Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

September 2014 SSNL General Chat Thread

Red face September 2014 SSNL General Chat Thread

I am so ridiculously stoked because I'm going to put a deposit on Bovada soon and play donk stakes. You'll get to see my field research for my new eBook, "How to Really Suck at Poker," by spoonitnow.

What are you guys up to?
    what, you play poker?!
    May/June/July/August i played a total of 25k hands. Time for some volume perhaps?
    I'm about to hit a bong and watch some Bill Hicks after a +4BI session. Thanks for asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I'm about to hit a bong and watch some Bill Hicks after a +4BI session. Thanks for asking.
    but how much did you...
    any hands interesting enough to post?
    Haha I haven't played poker at all since around Black Friday and not anything worth consideration since before then. I'm going to try to get some hands in just because it's something I like soon though
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    but how much did you...
    any hands interesting enough to post?
    None that I felt like sharing at the time. Thing is, I'm 4tabling at zoom and retrieving a hand for analysis requires me to sit out of my tables and go through the replayer. Either than or analyse my session in detail afterwards, which I'm far too lazy for at low stakes, especially once I'm stoned. Though I really should post hands sometimes, because there are a few spots I find myself in where I think I could do with analysing.
    ongies gonna ong
    None that I felt like sharing at the time. Thing is, I'm 4tabling at zoom and retrieving a hand for analysis requires me to sit out of my tables and go through the replayer. Either than or analyse my session in detail afterwards, which I'm far too lazy for at low stakes, especially once I'm stoned. Though I really should post hands sometimes, because there are a few spots I find myself in where I think I could do with analysing.
    If you wanted to pick out a couple of hands to convert and PM me with any reads/notes, then we could use them for our first official round of hand history analysis like what I tested yesterday. I'm hoping to get 4-5 hands for the first batch, so like 2-3 from you would be fine.

I'm still laying in bed. I've got to take my girlfriend to work then go meet a friend to help with getting some forms filled out over some bs. Borrrrrrrrrring.
    I think if I could find a small VPIP/PFR hud at least for Bodog/Bovada I could play more. I haven't played much this summer but winter is coming and I will probably try to grind to a point that I can take a few bucks out of poker again
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    I think if I could find a small VPIP/PFR hud at least for Bodog/Bovada I could play more. I haven't played much this summer but winter is coming and I will probably try to grind to a point that I can take a few bucks out of poker again
    http://acepokersolutions.com/Bodog_Poker_Catcher.html lets you use HEM / PT
    holdem indicator
    What stake are you playing? Can't imagine you 4 tabling zoom is that profitable atm and it's not going to get you any better at poker whilst you're essentially just clicking buttons.

I basically did the same thing towards the end of last month.
    ImSavy, poker mastermind. Where are you working these days?
    Shitty admin job at an insurance brokers, living the dream.

Gonna maybe even play some poker this weekend, so will be very exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSavy View Post
    Shitty admin job at an insurance brokers, living the dream.

Gonna maybe even play some poker this weekend, so will be very exciting.
    Gettin paid

I hear you though. The work I do is exceptionally boring at times.
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 09-12-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    If you wanted to pick out a couple of hands to convert and PM me with any reads/notes, then we could use them for our first official round of hand history analysis like what I tested yesterday. I'm hoping to get 4-5 hands for the first batch, so like 2-3 from you would be fine.

I'm still laying in bed. I've got to take my girlfriend to work then go meet a friend to help with getting some forms filled out over some bs. Borrrrrrrrrring.
    Ok I'll do this in my next session, thanks.
    ongies gonna ong
    What stake are you playing? Can't imagine you 4 tabling zoom is that profitable atm and it's not going to get you any better at poker whilst you're essentially just clicking buttons.

I basically did the same thing towards the end of last month.
    Currently at 5nl, but I had to step down for a few days due to brutal variance (or playing shit). 2nl is ridiculously easy and it wasn't long before I was able to step up again. My BR has been wildly fluctuating recently, it was as low as $20 when I stepped down around the beginning of the month, and now it's around $140, with a $50 bonus fast approaching.

I realise that 4tabling is going to come at a cost... but if I'm playing winning poker, then surely I'm more than making up for that by getting a higher volume in. I'm not sure if I have the right balance though right now.

I'm also not sure I'm cut out for cash games. I think I'm better sticking with MTT's. But cash games are convenient for an hour session or whatever. I can just play, and stop when I've had enough. MTT's don't have that luxury.
    ongies gonna ong
    I doubt you are beating 5nlz for more than 2bb/100, 1k hands is $1 an hour, 6 tabling 5nl is about 500 hands an hour so 4bb/100 and I'd be amazed if you weren't doing much better than that.

So I just don't see the point of playing zoom if you're wanting to build your roll.

Saying that 5nlz is obviously beatable for more than that (like 6-8?) but if you're doing that you're going to be good enough at poker and competent enough playing high volume (4 tabling zoom is hard) that you just wouldn't be playing 5nlz. I reckon I go from beating 5nlz comfortably whilst 3 tabling to becoming pretty b/e playing 4.
    Last edited by Savy; 09-12-2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Well unfortunately I don't have any tracking software on this comp, and won't have in the near future, so I can't tell you what my winrate is. I can only tell you what my BR does.

I should point out that I had a $60 cashout in sunday's storm which I fpp'ed my way into, so my BR would be $80 if it wasn't for that.

*edited out stoned nonsense lol
    Last edited by OngBonga; 09-12-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    http://acepokersolutions.com/Bodog_Poker_Catcher.html lets you use HEM / PT
    holdem indicator
    Thanks Keith

$40 for a micro donk like me? I've never paid for this shit out of pocket. Pretty sure I payed for my original PT through stars transfer and HEM was bought via neteller or Paypal. Looks like I need to grind. I also only have HM so I would probably need to upgrade there too
    What's up this weekend? I'm alternating doing some work and watching cool stuff
    What's up this weekend? I'm alternating doing some work and watching cool stuff
    racing a half marathon that starts about 90 minutes from now.
    hope the rain holds off.
    aiming for a big pb.
    then recovery beer i guess
    Yeah fuck running for fun
    Mike Tyson's one-man show is excellent
    A hands from a small session I just played.

Hand 1

Poker Stars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

UTG ($5.98)
    MP ($5)
    CO ($11.08)
    Button ($2.57)
    Hero (SB) ($10.15)
    BB ($5)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 10, J
    UTG raises $0.15, 2 folds, Button calls $0.15, Hero calls $0.13, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.50) 6, 10, J (3 players)
    Hero checks, UTG bets $0.31, 1 fold, Hero raises $1.50, UTG calls $1.19

Turn: ($3.50) 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets $4.40, UTG calls $4.33 (All-In)

River: ($12.16) 6 (2 players, 1 all-in)

UTG is 37/29 after 80 hands, cb flop 6/9 times. Has made a few silly calls and turned 77 into a bluff for seemingly no reason and bet 3 streets w/KQs on Axx w/fd blank turn and A river.

BTN is looking to be a weaktight player 18/13 after 40 hands and not really done anything of note.

Pre I think calling here is fairly standard, can't really think of any benefits to 3betting in this spot, but feel free to correct me.

Flop I'm obviously chuffed, UTGs range isn't going to be all that strong but the board is fairly wet and I think he's cbetting plenty here and rarely folding which makes x/r the best play especially as we can hopefully the BTN to put some money into the pot with a call, don't see any point in not raising bit and charging him to chase his draws. Obviously snapping a shove, when UTG does flat I think he doesn't have any sets in his range.

Worth noting here that UTG banks and clicks call after using like 10 seconds of his time bank which makes me believe he is incredibly draw heavy in this spot, is this a bad assumption? I also think he may have the odd hands like AJ.

Turn is a pretty blank card and if he can't fold his draws on the flop why would he want to be folding them now after already calling a big bet, same for any TP type hands after no draws get there. If he can convince himself I'm bluffing on the flop, why not here too? The shove also definitely was influenced by the fact that I couldn't see any other way to go about sizing it.
    Make new threads for hand histories please (moved to http://www.flopturnriver.com/pokerfo...sb-198039.html)
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 09-13-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Yeah fuck running for fun
    yeah, for those who don't enjoy running it doesn't make much sense to go running.
    for those of us who do enjoy it, then it's nice.

Took 2minutes 30 seconds off my previous half marathon pb. Happy with that. Went out way too fast at the start and paid the price for a while, all good now. Probably run a gentle 10km recovery tomorrow cos feels great.
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    yeah, for those who don't enjoy running it doesn't make much sense to go running.
    for those of us who do enjoy it, then it's nice.

Took 2minutes 30 seconds off my previous half marathon pb. Happy with that. Went out way too fast at the start and paid the price for a while, all good now. Probably run a gentle 10km recovery tomorrow cos feels great.
    lol cool
    What are you guys up to?
    Roll withdrawn down to $200 to ease cashflow/invest after buying a house recently. No hands played online for 2 months and looking forward to re-building a roll from 5nl soon.

Nice idea for a recurring thread btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Roll withdrawn down to $200 to ease cashflow/invest after buying a house recently. No hands played online for 2 months and looking forward to re-building a roll from 5nl soon.

Although I'm pretty sure I'd recognise it if I came across it would you please pm me your SN so I can avoid any tables you're on.

Awesome man, get it
    Cashed in the WCOOP game that I won a ticket for.

Just a few weeks ago, BR was a little over $20, now it's just over $600.

I'm thinking I should stop playing cash games and concentrate on improving my MTT game.
    ongies gonna ong
    good use of $3 imo, nh

I'm thinking I should stop playing cash games and concentrate on improving my MTT game.
    lol awesome

BankItDrew syndrome imo, play 1 tourney, cash, decide to play all tourneys, hate life
    BankItDrew syndrome imo, play 1 tourney, cash, decide to play all tourneys, hate life
    lol not quite one tourney. Last weekend I cashed $60 in the storm. More to the point, throughout the years I've had much more success from MTTs. Cash games frustrate me a lot more, and without a HUD I don't feel like I'm playing nearly as optimal as I could be. I don't need a HUD for MTTs, they're pointless because most people adjust as the blinds increase and relative stacks decrease. This isn't a snap decision based on a sample of one game. This is a serious consideration that I've been thinking for some time, but lack the discipline to actually put into practise.
    ongies gonna ong
    The reason my BR was at $20 was because of cash games. I had a horrible day where downswing forced me to step down to 2nl. I thought I was gonna have to transfer my FTP roll over to stars. Fortunately I ran much better at 2nl and worked my roll back up, and since I stepped back up to 5nl I've been making a profit. But winning money at cash tables seems to be much more difficult than doing so in MTTs. I assume that's because my game is more suited to MTTs. Playing in a $215 game where the standard of poker is far superior to what I'm used to in ten dollar games, and being able to compete for 7 hours, this tells me I'm not as bad at poker as I was beginning to think. Stepping down to 2nl is a brutal slap in the face to someone who has been playing poker for many years, especially when I have enjoyed decent cashouts in the past. Why the fuck am I having to do that? Obviously I suck at cash games. I don't suck at MTTs though. That's why I'm considering playing just MTTs.
    ongies gonna ong
    Although I'm pretty sure I'd recognise it if I came across it would you please pm me your SN so I can avoid any tables you're on.
    My roll is on an ipoker skin at the moment, but I'll likely move it to Stars if there's no real difference in standard or if the software blows. If I do come to Stars then I'll probably play Zoom, but possibly throw in some reg tables. If I do, come start some tables with me and help yourself to my roll via volume-tilt/FPS.

GG. I've often thought this as my cash game success is relatively limited, mtt decisions are less complicated and the standard much worse. There's a reason why I started playing cash though and that's because the variance is horrible and energy-sapping at mtts and the time commitment too great, particularly on the big field mtts on Stars. There's no reason why you can't do both however depending on how much time you have, including playing some of the 18, 27, 45, 90 and 180 man mtts.
    Bit of a side track here, maybe it should be a new thread but since we are talking poker here I have a question I don't think I have seen broached before. Playing 6max $10NL on Bodog/Bovada. Obviously shitty players abound.

I have always played a pretty high variance game and have ran through some pretty heavy swings over the years. For arguments sake, how tight could one play at these shitty stakes and break ever vs the rake? I play usually around 25/20 but try to play tighter in the shitty games here but nowhere near "tight". Obviously tighter would be lower variance but only being able to play 4 tables I am sure there is only so low I could go before snapping. But what would be considered too tight to beat the rake at SSNL not on Stars, or even on stars.
    Bit of a side track here, maybe it should be a new thread but since we are talking poker here I have a question I don't think I have seen broached before. Playing 6max $10NL on Bodog/Bovada. Obviously shitty players abound.

I have always played a pretty high variance game and have ran through some pretty heavy swings over the years. For arguments sake, how tight could one play at these shitty stakes and break ever vs the rake? I play usually around 25/20 but try to play tighter in the shitty games here but nowhere near "tight". Obviously tighter would be lower variance but only being able to play 4 tables I am sure there is only so low I could go before snapping. But what would be considered too tight to beat the rake at SSNL not on Stars, or even on stars.
    Not sure anybody could answer this unless there's a winning nit lurking, but I should think you could win at 6-max playing 14/10 at the micros*. That's assuming you don't stack off with big pairs and tptk all the time.

I'd want to kill myself playing that tight though, but there's no doubt I can't profitably play a decent chunk of the hands I routinely play out of boredom and an overwhelming desire to pwn people.

*Source: my ass.

Something also contributing to the issue is the rake at micro stakes being effectively higher than it's probably be at any point in the history of the industry, so a lot of hands that you feel are marginally +EV in general are going to be marginally -EV instead.

This also expands to value betting post-flop. Just remember that for a value bet to be successful against a single player, they're going to take five percent (for example) of your bet AND of their call. So if you bet $2 and get called and win, you're only getting back $3.60 which is a $1.60 profit.
    My roll is on an ipoker skin at the moment, but I'll likely move it to Stars if there's no real difference in standard or if the software blows. If I do come to Stars then I'll probably play Zoom, but possibly throw in some reg tables. If I do, come start some tables with me and help yourself to my roll via volume-tilt/FPS.
    One of the guy who routinely posts on 2p2 in the beginner bankroll threads plays most of his volume on ipoker skins iirc and he's seemingly beating 50nl and I'd be surprised if he was much better than b/e at 10nl on stars. Although I've played far too much zoom so maybe 10nl reg table standard is complete ass still.

I seem to be playing 25/21ish w/7% 3b and my standard deviation is only 75bb/100 which is low. This is definitely down to some leaks in my game (it should be higher) but that's beating 2nl and 5nl so a lot more of it is down to how you play post rather than pre.

I also don't really see why you'd want to play really tight in the first place. Definitely lowering your winrate if you're playing too tight and as a result only going to have more losing sessions.
    Last edited by Savy; 09-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    What's everybody playing?

Right now, I'm playing "don't eat a bullet before I finish this shit."
    What's everybody playing?
    "
    Tricky - Maxinquaye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMKwXyntmo
    that, and some nlhe
    For arguments sake, how tight could one play at these shitty stakes and break ever vs the rake? I play usually around 25/20 but try to play tighter in the shitty games here but nowhere near "tight". Obviously tighter would be lower variance but only being able to play 4 tables I am sure there is only so low I could go before snapping. But what would be considered too tight to beat the rake at SSNL not on Stars, or even on stars.
    way tighter than you think. There are still nits beating the rake comfortably. Hand advantage will never go out of fashion.
    re the part in bold, playing the next 10k hands using a tight chart for the first three positions would probably be great for your mental game. And by tight, i mean nothing outside AQ+/88+/AJs+/KQs utg.

also, what spoon said - high rake might mean it's more important to play tighter rather than looser...
    Something also contributing to the issue is the rake at micro stakes being effectively higher than it's probably be at any point in the history of the industry, so a lot of hands that you feel are marginally +EV in general are going to be marginally -EV instead.
    Thanks Daven. That was the answer I was hoping to hear. What spoon mentioned about the marginal hands is partially my point. Mostly, I just want to stop playing such a swingy game at a stake that barely matters to me except for the fact that I haven't deposited any of my own money since 2005 and don't plan on it. I would like to at least build a small roll just putting in the hands.
    it seems i am playing again

?wut
    Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    it seems i am playing again
    Where at? How's that going?
    playing on bcp. is going k, dunno about the next 50k hands tho

?wut
    Sounds good, give em hell.

Anyone here use Winamp anymore? I'm so old. I turn 30 in a couple of months.
    I still use it to play the music I have on the computer.
    I still use it to play the music I have on the computer.
    Yeah me too lol
    i'm finally a 6-max player
    nits gonna nit
    Chick's living with me and the gf unit now. Double the sandwiches.
    Chick's living with me and the gf unit now. One and a half times the crazy.
    fyp

op threading again
    Winning at pokers atm, about 20VPP away from a nice bonus which means I've > doubled my roll since depositing and I just have absolutely no will to play. Grinding out the ~hour a day I'm doing recently is hard work.
    Yeah I hear you
    site gave me a bonus, need to earn points to clear the $$. it worked. i'm back on the horse
    lol classic
    Just remember guys: The SSNL chat threads are better than the commune randomness thread because this isn't mistaken as your tumblr.
    pt4 is fucked to hell but i deposited $130 on like sept 15th and br counter thing says $518. ~35 hours or so.

probably just gonna play league until the end of september.

?wut
    hi5

i don't think i've ever used pt4