Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

Live tourney preflop spot with JJ.

Default Live tourney preflop spot with JJ.

Basically a hand from the tourney I busted out from tonight. Be good to hear some opinions from anyone who knows a thing or two about live tournaments.

Here's the situation. Blinds are 400/800 with a 100 ante. There's like 12 minutes left in the level and the next level is 600/1200 (100). I have 9200, UTG has me covered, MP1 has just been crippled and has like 900 left.

I'm dealt JJ in the CO. UTG opens to 2400, MP1 sticks the 900 in. UTG is a tight player who's built a stack early but done next to nothing in the last 2 hours or so. His opening range is likely very tight here. I'd say like TT+ AK for sure and then we'll see 99/AQ some amount of the time. I don't know how often. I defo don't expect to see anything worse than this. I have a decent image, I'd expect him to fold stuff like 99/AQ a good amount vs a jam and maybe call with TT, defo call with JJ+ AK.

I have plenty FE ahead of me so have options in late position in the future. There's also a guy to my right who's been limp calling jams with loads of shit including 56o b vs b and seems reckless and retarded - good double up options here.

Blinds are getting huge though in a few hands time they'll be threatening loads of my stack and I'm short of time to wait for better spots with these 20 minutes levels. Jam or fold spot basically. I don't love this spot, i expect to have like 40% vs his getting it in range at best, and I think I get folds fairly rarely. The question is though, do i have to accept this is likely my best opportunity and jam? Top 5 get paid fwiw, we have like 21 remaining.

Thoughts?
    I'd shove unless UTG was like a 60-year-old total nit, I don't see how you could get away from this.

1. UTG has likely been card-dead, so it could be, "Well ATs/77 is the best hand I've seen for two hours."

2. If he's as tight as you say and your shove is a huge percentage of his stack you probably have more FE than you should. I've seen people make absurd plays like raise-folding AK/QQ on 12 BBs.
    Last edited by baudib; 08-08-2011 at 06:35 AM.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    I don't understand. You say that his range is TT+, AK, and MAYBE 99 or AQ. This seems like a pretty easy fold with JJ. He's not going to fold any of those hands, so you are rarely way ahead, way behind alot, and flipping the rest of the time.

However, as baudib suggests, if you expand his range to something a little more realistic, then it's an easy call.
    if his range is TT+/AK and he never folds we have pretty much exactly the right price to play.
    Playing big pots at small stakes.
    i'll add here my thoughts/comments i posted on this hand a few hours ago in carroters' blog for the sake of forum stimulation and discussion all of that positive stuff:

i don't have a ton of live tourney experience, but i'm jamming here. closer to the bubble with potential for busting (which this situation has, as UTG has us covered) i may find a fold, but given there are still ~16 bustos which need to occur, and 20 minute levels probably doesn't translate to very many hands in a live tourney, i'm happy to get it in with what is likely damn close to a flip (with antes and 1bb stack AI juicing the pot a bit) to win a pot which could potentially see me through to the final table barring any complete spew or coolers. also, i think "40% at most" is a conservative estimate of our equity when called. i doubt this guy is capable of folding any of TT+,AK (against which we are 42%) 10bb deep, and it may go wider than that. and if he is ONLY calling with say JJ+ and 8 of 16 combos of AK, then we likely have like 30-40% fold equity because he is surely not open folding 88,99,TT or AQ UTG. then again, there are potentially influential factors which only having played the tournament myself could determine for this decision, ie if the players to my left were basically auto-fold nits who were folding their blinds 90% of the time each to minraises, maybe i'd pass on the JJ all-in, content to steal blinds to keep my stack afloat.

despite attempting to justify why i think it's a shove, i'm still not an MTT player, or even a decent cash-game player. so it may be prudent to disregard the content of this post.

edit: my estimate of what the average stack would be would at the time of this hand being played would also influence the decision. the higher the average stack in comparison to hero's - the more happy i am to stick it in and "gamble" with JJ. and the lower the average stack in comparison to hero's obviously has the inverse implication. though that's pretty intuitive.
    Always jam readless, how good really is your read on the guy? I like going allin lots so I can just never fold here and calling seems.. meh

An option although a weird one is to flat and this creates a fairly dry sidepot of 3k with a mainpot of over 3k and then villain should be forced to play his hand faceup postlop which he probably does anyways if he's an uncreative nit. If our read is good enough and board comes like 9 or T hi and he bets we can prolly fold. Imo we are missing value when we take this line though.

how big is ep openers stack? Can he just calloff 77, AJ-AT type hands because he can afford to lose and is getting a good price and will not be left crippled?
    imo no chance he opens that tight and also will never fold AK. one or the other is wrong so jam. the vast majority of nits play LHE at NLHE tables and so overvalue pairs, you are probably not putting near enough pairs in his range.
    Got to gamble here minus some sick read. Too many chips out and not much play left.