Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFull Ring NL Hold'em

Large 3-way pot - draw to nut flush

Default Large 3-way pot - draw to nut flush

This was an exciting hand from earlier today:

I have little information on either villain in this case. I put at least one on a set, if not both on a set. Is my call of the large raises ok? As it ended up I had basically 1/3 odds to hit my flush which is pretty much exactly my odds of hitting the flush by the river. How's my play here?

** Game ID 1127452838 starting - 2007-01-06 17:55:32
    ** Lisette [Hold 'em] (0.10|0.20 No Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

- Scrimmage sitting in seat 1 with $19.50
    - Lillpelle sitting in seat 2 with $22.89
    - Heidy_k sitting in seat 3 with $30.85
    - ykii sitting in seat 4 with $19.80
    - commandante sitting in seat 5 with $13.00
    - jonsalgerier sitting in seat 6 with $19.70
    - dors19 sitting in seat 7 with $33.34
    - jabbofix sitting in seat 8 with $18.70 [Dealer]
    - jacckbob sitting in seat 9 with $9.40
    - Zei7ei sitting in seat 10 with $14.60

jacckbob posted the small blind - $0.10
    Zei7ei posted the big blind - $0.20
    ** Dealing card to Scrimmage: Queen of Diamonds, Ace of Diamonds
    Scrimmage raised - $0.80
    Lillpelle folded
    Heidy_k folded
    ykii folded
    commandante folded
    jonsalgerier called - $0.80
    dors19 called - $0.80
    jabbofix folded
    jacckbob folded
    Zei7ei folded

** Dealing the flop: 8 of Diamonds, 5 of Spades, Jack of Diamonds
    Scrimmage bet - $1.00
    jonsalgerier called - $1.00
    dors19 raised - $5.13
    Scrimmage called - $5.13
    jonsalgerier raised - $9.26
    dors19 raised - $24.28
    Scrimmage went all-in - $13.57
    jonsalgerier went all-in - $9.64
    As played, I would have folded to the first raise. I wouldn't call the re-raise at all. I would have given up the hand to the first raise. What hands do you put the other 2 players? You are getting a lot of action on the flop. This is a sign of trouble. You are not getting the proper pot odds to call. What was the result?
    Result was I had nut flush and took the full pot. The other two had JJJ and 555. Before showdown I figured at least one for a set, another for maybe QQ-AA, maybe AJ.

On my original call of the first flop reraise, I felt that with roughly 2:1 odds (pot of 9.53 call for 4.13) that I had the implied odds to call as both villains were full stacked. Is this a mistake?

On the second call (all in) I was still getting about 2:1. Odds of hitting flush by the river are slightly less than 2:1. I think my possible mistake was, as you said, calling the initial reraise, calling the all in imo was a given once the over two were all in, or am I wrong about that?
    You got it backwards. If you were going to call the initial raise, you should have moved all-in. Otherwise fold. It makes no sense to call a raise, a re-raise and then an all-in reraise. It would be better if you moved all-in instead of calling a raise. This will allow you the possibility of eliminating another player from the pot. The action shown by the players indicates a set. I would have folded to the reraise and be done.
    man, did you get lucky.

i say, "nh," and curse you under my breath. i will note you as an "aggro chaser," and forever smash your drawing odds on drawing boards, while refusing to pay you off after the draw "hits."

they each still had 10 out redraws on the turn to hit the river, also. man, did you get lucky.

"nh, sir." lol.

dont take offense, as i have done the same thing before...just not often.
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!
    i dont think check calling is horrible here, but a lame $1 bet into this pot without thinking about 3betting all in over a raise from behind is a little weak. Your bet was weak because you had nothing, no because you wanted to bet/3bet all in with what you expected to be 15odd live outs.
    There are soooo many lines to take, but if two players get all in i dont think we can fold a nut flush draw.

I still thin ka c/c line is best becuase of your position. Getting raised behind sucks if you make a 3/4 pot size continuation as your commited or folding, whereas a check call gives your opponent a chance to make his favourite mistake: pricing you in to stack him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erudito
    You got it backwards. If you were going to call the initial raise, you should have moved all-in. Otherwise fold. It makes no sense to call a raise, a re-raise and then an all-in reraise. It would be better if you moved all-in instead of calling a raise. This will allow you the possibility of eliminating another player from the pot. The action shown by the players indicates a set. I would have folded to the reraise and be done.

you have a nut draw, you want more people in the pot
    your flop play is weak as hell-it should have been a $2 bet then reraise all in to the raise or a fold if raiser is a nit
    My bankroll is the amount of money I would spend or lose before I got a job. It is calculated by adding my net worth to whatever I can borrow.