Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

99 in a crunch

Default 99 in a crunch

Villain 19/5 over 81 hands

I wanted to call but my gut wouldn't let me, as I had been the shorty up until about 3 hands ago.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 2.2 Tournament, 600/1200 Blinds 125 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) (t28227)
    SB (t30148)
    BB (t40304)
    UTG (t62155)
    UTG+1 (t49391)
    MP1 (t15598)
    MP2 (t30048)
    MP3 (t63749)
    CO (t13481)

Hero's M: 9.65

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9, 9
    2 folds, MP1 bets t15473 (All-In), 6 folds

Total pot: t4125
    so, what are you guys thinking? Silly fold? and while this is ITM, i don't think it is an ICM thing I can plug into sngwiz, is it?

"Gotta run well eventually."
    pokerstove.com
    derp
    but I have to put him on a range, don't I? Do i just put 99 verses 5%?

There is 1200+600+125*9 = 2925 of dead money in the pot. We need to call 15473 to win a total of 33871, meaning we need 45.7% equity to call. As for your stats, are those 81 hands all with him having just over 5M? Are you sure that over that 81-hand sample he wasn't just card dead for a while with maybe a few suited hands or low pairs that he limped in with? It's pretty hard to put him on a range, but let's try. If he's making a profitable short stack shove, then he could be shoving the range:

22+ A7s+ A5s-A4s ATo+ K9s+ KJo+ Q9s+ QJo J9s+ T9s

99 obviously needs to shove it in if this is the case, as we are a favorite (56%) with dead money in the pot. But maybe Villain isn't good enough to shove this wide, and is only shoving with like A8+, KJ+, and JJ-77 (I don't expect many villains to just shove QQ+ here). In this case we are still 56%. Let's assume he shoves all pairs 66+ along with a slightly tighter range of AT+, KQ. We are still slightly over 50%. Take out KQ, 77, and 66, and we're right at the cutoff point between shoving it in and folding, and we can fold since someone in the blinds could wake up with a hand.

So do you think Villain is shoving only the hands 88+,AT+ in this spot? Is he even shoving QQ+? If you were Villain and looked down at 77, what are you doing with it? What about KQs, or A9s? What about AA or KK?

I think that regardless of his stats (which are pretty much useless in this case since I can run like 10/8 over a tourney but then shove 17% of hands in Villain's spot), we have to get it in here with 99 against a 13BB stack.
    i guess I should follow my gut.

You can use ICM. Just make sure your on cEV mode and it will calculate it for you. And yeah I think its a good fold. NH!

Edit: Not ICM, I meant SnGwiz
    Quote Originally Posted by Im_new
    i guess I should follow my gut.
    Always go with your gut. All cliche sayings aside, I agree with doan you are slightly ahead of his range and should put your stack in.
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvingiris
    You can use ICM. Just make sure your on cEV mode and it will calculate it for you. And yeah I think its a good fold. NH!

Edit: Not ICM, I meant SnGwiz

wait... you're vouching for my fold?
    I'm pretty sure SNGWIZ uses ICM
    Yeah it does but when using cEV mode its not applying prize money to your stack. It basically just becomes an odds calculator vs ranges (i think).

Yeah I am saying the fold is fine. This player is a nit who only raises 5% of the 19% of hands he plays. I bet if you played 19 more hands with this player his stats would stay the same. This is 99 against 5% of hands:

Hand 0: 35.878% { 99 }
    Hand 1: 64.122% { 99+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Since you need to win 46% of the time I think its a clear fold. Basically this is an opinion question that is asking "Do you think villain is too nitty to make this call". The above range was just thrown together by defaults below is what I would probably put villain on.

Hand 0: 43.011% { 99 }
    Hand 1: 56.989% { TT+, 9h9s, 88-77, AJs+, AKo }

Its closer but I still think its a fold.
    Just because the HUD is saying he's raised 5% doesn't mean thats what his range is. I'm assuming OP's 81 hand sample is from Level 1 on. His opening range Level 1 150BB's deep is likely completely different from his shoving range with 13BB's when antes are in play

Also, I think typical players are going to open to 2.5-3xbb when they have KK+ on this stack. 99 is still a flip if his range is 88-QQ, AJ+
    No I know it doesn't mean hes raising top 5%. But I highly doubt a nit's 13bb early position shove includes KQs, J7o, A4s, etc.

I also agree about the KK+ thing but I don't think you can discount it fully.
    I don't think we should be assuming he'd simply make a x3 raise with KK and AA, and not push.

I'd be very suspicious if someone with 13bb and in 8th pos out of 9 made a standard raise in an MTT with six people to act after (4 with position on him). To me, that looks like he wants action. He should be treating hands like AA and KK exactly the same as 9Ts, 66, AQ... push or fold. His range is wide, and he knows it, so why not make it look like a steal?

We don't have all the required info here, though. Are we in the money already? How steep are the prizes if we're in the money?

I think 99 is the right fold, though. It seems close, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, since he's not shipping every other hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by tugger
    I don't think we should be assuming he'd simply make a x3 raise with KK and AA, and not push.

I'd be very suspicious if someone with 13bb and in 8th pos out of 9 made a standard raise in an MTT with six people to act after (4 with position on him). To me, that looks like he wants action. He should be treating hands like AA and KK exactly the same as 9Ts, 66, AQ... push or fold. His range is wide, and he knows it, so why not make it look like a steal?

We don't have all the required info here, though. Are we in the money already? How steep are the prizes if we're in the money?

I think 99 is the right fold, though. It seems close, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, since he's not shipping every other hand.

Yes, we were in the money. I believe there were about 200-300 players still around. And I'm not sure how to describe the "steepness" of the reward structure... I think we started with about 4400 players.
    The "steepness" of prizes is the difference between 9th and 8th, and then 8th and 7th etc. It's relevant simply because, if the prize structure is steep (ie large difference) it becomes more in our interests to make tight folds, hoping the shorts bust out before us.

For example, if prize for 9th is $1000, and 8th is $1100, then we can gamble, but if 9th is $1000, and 8th is $2000, then we should play uber tight.
    The "steepness" of prizes is the difference between 9th and 8th, and then 8th and 7th etc. It's relevant simply because, if the prize structure is steep (ie large difference) it becomes more in our interests to make tight folds, hoping the shorts bust out before us.

For example, if prize for 9th is $1000, and 8th is $1100, then we can gamble, but if 9th is $1000, and 8th is $2000, then we should play uber tight.
    I understand what steepness means lol. I just did not know how to describe it outright. That's why I gave the number of entries into the tournament. Here was the FT payout percentages:

I don't know how relatively steep this payout structure is. Do you get what I'm saying?
    I'm with you...

It seems like an average payout structure, but without knowing the actual payouts, it still doesn't help too much.

But, it doesn't matter from where I'm sitting, it's a fold for me whatever the prizes, we don't need to be racing just yet.
    It seems like an average payout structure, but without knowing the actual payouts, it still doesn't help too much.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by drmcboy
    LOL
    Well, it doesn't, does it?

Shall I explain?

If the prize for 9th is $78, and 8th $120, that's a difference of $42.

If the prize for 9th is $780, and 8th $1200, that a difference of $420.

Personally, this would affect my play.

Don't just say "lol".

Explain yourself.
    Is the 2.2 thing the buy in? Better would be $2.20, then it looks like moeny, not just a random number.
    it makes no difference to what the right play is, although it may affect your play. Since that seems a really bizarre way to approach an answer to a forum question, I was caused to laugh audibly. In addition you asked about the steepness, got your answer and then did not want it.
    it makes no difference to what the right play is, although it may affect your play. Since that seems a really bizarre way to approach an answer to a forum question, I was caused to laugh audibly. In addition you asked about the steepness, got your answer and then did not want it.
    It's not that important. But, I only got half the answer.

I don't care though, I fold regardless.

However, for more money, I play tighter. Don't you?
    you got the whole answer, once you have the %s you can make the pool any number you want it to be.

You should only alter your play based on payout volume if it's a significant increase in your roll. But you are probably playing incorrectly in that case, (hopefully) sacrificing profit now for profit later. Have I done it? Yes. Should you advise people to play that way since you would? of course not.
    Have I done it? Yes. Should you advise people to play that way since you would? of course not.
    Yes, point taken.
    Easy call.
    Sprayed rocking the simple syllables
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvingiris
    Sprayed rocking the simple syllables
    lol, but he disagree with ya.
    Its a matter of opinion with this hand. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to play it.
    With 10M stack, you should be looking for spots to chip up. This is one of those. His range is not 5%. I would not throw KK+ in his range because he would not shove those hands. Here is the conservative range that I would give him 66-QQ, ATo+, A8s+, KQo, KQs. Also, keep in mind that if you call here and lose, you're not dead. You'll still have 12629.
    "His range is not 5%. I would not throw KK+ in his range because he would not shove those hands."

I'd be shoving with KK+ here. Raising with this stack to x3 or x4 is transparant. I'd be much more likely to call a short stack's all in with 99 than call a x4 raise from the same short stack with the same hand.

Having said that, the reason I fold is because we've just got back in to it, and we don't need to be racing. It seems pretty 50-50 to me. Sure, he might have 88-, but two overs seem most likely.
    I'd be shoving with KK+ here.
    I rather prefer AA+ at these spots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremophile
    I'd be shoving with KK+ here.
    I rather prefer AA+ at these spots.
    I'm with you.
    Is everyone keeping into consideration that this is a big ole donkament? I feel that if we were playing against some big ole pros who study this game in and out, who knows all about EV, P/F, and stack sizes that we can consider things like 'it would be transparent if he only 3x with his stack size if he held KK+' more accurately. By saying things like that, we assume that our opponents are knowledgeable and that he is capable of high order thinking skills.

With that said, will be play this hand differently at a $100+9?

Is everyone keeping into consideration that this is a big ole donkament?
    My bankroll is lurking between $100 and $150 (can't seem to get any higher) at any given time, which means I have no choice but to play these donkaments. I refuse point blank to top my bankroll up, I earned what I have through freerolls and a $10 present off my brother. That's it. So even if I blow my bankroll, it cost me nothing.

I *try* to rise above the donk plays that everyone else is making, I figure if I'm playing good, tight poker, then in theory I should be able to walk thorugh these tourneys, unless I'm card dead. Of course, it doesn't work out like this, I usually get my AQ busted by AT to bust out, or something similar. But the point I'm trying to make is, I try not to lower myself to their standards.

Would a donk fold 99 to an all in here? Probably not. I don't want to be that donk. Now, don't get me wrong, I call this if I have to, but we don't have to here.

Now, I'm probably leaving myself wide open to ridicule here, but if I'm playing a table of donks, I TIGHTEN my range in this spot! I'd rather try to outplay the donks after the flop, rather than get into a race pre flop with them. I'm patient enough to wait for a better spot. JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ, maybe TT. These are the hands I call here, unless I have a real good read on the player.

And, it should be added, 99 is one of my least favourite hands. I think I lose money overall with this hand, which is why I'm so keen to muck the fucker. So perhaps my opinion is biased.

"By saying things like that, we assume that our opponents are knowledgeable and that he is capable of high order thinking skills. "

Heh, I take this as a compliment!
    At a $109 I think this is an automatic fistpump shove because its more likely that villain is shoving a correct range, or maybe even a range looser than optimal
    Quote Originally Posted by fjuanl
    At a $109 I think this is an automatic fistpump shove because its more likely that villain is shoving a correct range, or maybe even a range looser than optimal
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    My bankroll is lurking between $100 and $150 (can't seem to get any higher) at any given time, which means I have no choice but to play these donkaments. I refuse point blank to top my bankroll up, I earned what I have through freerolls and a $10 present off my brother. That's it. So even if I blow my bankroll, it cost me nothing.

I *try* to rise above the donk plays that everyone else is making, I figure if I'm playing good, tight poker, then in theory I should be able to walk thorugh these tourneys, unless I'm card dead. Of course, it doesn't work out like this, I usually get my AQ busted by AT to bust out, or something similar. But the point I'm trying to make is, I try not to lower myself to their standards.

Would a donk fold 99 to an all in here? Probably not. I don't want to be that donk. Now, don't get me wrong, I call this if I have to, but we don't have to here.

Now, I'm probably leaving myself wide open to ridicule here, but if I'm playing a table of donks, I TIGHTEN my range in this spot! I'd rather try to outplay the donks after the flop, rather than get into a race pre flop with them. I'm patient enough to wait for a better spot. JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ, maybe TT. These are the hands I call here, unless I have a real good read on the player.

And, it should be added, 99 is one of my least favourite hands. I think I lose money overall with this hand, which is why I'm so keen to muck the fucker. So perhaps my opinion is biased.

"By saying things like that, we assume that our opponents are knowledgeable and that he is capable of high order thinking skills. "

...way to ramble. lol

I am well rolled for these (I have 4.5k from cash tables). I would play higher stakes but I'm not comfy with tournaments just yet. The whole argument from before about bankroll affecting the "correct" play has no affect on me. I choose to play what is optimal each and every time in these tournaments.

I think you're losing with 99 because you're pretty close-minded about how poker should be played overall. People around here all know that I will hold my ground and bicker a bit about a stance I take, but sometimes, you just have to listen to the pros.
    "His range is not 5%. I would not throw KK+ in his range because he would not shove those hands."

I'd be shoving with KK+ here. Raising with this stack to x3 or x4 is transparant. I'd be much more likely to call a short stack's all in with 99 than call a x4 raise from the same short stack with the same hand.

Having said that, the reason I fold is because we've just got back in to it, and we don't need to be racing. It seems pretty 50-50 to me. Sure, he might have 88-, but two overs seem most likely.
    You're not "that into it". You have a 10M stack. Hardly a maneuverable stack. Besides, he's not making a 4x raise. The big blind is 1200 and he's shoving a stack of ~15000. That's only 12bbs. Also, at this level, don't be concerned about transparency. Lastly, don't think about how you would play their hand.

Are you calling me a donk? I guess if the shoe fits right? Since your tournabments are filled with donks, that is even more of an incintive to call with 99 in this spot. You are smoking their range. It sounds like you're waiting for the best hands in poker and then blinding out. You need to work on getting it in good against their range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprayed
    Are you calling me a donk? :D I guess if the shoe fits right? Since your tournabments are filled with donks, that is even more of an incintive to call with 99 in this spot. You are smoking their range. It sounds like you're waiting for the best hands in poker and then blinding out. You need to work on getting it in good against their range.
    Am I calling you a donk? Ha! No, but a donk doesn't fold this. I'm not saying anyone who calls it is therefore a donk. If you're calling it based on range and maths, then you're not a donk. If you just see two nines, and don't care what the others have, and don't care about maths, then you're a donk!

I don't sit and wait for the best hands, but when it comes to a shove, I'm obviously going to tighten my range. 99 is just one of those awkward hands for me.

But, I think you guys are right. My game is nowhere near good enough yet to be making the right decisions with hands like this. It's easy if I have QQ, anyone can play automatic poker. I'm trying to be better than the donks, but obviously I'm not there yet! So I guess that makes me a donk! But, at the very least, I'm trying to drag myself out of the rut...
    Are you calling me a donk? I guess if the shoe fits right? Since your tournabments are filled with donks, that is even more of an incintive to call with 99 in this spot. You are smoking their range. It sounds like you're waiting for the best hands in poker and then blinding out. You need to work on getting it in good against their range.
    Am I calling you a donk? Ha! No, but a donk doesn't fold this. I'm not saying anyone who calls it is therefore a donk. If you're calling it based on range and maths, then you're not a donk. If you just see two nines, and don't care what the others have, and don't care about maths, then you're a donk!

I don't sit and wait for the best hands, but when it comes to a shove, I'm obviously going to tighten my range. 99 is just one of those awkward hands for me.

But, I think you guys are right. My game is nowhere near good enough yet to be making the right decisions with hands like this. It's easy if I have QQ, anyone can play automatic poker. I'm trying to be better than the donks, but obviously I'm not there yet! So I guess that makes me a donk! But, at the very least, I'm trying to drag myself out of the rut...
    One other thing, if you are having a hard time debating if TT is a call in this spot, you need to do some serious studying on hand ranges and equity. Get pokerstove and you will see that even 88 might be a call in this spot against various ranges. Get rid of the notion that there are better spots and take every +EV play that you can.
    Get pokerstove and you will see that even 88 might be a call in this spot against various ranges. Get rid of the notion that there are better spots and take every +EV play that you can.
    I have a question. How the fuck do you guys enter hand ranges into pokerstove when you're playing a hand online? It's all very well assessing the hand afterwards, but I am not quick enough to put him on a range, enter it into stove, and make my play, in the time we have.

And what do you do when you're playing face to face? It's all head maths then, boys!
    You do it beforehand for common spots like these that come up all the time so that when you're in this spot, you're ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoanDiggy
    You do it beforehand for common spots like these that come up all the time so that when you're in this spot, you're ready.
    Fair enough. So it's study, study and more study, right?

I can fairly quickly estimate if a decision is + or - ev, but it's not going to be accurate. I let implied odds do the rest.

Having said that, I will spend time assessing these kind of hands, because it's these I seem to be having problems with.
    The only reason I think this could be a fold is because villain has a very tight raise % and he does have room to fold. Most donks don't fully understand the 10BB rule. So, basically I am saying I doubt he is shoving to preserve his stacks FE. Which is all the 10bb rule is.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoanDiggy
    Fair enough. So it's study, study and more study, right?

I can fairly quickly estimate if a decision is + or - ev, but it's not going to be accurate. I let implied odds do the rest.

Having said that, I will spend time assessing these kind of hands, because it's these I seem to be having problems with.
    You need to study. You don't make calculations at the table. Implied odds will primarily help you to make post flop decisions when stacks are deep enough. In tournaments, you are faced with more shallow stack decisions. Therefore, knowing when to call all ins or when to shove when short is very important.
    You need to study. You don't make calculations at the table. Implied odds will primarily help you to make post flop decisions when stacks are deep enough. In tournaments, you are faced with more shallow stack decisions. Therefore, knowing when to call all ins or when to shove when short is very important.
    I know I have to study. I am studying when I can. I'm trying to get better.

But, I will say, I'd have estimated this at about 50-50, and looking at what others have posted, I'd be right. For all in pre flop, implied odds clearly don't exist, so I have to make a decision pretty quickly based on whether I think it's + or - ev. I'd fold 99, because I'm not sure enough it's +ev. TT I think I call here, because it probably is, and JJ+ is obviously not something I'm going to think too long and hard about.

Here's two hands in a row from the freeroll at Pokerstars today...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

CO (t1365)
    Button (t1350)
    SB (t1545)
    BB (t1365)
    Hero (UTG) (t2220)
    UTG+1 (t1365)
    MP1 (t1255)
    MP2 (t1365)
    MP3 (t1670)

Hero's M: 49.33

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, A
    Hero bets t120, 6 folds, SB calls t105, 1 fold

Flop: (t270) 3, 2, 5 (2 players)
    SB checks, Hero bets t150, SB calls t150

Turn: (t570) 9 (2 players)
    SB bets t210, Hero folds

Total pot: t570

Results:
    SB didn't show
    Outcome: SB won t570

Next hand...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

MP3 (t1365)
    CO (t1350)
    Button (t1845)
    SB (t1335)
    Hero (BB) (t1950)
    UTG (t1365)
    UTG+1 (t1255)
    MP1 (t1365)
    MP2 (t1670)

Hero's M: 43.33

Preflop: Hero is BB with 10, 10
    6 folds, Button bets t120, 1 fold, Hero raises to t420, Button raises to t1845 (All-In), Hero calls t1425

Flop: (t3705) 7, Q, 10 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t3705) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t3705) 3 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t3705

Results:
    Button had J, A (high card, Ace).
    Hero had 10, 10 (three of a kind, tens).
    Outcome: Hero won t3705

The tens... was this the right move, or was it tilt, after being forced off AKs? Am I right to reraise someone I suspect of being a lunatic? Or best to flat here?

Basically, am I playing like an idiot?
    I should add we were three handed, 6 people were sitting out. It was rather annoying, why the hell do people join if they aren't going to play? It just makes the prizes smaller for the rest.
    Hint: your decisions need to be based on stack sizes and ranges. Results don't matter.
    Hint: your decisions need to be based on stack sizes and ranges. Results don't matter.
    Well, when he raised on the button, his range for me was very wide. 22+, A2s+, A5o, A7o+, 67s, 78s, 89s, 9Ts, TJ+

When he reraised all in, his range tightened. 77+, ATs+ KJ+

I figured, as an estimate, that calling TT was, a +ev decision.

I've tried entering all in in stove, but it seems to be playing up, it suggests the first range is simply 22+, which of course is not the case, but it's clear to me TT is beating this first range by miles.

The second range, well, this will be closer, but with the money invested, it's very likely to be a +ev call, so I called. I figured either he had a smaller pair and he was crushed, or two overs and it was a flip, and pot odds tells me that a flip a call.

I am trying to apply range and stack size into my game, but stove isn't really helping me.
    +1
    +1
    Another useful post. See above.