Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

a specific situation with a set. what to do?

Default a specific situation with a set. what to do?

I always like to play sets fast (especially on coordinated boards or 2 flush boards). definitely like to raise in position on 2 flush boards (to represent the flush draw) because the TPTK holder usually bets on the nonflush turn and can raise him again. But what do you do if its a bet and a raise to you ?

here is a situation that comes up time to time. What is the best course of action here?

I flop a set in late position on a 2 suited board (meaning 4 to a flush could be out there).

early bets, middle raises (meaning one guy has four flush , other has TPTK), I smooth call, Early 3 bets, Middle calls....hero ??

Lets assume other than early, middle and hero, there are 1-3 other players.

This happened twice yesterday at $8-$16 hawaiian gardens. I ended up capping the flop both times. My logic was that 3-5 people have already called 3 bets on flop, lets have them put 1 more bet right here right now, before some scary turn card freezes all action.

my question is

IS IT BETTER

* to cap the flop right there and take control of the hand and lead the turn (its almost 100% likely to be checked to you on the turn regardless of what falls because smoothcalling then capping is giving a strong hand away !!)

* or wait for a non flush completing turn, and one of the guys will bet and you pop the turn and probably trap some other callers with 2 BB.

What would you do?

sorry if the question is too general or vague.
    I say pump it. Even if a flush card comes it may not be good and you still have outs and I want to build the pot with my monster.

Check out my videos at Grinderschool.com

More Full Ring NLHE Cash videos than ANY other poker training site. Training starts at $10/month.
    The smoothcall/cap is incredibly obvious even to the most unobservant players. You probably should have threebet the first time around.

Since you did smoothcall, I say I'd prefer to just call again and pop any non-flush turn, rather than give away the strength of my hand. If I'm just calling I could have top pair. Could have second pair. Could be on a draw. They don't know, and they don't have much reason to worry about you. They are both just thinking about the strength of their hands, and ignoring yours. Thats good for you.

The smoothcall/cap line is always a monster and poker is incredibly easy to play when you know what your opponents hold.
    <Staxalax> Honestly, #flopturnriver is the one thing that has improved my game the most.
    Directions to join the #flopturnriver Internet Relay Chat - Come chat with us!
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoricism
    The smoothcall/cap line is always a monster.
    No, sometimes it's just someone gambling with a hand they either aren't folding to a 3-bet or figure their draw has an equity edge.

I would call and raise the turn more often than not. Your over-call of 2 isn't a sign of strength in these loose games and any non-flush turn is getting lead with the other guy stuck in the middle.