Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

New to FTR

Default New to FTR

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and still trying to find way around so thought id say hey and say abit about myself.

I've been playing online at pokerstars for about 4-5 years now. I only play the micro tourneys and SnGs. I only play for fun really, so while I do try to win, it doesn't bother me that I'm not a profitable player (though I would like to be). That said though, last month I decided to try abit harder and actually play to a bankroll.I ended with an ROI of 295% with $129 profit, I was ITM 27%.

This month is a whole different story though. Playing the same games as December, I am ITM 16% with an ROI of 2%. I probably haven't even made the money once in the last 20 games.

I hope that being on a site like this, I will b able to regain my form from last month with the help of some expert advice from some of you guys. I would love to be able to qualify for battle of the planets again (tried and succeeded once in '09). Sadly, that is my greatest poker achievement to date.(I came 2nd on the leaderboard but no where on the game).

Thanks for reading my long post

Mike
    Welcome, Mike.

Sounds like you'll be wanting to post hands in the Tournament Poker forum.

Other than that, I'd say you should learn as much as you can about averages and variance / standard deviation. This will help you understand your swings in the appropriate context and hopefully prevent that swinginess from tilting you.

For the record, you will receive a lot of guff if you gripe about your winrate over a sample of less than a few thousand events, and really, over 10,000 events is where you can actually put some weight on the trends you're seeing.

Unfortunately, you'll probably go broke or move up stakes before you acquire that much data... so .... just play your best... post your hands where you faced a tough choice, and work on the most obvious leaks first.
    Well as I mostly play just for fun, I don't think I really tilt too bad. Won't say never but it doesn't seem to effect me too much.

I would like to know though why I just can't get ITM lately. Does anyone else have these major bad runs? I only play 2 or sometimes 3 tables at a time (Unlike a lot of online players), but it seems like I'm doing worse now I ever have, even though its the first time I'm actually trying to win. I just can't seem to avoid bad rivers or the table idiot, who always seems to take me out. Do the slightly higher buyins have better players or are there still many idiots with enough money to waste?

I might to go back to messing around and play for fun as I seem to do better that way.
    Fancy yourself a poker player, eh? Then you're in the wrong subforum. 'round here, we just fancy ourselves.

Though, if you really want to learn how to dodge bad river cards, login through the link below to learn 3 weird tricks to binking better cards.

www.pokerstars.com/login/scammerid=?12094395293
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by a500lbgorilla View Post
    Fancy yourself a poker player, eh? Then you're in the wrong subforum. 'round here, we just fancy ourselves.
    This needs to be the commune description.
    LOL OPERATIONS
    Rilla favors the company of lumberjacks.

Also, if you can't beat bad players, then you can't beat good players.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Rilla favors the company of lumberjacks.

Good luck.
    QFT
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEovMANTON View Post
    I would like to know though why I just can't get ITM lately. Does anyone else have these major bad runs?
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    you should learn as much as you can about averages and variance / standard deviation. This will help you understand your swings in the appropriate context

I only play 2 or sometimes 3 tables at a time (Unlike a lot of online players), but it seems like I'm doing worse now I ever have, even though its the first time I'm actually trying to win. I just can't seem to avoid bad rivers or the table idiot, who always seems to take me out.
    and hopefully prevent that swinginess from tilting you.

Do the slightly higher buyins have better players or are there still many idiots with enough money to waste?

I might to go back to messing around and play for fun as I seem to do better that way.
    just play your best... post your hands where you faced a tough choice, and work on the most obvious leaks first.
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    I wont claim to be a great player as I'm deffinately still learning. I will say I think I'm better than a bad player. I think my biggest problem is making the correct bet size to get maximum value from my big hands and also, I almost always seem to pick the wrong time to bluff. Because of this, I mostly have to be winning on the river to take it down.

I will keep trying to improve my game and hopefully pick up some better spots to bluff pots.