Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Feedback and Announcements

Smiley in poor taste

Default Smiley in poor taste

I just saw a smiley I've not seen before with animated wrist-cutting. : cut :

While I initially found it amusing I'd rather not see it again and ask you to remove it from the site as the strength of the effect it can have on an admittedly small minority is utterly our of proportion to the value otherwise.
    This thread,
    I don't think the internet is for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Grow a pair or the internet will eat you alive
    Oh shit I think the same thing as Ong
    My ex girlfriend, who I loved very much, used to cut herself all the time. It freaked me out, but I just left her to it. I'd be like "oh, I'm gonna go make a cuppa and have a smoke" and just leave her in the bathroom looking like a twat.

Despite the fact that my ex was crazy, I still don't have a problem with smiley that cut themselves, because let's be hoest, if I try really really hard, I can surely find more important things to worry about.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    Oh shit I think the same thing as Ong
    Could be worse. You could have a gf that cuts herself.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Could be worse. You could have a gf that cuts herself.
    I wouldn't. I would leave her the same day I find out. I don't deal with attention whores.
    I'm not sure it was an attention thing. I have no idea what the psychology behind it is, but I don't think it's a play for sympathy. First time she did it, I was basically making a cup of tea thinking "do I need this in my life", but ulitmately I liked her too much to just drop her over that one issue.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    I just saw a smiley I've not seen before with animated wrist-cutting. : cut :

While I initially found it amusing I'd rather not see it again and ask you to remove it from the site as the strength of the effect it can have on an admittedly small minority is utterly our of proportion to the value otherwise.
    Timlagor,

I'm really sorry if the smilie may have triggered you in some way. I will remove the smilie immediately. Please let me know if you need me to remove anything else on FTR, I'll be sure to act urgently.

Maybe you would rather look at this

Last edited by jyms; 02-15-2015 at 03:02 PM.
    Spent a couple of minutes looking for a lol-cat .GIF complete with blade & paw, but failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhubermex View Post
    Spent a couple of minutes looking for a lol-cat .GIF complete with blade & paw, but failed.
    There was this though

Quote Originally Posted by jyms View Post
    There was this though

A+
    While I initially found it amusing
    Does that really sound like it's a trigger for me? I happen to know some people for whom it would be. I don't consider it terribly important but I did think we'd be better off without it and it was worth a few seconds to say so.

I also find moving images annoying when I'm trying to read text since you ask but I don't consider that to be something the site should be concerned about.
    My wife has a vibrator which I find intimidating, thus, I find the dancing banana very offensive, can we please remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timlagor View Post
    Does that really sound like it's a trigger for me? I happen to know some people for whom it would be. I don't consider it terribly important but I did think we'd be better off without it and it was worth a few seconds to say so.

I also find moving images annoying when I'm trying to read text since you ask but I don't consider that to be something the site should be concerned about.
    Online forums are filled with content that sparks disagreement. In fact, the more content a person views on a particular forum, the greater the chance he/she will ultimately read or view something that is unsettling, offensive, etc.

The best advice in this thread in my opinion comes from jyms in Post #4. The "sensitive" route is a hard road for any forum member (poker or otherwise), especially if it's in a General Community forum that's off the beaten path of what that forum specializes in (i.e. any subject can and will be broached).

From a forum management perspective, if we (or any other forum -- regardless of specialty) invested resources in removing stuff from the boards each time an individual took offense to something, we'd have to spend more time censoring than brainstorming ways to improve the site for both New and Veteran Contributors. That's not to say that "Public" forums are necessarily an exercise in free speech, as people are banned daily for spamming, scamming, etc. My point is that if someone wants to form part of any online Community in the medium/long-term, some tolerance is going to be required.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide. This is kind of off-topic, but if you're ever in need of poker staking, be sure to send a Private Message to pti. He may not reply here on the boards but he should still get an email notice with the PM text included so you two can work it out.

-David
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    My wife has a vibrator which I find intimidating, thus, I find the dancing banana very offensive, can we please remove it?
    Just man up and pull that vibrator outta ya ass, you don't need our permission . Just blame me if ya wife gives ya shit over it.

PM me with details so that i can send you my invoice for the advice i have provided.
    My ex's vibrator was intimidated by me.

Or something like that.
    ongies gonna ong
    Quote Originally Posted by Galapogos View Post
    Congratulations, you've won your dick's weight in sweets! Decode the message in the above post to find out how to claim your tic-tac
    I really hope that gets added to the emoticon set.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce123
    I don't get why you insist on stacking off with like jack high all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luco View Post
    At least SOMETHING good will come out of this thread.

No, I kid. GMML's reply was pretty good.
    That's how winners play; we convince the other guy he's making all the right moves.
    Quote Originally Posted by BooG690 View Post
    At least SOMETHING good will come out of this thread.

No, I kid. GMML's reply was pretty good.
    As your lawyer, I advise you judge threads more favourably towards me.
    ongies gonna ong