Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

KK from the button capped 5 ways

Default KK from the button capped 5 ways

The BB's all-out aggression scared me away and put me into call down mode. I have a note for him that says "draw to OESD-watch out for turn/river raises/reraises." I had him on AA, KK, QQ, or AQ.

Since only two of those beats me, do I just fire away on the turn, or did I do tthe right thing be just calling down?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)

Preflop: Hero is Button with , .
    3 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, CO calls, Hero raises, SB calls, BB 3-bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero caps, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (23 SB) , , (5 players)
    SB checks, BB bets, MP1 folds, CO folds, Hero raises, SB calls, BB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (19 BB) (3 players)
    SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

River: (26 BB) (2 players)
    BB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB

Results in white below:
    BB has Qs Ac (one pair, queens).
    Hero has Kc Kd (one pair, kings).
    Outcome: Hero wins 28 BB.
    If you put the player on one of the hands that beats you then why call at all...if you don't give him respect for one of the hands that can beat you..then why no raise, a raise gives youo the opportunity to take it down right there, and or increase your winning s at show down. based on your statment at the beginning of the thread I see no logic in the call down. in your spot I would have been raising it up but then thats me and im a rookie so take it for what it is worth, which is probably nothing. lol
    Spartan Curse : "May you live FOREVER"
    Pop, re-pop, re-re-pop.

You are NOT allowed to look for guys in masks, hiding in the bushes in LHE!
    "We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing!" -Doyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorianoctem
    If you put the player on one of the hands that beats you then why call at all...if you don't give him respect for one of the hands that can beat you..then why no raise, a raise gives youo the opportunity to take it down right there, and or increase your winning s at show down. based on your statment at the beginning of the thread I see no logic in the call down. in your spot I would have been raising it up but then thats me and im a rookie so take it for what it is worth, which is probably nothing. lol
    on your first point, he put him on a range that he beat the majority of, so he thinks he's ahead more than 50%

and if he has one of the hands you have beat you don't want to take the pot down right there, you want to get more bets
    if he has one of the hands that you don't have beat you don't want to put in more bets into the pot

all of those hands bet the river and won't fold to a raise
    but the hands that beat him 3-bet the river, while the hands that don't are probably content to call

so you have to be good two thirds of the time on the river in order to make a profit with a river raise
    it's only a good raise if he would 3-bet with AQ on the river too
    Quote Originally Posted by iopq
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorianoctem
    on your first point, he put him on a range that he beat the majority of, so he thinks he's ahead more than 50%

and if he has one of the hands you have beat you don't want to take the pot down right there, you want to get more bets
    if he has one of the hands that you don't have beat you don't want to put in more bets into the pot

all of those hands bet the river and won't fold to a raise
    but the hands that beat him 3-bet the river, while the hands that don't are probably content to call

so you have to be good two thirds of the time on the river in order to make a profit with a river raise
    it's only a good raise if he would 3-bet with AQ on the river too
    Well said.
    I dont mind the river call at all. Once he 3bets the turn, the possibility of a set is really big, so...
    i prolly chicken out where you did. and i prolly put him on a set since no 2pr hands make sense in a capped pot pre and his aggression really is repping a big hand here.

but, i also adjust your range a bit, too. i include 99+,AJs+,AQo+,KQs and a small assortment of things that are substantially worse since he did the 3betting (and we are at 25/50c). he could be trying to make a big pot with a great multiway hand that will play itself oop or just trying to isolate you and scare the others...and he could just be stupid.

bottom line is you are 60+% over the range you picked on the flop (i am 70%), and nothing really changes from there on. you know he will play draws fast, so there IS a bluffy aspect to his game. i think you go with that and keep jamming.

i think you probably have to raise and call a 3bet...i just cant do it, personally.
    LHE is a game where your skill keeps you breakeven until you hit your rush of random BS.

Nothing beats flopping quads while dropping a duece!
    There's no draws on the flop for him to be betting aggressively though. Given the preflop and flop action, you're usually looking at QQ+/AQ. TT/JJ or KQ if he has maniac tendencies. When he leads into us on the turn again after our flop cap, we're really hoping he has KQ/AQ and should probably just call down from there.

However, after this hand we realize that he overplays tptk type hands (against a preflop capper even), then it's right to raise the turn and call down as you did.
    Some days it feels like I've been standing forever, waiting for the bank teller to return so I can cash in all these Sklansky Bucks.