Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Blogs and Operations

OP: 25NL to life

Default OP: 25NL to life

So, 4 months after setting myself down the path of online cash games I've reached the stake every poker noob fantasizes about - 25 NL, the nosebleeds of the micros.

Anyone who is able to play their way up to this stake will have learned a few things along the way, and I'm no different. I had committed myself to spending many hours studying - reading books, reviewing previous sessions and pouring through articles online, as well as discussing concepts with a few other like-minded players on a regular basis.. however, despite all of this - and the perhaps misleading fact that I've been beating 25NL for a decent win-rate (12 buy-ins over 9k hands, not counting bonuses or rakeback) - I can't help but feel that my progression as a player has stalled somewhat.

Even though I continue to try to acquaint myself with new concepts (and reacquaint myself with old ones), I still find myself making rookie mistakes - failing to put my opponents on ranges and properly determining the best course of action in response to said range being the most prevalent among them. I also seem to be content to read new material and not really put any effort into practicing or otherwise fully internalizing the concepts that are being presented.

That's where this OP comes in. I'll be using this space primarily to work my way through a selection of concepts and try to find applications for them within my hand histories. I'll also go over whatever trouble spots I've run into that I feel are deserving of more in-depth thought.

With this in mind, I'll not really be tracking my progress here except to indicate when I'll be moving up -- or down, as my bankroll permits.

That's all for the moment. Look for more in the coming days.

TL;DR

• I've stopped improving as a player
    • I still make retarded plays that result from miscalculations, lack of focus and other inexcusable noobish BS
    • I'll be using this blog to help internalize new concepts, as well as discuss any interesting or otherwise troublesome hands that arise over the course of my play
    Last edited by Penneywize; 09-21-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    1rd, iherd this bout hear thing caled pozition.
    can you list some things that you think you do well and specific things you could improve on
    epic blog idea. i made it to 25nl once but then i sucked. now i'm only at micro mid-stakes (10nl obv). good luck with your progressions. hopefully be seeing you at 25nl sometime soon.
    3nd

GL with learning new concepts dude, I'm sure you'll do fine.
    Good luck PW sounds like you're off to a really good start. Hell moving up to 25nl in only four months is commendable imo! Looking forward to watching you progress.
    "You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience...
    The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck."

Quote Originally Posted by XxStacksxX View Post
    Do you have testicles? If so, learn to bet like it
    Sorry dude, couldn't resist...

Last edited by StarGrinder; 09-25-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGrinder View Post
    That's awesome but my name wuz misspelled luhlz

I promise I'll post in this thread soon guys; I've got some non-poker related studying to get to today... once that's out of the way...
    Last edited by Penneywize; 09-26-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarGrinder View Post
    Fixed yore img

EDIT: apparently photobucket thinks there's a terms of use violation on that pic, I'm thinking it's the flopturnriver.com watermark, or some douchebag on the forums (read: newfish) is being a smartass and reporting it as inappropriate. whatever
    Last edited by Penneywize; 09-27-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    funny shit for sure!

Alright so this first concept is a very basic one and probably a bit of a snoozer for most. As I pointed out in my opening post, I need to continue to work on my hand planning and line creation with respect to a given villain's range and other factors. There's a pretty decent video in the concept of the week archive on 2P2 that I've watched recently that covers the issue in a fairly straightforward manner:

COTW: Planning And Default Line Creation - Micro Stakes Full Ring Games - Micro Stakes Poker Strategy Forum

Essentially I'm going to work through a hand and consider the potential profitability of different actions throughout. This will differ from a standard hand analysis only very slightly - I will explicitly consider each available option on every street, as done in the video.

-----------
    Setup: New table that is just starting to fill up. I have 3 hands on the villain in question, so essentially no reads are available.

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
    FullTiltPoker
    6 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
    UTG troylando ($13.12)
    UTG+1 sub ETCS ($15.65)
    CO Hero ($25)
    BTN Frankanstien ($25)
    SB Izzat ($17.25)
    BB Mago Lima ($17.10)

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 6 players) Hero is CO

The only real course of action to take here is to put in a standard raise; I am generally opening a large range of hands in this position, and my holdings are towards the top of my opening range here. Limping and folding are out.

2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Mago Lima calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.60, 2 players)
    Mago Lima checks, Hero ?

Absent reads on my opponent, I tend to assign wider ranges than usual. I have his preflop calling range as:

JJ-22,A2s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,A9o+,KT o+,QTo+

Which leaves him with a great deal of air on the flop. Specifically, here's the breakdown of his range:

A: 99, 44, 33
    B: JJ, TT, A9, K9s, Q9s, J9s, T9s, 98s, 65s
    C: 88-55, 22; A4s, A3s, A5s, A2s, 76s, AK
    D: All else

His check, on the surface, doesn't mean a great deal. All parts of his range may check here; since I am the preflop aggressor, he would expect a c-bet from me a good portion of the time, so he may check his value hands with a plan to induce. Further, donk betting in this position would be a little strange given the board texture. All of A, B, C and D may check here.

My options following his check are to either bet or check (newfish might fold here, but I digress).

Betting versus checking:
    A bet here might seem fairly standard. I could potentially fold out the D portion and perhaps a slice of the C portion of his range some percentage of the time. Also, these two subsets constitute a majority of his holdings, which might suggest a fairly high success rate. However, given the board texture, and my perceived range following my preflop-raise, I would be opening myself up to a potential bluff raise since - assuming a rational opponent - they would realize that the board doesn't exactly hit my range in a way that would often lead me to bet for value.

Other points on betting:
    - balances my value c-bet range (hardly ever a serious consideration since we generally have a larger air c-bet range than value anyway)
    - creates a larger pot which I may take away with continued aggression on future streets i.e. villain is not likely to continue with his bottom B/top C range for 3 streets or C/D range for more than one street. This implies greater risk however.

Given the uncoordinated nature of the board, a check here seems to be a viable choice as well; we forgo adding more air to our c-bet range and otherwise retain our equity in the pot.

-----------

This is rather time consuming; I'll have to wrap this up later. Post to be continued

Note: I'll be continuing analysis of the potential actions on the flop. I'm thinking of getting a little mathematical in terms of how often we need our c-bet to be successful with respect to how often we get bluff-raised or otherwise continued against. This is sort of interesting given that we have no reads on the villain.
    Last edited by Penneywize; 09-27-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Funny thing, I just watched this video the other day and thought it was fantastic. SS makes it an ezgame when you get to the decision tree (or whatever the hell he calls it). Kinda makes you realize how many players aren't thinking about shit and just auto-piloting it.

I didn't read your analysis b/c I wanted to respond with an unbiased opinion.

So against this basically unknown villain, where the only read we have is that he's not aware of the importance of carrying a full stack, its probably best to play straight forward, ldo (i.e. - take default lines). On this flop, we're repping 44, 99, 33, other pairs, or air/unpaired overcards when we cbet. But we know what we have and who the hell knows if villain can hand read. The flop is really dry and we're not getting a hand like 88 to fold so if we do cbet, be prepared to fire another barrel on the turn - not exactly the best play against someone we don't know. He could be check-calling 3 streets with a hand like 22 for all we know. There's just not much value in betting this flop against an unknown since most of what calls is a better hand. And of course if he raises, we have to fold.

We should do some of this stuff in the BC and get some good discussion going in there. It's been a little lacking as of late as far as I can tell. We need to spread some responsibility and do some COTWs in there.
    Last edited by StarGrinder; 09-27-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    -----------
    Continuing my previous example
    -----------

I wanted to point out a few things about our potential c-bet here. What does this bet accomplish, specifically versus each part of villain's range? Ceteris paribus:

A range: will never fold
    B range: not likely to fold, but still might; we'd be folding a better hand
    C range: the top half of the C range will fold with some (probably low) frequency - and again we'd be folding better. Some hands in the lower half are behind ours (the A-high gutshots and 76) and we'd be folding worse.
    D range: mostly behind our range; we'd be folding worse.

We learn very early on that there are three reasons for betting. One, to get value from worse hands; two, to get better hands to fold; and three, to capitalize on the dead money in the pot (i.e. getting our villain to give up their equity). It's also said that the third reason - capitalization of dead money - is never proper justification for a bet on its own, but rather a sweetener that makes up for the thinness of one of the previous two reasons.

C-bets generally rely on this third reason as an extension of betting to 'fold better'. But in situations such as the hand in question, our hand actually has some very weak showdown value that might be relevant in a small-pot scenario such as this... So where is the utility in betting?

We've already shown that the majority of our villain's range is behind ours, all else being equal. Accordingly, we can assume that the times our c-bet is "successful" -- i.e. the villain folds to it -- we are likely just having our opponent fold a worse hand. But we aren't betting to fold worse hands, are we?

What's worse, by betting now we forgo the opportunity to induce any sort of bluff on the turn or river from the air range of our villain that, regardless of whether our AJ high is ahead, will likely fold to continued aggression i.e. a call on the turn and then betting when checked to on the river.

What it all boils down to here is that our c-bet is mainly designed to force some marginally better holdings to fold. Given the board texture, these holdings consist largely of better aces (AK, AQ only), some weird low-pair aces (A4, A3), and low pocket pairs (88 and under, excluding 44/33); and all this is assuming that these holdings would actually fold to a c-bet. All we have to gain from folding out the "worse" portions of our opponent's range here is the equity in the pot that is sacrificed when they release their hand, which isn't really significant, especially when we can either win at showdown or even sometimes induce a bluff from worse if we check behind on this street.

-----------

Math of a c-bet

We need our c-bet to work (Bet / Bet + Pot) % of the time in order for it to be profitable. Assuming a 2/3 pot c-bet, we have:

[(2/3) / 1+(2/3)] = 40%

This is all well and good. How does this compare to the proportion of our villain's range that may fold to a c-bet, and how often are we actually folding worse?

A: 99(3), 44(3), 33(3) = 9 combos
    B: JJ(3), TT(6), A9(9), K9s(3), Q9s(3), J9s(3), T9s(3), 98s(3), 65s(4) = 37 combos
    C: 88-55(24), 22(6); A4s(2), A3s(2), A5s(3), A2s(3), 76s(4), AK(12) = 56 combos
    D: All else -- AQs-ATs(8),A8s-A6s(9),KTs+(11),QTs+(7),JTs(3),87s(4),AQo-ATo(25),KTo+(33),QTo+(28) = 128 combos

Total = 230 combos

A never folds; B folds only with a very low frequency (say 15% rounded to 6 combos); C will fold say 32 of 56 combos (all but the pocket pairs from 88 to 55); and D will fold the majority of the time, occasionally floating some overs - for the purpose of this example we'll say about 85% of the time or 110 combos.

So under these assumptions, our c-bet folds 148 of our villain's 230 combos for a success rate of about 64.3%.

How many of these 148 combos are actually better than ours, though?

We have 6 combos from the B range that we said would fold (but even this seems overly generous), as well as 22 combos from the C range (we said 88-55 would call, so the only 'better' hands that are folding are 22, A4, A3 and AK). From the D range, all that's better than us here is AQ for a total of 12 combos.

Based on this, we fold 6+22+12 = 40 combos that are better than A, J. So, when our villain folds to our c-bet, he is folding worse 73% of the time.

(As an aside, I'd like to point out that I don't think folding worse is some kind of cardinal sin that should be avoided at all costs. Of course we gain when our opponent forfeits his equity in the pot, and each of the "worse" combos at least have some equity to speak for. I'm really just trying to illustrate the point that folding worse is not the primary intention of a c-bet.)

This probably seems like a very long-winded way of saying that it makes little sense to c-bet a dry board with high cards when you're typically way ahead of your opponent's range. But there are other factors that work into this as well.

We worked out that our c-bet is successful 64% of the time assuming our villain never bluffs. But what if he does bluff here, with some frequency - or what if he calls our c-bet, and then leads out for a 1/2 or 2/3 pot-sized bet on the turn?

Clearly, we cannot continue to a raise on the flop (I feel we would need reads to 'play back' at our villain, otherwise we'd be re-raising simply for the sake of doing so), and we will likely fold on most turns when he leads out.

Note that earlier, I said that we could get value out of our villain by getting him to bet worse holdings on the turn, and I'm now saying that we would fold to his turn bet unimproved. The difference between the two situations is that his range would be much stronger if he first called our c-bet rather than if we simply checked behind and he decided to bet any turn.

Given the board texture, a thinking opponent will probably bluff raise or otherwise continue some percentage of the time. We needed our bet to be successful 40% of the time, and based purely on combinations we found that he would fold over 64%.

Let's add in another assumption to keep things (hopefully) simple. If our opponent plays straightforwardly with the A and B portions of his range (and still folds 10% of his B-range as stated earlier), and now decides to bluff raise 1/4th and float another 1/4th of his garbage.

Our calculation is now:

74 / 230 = 32%

and our c-bet is unprofitable. Some of the time when our villain floats, we'll improve to top pair and we may or may not end up winning a larger pot, so this percentage is offset somewhat; but likely still not often enough to make it a profitable play.

-----------

So, therein lies the argument for forgoing a c-bet. I seem to have gone off on a bit of a tangent, and I doubt anyone is actually going to read all this but I felt it was a worth exercise.

I'll continue analysis of this hand -- with <gasp> a turn, and possibly a river card to come -- at a later date.
    Last edited by Penneywize; 09-27-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Meh, so after rereading my previous post I figure I should point out that I wasn't trying to illustrate that a c-bet is outright bad; I feel this is a bit of a borderline scenario and that a case could easily be made for either action. If you play around with some of the assumptions I used - like the c-bet sizing I chose, for example - it's fairly obvious that an argument could be made both ways.
    i agree that an argument could be made for both sides, and either is a very viable option.

first a few notes-

1. i dont think his B range folds to a cbet ever

2. I think he floats so much random shit ie overs and 22, 76 ect that he is never folding better to a cbet, although he will probably call with some worse (probably like 20-30 combos of overs like AT AQ KJ KQ (theres like 100 or so combos so obviously he is folding them a majority of the time but when its such a big % of his range i think its safe to include some in his continuing range, while it may be in your D range, i think he would consider it a C range hand for sure)) And thats not to say that he is thinking in terms of ABCD ranges but he perceives his hand (random overs) as one with marginal value that he could win a pot with.

im still not sure which i like more but i think i agree and like a check back more, if it was wetter/scarier/paired/w/e i would be a lot more inclined to bet but the texture of this board just isnt something id want to fuck with. I have been getting check- raised on a lot of dry flops recently so thats probably influencing my decision.

sorry im babbling now lol, i enjoyed reading your analysis i shoudl do something like this more often myself
    Really good analysis sir. Me and m2m used to talk about this kind of spot all the time where we hold AQ/AK on 994r or something and we were PFR and IP vs any villain. If we cbet, yes, we probably make him fold enough of the time to make it profitable. However, sometimes villain will play back at us with air/overs and will make us forfeit OUR equity share which sucks since we still have the best hand a decent portion of the time when he does this.

If we decide to check and take the free card, sometimes an A or K/Q will peel off and we'll get to value town worse pairs and he might decide to stab since we showed weakness and we end up netting more as a result, while simultaneously losing less because we didn't cbet and just folded to his donk on the turn when a 7 hit

Like you said, I don't think a cbet in this spot is inherently bad, it will certainly still be profitable, I'm just of the opinion that it won't be NEARLY as profitable as checking it back and taking our free card since we're ahead a ton anyways.

Keep up the good work, I read all of it.
    Nice in depth analysis. And I love the OP title. I'll read over the hand analysis later on tonight.

GL 2 u
    Quote Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
    Nice in depth analysis. And I love the OP title. I'll read over the hand analysis later on tonight.

GL 2 u
    leech imo
    Really good shit!

Hey guys, thanks for reading, I'll hopefully have time to post more and respond to your comments (I didn't miss what u guys wrote, promiz!) in the coming days - just got some RL projects to deal with atm...
    Yeah, guess it's about time I updated my OP. After a somewhat lengthy absence, I've returned to the game with renewed motivation and a burning desire to fuck shit up.

Since I've been away for some time... Here are some Coles notes on the last 3 months:

• My time away was mostly due to my focus on academics. I'm taking graduate level courses in economics as a precursor to MA; this required maintaining a high GPA, and in particular, getting stellar grades in two very important courses (econometrics and advanced micro theory). I returned grades of A and A+, respectively, and have a 3.95 GPA over my last two semesters (fuck yeah! I seriously don't think I've ever worked as hard for anything ever before in my life. So I hope you don't get the impression I'm some stuck up prick who thinks he's everyone's intellectual superior; my results are the product of hard mother-fucking work). So, things are looking good and I've got my fingers crossed in terms of my MA applications. I'll be applying to some tier 1 schools (and maybe a 'safety' or two) for admission next fall.

• I've played literally 1,800 hands over these three months, i.e. next to nothing, and all at 10NL. Mainly I was just dicking around and trying to stay sharp, but with next to no free time I believe my game has deteriorated somewhat.

• I played a 10NL session today, 700 hands and made 4 BIs with customary 'return-to-poker' rungood. Despite this I feel I will have to do quite a lot of work just to return to the level I was at back in September.

• On the bright side, I'll hopefully be able to avail myself of this opportunity to break some bad habits. See my comments below for specifics.

I had a conversation with Boog today about BR management and discipline that was rather enlightening. The transcript is sort of long, so I'll boil it down to a few key points:

On BR management and stoplosses:
    <BooG> there are times where i stop a session 15 mins in because i lost a buy-in or buy-in and a half and i know im just gna be thinking "get that buy-n back"
    <BooG> it's shitty thinking on my part
    <BooG> but i'll end the session right there
    <BooG> so in essence, i still nip it in the bud
    <BooG> so like, once u feel ur gna be trying to win whatever back, there's ur stop loss right there
    <BooG> make a list of tilt triggers for urself
    <BooG> once a trigger hits, re-evaluate how u feel and be totally honest
    <Penneywize> obv like many players I have a shit start to a session and the session just gets worse i.e. tilt due to losing begets more losing
    <BooG> yeah
    <BooG> it's all quicksand

On being results-oriented, and in particular, avoiding reviewing session results during a session:
    <Penneywize> I still haven't been able to pull off
    <Penneywize> not checking my BR / session results
    <BooG> well
    <BooG> it's a practice thing
    <BooG> like
    <BooG> u start it off by telling urself
    <BooG> THIS SESSION I WONT CHECK MY RESULTS/BR
    <BooG> and every time u go to, u gta remind urself that "here's an opportunity to practice not checking"
    <BooG> ^ tommy angelo
    <Penneywize> lol
    <BooG> and then u wont check that session
    <BooG> it's so true when u think about it though
    <BooG> u know that INSTANT ur gna click cashier?
    <BooG> or hover over table manager to see how ur sesh is going?
    <BooG> catch urself RIGHT THERE
    <BooG> and tell urself "nah, im not gna do it...here's where i gta stop myself"
    <BooG> and the next session comes, ull do the same thing
    <BooG> by the end of the week, ur gna be like "shit, i havent checked all week, would be a shame if i check now"

He also linked me to this surprisingly-profound blog post; the title is rather self-explanatory so I suppose I'll just link it here:
    Jerry Seinfeld's Productivity Secret

Definitely a worthy read for those of us out there -- the vast majority of us, I'd imagine -- who have trouble following through on their goals and find it easy to lapse into familiar, apathetic behaviours.

Alright. As mentioned, I'll be updating more frequently going forward. I'm not exactly sure which direction I'll be taking next as far as this OP is concerned, but I will definitely stay true to the analytical perspective I've adopted in my posts so far (yeah - this post is about as far as I'll go in terms of life updates).

Before getting back to the core of this OP however I believe I'll make a short post on my goals and perhaps some light statistical analysis on my play dating back to september; hopefully this will provide me some perspective on my play and, given this fresh start, maximize the opportunity I have to work out the leaks and poor habits I've adopted over the course of my development.

More to come.
    Last edited by Penneywize; 12-29-2010 at 04:28 AM.
    ZOMG Penney's back! In before 5kNL/busto/PLOL etc etc.

But seriously I hope things go well for you man.
    GL penney
    [20:19] <Zill4> god
    [20:19] <Zill4> u guys
    [20:19] <Zill4> so fking hopeless
    [20:19] <Zill4> and dumb