Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,288,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Something I should say more often

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 451 to 515 of 515
  1. #451
    Wow Ong. One guy getting beat up by two other guys. You're right, it's out of control.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  2. #452
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Ignore the above.

    The last thing I should do is bitch about racism on me and people like me. I well understand that the worst thing you can do when people treat you racistly is to act like it owns you.

    History is rife with examples of communities overcoming prejudice by not letting it own them. And history is rife with communities wallowing in despair when they do let it own them.
    It's telling that you think the burden belongs on the oppressed. Also your veiled "[x] group rose up and became respectable" argument is tired. Your Scott Adams slight of hand nonsense is weaksauce, but I will admit, it's fun to watch.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    [x] Says "ignore it"
    [x] Doesn't delete it
    [ ] wants it ignored
    lol bingo
  3. #453
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Wow Ong. One guy getting beat up by two other guys. You're right, it's out of control.
    Sorry my mistake, this clearly isn't a problem, just pretend it's not happening and assume this is literally the only example. Don't forget to post more fake news supporting your narrative while not asking the question why anyone would need to fake such footage if it were actually happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  4. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Sorry my mistake, this clearly isn't a problem, just pretend it's not happening and assume this is literally the only example. Don't forget to post more fake news supporting your narrative while not asking the question why anyone would need to fake such footage if it were actually happening.
    Ok it's a serious problem single white men being set on and beaten by black guys. Let's do something like I dunno, have an All Lives Matter rally, or I dunno, call the cops on the guys who beat him up.

    You posted one video with no context that could have happened any time and any where, and expect me to think it's significant.

    p.s. I don't think black people should gang up on white people and beat them up, in case you're wondering.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  5. #455
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    I feel deep sympathy for all the wronged and oppressed heterosexual young white men of the world. After all, they have to beat incredible odds to not succeed. Let's all hold hands in prayer.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  6. #456
    Yeah, because the Irish haven't had to suffer the might of the British Empire. The Irish don't get discriminated against. Just a white kid, fuck him. He should've used his privilege better.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  7. #457
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Ok it's a serious problem single white men being set on and beaten by black guys. Let's do something like I dunno, have an All Lives Matter rally, or I dunno, call the cops on the guys who beat him up.

    You posted one video with no context that could have happened any time and any where, and expect me to think it's significant.

    p.s. I don't think black people should gang up on white people and beat them up, in case you're wondering.
    You want me to sit here and provide link after link of incidents involving racism against whites? Sorry, can't be bothered. If it's actually something you're interested in, get on that Twitter thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  8. #458
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  9. #459
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Yeah, because the Irish haven't had to suffer the might of the British Empire. The Irish don't get discriminated against. Just a white kid, fuck him. He should've used his privilege better.
    All of that was because they were white?
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  10. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    All of that was because they were white?
    No, it was because they were Irish. Are you making a point here? Because if so, it went over my head. The best I can figure is "xenophobia isn't racism", which is something I agree with. Maybe you're saying "racism is worse than xenophobia", which isn't necessarily something I agree with and depends on the context. I mean, starving a nation seems a little worse than calling someone a mean word.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  11. #461
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    The point was that this whole discussion has been about racism, and I find it very hard to classify the Northern Ireland situation to have much to do with it. Religion and politics mainly I think, I could be more informed about the history. Yes, some white people undeniably face degrees of racism, just like every other "race". But as a white man I'd say there's no one that has it better than "us" on the planet. Let's concentrate on that after the bigger issues have been fixed. You and wuf are of course free to at any time organize a movement to fix the white racism issues, but it's not on my list of priorities.
  12. #462
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    But it's also not good to just completely ignore racism against whites. Just the other day I was walking down a hallway when I saw a coin on the floor. When I went to pick it up, I noticed it was stuck to the floor with gum. As I got up, I heard the sound of an indian girl laughing. I turned around, but no one was there. Obviously I can't prove it, but it felt racially motivated.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  13. #463
    Quote Originally Posted by cocco
    The point was that this whole discussion has been about racism, and I find it very hard to classify the Northern Ireland situation to have much to do with it. Religion and politics mainly I think, I could be more informed about the history.
    We got onto a discussion about Ireland because I linked a clip of an Irish kid getting beaten for being white. Your reply was this...

    I feel deep sympathy for all the wronged and oppressed heterosexual young white men of the world. After all, they have to beat incredible odds to not succeed. Let's all hold hands in prayer.
    Mockery, as though racism against him isn't as bad because he's privileged. I point out the Irish have suffered historical oppression and still suffer discrimination. Your reply was this...

    All of that was because they were white?
    As though skin colour determines how bad oppression and discrimination is.

    Are you happy with how this conversation is going?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  14. #464
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    But it's also not good to just completely ignore racism against whites. Just the other day I was walking down a hallway when I saw a coin on the floor. When I went to pick it up, I noticed it was stuck to the floor with gum. As I got up, I heard the sound of an indian girl laughing. I turned around, but no one was there. Obviously I can't prove it, but it felt racially motivated.
    It's ok cocco, you can always be happy that even when you drift into deranged territory, you'll never be as deranged as oskar.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  15. #465
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    We got onto a discussion about Ireland because I linked a clip of an Irish kid getting beaten for being white. Your reply was this...
    My comments haven't been to your video, I didn't watch it.
  16. #466
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You want me to sit here and provide link after link of incidents involving racism against whites? Sorry, can't be bothered. If it's actually something you're interested in, get on that Twitter thing.
    Lol, gj Ong.

    "Racism against whites is increasing and it's socially acceptable."

    "Prove it."

    <posts a video somewhere, sometime showing a white guy getting a kicking from two black guys>

    "That's not proof."

    "Go find it yourself then."
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  17. #467
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    We got onto a discussion about Ireland because I linked a clip purportedly of an Irish kid getting beaten for being white.
    fyp
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  18. #468
    No Coco you're supposed to find the evidence to support Ong's arguments yourself. Jeez man, get with it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  19. #469
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    I watched the video ong. I don't know what the guy had done to deserve this, but uncool in any case. Is this supposed to prove whites everywhere are oppressed and blm is bullshit? I don't get it.
    No, but if you follow the discussion in the context of me thinking you were actually talking about this video, hopefully you'll see why I was surprised by your position.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  20. #470
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    No, but if you follow the discussion in the context of me thinking you were actually talking about this video, hopefully you'll see why I was surprised by your position.
    Fair enough yes, I can see how me belittling the violence against that dude could ruffle your feathers. Now with this context, does what I said still seem unreasonable?
  21. #471
    The problem is, you guys take my comments to the extreme. I have a problem with the political aspect of BLM, and you guys interpret that as "BLM is bullshit". You actively push me to the extremes and I end up arguing about how I'm not actually saying what you think I'm saying.

    This pretty much sums up the entire left vs right discourse around the world.

    And poop, you do this a lot. You pretend to want to know about something, and expect me to do the digging for you. I don't give a fuck what you think, I'm not interested in proving anything to you. You either give a shit or you don't, and if you do, you'll dig. idk if you just don't want to face the reality of racism against whites because it doesn't suit your narrative, or if you really think it's not a problem. It isn't a problem like racism against blacks, however if people are just going "whatever" when they see racism against whites then it will progressively get worse. The racist are empowered.

    Racism needs to be dealt with in all aspects of life. BLM should be condemning this, they should be actively fighting racism against all people. But nobody gives a fuck about whites because we're fucking privileged.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  22. #472
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    I feel deep sympathy for all the wronged and oppressed heterosexual young white men of the world. After all, they have to beat incredible odds to not succeed. Let's all hold hands in prayer.
    I don't understand this viewpoint. I don't get why you have a tone of mockery towards white oppressed people. It seems to me like you think that white privilege means that when whites are oppressed, it's not as bad as when blacks are.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #473
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't understand this viewpoint. I don't get why you have a tone of mockery towards white oppressed people. It seems to me like you think that white privilege means that when whites are oppressed, it's not as bad as when blacks are.
    What I mean specifically is, that as long as there's the kind of racism that most blacks have to live with, whataboutism about the grievances of white people are laughable in comparison. Like I already said, I know there's racism against whites, just like every fukin body. I think white's are the least affected by racism out of everyone. Diverting the conversations from blm to The Great White Suffering as if they somehow compare is pathetic.
  24. #474
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The problem is, you guys take my comments to the extreme. I have a problem with the political aspect of BLM, and you guys interpret that as "BLM is bullshit". You actively push me to the extremes and I end up arguing about how I'm not actually saying what you think I'm saying.
    Today's discussion isn't about the broader political motiviation of BLM, as much as you wish it was since you talked yourself into a corner so quickly.

    Today's discussion was prompted by your "racism against white people is increasing and it's socially acceptable." bullshit. So let's keep that in context.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This pretty much sums up the entire left vs right discourse around the world.
    If "racism against white people is increasing and its socially acceptable" is somehow ambiguous I ain't seeing it. I think that's about as clear and unambiguous as it gets.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    And poop, you do this a lot. You pretend to want to know about something, and expect me to do the digging for you.
    Right, cause it's my fault you don't provide evidence to support your argument. How lazy of me to expect you to back up your own claims.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't give a fuck what you think, I'm not interested in proving anything to you. You either give a shit or you don't, and if you do, you'll dig. idk if you just don't want to face the reality of racism against whites because it doesn't suit your narrative, or if you really think it's not a problem. It isn't a problem like racism against blacks, however if people are just going "whatever" when they see racism against whites then it will progressively get worse. The racist are empowered.

    Racism needs to be dealt with in all aspects of life. BLM should be condemning this, they should be actively fighting racism against all people. But nobody gives a fuck about whites because we're fucking privileged.
    Apparently you do care what I think or you wouldn't have gone on to add all this wingeing about how hard it is to be white these days.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  25. #475
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    It's just triage. Heal the most immediate cases immediately, then heal the less immediate cases.


    If there are messages of people calling for black superiority, that doesn't reflect what the world-wide protests are about.

    If people are suggesting that anti-white racism either doesn't exist or isn't a problem, then that's not what the world-wide protests are about.


    I'm sure there are bad actors on both sides. I'm sure there are idiots and opportunists taking advantage of both sides. I'm sure there are agitators trying to work to make both sides look worse than they are.
    All of that is all the more reasons to be skeptical of extremist positions coming from both sides.

    The vast majority of people are peacefully marching and protesting to demand less police violence. The movement is triggered specifically by what the data shows is a disproportionate percentage of black people being the target of overly aggressive police tactics and a judicial system that excuses police violence.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  26. #476
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz


    Racism is terrible.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  27. #477
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Terrorists win.
  28. #478
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    This thread is the reason why I refuse to engage honestly in this discussion: https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/st...38988206604289
    This guy catalogues videos of police brutality during the BLM protests. He's at #475 in two weeks.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  29. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    It's telling that you think the burden belongs on the oppressed. Also your veiled "[x] group rose up and became respectable" argument is tired. Your Scott Adams slight of hand nonsense is weaksauce, but I will admit, it's fun to watch.
    I'm a Friendly.
  30. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    [x] Says "ignore it"
    [x] Doesn't delete it
    [ ] wants it ignored
  31. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    What I mean specifically is, that as long as there's the kind of racism that most blacks have to live with, whataboutism about the grievances of white people are laughable in comparison. Like I already said, I know there's racism against whites, just like every fukin body. I think white's are the least affected by racism out of everyone. Diverting the conversations from blm to The Great White Suffering as if they somehow compare is pathetic.
    Nice use of the buzzword "whataboutism". This isn't me going "omg what about black people being racist too", this is me saying "white people are victims too".

    I think white's are the least affected by racism out of everyone.
    On average, of course, but that's no comfort to those who experience it. You're basically saying "well because you're white and you're less likely to be affected by racism, the racism you have suffered isn't as bad and we shouldn't worry about it because bigger fish to fry, hope you get better, soz mate".

    Diverting the conversations from blm to The Great White Suffering as if they somehow compare is pathetic.
    You've got me wrong, once again. This isn't about the "great white suffering", it's about the "great human suffering", of which blacks and whites are victims. How am I more woke than you on such matters?

    You seem to think racism against whites isn't a problem. If I say "yes it fucking is", suddenly I'm all about the "great white suffering". This is what I mean about pushing me to the extreme. I mean poop thinks that saying "white racism is on the increase and is socially acceptable" is a radical thing to say. He thinks that's extreme. It's not. It's an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  32. #482
    cocco is proving that racism against whites is socially acceptable, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  33. #483
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Nice use of the buzzword "whataboutism". This isn't me going "omg what about black people being racist too", this is me saying "white people are victims too".
    You mean white lives matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    On average, of course, but that's no comfort to those who experience it. You're basically saying "well because you're white and you're less likely to be affected by racism, the racism you have suffered isn't as bad and we shouldn't worry about it because bigger fish to fry, hope you get better, soz mate".
    Should we start from the smallest problems or the biggest ones? And as it's been said many times, pretty much none of the items on the agenda of BLM would only help blacks, they'd work against all kinds of excessive police violence.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You've got me wrong, once again.
    I know, entirely possible and the main reason I'm willing to continue this discussion. If you still feel I'm somehow dismissive of racism against whites because I feel it's a far smaller problem than racism against pretty much everyone else, I don't know what to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This isn't about the "great white suffering", it's about the "great human suffering", of which blacks and whites are victims. How am I more woke than you on such matters?
    Well tbh I don't think you are.

    Let me recap:

    Me, poop, oskar, mmm: some fucked up shit against the blacks, cool that something is happening
    You and wuf: but what about the whites
    Me, poop, oskar, mmm: yeah that'll get fixed too
    You and wuf: but what about the whites

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You seem to think racism against whites isn't a problem. If I say "yes it fucking is", suddenly I'm all about the "great white suffering". This is what I mean about pushing me to the extreme. I mean poop thinks that saying "white racism is on the increase and is socially acceptable" is a radical thing to say. He thinks that's extreme. It's not. It's an observation.
    After saying like 3 separate times how I acknowledge there's racism against whites, and how I think there's nothing cool or justifiable about that, it's does feel like you're not hearing me at all for some reason.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  34. #484
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    End racism against whites :'(

    https://youtu.be/A3z0GjT-_Vc?t=848

    I would post the original, but it appears he has taken it down.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  35. #485
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Me, poop, oskar, mmm: some fucked up shit against the blacks, cool that something is happening
    You and wuf: but what about the whites
    Me, poop, oskar, mmm: yeah that'll get fixed too
    You and wuf: but what about the whites
    We can all speak for ourselves.

    This is not a numbers game.

    Just because we don't have more people here who feel like BLM does not represent them, doesn't mean anything.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  36. #486
    You mean white lives matter?

    No, I think I like "fuck the system" as an all-inclusive catchphrase.

    Should we start from the smallest problems or the biggest ones?
    No, we should recognise that racism against blacks and racism against whites is the same problem.

    If you still feel I'm somehow dismissive of racism against whites because I feel it's a far smaller problem than racism against pretty much everyone else, I don't know what to say.
    I get that you're saying that racism against whites isn't cool. My problem is that you imply heavily that it's not a priority, that racism against blacks is a bigger problem. I don't agree, I consider them problems of equal magnitude because it's the same problem.

    After saying like 3 separate times how I acknowledge there's racism against whites, and how I think there's nothing cool or justifiable about that, it's does feel like you're not hearing me at all for some reason.
    Should we start from the smallest problems or the biggest ones?
    There's the implication than these are different problems of different sizes that need dealing with separately. Whether you explicitly say it or not, you see racism against blacks as worse than racism against whites. That's the message you're giving me. That's why I'm not "hearing" you when you say one thing but imply another.

    I think we're fucked, personally. I think the division is too deep, that we're heading for civil wars in USA and UK. The powers that be have been actively doing their best to create the conditions for social unrest. What's their game? My best guess is that they're preparing to impose fascism. First get everyone fighting, and then the state has the justification to clamp down, taking away freedoms in the process. They've been eroding our freedoms for a long time, the idea of free speech in 2020 is laughable. In the UK, some teenagers got arrested for saying mean things about Floyd on Twitter. We're already at the point where hurting someone's feelings can be a criminal offence.

    But I don't know what their game is. But they are definitely playing a game, and we are definitely the pawns.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  37. #487
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    There's the implication than these are different problems of different sizes that need dealing with separately. Whether you explicitly say it or not, you see racism against blacks as worse than racism against whites. That's the message you're giving me. That's why I'm not "hearing" you when you say one thing but imply another.
    Sorry if I haven't been clear. I very explicitly mean that it's worse for the blacks. Not in the sense that a black person getting beat up for racial reasons is worse than a white person getting beat up for racial reasons, but that racism against blacks is far more deep-rooted, prevalent, systemic and severe. I for one can not count a single instance in my life where I'd been on the receiving end of racism, while for every single person of color here it's probably a weekly thing. And we don't even have a history of slavery or colonialism.

    What I see on your videos (how I interpret them) are blacks retaliating against whites, I'm fairly sure those instances would not have happened if blacks had not first been the subject of racism from white people. If that's the case it doesn't make any of it justifiable, but also makes them a different thing than what I understand as racism. My hypothesis is this: blacks face racism from whites because they're black, whites face racism from blacks because they have been oppressing blacks. Fix the former, fix the latter.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  38. #488
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    What I see on your videos (how I interpret them) are blacks retaliating against whites,
    While I can understand their anger, I don't think it's forgivable for black people to take out their frustrations on the first white person they see.

    To use an ananlogy, it's one thing for slaves to rise up and kill the slaveowner, it's quite another for them to kill some random guy walking by who is the same colour as the slaveowner.

    If the white guy in the video had done something to provoke them, then that's different. But if he was just on his way to the shop for a loaf of bread, then beating his ass is not ok, no matter how oppressed you are.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  39. #489
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Yes exactly, that's why it's hard to say anything without the context. If the attack was unprovoked and happened just because he was white, that's just as bad as any racist attack, no matter by whom against who. If he provoked it somehow, that makes it a bit different, at least in the aspect of how to prevent it from happening again. Still, regardless of what happened there, I see no parallels with systemic police brutality here, and no reason to even bring any of this up when talking about BLM.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  40. #490
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz


    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  41. #491
    ^^ It's been pretty surreal the last couple of weeks. Both the Daily Mail and even before them the Telegraph (two pretty right wing papers) have suddenly gotten all soft and cuddly. They're trashing the gov't over its handling of CV, and criticising Boris.

    It's the UK equivalent of Fox News giving Trump the thumbs-down.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  42. #492
    Guy at the bottom obviously missing football.


    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post


    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  43. #493
    ^^ Guess it's the next best thing to chanting racist stuff at black players.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  44. #494
    My hypothesis is this: blacks face racism from whites because they're black, whites face racism from blacks because they have been oppressing blacks.
    This is a profoundly different viewpoint to mine cocco, and pretty much is the basis of our differences.

    You're blaming the white race for the oppression of blacks. This for me is the problem that white people have right now. Some white people feel guilty about historical racism, others say "it's got fuck all to do with me". When you then say to someone "yes it has because you're white", that my friend is racism.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  45. #495
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You're blaming the white race for the oppression of blacks. This for me is the problem that white people have right now.
    I don't care about whose fault anything is, I'm just interested in solutions, which is what I see BLM being about. But let's entertain your notionfor a sec, who should be responsible then? No one? The blacks? *Shrug*? "Let's just hope it goes away, someone else's problem" is exactly the reason we are in this situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Some white people feel guilty about historical racism, others say "it's got fuck all to do with me". When you then say to someone "yes it has because you're white", that my friend is racism.
    Some white people probably feel guilty about it for good reasons, many probably have no direct reason to be, and shouldn't. This has nothing to do with someone's snowflakey feelings of victimization though, this is about fixing things, where *everyone* should feel the responsibility.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  46. #496
    I'm just interested in solutions, which is what I see BLM being about.
    Ok. I disagree, I think BLM are making things worse. I think that is absolutely the intention.

    The solution for me is for black and white people to unite and rise against those who create the systems that cause social division and racism. We're talking about systematic racism here. Systematic. The enemy is the system, and it's the enemy of us all.

    who should be responsible then?
    The people who create the systems we live in. That isn't "whites", it's the wealthy and powerful. Their actual race is a complete irrelevance.

    *Shrug*? "Let's just hope it goes away, someone else's problem"
    Let's imagine ong's position to be *shrug hope it goes away*. I know it's not going away. It might go away if we fought the root causes instead of just blaming each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  47. #497
    Seems like BLM has accomplished something.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...f_George_Floyd
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  48. #498
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,241
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The solution for me is for black and white people to unite and rise against those who create the systems that cause social division and racism. We're talking about systematic racism here. Systematic. The enemy is the system, and it's the enemy of us all.
    Sounds an awful lot like BLM to me.
  49. #499
    That's not what I see from BLM. I see radicals recruiting liberals to their cause. The cause it supremacy, but the message is equality. It's just the means to equality is blame, guilt, and censoring history.

    BLM is a deep state tool.

    I'm a lot more cynical than you guys, that's the main difference between us.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  50. #500
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    My hypothesis is this: blacks face racism from whites because they're black, whites face racism from blacks because they have been oppressing blacks. Fix the former, fix the latter.
    I would even say it's absolutely pathetic for a white person in the west to claim they are victims of racism by a minority. They might be subjected to prejudice, but the reason it's pathetic to call that racism is because you're in a position of power. You're not getting oppressed by blacks in a country where the republican senate is pure white, where the pure white administration is polling at 1% with ethnic minorities who are obviously not feeling represented and where you have a criminal justice system that is demonstrably systemically racist.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  51. #501
    I hope CHAZ is more than just a drum circle.

    If they can keep cops out for years, if they can get some people doing economic stuff who don't ever leave the zone (and stop paying taxes), if when there's a possible murder and they still keep cops out

    Realistically it's probably just a summer festival. But a man can hope it's something more.
  52. #502
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Sounds an awful lot like BLM to me.
    That would be awesome.

    In my experience, there's still quite a bit of statistics ignorance and racism.
  53. #503
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    How is it you manage to state the blindingly obvious in a way that seems confrontational, wuf?

    People suck at understanding statistics. I've been saying for over 10 years that the single most important college course that should be a part of every single major is a probability and statistics course from a math department. We see statistics in almost every news broadcast, and basically no one understands what a confidence interval is, why it's vital to know it, and scandalous that it's not given. We are almost never told the breadth of the study which produced whatever statistic, how many participants, from what socioeconomic background, etc.

    So that's a huge avenue we leave open for politicians and other community leaders to openly lie to us in ways that make us feel smart without actually learning anything.


    Saying there's racism - or more broadly bigotry - is just blindingly obvious no matter where or when you look at human history.



    All of which is just obvious.

    But you attach some quote with BLM, and without making any direct connection, you're somehow linking the 2 things.


    Your studies into how to persuade people have devolved into you learning how to manipulate (less intelligent) people (than you) with false connections and trite crap that sounds profound.
    You used to be an intellectual. Now you're just adding your own from of propaganda.


    I mean... who needs Kanye? Wuf for POTUS!
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  54. #504
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    How is it you manage to state the blindingly obvious in a way that seems confrontational, wuf?
    I have ideas. Why do you think?

    persuade people
    If I was attempting to persuade you guys, I would absolutely never post from this account again.

    I'm here because I love and respect you guys and like having fun discussions (while learning more about you and myself too).
  55. #505
    Anybody know of a twitter account that dutifully covers the legitimate peaceful side of the current happenings as well as the wrongly-violent side of the police?

    Preferably somebody who dutifully sticks to what's legitimate.
  56. #506
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I have ideas. Why do you think?
    The rest of my post is me explaining my point vis-a-vis your post I was responding to.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    If I was attempting to persuade you guys, I would absolutely never post from this account again.
    Do you think we're so blinded by your name that we don't take your words at their face value?
    Do you think we're just "oh there goes wufwugy, wuffing it up again." and not responding to your stated ideas?

    FWIW, I don't want to be that kind of person, so if you think I'm doing that, please feel invited call me out on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I'm here because I love and respect you guys and like having fun discussions (while learning more about you and myself too).
    Sorry if I connected dots that don't directly connect...
    like that one time when you posted a quote about BLM, then added a non-sequitur about broadly applicable human conditions, as if you are saying it's all proper and good to hold people in BLM to a higher / different standard than all of humanity.

    But, then... what's your actual point?

    What's your point when you post some comment and don't delete it, but tell people to ignore it?

    How is that loving and respecting us?
    'Cause that feels to me like some manipulation tactic, where you say something meant to incite a response, then pretend you didn't mean to say it when you obviously did mean to say it.
    That comes across as the opposite of respectful, IMO. It comes across as a troll.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 06-14-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  57. #507
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Anybody know of a twitter account that dutifully covers the legitimate peaceful side of the current happenings as well as the wrongly-violent side of the police?

    Preferably somebody who dutifully sticks to what's legitimate.
    I avoid twitter as a source with 0 accountability and a magnet for fake news and rage posting.

    It's still a clearly and plainly biased source, but the CNN live feed does an OK job of it.
    https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/geo...-20/index.html

    There's a new page every day, so if you don't click that link today, it will be outdated.
    A google search for "CNN George Floyd Live" will find the current page's news, IME.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  58. #508
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    ...face value?
    .... stated ideas?
    People don't take most things at face value because we're emotional beings with filters. Balancing a checkbook might be an example of when the filter is pure rational thought.
  59. #509
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    What's your point when you post some comment and don't delete it, but tell people to ignore it?
    I posted the comment that I've experienced a lot of racism because I thought it might generate some interesting discussion on race.

    After posting, I quickly remembered that I do not want my mind to fall into the trap of victimhood, so I wrote out the followup for my personal health mainly, and posted it.

    I left them both up because they could generate interesting discussion on race and/or how to respond to racism.
  60. #510
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I mean, I've been on the receiving end of racism, by police and by regular people on the street / bus / train.

    The times I've been the subject of racism by police was clear white privilege. Twice, a cop has pulled me over, made a vaguely racist comment to me when I was pulled over in a black neighborhood and then didn't write me a ticket.
    So they were probably going to do one of your average, "driving while black" interactions, then got stymied when they accidentally pulled over a white driver.
    Yes, is racism. Is hard for me to fight that. Am I supposed to demand they give me a ticket, or pull me from my vehicle and pat me down and search my vehicle? No, obv. that is not in my best interests in that moment.
    Could I report the officer? Get their name and badge number and report that vaguely racist comment they made? To what end? Will that officer be fired or even reprimanded? Almost certainly not.


    About 2 times a year, some pissed off person will start shouting how they hate white people / are taking no more shit from white people. I look around and I'm the only white person on the bus, so I definitely feel like my ears are the intended audience for those obviously racial comments. A couple of times, I've tried to engage that person, telling them whatever happened to them is BS, and that I hope no other white people give them any shit. It's not well received.
    OK. So what? Someone said some things that weren't about me, but which seemed to be directed at me and to vilify me.

    That happens regularly... if you can call 2 or 3 times a year regular. So what?


    This does not even compare to the stories that every black person I've been comfortable enough with to talk candidly about these issues.
    Does not compare.

    So when I hear white people talking about anti-white racism, I'm just wondering
    A) if they mean what I've experienced
    B) how regular is it they have these experiences
    C) have they ever taken the time to befriend a black person to the point of being able to talk candidly about these issues
    and D) have they had those conversations?

    'Cause I don't understand at all how anyone with a life story remotely close to mine, in the part of the world where I live, can honestly assert there's no disparity in what racism there is, and to what extent it pervades the daily lives of black people, but tangentially affects white people (negatively) on a very occasional basis.


    So if you want to have an adult conversation about this, then rise to the challenge, and speak candidly about what anti-white racism has affected you, and how often it happens. If you're only willing to make vague allusions to it, without even trying to understand or seek understanding, then that signals to me that you're only interested in your own pity party, and to minimize the actual impact of racism on the greater world.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  61. #511
    Thank you for sharing. That was good to read.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    So if you want to have an adult conversation about this, then rise to the challenge, and speak candidly about what anti-white racism has affected you, and how often it happens. If you're only willing to make vague allusions to it, without even trying to understand or seek understanding, then that signals to me that you're only interested in your own pity party, and to minimize the actual impact of racism on the greater world.
    I was a hair's breadth away from losing one of my jobs because of my white skin.

    On a regular basis, I don't have freedom to speak my opinion because of my white skin.

    There's been a pretty big ongoing mess at my work because one of the employees blames his problems on systemic racism. For right or wrong, he scared the crap out of the company owner. The company owner then stopped doing anything about our delinquent employee, because the company owner was (for right or wrong) afraid of what the delinquent employee would do to us by using race.
  62. #512
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Thank you also, for sharing.


    What do you know of the racism black people face?
    Specifically,
    C) have you ever taken the time to befriend a black person to the point of being able to talk candidly about these issues
    and
    D) have you had those conversations?
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  63. #513
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    What do you know of the racism black people face?
    From personal experience, I once overheard Obama get called a nigger.

    The rest of my exposure is based on what I hear. An example of racism against black people that I believe is true is Patrice O'Neal's story about how he and 3 other black guys got railroaded into prison because of a lying white girl and an insufficiently considerate judge/jury.


    C) have you ever taken the time to befriend a black person to the point of being able to talk candidly about these issues
    and
    I know the black guy I previously mentioned extremely well. I've had black girlfriends. I have some black family.

    D) have you had those conversations?
    With the guy previously mentioned that I know extremely well, we've discussed race a lot, but we never dig extremely deep because I do not feel that would go over well.
  64. #514
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Lets set aside any one-sided things you heard and focus on conversations.

    If you have black family members, then now is a great time to reach out to them and tell them that you have honest questions about what it means to be black in America. Tell them that you want to talk with someone you can trust to hear your questions without judging you, and to provide answers so that you can better understand your own family.


    'Cause your story is not trivial. Neither is theirs.


    When you don't know what something is, you have no basis to judge whether or not it's similar to what you already understand without studying it.

    This is worth studying.

    The world is kinda united in shouting about a single issue for the first time in history.
    It's worth all of us to understand what they're shouting about.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  65. #515
    That's one of the best posts in a long time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •