Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,291,000 Posts!
Poker ForumSmall Stakes NL Hold'em

ATo strange hand.

Default ATo strange hand.

Villain stats: 41VPIP/21PFR/2AG over 60 hands

This Player liked to play in position he was frequently isolating limpers and and calling often from late position.

PokerStars, Hold'em No Limit - $0.01/$0.02 - 8 players
    Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: $2.34 (117 bb)
    UTG+1: $3.00 (150 bb)
    MP: $1.46 (73 bb)
    MP+1: $1.00 (50 bb)
    CO: $5.19 (260 bb)
    BU: $3.27 (164 bb)
    SB: $2.15 (108 bb)
    BB (Hero): $1.13 (57 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero is BB with A T
    3 players fold, MP+1 raises to $0.06, CO calls $0.06, 2 players fold, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.19) K 9 J (3 players)
    Hero checks, MP+1 bets $0.09, CO folds, Hero calls $0.09

Turn: ($0.37) 8 (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP+1 bets $0.02, Hero calls $0.02

River: ($0.41) Q (2 players)
    Hero bets $0.20, MP+1 calls $0.20

I felt priced in to call and see a flop, on flop I have gutshot with overcard I check call half pot .Turn doesnt change much I check and villain bets 0.02? I have no idea what this means most of the time I just ignore it and read it as a check because its not really a bet. river completes for straight and I bet half pot ,villain flat calls and shows 2 pair . Should I have bet more on the river?
    This flop call is much better when you're 100bb deep. You're certainly not priced in, we say that to refer to direct drawing odds, but you do have some implied odds, so it might be ok. It's just you'd have more implied odds if you both had 100bb, and that can turn a marginal call into a profitable one. I appreciate villain is also short stacked here, but you're not helping yourself by being short.

River bet probably needs to be a little higher to justify the flop call. We lost money on the flop, this is where we win it back. 30c should do it, he can still call two pair hands, and certainly a ten. Maybe he even thinks we can bluff and he calls a bad king.

If we get raised, life sucks and idk what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
    Your implied odds aren't great here actually. Yes we have a draw to the nuts, but when we get there we can only reasonably expect to stack Tx. Most of his range is not going to put all the money in when we make the nuts. It's important to be aware how the board texture looks when we make the hand we want to be paid off with. The flop nine hurts our implied odds.

The overcard helps us a little but it also gets us into trouble sometimes so that's a double edged sword.
    ongies gonna ong
    Ya I see what your saying, the T makes an obvious straight giving us less implied odds? Villain showed K9 he flopped 2 pair, after I seen his hand I felt like I should have just jammed the river . The way he played was hard to tell what he had I think beings OOP made it harder to put him on a proper range in this hand.I called on the flop because I thought I might actually have the best hand with A-high since I seen this villain tend to C-bet pretty frequently in position and I had a chance to improve if I didn’t. I was willing to fold to an actual turn bet but villain didn’t do and basically gave me a free river card.
    Ya I see what your saying, the T makes an obvious straight giving us less implied odds?
    Exactly. Hands like the one he has are paying off less. If he had KJ and there was no nine, he probably gets his stack in on the river.

His turn bet is truly awful for such a strong hand. He's trying to induce a raise, and chances are he'll do this again. Make a note of this and pay attention to his showdowns when he makes these bets, it could be a tell that he's strong.

...after I seen his hand I felt like I should have just jammed the river .
    It's important to not think like this. This is being results orientated. We don't make decisions based on what they actually have, we do so based on their range. We want to bet the optimal amount that gets the most value from his entire range.

And besides, if you jam the river he might actually fold. Two pair isn't that strong on this board, even fish can realise that. If you've seen him make loose river calls to overbets before, then ok, go for it, but if you go too big you're only getting called by a ten.
    ongies gonna ong
    ...or a flush. We can't ignore the fact that some of his range has us beat. Chances are he jams a flush on the river and puts us in a horrible spot, but if we jam then we just give him maximum value with his flushes without him even having to try.

Tx isn't a large enough part of his range to target with a shove. We want his weaker hands to call, he has these a lot more often.
    ongies gonna ong