Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

standup comedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by givememyleg View Post
    $5 comedy specials worth buying:

Louis CK, Live at the Beacon: https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/liv...beacon-theater
    Bill Burr, You People Are All the Same: Merch | The Official Website of Bill BurrThe Official Website of Bill Burr
    Joe Rogan, Live from the Tabernacle: Live From The Tabernacle | Joe Rogan

any others?
    Confirmed all of these were great.

The Aziz one is clearly a step below cos these three are awesome, but it's also easygame worth the $5.
    Tim Vine king of the one-liners.

Conjunctivitis.com – that’s a site for sore eyes

runner up, Matt Kirshen:
    I was playing chess with my friend and he said ‘Let’s make this more interesting’. So we stopped playing chess
    Funny Comedian Peter Kay One-Liners

1) I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with ‘Guess’ on it. I said Thyroid problem?’

2) When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised that The Lord doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

3) I’ve often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can’t get my wife to go swimming.

4) I was doing some decorating, so I got out my step-ladder. I don’t get on with my real ladder.

5) I went to a restaurant that serves ‘breakfast at any time’. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist View Post
    Funny Comedian Peter Kay One-Liners

1) I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with ‘Guess’ on it. I said Thyroid problem?’
    He stole this one from Married with Children.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist View Post
    5) I went to a restaurant that serves ‘breakfast at any time’. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
    Assuming his stand-up is after the movie "Swingers", he stole this line, too.
    I can't believe I missed that one, Swingers is one of my favourite movies. I was so enraged over the Married with Children steal that I guess I stopped reading the list right there.

That'd be a good way to make a standup career though. Just pull stuff from old tv shows most have forgotten or pull from small movies that many haven't seen.

Not standup comedy, but some of Doug Stanhope's internet-pedo-baits on baiting.org are pretty funny and worth a read through.

Doug Stanhope: Well at least you learned whats important. Now what do you say you fuck my 13 yr old ass!
    wertPoo9: i would love to
    wertPoo9: i just was wondering, how big are tyour tits for being 13?
    Doug Stanhope: I need it like I need a hug and a father figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiMark View Post
    Not standup comedy, but some of Doug Stanhope's internet-pedo-baits on baiting.org are pretty funny and worth a read through.

Doug Stanhope: Well at least you learned whats important. Now what do you say you fuck my 13 yr old ass!
    wertPoo9: i would love to
    wertPoo9: i just was wondering, how big are tyour tits for being 13?
    Doug Stanhope: I need it like I need a hug and a father figure.
    Dude that stuff is old. Most of those made up kids would have kids of their own by now. But old forgotten websites is another subject that probably deserves it's own thread (the crap I used to visit back in 2000 thread...)
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    blood ninja ftw?
    speaking of $5 specials, ari shaffir's "passive aggressive" is pretty f'n good too.
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    blood ninja ftw?
    ftmfw boost, ftmfw.

Screw it, I'll make the thread and see where it goes. Put on your wizard hat and robe...
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    Joe Rogan and Ari Shaffir are both rocking (separate) AMAs on reddit at the moment, although Mister Rogan is just leaving it to accumulate questions and then going to try to smash through as many as possible come the california evening.

Joe Rogan AMA

Ari Shaffir AMA
    patrice o'neal's elephant in the room is great
    al madrigal's "why is the rabbit crying" is pretty funny. Had never seen him off the daily show before, but his standup game is strong.
    hannibal buress's animal furnace is v solid
    The Time To Act Is Now...
    Jack Dee's standup has never been anything special, but I'd watch it. Tbf when he started doing it, it probably was fantastic but as I'd seen lots of similar styles before I saw him even though they came after I had already seen it done.

Lead Balloon is one of the better things I've watched on tv though.

Sean Lock is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> though. Probably my third favourite.
    +1.

Also, I just discovered last night that I have a channel called "Logo", which airs old "Comedy Central Presents" episodes. I watched an old Todd Barry set last night, which was awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerKing View Post
    Sean Lock's been one of my favorites on QI, but I've never bothered to check out his standup. Maybe I'll give her a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by NightGizmo View Post
    +1.

Also, I just discovered last night that I have a channel called "Logo", which airs old "Comedy Central Presents" episodes. I watched an old Todd Barry set last night, which was awesome.
    *Snickers immaturely under my breath*
    I get why todd barry never really got that much mainstream commercial success, but goddamnit if he isn't a funny motherfucker
    Not to sound like someone out of 2006, but I just bought this on iTunes. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I'll just pretend that I'm being ironic as an excuse to say that I was into hannibal buress before it was cool!

apple juice > racism
    I didn't know it was cool. I rescind what I said about his special, I meant it used to be v solid.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.

Last edited by oskar; 05-02-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    Not to sound like someone out of 2006, but I just bought this on iTunes. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Aaaaaand now I can't get the phrase "I hooked this Kia Sorento up!" out of my head.
    I saw a Bobcat Goldthwait stand-up routine on Netflix, that was far from perfect, but had a lot of pretty funny stories.
    So you click their picture and then you get their money?
    Don't know he's on this thread somewhere: Frankie Boyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-aWvlm9Io

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzV6fpSnkh0
    Last edited by WillburForce; 05-10-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Normski
    I saw Chappelle, Buress, Demetri Martin, Flight of the Concords, etc this weekend. Chappelle crushed it. Buress didn't disappoint, and the rest weren't bad at all. But Chappelle crushed it.
    wait, this was live? I've only heard negative things about Chapelle's recent stuff, would be awesome if he's back on top of it
    Lol, negative things? From who? All he has done in the last few years is some unannounced appearances at small clubs-- that is until now he's headlining the funnyordie.com Oddball tour. He had nearly 20,000 people laughing their ass off and got a standing ovation.

Do you have any links to negative reviews? It would be interesting to hear.
    I think it was from podcasts although tbh I might even be getting confused with Kat Williams (all hearsay about black people looks the same), also as you say it was from people who'd seen him at small clubs so probably he was just working on new material. Pumped for his new act if it gets released as a DVD or whatever now
    lol@ confusing Chapelle with Kat Williams.
    oh shit wait I was thinking of obama
    lol

I recently watched nick swardson & kyle kinane's most recent specials and found both to be quite full of lulz. I tried to watch ralphie may's latest special and didn't last 10 minutes... any ralphie may fans out there to convince me to keep trying?
    I remember thoroughly enjoying some of ralphie may's stuff, but some other of it was just race stuff that may or may not have been funny if you grew up with southern americans and mexican folk but certainly missed me.

Having said that I couldn't get through Dancing around the Shit Fire or w/e Kinane+frands recent special was called so maybe some divergence in taste here. Enjoyed his Whiskey Icarus from last year though.
    any other shows like John Oliver's New York Standup? Don't have to suffer too long if they're bad and a healthy dose of good in there etc.
    Having said that I couldn't get through Dancing around the Shit Fire or w/e Kinane+frands recent special was called so maybe some divergence in taste here. Enjoyed his Whiskey Icarus from last year though.
    Wat I didn't know he had another one, I was talking about whiskey icarus.
    finally got around to watching Bill Burr's 3 standup specials on Netflix over the past week. Great stuff.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    cant be assed going through the whole thread to see if he's been mentioned yet. but i'm currently watching jason byrne for the first time and he seems quite funny
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    cant be assed going through the whole thread to see if he's been mentioned yet. but i'm currently watching jason byrne for the first time and he seems quite funny
    upon completing the show, he actually just swears heaps and abuses the audience in his dublin accent. some good bits though
    Quote Originally Posted by bode View Post
    finally got around to watching Bill Burr's 3 standup specials on Netflix over the past week. Great stuff.
    I just recently discovered Bill Burr. He good.
    check out his podcast, its also great. i've been listening to the backlog (100+) at work and it helps to pass the time.
    eeevees are not monies yet...they are like baby monies.
    Aziz Ansari. Definitely different. A lot of his stuff is great, but i find myself getting bored and annoyed at times. there are stretches that I find myself laughing a lot.

I also love Bill Burr. The fact that he's actively trying to educate people (like how to treat a dog, etc) is amazing and still biting and funny.
    Maeve Higgins is pretty awesome, has a Irish tv show which I really enjoyed watching over the past few days is on youtube.

Normski
    Kaufman alive, or just pulling of the sickest long game prank ever? I guess, either way, the second premise is true, eh?

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/And...rts-40294.html
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Kaufman alive, or just pulling of the sickest long game prank ever? I guess, either way, the second premise is true, eh?

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/And...rts-40294.html
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...an-hoax-675432

I was hoping it was a kaufman long troll. Like in his will he left secret instructions for this troll to be executed in 2013 or something
    Saw this at the gym, with his brother presenting it at some fancy happening in a suit on a stage. The best way to honor this specific loved one would be to nurture this myth for as long as you can, methinks.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    There was an interesting episode on Marc Marons podcast with Bob Zmunda and Tony Clifton that shed some light on the weirdness.

In other news I just learned about Jesilnek's show on comedy central just after it was cancelled, and apparently immediately renewed. Marathoned through the first season, and holy shit I can see why that is one hot potatoe for comedy central.

jeselnik offensive is great, though I feel some of the later s2 panels were weaker.
    Doug Stanhope

I don't know how i haven't run across this guy before. I haven't watched a lot, but interested about others thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2noFZhLAVvU
    I like his older stuff better. His latest specials are like...too dark for even me iunno. They're still good though. stanhope is great drunk as fuck comedy.
    iunno, I liked Beer Hall Putsch a lot. As for the opinion of others: Stanhope is kind of a big deal.

Morgan Murphy has her special out now. I'd love to tell you what I think about it but there's no netflix in my country.
    Last edited by oskar; 01-29-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    recently watched Colin Quinn's "Long Story Short," which satirizes various world empires. It's pretty goddamn hilarious and brilliant at points. It's on netflix. Also on youtube in parts.

Free your mind and your ass will follow.