Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumTournament Poker

Nerves of steal.. I held up, but did I deserve the pot?

Default Nerves of steal.. I held up, but did I deserve the pot?

Been playing for about 1.5 hours, 1$ mtt, down to last 40, top 27 get paid was 150 to start with.

SB I noticed was trying to steel blinds, playing fairly aggressive post flop - I went toe to toe with him post flop, nearly bailed out but made a descision to see it through in the end... what do you think?
    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG (t2970)
    Hero (t11510)
    MP1 (t2950)
    MP2 (t5900)
    CO (t17120)
    Button (t1680)
    SB (t14098)
    BB (t3365)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K, 7.
    1 fold, Hero raises to t800, 4 folds, SB calls t600, 1 fold.

Flop: (t2400) Q, 6, T (2 players)
    SB bets t1600, Hero raises to t5000, SB calls t3400.

Turn: (t12400) Q (2 players)
    SB bets t2800, Hero raises to t5660, SB folds.

Final Pot: t18000

Results in white below:
    No showdown. Hero wins t18000.
    nice value bet
    I would fold preflop, fold the flop, and I'm not sure what I would do on the turn because I don't usually put myself in spots where I only have half pot left in my stack after donking the hand up horribly
    hmm yeah It felt right at the time, and it is an 'mtt' so I guess I can have a licence to be a little more aggressive.. but looking back that was a make or break hand for me..

I deposited 16$ earlier today (I get paid in 2 weeks and will be starting my $300 br then) I was down to my last 1$ which I put in this, ETP qualifier. So I've made the final tomorrow now, and also there are 18 of us left atm, and I'm 4th hopefully I'll make some money too !

Default Re: Nerves of steal.. I held up, but did I deserve the pot?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySlevin
    SB I noticed was trying to steel blinds, playing fairly aggressive post flop
    my theory: SB noticed you play total garbage UTG etc, so was playing agressively back at you, but didn't want to end his tournament life in the end because you could have any damn thing so he folded this hand. Prolly made most of his stack off you in earlier hands so it evens out.
    No I wasn't playing garbage actually on the whole and against him this hand wasn't garbage either his range was so wide, and he was raising everything , and no one had made many chips off me I was fairly tight this exception aside. Thanks for the comments though I do appreciate them, I need to read up on final table play and push/shove when the blinds and antes are high - I'm sure If my game was more rounded I'd have finished higher but I'm very happy with an 11 fold return on entry and a place in the final tomorrow, it looks like a very good final about 6k in prizes plus an etp package, and there's only about 500 of us in it. It's the first final table in a tournament of that size I've made so I'm pleased. I need to learn more about final table play wasn't sure when to push fold when the ante were high with the blinds, and most people pushing all in every second hand. Much fun though =)
    Oh i see now.

Nice value bet then.
    well if i'm honest and from dean and cats comments .. I know in the far recesses of my conscience it was the wrong call and I got lucky. -.^ hmm... kind of takes the icing off the cake of reaching the final table though ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckySlevin
    I deposited 16$ earlier today (I get paid in 2 weeks and will be starting my $300 br then) I was down to my last 1$ which I put in this, ETP qualifier. So I've made the final tomorrow now, and also there are 18 of us left atm, and I'm 4th hopefully I'll make some money too !
    How... dude...

Please, don't put $300 down... Depositing $16 and being down to a single dollar in ONE DAY is crazy, that's 95% of your bankroll gone in a day! Unless of course, you were playing just for entertainment value, and expected to lose your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcatdog
    I would fold preflop, fold the flop, and I'm not sure what I would do on the turn because I don't usually put myself in spots where I only have half pot left in my stack after donking the hand up horribly
    +1....seriously wtf...when you were dealt that hand what was your first thought? Very Curious....horrible hand...not trying to be a dick but ive read your other thread on getting a good start on your "poker career" and just tryinh to be of help.....
    way to early of a position to raise it up wid crap like k7, if you were in the last 1 or 2 positions it wouldnt be to bad. Then you can just make a half pot c bet and hope to take it down. Playing agro is all good if used appropiately but in this case thats just not so.The part of this hand that really strikes me as crazy was your turn raise, you have barely any chips left, almost no fold equity and you shove it in, thats just plain bad, the dudes gonna call you with soooo much, even his non pair hands that are still just draws, im quite shocked that he folded with the odds he was getting, u just got lucky that he had total air. Keep up the agression but just try to use it in a better spot next time.
    "This sure beats Super Mario Bros.!" is my ejaculation catch phrase.
    I agree with others. Raising is awful to begin with, but the min raise makes it worse.
    im probably one of the most aggro people when it comes to stealing but this is just a terrible attempt at a steal that cant really be justified.

i really do love the fact that you had heart to keep pumpin the pot, but in reality you should never have been in the spot to begin with..

also, learn the correct forms of the word steal/steel
    Roco415.