Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

Rivered trips 200bb deep and he bet/3bets!

Default Rivered trips 200bb deep and he bet/3bets!

Villain's name is appropriate, LAGGish and able to put moves preflop. We've been quite active this session, and we've exchanged a few buyins recently. My hand looks exactly like what it is, right? If I expect him to know that, im not sure if that makes it more of a call or a fold. I don't think he took more than 2-3 seconds to shove.

$5/$10 No Limit Holdem
    6 players
    Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
    UTG Ole2804 ($807.75)
    UTG+1 Hero ($1968.50)
    CO jonlundy ($1000.00)
    BTN DarkChaos ($1102.00)
    SB JackP ($834.00)
    BB loosegoos ($2079.00)

Pre-flop: ($15, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1
    1 fold, Hero raises to $30, 3 folds, loosegoos calls $20

Flop: ($65, 2 players)
    loosegoos checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($65, 2 players)
    loosegoos bets $44, Hero calls $44

River: ($153, 2 players)
    loosegoos bets $110, Hero raises to $350, loosegoos raises to $2005, $1544.5 to Hero ($1544.5)?
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

Can offer RB deals on most sites, PM me.
    His line makes perfect sense with all the hands that beat you. The fact that his turn and river bets are smallish makes me a bit suspicious though.

I think the river raise is a slight mistake since he is representing a missed flop c/r and his range is very strong, albeit polarized. I think you should usually only raise here (against a LAGGish player) if you are either intending to call a shove or have a very easy fold if he shoves. Against an ABC player this is a very easy raise/fold ofc.

I have personally never been too succesful in calling river 3-bets with bluffcatchers so I can't call this myself, but then again I wouldn't raise either.

Take a look at the hand I posted in the HU forum yesterday. It has some of the same dynamics as here (river 3-bet).
    Agree with zangief, you can't call and there's very little value in raising this river.
    man its tempting to call and u probably should be if ur raising river.. so u shouldnt raise river not close

also, u should bet the flop almost certainly
    I got more flava than fruitstripe gum
    Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    man its tempting to call and u probably should be if ur raising river.. so u shouldnt raise river not close

also, u should bet the flop almost certainly
    You like betting this flop b/c checking basically turns our hand face up? Doesn't that open us up to a lot of check raises, and how would we proceed?

fwiw villain showed 88 in this hand. I usually raise QT here on river b/c I expect people to call with Kx and stuff and they also arent good enough to turn 88 into a bluff this deep.
    Nine to five is how to survive - I ain't trying to survive / I'm trying to live it to the limit and love it a lot //

So you called or he showed after you folded?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    i folded and he showed

pwned!

sry dude, sick play by opp
    Quote Originally Posted by zook
    pwned!

sry dude, sick play by opp
    It's definitely a sick play. He must have a pretty big read on you that you're capable of big folds or something.. cause he KNOWS he's trying to get you off at worst trip Q's when he bombs.

I feel gross when I bluff bomb tryin to get ppl off weak aces even!
    reasons to check a flop as the PFR with a med strength made hand

1) balance times we check behind/give up
    2) induce a bluff
    3) avoid a c/r
    4) keep pot smaller (basically 3)
    5) misrepresent our hand (basically 2)

I dont think any of these applies enough to make it better than bet/folding

2) induce a bluff
    3) avoid a c/r

all these reasons you give are great, and i dont see any decent reason not to. we're not in a good spot if we want to continue to a c/r, and we're not getting much value from worse. i dont see how this isn't the perfect spot for checking.

unless we're cbetting 100% we need to check behind with hands that can take heat. what better hand than the type that doesnt play well vs a raise and doesnt get much value from worse yet still has value? do you like cbetting 100% why is b/f so good?

2) induce a bluff
    3) avoid a c/r

When would be a good time for this? TPTK with monotone boards against an aggressive Op with position?
    LOL OPERATIONS
    well it depends on alex's range for opening and his opponent's range for defending:: if both r reasonably tight (as i am in EP) then i think its probably better just to bet/fold a hand like QT against most players

generally spots where im often checking back are btn/CO opens to BB/SB defends or HU btn opens where my opponent's range is stronger than mine on almost all flop textures