Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

advice for visiting Montreal

Default advice for visiting Montreal

I'm going to Montreal early next month for WPT. I obv plan to bust early so that I can go sight seeing

It's my first time there, so any advice on things I should do and food I should eat is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!

I have a feeling this is going to clash with your non-dairy eating I read about in the other thread, though.
    The Best Bagels!
    Smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz(although not better than Katz)
    Jean-Talon Market

Bon Appetite magazine has a small article on Montreal this month.

APDC for gluttony, I loved the duck in a can and their poutine, but best to go with a few people that can really eat. Huge and Heavy portions.
    I don't find APDC a must stop in Montreal.

Find a great restaurant that is BYOB and bring some wine. That is more of a general tip for Americans.
    Last edited by flomo; 04-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Find a great restaurant that is BYOB and bring some wine. That is more of a general tip for Americans.
    BYO restaurants aren't a thing in the States?
    Yes, BYO restaurants are a thing in the states, it is just that alcohol prices in Canada are much different than in the states.

I'm a cheapskate.
    Pussy Corps
    Canada; the country all tucked away down there...
    Smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz

^Yes this place is well known.
    Try to get to Old Montreal where the buildings are really old and its nice to look at the arcitecture. In there there are a number of shops and some nice restaurants. I went to a pretty good steakhouse there but can't remember the name. It was in the basement of a real old brick building so it was a nice touch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinland View Post
    I went to a pretty good steakhouse there but can't remember the name. It was in the basement of a real old brick building so it was a nice touch...
    Stone walls? Maybe Gibby's? It's pretty goot.

Courtie, you can channel your inner fashionista on Rue Ste. Catherine.
    Canada; the country all tucked away down there...
    Gibby's that was it!! thx benny.

Yeah go there if you like beef in steak format...
    http://donkeybrainspoker.com/2013/05...d-trip-report/ - I talked about all the food I liked eating most

I did have some smoked meat at Schwartz and it was very good. No poutine though. Someone suggested I try vegan poutine, but I just can't bring myself to do that.
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

The Polish place looks good. Polish food is my comfort food. When I come across people who say they don't like mushrooms, I lose immeasurable amounts of respect for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    The Polish place looks good. Polish food is my comfort food. When I come across people who say they don't like mushrooms, I lose immeasurable amounts of respect for them.
    I've had some amazing vegan mushroom gravy before, and I'm a man who loves his dead animal juice gravy.
    Why do tourists feel like eating a smoked meat sandwich at schwartz's is somehow a must-do event whenever one visits this city? Shit I've lived in Montreal nearly my entire life and I think I may have had smoked meat at that place once, when a bunch of sandwiches were delivered to my office at lunch. It was nothing special. Smoked meat itself is pretty fucking awesome, though I'll never understand why people think Schwartz's is the place to have your first taste.
    smoked meat is the tits.

I ordered a ceasar in montreal and the girl there didn't know what I was talking about until the term "bloody ceasar" was decided upon. better than america where you won't get traction until you go full mary.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    I've had some amazing vegan mushroom gravy before, and I'm a man who loves his dead animal juice gravy.
    I'm sure vegan gravy tastes fine, but how can vegan cheese taste good?

Quote Originally Posted by Penneywize View Post
    Why do tourists feel like eating a smoked meat sandwich at schwartz's is somehow a must-do event whenever one visits this city? Shit I've lived in Montreal nearly my entire life and I think I may have had smoked meat at that place once, when a bunch of sandwiches were delivered to my office at lunch. It was nothing special. Smoked meat itself is pretty fucking awesome, though I'll never understand why people think Schwartz's is the place to have your first taste.
    because that's where ppl tell us to go. if you had told me where to go instead of schwartz's, i would have gone there. alas, no post in this thread from you other than quoted rant :/

Quote Originally Posted by Penneywize View Post
    I think I may have had smoked meat at that place once, when a bunch of sandwiches were delivered to my office at lunch.
    Maybe that was part of the problem. What food, pizza aside, is ideal when delivered?
    Quote Originally Posted by donkbee View Post
    I'm sure vegan gravy tastes fine, but how can vegan cheese taste good?
    I don't imagine it could. I'll never endorse vegan poutine.
    if yer buying cheap fastfoody stuff (which is what I understand poutine to be, correct me if I'm wrong) like cheap pizza you're prolly getting fake cheese more often than you think

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Each year in the United States, 700 million frozen pizzas are sold, 3/4th of which contain cheese substitutes.[31]
    although I guess "contain cheese substitutes" doesn't mean that there's no real cheese involved
    Quote Originally Posted by donkbee View Post
    because that's where ppl tell us to go. if you had told me where to go instead of schwartz's, i would have gone there. alas, no post in this thread from you other than quoted rant :/
    Bleh, sorry I don't know how I missed this thread, I think i was a little too focused on reading Wufwugy's Game of Thrones episode interpretations.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    if yer buying cheap fastfoody stuff (which is what I understand poutine to be, correct me if I'm wrong) like cheap pizza you're prolly getting fake cheese more often than you think
    That's true. Pretty easy to replace cheese curds with tonsiloliths.
    Last edited by BennyLaRue; 05-21-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: GOOGLE IT, MUHFUCKA!
    I DID AND THERE WERE YUCKY PICTURES
    I kinda just threw up and I even knew what was happening.
    Because there is no Katz in Montreal.

Where should one get smoked meat in Montreal?
    Man, I'm going to be perfectly honest here. Yes, there are varying qualities of smoked meat. No, you probably won't know the fucking difference. Even the assholes who swear by schwartz's or place X or what have you would probably fucking fail the pepsi challenge in this regard.

Smoked meat is pretty much good everywhere, so long as you have some guarantee that it is fresh and well-prepared.

With that in mind, pretty much any deli or any restaurant advertising smoked meat is probably a decent gamble.
    Next thing you'll say Pussy Corps is stupid too.
    I don't ever frequent strip clubs, I think I've been to two in my life, and not once in the last six years. I wouldn't recommend Pussy Corps though because that place looks dirty as fuck.
    Next thing you'll say tires on the subway cars is stupid too.
    Yeah, it is stupid!! you see, the problem is, with the replacement cost of tires on every subway car, you're talking literally millions of ...

Ok, you got me, successful troll I guess