Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!

Default Gauntlet side bet

Is there any interest for a side bet for the upcoming Gauntlet? I was thinking $350 per person, although this could be increased or decreased depending on interest.

Person that has the most points at the end of the season wins the prize pool. There could be a 2nd place prize if we get enough people.

I have two other people in so far, but I want way more participation if possible!

----

Participants paid (updated 07 October 2012)

$50
    donkbee
    simpledude16
    dneureiter
    Pascal

$20
    donkbee
    simpledude16
    OngBonga
    joker131
    Poker Orifice
    dneureiter
    baudib
    rong
    Pascal
    Last edited by donkbee; 10-07-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

blog: http://donkeybrainspoker.com/

Watch me stream $200 hyper HU and $100 Spins on Twitch!
    I'd be in for a lower buyin tier - $50 to $75
    20 bucks max for me, lol microdonk... not too bothered tho, thanks for adding cash prizes, that's enough for me to take this seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Likewise 20 is my limit.
    I'm the king of bongo, baby I'm the king of bongo bong.
    anyone else have thoughts on side bet amount? We can definitely do multiple buy-ins if there is interest.
    Why poker fucks with our heads: it's the master that beats you for bringing in the paper, then gives you a milkbone for peeing on the carpet.

this busto donk gonna be away from internet cos travelling asia for the first three or four rounds, so no sidebet for me.
    I would put in somewhere < 100$ total but 50 sounds about right. Only can move money by paypal or moneybookers, rather paypal.
    So maybe three tiers at 20, 50 and 300? The high stakers play all three, the mid stakers play the 50 and 20, and everyone in the 20?

With courtie + her two, that's $900 so far up for grabs in the top tier
    Mid would be the three above + pascal + dneureiter, meaning $250
    And low tier would be further two, so $140

Just an idea, lots of cash to play for already. And if people don't wanna scrap in the lower tier, well w/e, I'll have a private bet with dan lol, though it would obv be awesome to be competing with more.
    Last edited by OngBonga; 09-12-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    ongies gonna ong
    maybe we can make it $350, $75, and $20? or does it have to be 50 so that the people playing in the 50 tier can also bet 20?

chris, you don't wanna prop? saw you deleted your post

edit: i'm slow and i get that's what you meant, ong... although i'd rather it be 75
    Last edited by donkbee; 09-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Well obv I don't care how much the upper tiers are, and I'm not really bothered how many are in the 20 tier, there will be dan at least so even if it's just the two of us it will be fun.

I'm easy. Like every morning.
    ongies gonna ong
    I'm in for low and probably mid.
    eh sure i am game for 75 and 20 assuming i can get access to my stars acct from us. using an rsa to login to playmoney feels AWESOME.
    Quote Originally Posted by dneureiter View Post
    using an rsa to login to playmoney feels AWESOME.
    lol

So looks like we can do $350, $75, and $20 for tiers then. You can play any number of them. If there are people that wouldn't play for $75 but would play for $50, speak up soon so that we can consider changing it.

Any problems with me being escrow? We can find someone not involved if you guys want, but I assure you that I won't be running off with your money.

< my fave smiley ever
    Last edited by donkbee; 09-13-2012 at 11:12 PM.

I've no prob with you being escrow, can I just send $20 via pokerstars?
    ongies gonna ong
    I'd prefer $50 and $20 than $75 and $20 personally
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    can I just send $20 via pokerstars?
    yup, that would be perfect. If you don't know my SN, PM me.

For these side bets, please send me PokerStars if possible. If you absolutely can't do PokerStars, let me know and we can make alternate arrangements.

If there are Americans that want to participate, then I guess we can do PayPal. I will prob have to find another escrow, though, because sending to me will cause fees. And then I'd have to figure out how to get funds to this other escrow without incurring fees if an American wins

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    are there others who agree with this? I don't really care which we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    ditto
    Okay let's make it $350, $50, and $20. I'll accept money on just PokerStars for now and if you need another way to get me money, let me know. If you don't know my SN on PokerStars, please PM me. My avatar is a red bob-omb from Mario, btw

Gauntlet starts on October 7, so the deadline to get the money to me is October 6th. When you've transferred me funds, please either PM me or post in this thread. Send anytime starting now.

It looks like it's gonna be winner-take-all since we don't really have the interest to support a 2nd place prize, but maybe this will change. I'll let you know if I start getting more transfers than expected. It would be nice to be able to pay 2nd place their buy-in, at least.

I wanted to play all of em, figured it would be great, but I will be working for at least SOME of those sundays, and will be too heavily grinding other sites/deep in other stuff for some more of the sundays, so I wouldnt be able to play 8/10 which would put me at too big of a disadvantage, since I believe every score adds up, its not like just your top 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by soupie
    That is the beauty of poker, it doesnt matter how they play, you can always devise the perfect defense and counterpunch hard.
    I received $20 from OngBonga on PokerStars today.

I'll be updating the people that have paid me in the first post so that it's easy to see who is participating.

Is stars the only way to buy into the side bet?
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Put hero on a goddamn range part II- The 6max years

Quote Originally Posted by d0zer View Post
    start using your brain more and vagina less

Quote Originally Posted by kingnat View Post
    Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    How would you like to transfer funds?

Quote Originally Posted by donkbee View Post
    How would you like to transfer funds?
    Now there's a girl who knows dead money when she sees it!

I don't know. Paypal or GDMP I guess? Very little experience transferring funds electronically. Bank transfer easier?

I guess whatever is easiest for you.
    “Right thoughts produce right actions and right actions produce work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all”

Members who's signature is a humorous quote about his/herself made by someone who is considered a notable member of the FTR community to give themselves a sense of belonging.
    I think Paypal takes fees - not sure though as I don't use it too much? If donkbee's Paypal is in $ too then I don't think it'll be more than a couple of % which I'm OK with but if it's in CAD$ then could lose like 7 or 8% each transfer
    Yeah, honestly if it's a big pain in the ass then it's really not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by supa View Post
    I guess whatever is easiest for you.
    Easiest for me is a poker site. PokerStars is the best but I could possibly make arrangements for Party, Ongame, iPoker, and 888.

I'm keeping in mind the fact that if accept on somewhere that isn't PokerStars, I have to be able to pay out that way too. If I accept most of the transfers on PokerStars but then the winner transferred to me via PayPal, it's a huge inconvenience (and then, like Pascal said, there's fees).

If you are American, though, and have no way to transfer via poker sites, I will probably make an exception. If there are Americans considering opting into the bet, please let me know ASAP so that I can figure out what to do.

Don't worry about it courtie. I'd be happy to join the 20 and 50 brackets but not if it isn't easy to put together. I'm happy playing this for the fun and really am aiming for the 3rd place T-shirt.

If you are American, though, and have no way to transfer via poker sites, I will probably make an exception. If there are Americans considering opting into the bet, please let me know ASAP so that I can figure out what to do.
    Hey courtie do you have Moneybookers? Else i can only do paypal.
    I can't think of any way to dodge fees. Really, all I can suggest is that if people want to pay by paypal, they're gonna have to send enough to cover fees, and if they win, they're gonna lose some % of prize due to return fees. If people can take that hit, well I don't see a problem.

How do pp fees work? Is it the receiver who pays?
    ongies gonna ong
    https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

apparently it can be free. Otherwise eating 3% is fine by me.
    "Outside the US:Small fee of 0.5% to 2% (depends on destination) when fully funded with bank account or PayPal balance. 3.4% to 3.9% if paying with a credit or debit card."

plus any currency conversion fees.
    If I accept most of the transfers on PokerStars but then the winner transferred to me via PayPal, it's a huge inconvenience
    Yeah of course, I missed this first time around. Fees are not the main issue. You Yanks are so awkward.
    ongies gonna ong
    i wanna play the gauntlet only so i can setup another pie prop =(
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I can't think of any way to dodge fees. Really, all I can suggest is that if people want to pay by paypal, they're gonna have to send enough to cover fees, and if they win, they're gonna lose some % of prize due to return fees. If people can take that hit, well I don't see a problem.
    For anyone that wants to pay with Paypal, this is probably how we'll have to do it. I'll take care of getting funds into my Paypal account as long as you're fine with the fees. If you're sending to me in USD, there will be no additional conversion fees.

Hey courtie do you have Moneybookers?
    Yes as long as you're okay with the 1% fee. I think the max fee is like $0.65, so it's not like you'll take a huge loss. Moneybookers is probably a way better option than Paypal.

Edit October 1: looks like I was wrong about Moneybookers fees. They are greater than 1%
    Last edited by donkbee; 10-01-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bikes View Post
    i wanna play the gauntlet only so i can setup another pie prop =(
    do it do it do it

is donkey thorne playing?
    im up for $20 in the gauntlet wiull transfer on p stars
    $20 transfered on poker stars for gauntlet side bet.........donkbee
    Quote Originally Posted by joker131 View Post
    $20 transfered on poker stars for gauntlet side bet.........donkbee
    I got it. Thanks!

I'll ship money tomorrow
    Sent 70$ just now on Moneybookers. One week!
    Sent 70$ just now on Moneybookers. One week!
    Because of the fees, you're short $1.12. I only received $68.88.

Edit: I have you down as paid for $50. You can send me the difference for the $20 portion, or I can send it back. If you decide to send me the difference, please make sure you include the fee (which was 1.6% for the $70 you sent... not sure exactly how they calculate it).
    Last edited by donkbee; 10-01-2012 at 06:37 PM.

I received $20 from Poker Orifice. Thanks!

Because of the fees, you're short $1.12. I only received $68.88.

Edit: I have you down as paid for $50. You can send me the difference for the $20 portion, or I can send it back. If you decide to send me the difference, please make sure you include the fee (which was 1.6% for the $70 you sent... not sure exactly how they calculate it).
    Meh lame they charged me fees so I figured I covered them all. Ill send u another 2$
    Gonna bow out of the sidebet. Sounds like a giant pain in the ass and I simply don't have the time. Thanks tho Courtie.

Meh lame they charged me fees so I figured I covered them all. Ill send u another 2$
    I got it, thanks. I received a total of $71.33 from you, so I sent $1.33 back (they took 1 cent as a fee on my end... not sure if there's another fee for you to receive it).

Quote Originally Posted by supa View Post
    Gonna bow out of the sidebet. Sounds like a giant pain in the ass and I simply don't have the time. Thanks tho Courtie.
    Moneybookers/Paypal/everything other than PokerStars is definitely a giant pain in the ass. Would deal with it if you change your mind, though
    Last edited by donkbee; 10-02-2012 at 01:05 AM.

I received $20 from Poker Orifice. Thanks!
    hey no prob. Thanks for holding onto it for me. Always glad to donate!
    Put me in for $20...let me know where to send. Don't have money on Stars so will have to be paypal....
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by baudib View Post
    Put me in for $20...let me know where to send. Don't have money on Stars so will have to be paypal....
    Are you okay with Paypal fees? There would also be fees when I send back to you if you win. If you are fine with this, send me a PM.

I think there are no fees if you mark it as a gift.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    Coutie, can you pm me your stars screen name so I can transfer you 20.

Thanks
    Today is the last day to get me money for the sidebet. Your PM requesting my SN must be sent before 11:59 pm EST tonight to be considered in. And then your money must be sent to me by tomorrow before the first game starts.

The $50 sidebet is gonna be winner-take-all. I want to award a 2nd place prize for the $20 bet and I think I am going to make it $40 (right now the 1st prize would be $100 if 2nd place is $40). If you guys would prefer a smaller 2nd prize or a winner-take-all, I'll consider feedback posted before tomorrow's game.

Also, dthorne04 has decided to not be included, which means we're scrapping the $350 bet since two people bet is kinda lame. simpledude16 and I decided to make the loser run 18 laps around at track and go up/down 100 stairs instead. Which is much worse than losing $350 considering that I'm pretty out of shape when it comes to cardio

If there are any questions or if I have missed anyone's money transfer, please post in this thread or send me a PM ASAP. I'll try to be online tonight to finalize things. Thanks!

Will transfer later today.
    Pascal is gonna send tomorrow, so here are the current prize pools:

$50 buy-in
    1st place - $150
    2nd place - $50

$20 buy-in
    1st place - $110
    2nd place - $50
    3rd place - $20

I decided to pay 3 players in the $20 buy-in. Feedback on this welcome until the end of the day. At first I made the payouts approx like a 9m SnG ($100, $50, $30), but I like it more top heavy.

Edit: Also making 2nd place prize for $50 buy-in. This way if one of us runs away with 1st place early on, there is still somewhat of a sweat for 2nd place. Will just keep it more interesting. If you guys have a problem with this, though, let me know.
    Last edited by donkbee; 10-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Not to pressure anyone,but if i do get the chance to play with all of you here at FTR in the Gauntlet i can send my $70 via paypal as well.
    If not,i wish you all gl in these games and series.
    Paid