Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumAll Other Poker/Live Poker

I'm an idiot.

Default I'm an idiot.

I'm just looking for confirmation that this was a bad call...maybe even a horrible call on my part.

The scenario:

Me: Pocket 8's - Under the Gun

Called BB, then a $20 preflop raise with 2 other's in the hand.

Flop: 3, 3, 7 rainbow.

Me: Checks, V: Bet's $100

Me: Raise $200, V: Calls

Turn: 6

V: Bets all In.

Me: Calls

V: Turns over pocket queens

There are some things that were good that lead me to that decision and some are bad. V was playing garbage all day. In the hand just prior to that, she thought I had bluffed her out of a pot with the exact $100 bet, so I thought this was maybe a combination of her trying to buy the pot and revenge from the hand prior. She turned into a stone when she pushed all in, which I 'thought' meant they're probably bluffing (please correct me if I'm wrong). My ultimate failing was her calling my raise to $200 - I lost sight of that EXTREMELY IMPORTANT fact when she pushed all in. I lost focus of that 'minor' detail <rolleyes>. Her all in knocked me for a loop. At that point I should have realized that I was beaten, and beaten handily. I talked myself into this bet though because of what had happened on the previous hand. I made mistakes against this donk all day. On the hand prior when I bet $100, I should have been looking for a value bet, not a get her out of the pot bet. I probably could have got a call on $20-$30, but certainly not $100 (I had a set when she hit top pair).

This is the frustrating part of poker. Prior to these final two hands, I'd played damn near perfect and doubled my stack. Live and learn I guess
    U shore r. I thinks you need to know why you,re doing what you're doing. Pre is bad, flop is bad, turn is... Bad!
    You need to state what stakes you're playing at and stack sizes; this shit is important to good advice.
    I was playing 1/3NL with about $600 in chips. I don't think calling the $20 raise preflop was a bad decision, but I should have played it better...you don't hit your set, you kick your hand to the curb. Plus, I kinda thought I was in the lead, and maybe could have put the other two people on A/K, A/Q. I had top pair after all.
    I don't play live very often but limp calling 88 UTG seems bad, on the flop what do you acheive by raising... Better calls worse foldsh. On the river you know you beat nothing yet, you calls. Bleh seems bad on all streets to me. I think you're some what unlucky but I think your plAy only leads to winning the least and losing the max. I don't think you could beat 2nl online with this kind of play. My opinions obv.
    Awful flop c/r.
    If effective stacks were $600 preflop (that means the pre-flop raiser was also $600 deep), then calling $20 preflop is fine and you can set-mine. If effective stacks were < $200 it's bad. I want to see 15:1 or better effective stacks for my call price, and many people (Harrington, for example) advocate closer to 20:1.
    If you call pre to set mine it's because you think his starting range is strong enough that if you hit sets you get a lot of money off him post-flop. You effectively turned your hand post flop into a bluff because you know he can never call worse. The flop min-raise is really bad because it looks so strong. If there are 2 other players in the hand villain isn't going to c-bet with anything from his starting range that you did beat, like AK/AQ
    The curse of medium pockets.
    You never know if you're up against just over cards, over pairs and sometimes even over sets.
    Unless they make quads you can never be sure they are good.
    It seems that with pocket 8's , you just got unlucky to be in a hand against a better hand and nothing came out to help you . We have all been there and it will happen again . Picking your fighting hand to go in with was maybe your first mistake and should of known that something may have been out there . Good luck next time and learn from your misfortune .
    I assume the blinds was 5-10$ ? Since the first raise was 20$...

After the flop the 100$ had to give you 1 out of 5 to win.

With 88 you needed another 8, which was something less than 10%
    (2 outs out of 47 and then another 2 out of 46)

So you had less than 10% chances of winning.... 5 times the prize ??

You shouldn't have called the 100.

Fold or open to 4x pre-flop (I prefer fold at FR). UTG limping is bad. The whole table is acting after you and you just shouted, "I have a mediocre hand!"

b/f flop is far better than c/c. Give up when flop bet doesn't take the pot down.

As to Villain going like a stone... well, clearly, now that all the facts are in, it means she thinks she has the nuts. It wont mean the same thing for every villain. Every person is unique and his/her body language means subtly different things.
    The lady looked like stone because she was ready to release an SBD on you. Silent, but deadly. I think it sucks that you guessed correctly she did not have trips, nor lost to a straight after the turn, but still lost the hand here to the ladies.
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk, but a lifetime to learn when to shut up.
    lol live.

this hand is w/e until you flop called the turn shove.
    Based on dynamics limping a pp UTG might not be bad live, but you have to know that 5 people are going to the flop and one or two are calling multiple streets with any piece.

Basically, it helps when you have a plan (i.e. why are you limp/calling UTG, and what are you doing after the flop)

Quote Originally Posted by kickass View Post
    I don't think you could beat 2nl online with this kind of play. My opinions obv.
    I don't think I disagree
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Pre-flop is fine.

The flop c/r is pretty bad. Look up Range Manipulation.
    The critical misread here was what her $100 bet was telling you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fnord View Post
    Pre-flop is fine.

The flop c/r is pretty bad. Look up Range Manipulation.
    The critical misread here was what her $100 bet was telling you.
    i can never tell what droolers are thinking when they overbet absurdly dry boards.
    jesus fuck i forgot how much of a nit nikachu was.
    yes you are Conan
    Calling pre-flop was OK by me. The board appears to be nonthreatening but the $100 bet should signal big pair or better. If I want to go ahead with middle pair, personally I call but I understand the raise maybe trying to see where you are. Calling the all in I understand if you and villain have been playing back at each other, you were ul. I probably fold there, thinking that I played weak. lol(sic). Unfortunately these things will happen in poker when you take on another player personally( by play I mean). Better read next time!!
    What MUST be, most surely SHALL be!!

confirmed idiot
    yea, the hundo would have me fold here, but it's hard when you got top pair on the flop...