Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumShort-Handed NL Hold'em

IP 4-bet bluff gets flatted 100NL

Default IP 4-bet bluff gets flatted 100NL

Villain has folded to almost every 4-bet he's faced. I think his range here for flatting is hence pretty strong and probably comprised of value range he isn't willing to get in like 99-JJ maybe and AQ perhaps KQs AJs. I also wouldn't fully discount QQ+. I decide to just give up post flop vs this range. River is a great card for my range and not very good for his which I expect to be comprised of AQ AJ kind of stuff by now, maybe sometimes the odd 99/TT that didn't lead the turn.

PokerStars - $1 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
    Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 146.23 BB (VPIP: 23.92, PFR: 20.14, 3Bet Preflop: 7.64, Hands: 733)
    BB: 151.7 BB (VPIP: 25.78, PFR: 18.13, 3Bet Preflop: 8.89, Hands: 362)
    UTG: 133.45 BB (VPIP: 13.39, PFR: 11.81, 3Bet Preflop: 6.38, Hands: 131)
    MP: 116.38 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 7.50, 3Bet Preflop: 6.25, Hands: 84)
    CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 25.27, PFR: 21.64, 3Bet Preflop: 5.47, Hands: 567)
    Hero (BTN): 186.63 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 5 A

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, SB raises to 8 BB, fold, Hero raises to 20.4 BB, SB calls 12.4 BB

Flop: (41.8 BB, 2 players) 9 6 9
    SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (41.8 BB, 2 players) 2
    SB checks, Hero checks

River: (41.8 BB, 2 players) K
    SB checks, Hero?
    Not totally surprised if villain wrongfully thought he was priced in with 77/88/76s pre, and this is kinda how those hands would play them against your range. I think villain would feel kinda silly c/f'ing 3 streets with those hands on a run out that's basically second only to flopping a set.

That said, we're never good, we easily rep top pair, AQ/AJ is 24 combos, and we can give ourselves a really good price on a bluff here (especially because we're not trying to fold out any pairs). Our range is more capped than his is, so it's a little risky going full-on post oak, but I have a hard time thinking that we don't have the FE to bet anything 18bb or less.
    Also, I'd flat pre against someone who folds so much to 4bs.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    Also, I'd flat pre against someone who folds so much to 4bs.
    I don't understand this, him folding loads to a 4-bet when we have A4s is amazingly +EV for us and definitely higher EV than flatting this hand, I don't think it plays all that well in a 3 bet pot. We have plenty stuff we can flat here this is a nut hand and spot to 4 bet bluff imo.

Agree if we bet river it's with the intention of folding out AQ AJs stuff and thus our bet shouldn't be too big. I hope we never get heroed by the likes of AQ here.
    Obviously it's better in a vacuum, but against someone who has an exploitable F24b, we went to form our range wisely. Against someone we're never bluffing, sure make the play that's best in a vacuum, but against someone that we're tempted to 4ball with Axo with, we wanna be extra certain to make any and every 0+ eV flat . . . well, except for the ultra premiums.

That fact that he folds to 4bs a lot implies that we have FE against him, not just preflop, and a hand like A5s is a great hand to flat with the intention of running some bluffs, whereas we're in a 4b or fold spot with much of the rest of our range.
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Call pre

I think that you forget that the K is also a great card for his range. He probably hits it 40+ percent of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by surviva316 View Post
    Obviously it's better in a vacuum, but against someone who has an exploitable F24b, we went to form our range wisely. Against someone we're never bluffing, sure make the play that's best in a vacuum, but against someone that we're tempted to 4ball with Axo with, we wanna be extra certain to make any and every 0+ eV flat . . . well, except for the ultra premiums.

That fact that he folds to 4bs a lot implies that we have FE against him, not just preflop, and a hand like A5s is a great hand to flat with the intention of running some bluffs, whereas we're in a 4b or fold spot with much of the rest of our range.
    Yeah gotcha, I suppose being a bit deeper also helps make flatting a +EV option here.

@Renton: Why do you think he has that much Kx here? I feel like KQ KJs doesn't even flat the 4 bet oop too much if it's in his 3-bet range at all given his high FT4B. Moreover do these hands not stab the turn a decent bit? I expect to see more A high than K high on the river by a good amount and I'd defo discount AK due to pre flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters View Post
    Yeah gotcha, I suppose being a bit deeper also helps make flatting a +EV option here.

@Renton: Why do you think he has that much Kx here? I feel like KQ KJs doesn't even flat the 4 bet oop too much if it's in his 3-bet range at all given his high FT4B. Moreover do these hands not stab the turn a decent bit? I expect to see more A high than K high on the river by a good amount and I'd defo discount AK due to pre flop.
    and why do you think this
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro2Macro View Post
    and why do you think this
    He folds to a lot of 4-bets, doesn't seem like the kind of reg to flat KQo/KJo oop to one AQ TT JJ etc seems a lot more likely based on my experience of this kind of player at 100NL.

On reflection I don't think he necessarily stabs KQ on the turn, but that he'd be somewhat less inclined to show it down than he would A high or some random peel with 77 88 type stuff. This is more of a population read than a specific read on this reg.
    you're 150 deep, he's 3betting from a spot where his range is going to likely be depolarized, and your 4bet isn't big. I think those factors combined increase the likelihood you'll get flat called with a variety of broadways, and also some big pairs that aren't aces.
    a little town called none of your goddamn business
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroters View Post

Well KQs is IMO the single most likely 4-bet flat oop hand in today's games. Specifically, suited kings should make up a ton of his range. On the turn I think he certainly bets any pair for protection/value, and he's probably also tempted to bet his worst bluffs, so on the river you are basically trying to fold out AJ/AT only. I highly doubt he folds an actual pair and you beat Queen high. I think he basically has KQ/KJ/KT suited a ton here and you will get called. If you think he has a better ace high more than 40% or whatever of the time, then by all means take a stab, but IMO he just has top pair a lot.