Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Donk moves thread

Default Donk moves thread

#1. The donk bet. When a player bets into a raiser from the previous street. It's usually done by a player who doesn't understand that the raiser is representing a strong hand. This applies mostly to heads-up because in a multiway pot it is sometimes correct to bet out. This is how it goes:

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 handed) Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, T.
    Hero raises, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 3, A, 5 (3 players)
    BB bets, Hero raises, BB folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB

But sometimes it's a legitimate hand, but the player didn't choose to check/raise with it. It is still useful to know that players do this quite often with nothing or a draw.

#2. The double check/raise. First the player check/raises you on the flop, you call and improve on the turn. Then he checks the turn for some reason. You bet and he raises! This is usually a player who doesn't understand the reason to use the check/raise play. His mistake is not leading the turn. This is also often air or a draw because if he did have a strong hand he'd be worried that his check/raise would scare you into not betting the next round of betting.

Any other donk plays that you know that let you take pots away from fish? Or alternatively get away from hands you'd otherwise call with?
    My favorite Donk Move at a loose passive table is to call from EP with AXs or KXs Then if I flop two cards of my suit, I love to donk out in order to build the pot. If my draw gets any stronger on the turn IE turn a straight draw or pair one of my cards, I'll donk again. Love, love, love it!
    The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes
    The classic, which burns me often enough as it works best against tag players, is to call a pfr from the left of the raiser, call with anything if the flop is rags, raise the turn (if it is still rags), and bet the river when the tag who's lost his nerve checks to you because his overs have missed.

It can backfire, of course, but I've had to let a lot of pots go when my AQ missed, and I've taken a few the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by arborman
    The classic, which burns me often enough as it works best against tag players, is to call a pfr from the left of the raiser, call with anything if the flop is rags, raise the turn (if it is still rags), and bet the river when the tag who's lost his nerve checks to you because his overs have missed.

It can backfire, of course, but I've had to let a lot of pots go when my AQ missed, and I've taken a few the same way.
    I'm still calling you down in 6max with ace-high
    Quote Originally Posted by iopq

At 6max A-hi is da nutz against the aggros! i call down their bluffs every time
    Quote Originally Posted by iopq

Maybe - I don't play 6 max except in SNGs (where everything is different), so I believe you.
    fnord will tell you he doesnt really fold any HU pot. and, it tilts the other guy real hard. so much so, he tells them, "i dont fold HU." and, they get more pissed.

however, my favorite donk move is to NEVER bet/raise...ever. run a 0 AF. oh and run 80/2/0. that'll bring in the cash. you'll catch every bluff, but never make shit. i love those guys.

of course, they are extinct beyond 25/50c. hmmmm...wonder why?
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!