Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

How to play this?

Default How to play this?

This hand was from our bar league weekly tourney. Blinds were at 100/200, ready to go up to 200/400 in just a few minutes. I had only 2500 left. We needed to lose another dozen or so players to make the points. But it was the last week of our 8 week series, and I felt I needed to play for first or second that night to make the regional playoffs, or I would miss out. No real reads on the players, but I will say they are generally pretty donkish and loose.

One early position player limped. I looked down at JT of clubs and limped also. The player to my left had 1000 chips left and went all in. Two more players also called the raise, as well as the first limper. So now the pot is around 4500 and it's 800 to me to call.

Now, I play a lot of cash games online, but these weeklies are practically the only tourneys I play. In full ring I would jump into this pot, but is it right in this tournament situation? Or would it be better to wait for a better spot. It was hard for me to pass up that large pot, even though it would cost me nearly half my chips to see a flop.

I called, and the hand played out pretty strangely. Flop came KQ2 rainbow, but it was checked all the way around. It mainly missed me too, though I picked up a straight draw and a back door flush draw. Turn brought another club, so now I had a great draw, but no side pot. In cash, I would maybe bet the flop and almost surely the turn, but it was checked around and I checked it again too. (Any reason to bet here?) River didn't help anyone, including me, and amazingly it was checked down by all these loose players. The winning hand was the all in player, who turned up A2o to take it down with a pair of deuces.

So my question for experienced tourney players is how should I have played this hand?
    Sue me if I play too long....
    push or fold pre. I fold.
    http://chardrian.blogspot.com
    come check out my training videos at pokerpwnage.com
    Preflop with 13BB's with blinds about to go up you have to either shove on the limper or just fold. Limping is really terrible here.
    Online winnings since august '05 $345k+
    Live tournament winnings since Jan '06 $330k+
    Online final tables: 100+
    Check out my training videos at:
    www.pokerpwnage.com
    easy fold pre, shove if you can open

as played, you shove the flop because you may win the pot with a J or T heads up but not 4 way. If you don't want to flop an OESD it's even more reason to fold pre.