Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

In Canada, it's only illegal to criticize Islam

Default In Canada, it's only illegal to criticize Islam

If you hold any religious belief though, I can say whatever the fuck I want about it without fear of repercussions.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mps-vote-a...185005280.html

"Liberals rejected an attempt by Saskatchewan Conservative MP David Anderson to remove the word "Islamophobia​" from the motion and change the wording to "condemn all forms of systemic racism, religious intolerance and discrimination of Muslims, Jews, Christians, Sikhs, Hindus and other religious communities."
    For those who skip the link I encourage you to open so you can check out the priceless look on the white chicks face, if nothing else. A picture says 1000 words.
    This is a "non-binding motion," not a law.

What are the repercussions you mention?
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    This is a "non-binding motion," not a law.

What are the repercussions you mention?
    None are outlined specifically.

The ambiquity of the motion is what gets us.

It appears any criticism of islam can be considered hate speech, which is illegal. If that is the direction the motion is headed. What is next?
    I'll agree that it appears that way when a prosecution happens over some speech case in which an identical case involving another group (besides Muslims) garners no prosecution.

Like if one day a guy goes out and starts yelling, "I hate all the Jews," and there's no repercussions, but the next day, the same guy goes out and starts yelling, "I hate all the Muslims," and he's prosecuted, then that'll be a clear signal to me that your apprehension is well placed.

(Anything which clearly indicates there is a bias in what is prosecutable as free speech would count. Not just a stupidly simple example like I outlined.)

Until then, it seems like you're scared of something hypothetical.
    You can tell who has power over you by whom you are not allowed to criticize.
    I'll agree that it appears that way when a prosecution happens over some speech case in which an identical case involving another group (besides Muslims) garners no prosecution.

Like if one day a guy goes out and starts yelling, "I hate all the Jews," and there's no repercussions, but the next day, the same guy goes out and starts yelling, "I hate all the Muslims," and he's prosecuted, then that'll be a clear signal to me that your apprehension is well placed.

(Anything which clearly indicates there is a bias in what is prosecutable as free speech would count. Not just a stupidly simple example like I outlined.)

Until then, it seems like you're scared of something hypothetical.
    I think it would also be wrong for somebody to be prosecuted for such speech in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I think it would also be wrong for somebody to be prosecuted for such speech in general.
    Yes. I agree.

I don't see hate speech as presenting a "clear and present danger" in the way that yelling "Fire!" in a crowded building (when there is no fire) poses a threat.

... but I'm not a Canadian, and my opinion on free speech isn't relevant to this issue.

I've made no statements in support or against the Canadian motion, only M2M's comments thereon.
    Besides, it's very probable that one other thing is illegal aside from insulting Islam.

In Canada, that is. Can't speak for any of these other wingnut governments.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
    In Canada, it's only illegal if you don't apologize.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    You can tell who has power over you by whom you are not allowed to criticize.
    Truer words could not be spoken.
    In Canada, it's only illegal if you don't apologize.
    This man understands Canada.