hand 54 Dealer: After seeing the bot with K / A 5 / J 7,
    you set X / 7 T / 3 8 8

This gives us straight and flush possibilities mid if we boat up on bottom.
    However, if we get a ten on the first draw it is tough.
    Would you consider X / 7 3 / T 8 8 instead such that we're not unhappy if a ten comes early?
    I think EJ's thought is that if he gets lucky early and makes a boat in back, he has straight and flush chances in the mid. However, I'd set X / 7 3 / T 8 8 too because it avoids the problems that can arise when you pair the T without tripping the 8.

Hand 59 UTG: T / 3 A / 7 4

Setting a non-fl card in front is more the exception than the rule. What types of situations lead to this exception?
    This is kind of an awkward group, but I'm not a fan of putting the T on top on the set either. I don't really love any of the possible sets, but I think A / 4 3 / T 7 and xxx/ 7 4 3 / A T are better.

Hand 69 UTG: X / 3 2 3 / 9 7

Sometimes I set this as X / 2 7 / 3 3 9

When do you have a single pair and it's small, what factors help you decide whether to set it mid vs bottom?
    These kinds of hands are problematic too. You're right that setting 3 3 9 in back is more likely to lead to quads and boats, but that 72 offsuit in the mid is awfully ugly. I know EJ's idea is that if you get lucky and catch straight cards for the bottom early, you can still support trip 3s in the mid, but throwing away the trip 3 for the mid if it comes too early is not a great tragedy if you can make 3322 or another small 2-pair there.

Hand 70 Dealer: After seeing A / 4 / Q K Q,
    you set A / 6 8 / 5 J

I'd like to know your thought process in setting the ace front instead of mid this time. How much of a factor was the dead ace? How much of a factor was the suited 6-8 gapper mid?
    First, the bot's set is just criminally bad. QQ/AK4/xxx or QQ/K4/A make way more sense. But after the bot shows you one A, one K, and two Qs, I think EJ's set is best. The best case is AA/flush or straight/flush, but he's leaving open a chance to add another FL card for the top to make AA, KK, or the much-less-likely QQ there, and 2-pair in the mid and back. Setting the A in the mid is too timid because then you not only have to catch an A there, but a pair of one of the other FL cards for the top (and 3 of those 8 cards are dead).

Hand 71 UTG: X / 8 T / 8 A 3

Suppose our 3 flush cards were weaker like 2, 3 and 7. In that case we'd keep the pair together in back instead of setting the flush in back, right? What other factors help you decide? What do you think about A / 3 / 8 8 T or X / A 3 / 8 8 T?
    EJ loves the flush/flush and there are still all 8 Ks and Qs in the deck for the top. Of the alternative sets you mention, X / A 3 / 8 8 T seems a little better beacuse it not only offers play for a flush in the mid if you get lucky in back early, but also leaves open the chance of KK or QQ/AA/2-pair.

Hand 75 UTG: X / 4 T / 7 8 7

This is kind of similar to hand #31 and hand #54 but in those cases we had straight/flush upside mid if we could boat up on bottom. Here we don't have that upside mid. What do you think about X / 4 8 / T 7 7 here?
    I'm with you on this one.
    Cool. Thanks again, Phi. I'm learning a lot in this thread!
    Last group of hands:

Hand 79 UTG: X / J J / 7 T 3

This is tricky because if things don't get flushy and we have to switch gears into 2-pair mode on bottom then we can't hit fl.

Do you consider X / 3 7 / J J T or other variations with the jacks on bottom here?

Hand 82 Dealer: After seeing K / 4 T / 2 5, you set
    3 / 8 7 / 5 9

It looks like the idea is a straight in the middle and a flush on the bottom. As such, the 3 ruins both so it goes on top. I don't think I've ever set a 3 on top. You did hit both the straight and the flush - maybe I'm missing opportunities?

Hand 86: After seeing K / 2 2 / 9 T, you set
    Q / T / 7 6 8

If you don't see the dealer's ten and nine then do you consider something like Q / 7 6 / T 8 ?

Hand 87 UTG: X / A 6 A / 3 9

I'm with you here but I'm wondering if Phi would set the aces in front instead of mid?

Hand 88 Dealer: After seeing Q / 3 A / T 4,
    you go with K / 5 9 / 8 6

This can get nasty if we get another nine and the hearts don't come. Do you consider K / 5 6 / 8 9 in these spots?

Hand 90: After seeing Q / 3 K / T 6,
    you go X / 5 J 5 / 8 7

Would you consider switching top and mid here? Something like X / 8 7 / 5 J 5?

Thanks again for posting this session, I gained a lot of perspective going through it.
    Last group of hands:

Hand 79 UTG: X / J J / 7 T 3

This is tricky because if things don't get flushy and we have to switch gears into 2-pair mode on bottom then we can't hit fl.

Do you consider X / 3 7 / J J T or other variations with the jacks on bottom here?
    I think your line is okay for the reason you mention, but the combined chance of either completing the flush or drawing a miracle pair of 3s, 7s, or Js is a bit over 80%, so EJs aggressive line certainly has its merits. Your line is safer, but his line trades a somewhat higher fouling percentage for more big-hand potential.

Hand 82 Dealer: After seeing K / 4 T / 2 5, you set
    3 / 8 7 / 5 9

It looks like the idea is a straight in the middle and a flush on the bottom. As such, the 3 ruins both so it goes on top. I don't think I've ever set a 3 on top. You did hit both the straight and the flush - maybe I'm missing opportunities?
    EJ makes some strange-looking plays sometimes, but they seem to work out fairly often. The idea here is that even needing 3 spades, with 11 live spades in the 42 unseen cards, you'll get there about 2 times out of 3 (this is one of the things that surprised me when MMM gave me an Excel tool to calcuate odds for some simple POFC problems), but even when you don't, you might make 9s-up or better in back and 8s-up or 7s-up in the mid. Still, like you, I hate that 3 on top, which takes so much of the flexibility out of your FL options. I think I'd set xxx / 8 7 3 / 5 9, but not love it.

Hand 86: After seeing K / 2 2 / 9 T, you set
    Q / T / 7 6 8

If you don't see the dealer's ten and nine then do you consider something like Q / 7 6 / T 8 ?
    This is not a pleasant spot. Opp has a T, a 9, and 2 hearts, taking a lot of the life out of various draws. I wouldn't feel good about it, but I'd set Q / 7 8 / T 6, with the basic goal of QQ/8s-up or 7s-up/Ts-up or better, but with about a 50% shot of flushing up in back.

Hand 87 UTG: X / A 6 A / 3 9

I'm with you here but I'm wondering if Phi would set the aces in front instead of mid?
    Wonder no more: given the texture of the hand, I like EJ's line here, with an eye to catching KK or QQ on top and anything that beats AA in back.

Hand 88 Dealer: After seeing Q / 3 A / T 4,
    you go with K / 5 9 / 8 6

This can get nasty if we get another nine and the hearts don't come. Do you consider K / 5 6 / 8 9 in these spots?
    See the note on Hand 82 above about the 68% flush opportunity in back, so I certainly see merit in EJ's plan, but I'd probably set K / 5 6 / 8 9 to avoid the difficulties that can arise on many of the hands when the flush doesn't get there. Notice that in best-case scenarios down this line, your straights don't interfere with each other or with the KK draw for the top if you catch KK/23456/789TJ or KK/34567/89TJQ.

Hand 90: After seeing Q / 3 K / T 6,
    you go X / 5 J 5 / 8 7

Would you consider switching top and mid here? Something like X / 8 7 / 5 J 5?
    This is yet another 2-flush with 11 live cards in the 42 left in the deck spot, and EJ tends to play a lot of them this way. Here the 87 is connected, so it's easy to switch to the straight-draw if the early draws seem to lead down that path. I get your discomfort with that J in the mid, but if either the straight or flush materializes, or you miraculously draw a pair that makes trips in back, then that J is just a fully live 2-pair out.
    Last edited by OneByPhi; 06-11-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Default Great thread!

Great stuff in this thread, guys. This is a very subtle game, but you guys are making real progress on it.
    Incredible analysis...Thanks for sharing the insight!
    ej,
    Sorry for the delay, school been kicking my ass

OBP covered hand 3 pretty well, I loathe the 4 flush if i have a pr. I think that it is even plus ev on teh set to break up 1 gap st fl draws if the odd card is a paired.

Totally considered it but I went this way because the only odd ball is the 2; the rest of the cards play with my J. The A is a heart and a royal draw. The KQJ are all my st cards and I would cannibalize them to make FL. For that reason I thought my best shot at FL was the above but now after thinking it through.. Q/K2/AhJh ?

I will play it like you suggest more often than not and 100% of the time if it is not 3 flush.

X / 2 A 4 A / 9.

Once I see the bot having no FL cards I will put the AA in the middle knowing we have 8 K's Q's /42 cards and I get to see 12.

THanks for checking out the hands
    Sorry, post took too long and the computer kicked me out and ate it. Will reanswer hands 25-the end.

Glad you enjoyed looking them over and got something out of it.

Thanks OBP for reading my mind and knowing what I am thinking, as you do

I'll check back more often and post more threads of interesting hands if you guys like. I'll do better comentary closer to the hands but I didn't think anyone was listening
    Yeah, this is great stuff.

Totally considered it but if there is only 1 fl card out in HU play I will put that A in the middle. Still 7 FL cards to come and I have to make a hand in the middle. I don't really think it is a problem either way but the 2 dead 8s were the kicker for me. As it is less likely for me to make my straight, I am going to be happy with 2 pr there. Having the A7 in the middle gives me 2 burn spots there and 1 up top. I am not saying that I am right but with every FL getting 14 cards the increased flexibility and ease of making AA in the middle sways me.

X / 7 5 / 3 8 A

For me the cut off is that 4th club. # I can live with but am not happy about. 4 I will break that draw off every time. I used to never put the FL card on the bottom to make a 3 flush, especially if the other 2 cards are connected and as a group, the 4 remaining are a coherent hand. I think the FL card up top has better value if the opponent has 1 or less but the math knows.

OBP did a really good explanation of my thoughts. I just think the 87 has a better chance of making something that lets me get to FL.

X / A 3 5 / T 6.

Similar scenario as above with A in the middle. Still only 1 FL card dead, still a hand full of junk. This is something I have been doing for a while now and am still undecided about it. I really like the AXX that make 3 to a wheel. I love the ST in the middle, and it easily breaks off into 2 pair. Admittedly when that second pair is the A it fucks me twice. Once because I might have been able to push em up top and twice because it often fouls my 2 pr bottom. So, jury is still out on my A in the middle play.

First lets start by stating the obvious... Always split a full house.
    Now on to your question... I will only keep 2 pr together when it makes sense to make that as my middle hand. As for putting a pat 2 pr in the bottom, I understand that the math says that you will make trips something like 35%, but that leaves us with a 2 pair bottom over half the time and to me that is unacceptable.

I will put them in the middle with hands like 6644X. If X is any AKQ it goes up top. A 2,3,5 it goes in the middle (unless it is the only of its suit and I am setting last), and any card 7-J goes on bottom naked.

I also abhor putting a kicker with my pair on bottom but that is another topic altogether

OBP did a good job on this one. Looking at the 2 sets side by side I just see so much more upside to my set.

Q / K 5 K / 4.

You are right on this one, it is the hearts. I had thoughts of 54 on bottom, but just don't like to box myself in like that.
    Hand 28:
    Totally considered it but if there is only 1 fl card out in HU play I will put that A in the middle. Still 7 FL cards to come and I have to make a hand in the middle.
    Are you saying the ace typically goes mid when you're in position and there are still 7 or 8 queens and kings in the deck?
    Are you saying if he shows 2 such that there are only 6 queens and kings left then the ace goes in front?