Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,282,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 383 of 383 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383
Results 28,651 to 28,712 of 28712
  1. #28651
    Oh and Ireland. Sorry Ireland, I just assumed it was the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  2. #28652
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I've been playing since i was 7.

    Segovia, Pepe Romero and Pacu de Lucia are my favourites.
    Oh hey! I didn't know.

    I have 2 guitars, and the only one I've played in the past 10 years is my Classical Ovation.
    I play my bass more than either, though.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  3. #28653
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Oh hey! I didn't know.

    I have 2 guitars, and the only one I've played in the past 10 years is my Classical Ovation.
    I play my bass more than either, though.
    Well well.

    I have a Yamaha G-235S, which is the same one I've had for about 40 years. My parents paid $300 for it back then. Still works.

    http://yahoobuckaroo.blogspot.com/20...al-guitar.html

    Don't know much about guitars, to be honest. Is the Ovation good?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  4. #28654
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    This is not my guitar, but it looks like mine, minus the decades of wear and tear.



    It's not the best, anymore. I'm guessing this was made in the early-mid 70's, based on looks. It was my dad's old guitar.
    It has pretty nasty cracking in the face plate behind the bridge, which has thrown the intonation off.

    I also dropped it on the headstock when I was like 17, and part of it chipped off, but I don't think that has affected the sound at all.

    In general, I love the sound of Ovations. If you have the chance to pick one up to play around with in a guitar store, definitely do it. Even if it's a steel string. They sound great. I've had a few experiences where I'm at an outdoor event and the tone of a guitar hits me before I see it, and I'm like... what is that guitar? It sounds great! Oh... it's an Ovation.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  5. #28655
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,429
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Do you use the TAB thing where it tells you where to put which finger, or just try to copy what you're looking at/copy it by ear?
    Most of the songs I learn are simple enough to learn by ear. For chord melody arrangements I think Ted Greene notation is the most convenient.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  6. #28656
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,429
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Wuf, the movement is waiting for you to join!

    https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/sta...961146369?s=20
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  7. #28657
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    Location
    Finding my game
    On topic:

    On Survivor and Big Brother US only on one occasion each a contestant has tried to offer a split of their winnings as a bargaining tool. On both occasions these parts were not aired.
  8. #28658
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    On topic:

    On Survivor and Big Brother US only on one occasion each a contestant has tried to offer a split of their winnings as a bargaining tool. On both occasions these parts were not aired.
    Interesting. I was wondering about that the other day.
    I've only ever watched Survivor, not Big Brother.

    Seems like if you can strike a deal with your alliance to split the winnings, that would promote a unity that would be hard to break. Doesn't even have to be an even split. The actual winner of the season can take a larger portion, but the others who remain loyal get a cut, too.
    It certainly makes sense to me, given the winner-take-all payout structure.


    Out of curiosity, do you know any more details about the Survivor deal? Like what season / who was involved / did any of them win / if so, did they actually go through with the deal?

    There are a couple pointed examples of people making big deals on Survivor, then not following through when it came time to pay up on the deal. Like a favor now for a favor later, and the later favor didn't happen because the person who received the first favor changed their mind after the fact in a way that would only be described as shitty if it wasn't a game based on lies and deception.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  9. #28659
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    Location
    Finding my game
    I read it on some article, or actually might have been a reddit post, can't find anything to verify it now. On Survivor Nicaragua a contestant apparently offered to pay off another player's mortgage for a vote, and on some other season someone may have offered to buy a motorcycle in return for something. That's all I can find now. Apparently all kinds of quid pro quos have been forbidden in the players' contracts at least since 2010. Makes sense that they'd be banned from doing that, it might kill the whole competition and just become a bidding war.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  10. #28660
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    OK. That makes sense. I'd speculated that there may be something in the contract that says as much, but kinda dropped it because it would be about impossible to enforce. If players can ever get a chance to speak with each other off camera, then they could secretly make an agreement. The show could be over and the money split before the producers could find out about the agreement.


    I know there was one season back when the show awarded a car as a reward for one of the challenges. The guy who won the car offered it to another player in exchange for a very particular favor.
    If both of them were still in the game at final 4, AND IF the player who received the car won the immunity challenge at final 4, then he would give up his immunity to the guy who gave him the car.
    Then that seemingly unlikely event happened, and the guy who accepted the car did not give his immunity to the other guy.
    Ultimately, the guy who gave the car apologized for putting the other guy in such a difficult spot... class act, IMO.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  11. #28661
    https://twitter.com/aybarlyy/status/1273725231140442113

    What's wrong with some people? You get to call them Fuck Boy all the time; it's a golden opportunity!
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  12. #28662
    Phucking hell that's phunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  13. #28663
    I couldn't stop myself...

    Quote Originally Posted by karly the outraged virtue signaler
    Also the name Matthew Hubbard means bitch ass racist motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor bONGwater
    Excuse me, my name is Matthew and I take this as an insult, you're basically saying my name means "bitch ass". Please be more respectful.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  14. #28664
    It's so dumb that the immediate reaction is to escalate the whole thing and make it out like it's a racist hate crime. It's not. It's stupid and insensitive but it's not like he's telling you you have to change your name or something bad will happen to you. It's just some ignorant guy being ignorant. I don't get why some people have to lose their shit over things like that. Get a fucking life.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  15. #28665
    This, on the other hand, is a racist douche being a racist douche. I'm glad he got the sack.

    https://twitter.com/t_fishhh/status/1273815213696057344

    The best part of this is how he tries to be all 'oops, sorry' about it afterwards, like pretending it was an accident. Haha dude there's no coming back from that.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  16. #28666
    Yeah I don't think that guy is racist, but it doesn't hurt to pull the girl to one side and quietly ask her "How do you pronounce your name?". She might appreciate the gesture enough to have a good laugh about how it sounds if mispronounced phonetically.

    That said, people are so fucking quick to be outraged, and it's cost this guy his job. The timing was awful.

    Fuck the second guy, he clearly deserves the sack.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  17. #28667
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Yeah I don't think that guy is racist, but it doesn't hurt to pull the girl to one side and quietly ask her "How do you pronounce your name?". She might appreciate the gesture enough to have a good laugh about how it sounds if mispronounced phonetically.

    That said, people are so fucking quick to be outraged, and it's cost this guy his job. The timing was awful.
    Yeah I mean the first email he is just asking her nicely to anglicize her name. Not something I would do but whatever.

    Then she gets all pissy and he seems to be decide 'well fuck you then' and doubles down, instead of just saying 'sorry I didn't mean to offend you Phuc Bui, it's all good.'
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  18. #28668
    I did laugh at this "eat a dick" comment, highly insensitive but extremely amusing.

    In other news, #BritishLivesMatter is trending on Twitter because tons of people are triggered by the hashtag. It's hilarious. Lots and lots of people saying "why is #BritishLivesMatter trending?". Idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  19. #28669
    I'm currently buying Chris Lilley's back catalog, before he gets deleted from history.

    He got cancelled mostly for this...

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  20. #28670
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    https://www.oceanvoyagesinstitute.org/


    IDK what they're going to do with all the trash, but getting it out of the ocean seems like a good first step.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  21. #28671
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/t...box=1594551993

    If this is what I think it is, it's a story about a woman transitioning to a man, deciding she'd rather be a woman after all, then transitioning back.

    I have a few views on this:

    1. Lol. Typical woman can't make up her mind.

    2. If there isn't currently a Guinness record for higher number of transitions, I think there should be.

    3. In all seriousness, what are we meant to be sensitive to here? I mean, I feel sorry for the person who is that confused, but other than that, is there something I'm supposed to be doing to help? And also, is this a big issue, where someone is being discriminated against for being a back-and-forther? I don't get why this is presented as a touchy feely kind of story where we're meant to do some soul searching about society as opposed to a 'wtf is with this person' story.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  22. #28672
    Time lapse microphotography of a neuron growing dendrites.

    https://twitter.com/LecuitLab/status...91608563814401
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  23. #28673
    idk what the fuck is going on with gender identity. Twitter is a cesspit for this kind of thing. JK Rowling says something along the lines of "I love trans people but the rights of women need to be protected" and the hate mob descend upon her as though she just killed a baby. People think this kind of thinking is literally dangerous because someone who feels upset about it might jump off a bridge. They use words like "torture", and call any woman that doesn't agree with their deluded views on gender identity a "TERF", which ironically means trans exclusive RADICAL feminist, as though JKR is the radical one.

    This is just like racism. If you don't agree completely with the "woke" crowd, you're a bigot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  24. #28674
    There's been something similar going on with Steven Pinker as well recently. Haven't delved into the details, but apparently he said something mildly wrong and now the mob is trying to get him fired from Harvard or MIT or wherever the fuck he is. It's just enough.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  25. #28675
    My biggest problem with this is although I'm very careful about what I say on social media, and I bite my tongue a lot, I can imagine someday being taken the wrong way and having the argggggh crowd get up in my face much easier than I can imagine seeing some flippant remark and feeling justified in using it to get someone sacked.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  26. #28676
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  27. #28677
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Just let individuals set their own boundaries and respect those boundaries.
    There are struggles associated with every human life, and pretending that other people's struggles are the same as yours is almost uniformly incorrect.
    Educate yourself to what the reality behind any discrimination claims are and judge for yourself where you stand.
    Try not to be a jerk, but if you're a jerk, then apologize and be less of a jerk going forward.

    Ignore the idiots and white knight rage junkies and don't worry about their nonsense. Whether or not they're acting in earnest good faith is not a concern. Whether or not you act in earnest good faith is what matters.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  28. #28678
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Just let individuals set their own boundaries and respect those boundaries.
    There are struggles associated with every human life, and pretending that other people's struggles are the same as yours is almost uniformly incorrect.
    Educate yourself to what the reality behind any discrimination claims are and judge for yourself where you stand.
    Try not to be a jerk, but if you're a jerk, then apologize and be less of a jerk going forward.

    Ignore the idiots and white knight rage junkies and don't worry about their nonsense. Whether or not they're acting in earnest good faith is not a concern. Whether or not you act in earnest good faith is what matters.
    Sounds good in principle, but in practice anyone in the public eye (even if they're only there because they've been put there by someone else with an iphone) has to walk on eggshells all the time for fear that someone is going to catch them slipping (or even not slipping) and make a federal case of if in front of the whole world.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  29. #28679
    This cancel culture bullshit doesn't inspire me much to find myself a job. On the contrary, it makes me quite happy I haven't got one. Try cancelling me, dickheads.

    This is quite serious though, this transgender thing. I mean they're talking about toilets right now, but what they really want is sport. When cismales can turn into women and compete with women in elite sports, then women's sport is dead. Little girls will have no incentive to take sport seriously, because they know they will be outcompeted by "women" who were born with dicks. And if we're going as far as to say that it's purely identity, then a man in a dress can claim to be a woman and shit all over their world records.

    And of course, it's very much a problem having a well hung "lady" sharing public showers with teenage girls. Why is the feelings of a trannie more important than the safety of women?

    Hounding people for these very understandable concerns does the opposite of help their cause. It makes people more anti-trans. What is happening is doing more harm than good for the rights of transgender people. There's a backlash, and anti-trans discrimination increases.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  30. #28680
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,429
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    3. In all seriousness, what are we meant to be sensitive to here? I mean, I feel sorry for the person who is that confused, but other than that, is there something I'm supposed to be doing to help? And also, is this a big issue, where someone is being discriminated against for being a back-and-forther? I don't get why this is presented as a touchy feely kind of story where we're meant to do some soul searching about society as opposed to a 'wtf is with this person' story.
    Contrapoints has a pretty insightful video about being a transgender lesbian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7WvHTl_Q7I

    tldw: She has had long periods where she wanted to fit the classic gender role as a woman and felt guilty for being a transgender lesbian. I can imagine that many feel they need to commit to the new gender, feel pressured into surgery, and end up regretting it.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  31. #28681
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,429
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    JK Rowling


    Would it kill her to just not?
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  32. #28682
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This cancel culture bullshit doesn't inspire me much to find myself a job.
    Nothing inspires you to find a job lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    what they really want is sport. When cismales can turn into women and compete with women in elite sports, then women's sport is dead.
    I forget his/her name but there was someone who did exactly that in MMA. There's videos of him/her kicking the shit out of women. Joe Rogan did a video basically saying 'this is bullshit' (ldo) some time ago. I think s/he has been banned now or something.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    And of course, it's very much a problem having a well hung "lady" sharing public showers with teenage girls. Why is the feelings of a trannie more important than the safety of women?
    They should be more worried about some of those female gym teachers really.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Hounding people for these very understandable concerns does the opposite of help their cause. It makes people more anti-trans. What is happening is doing more harm than good for the rights of transgender people. There's a backlash, and anti-trans discrimination increases.
    I mean I don't really care is the thing. It's not like I ever run into a tranny, and if I did I'd just be like 'sure, whatever.' I've had a couple pretty ambiguous students, maybe they were trannies, but it's not like I'm going to say anything rude to them. The whole thing is barely even on my radar until they start raging on social media 'cause someone accidentally called them 'her'. Then I think 'well, some of these are real tards.'
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  33. #28683
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post


    Would it kill her to just not?
    This is why people shouldn't post when they're drunk.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  34. #28684
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,650
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    How the fuck was twitter mass hacked like that?

    For the uninitiated, what just happened should not be possible. It's absolute madness!

    This probably means CHANGE YOUR FUCKING TWITTER PASSWORD now. It had to have been a password database breach, there is just no other way unless they a) possess a quantum supercomputer or b) it's an inside job. Also, enable 2FA yesterday. Go.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  35. #28685
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,650
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    The reason why you should change your TWITTER password (and everywhere else you might be using it, which if true, also indicates you're an internet sec dumb-ass and therefore prime hacking target) is that the way this hack happened, a large amount of other account passwords that were in use on twitter.com are now out in the wild. It really has to be a password database breach. Probably there were too busy smelling their own farts over at twitter to remember to practice proper back-end security hygiene.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  36. #28686
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,650
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  37. #28687
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I'm back to work, back in my office, doing physics again.

    Feels good to be out of the house. There are no faculty in the building, though. It's just me, a couple of staff in the physics office, and the machine shop guys downstairs, AFAICT. It's so quiet, and there's nothing to give me a sense of urgency or deadlines or accountability. Normally that's not an issue for me, as I'm mostly self-motivated and kinda resent being micromanaged. However, I'm finding it hard to get back into the mindset of "productive employee" so far.

    I know it will pass as I spend more time at work and get back into the pattern of spending my time constructively, but it's weird so far, is all. I daydream too much, and find myself avoiding actual work because, in part, I know that no one will bust me for it.

    It's nice to not be stressed out by a sudden change of my life's pace, but also kinda feels bad to not just naturally bounce back immediately.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  38. #28688
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  39. #28689
    A very British image... emergency services prepare to repair a damaged dam, which could give way and flood a town at any minute.

    Always time for a cuppa.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  40. #28690
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,650
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    This is delicious AF and easy to make

    https://www.thespruceeats.com/cuban-roast-pork-4691717
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  41. #28691
    So had a debate of sorts* with someone on twitter over whether this guy was being racist or not. This all based on his first post, up to where his gf calls him a racist.


    https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssho..._was_cheating/

    My view: He's definitely ignorant and an asshole in a stupid kind of way where someone doesn't have the sense to see when they're wrong, but you can't assume he's racist based on OP alone.

    Thoughts?


    *I say of sorts, because the person I was arguing with just kept insisting the guy was racist and threw his toys out of the pram and blocked me when I dared to suggest he was leaping to a conclusion without direct evidence.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  42. #28692
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    IDK why race is even being brought up as an issue. Because he said something ignorant about India?
    India is a country, and Indian people are of all races.

    Do they mean racist not to mean specifically bigoted about race, but any bigotry?
    'Cause his ignorance that English is one of the primary languages in India (a nation with hundreds of spoken languages), and his typical male ego are the faults, here. Whether or not he's also racist is not evidenced at all in the reddit post.


    Who's to say he's not really sexist, though? Maybe he just bites his tongue and doesn't say anything if it's a man, but since Priya is a woman, he feels the right to call her a cheat. Or maybe he felt that right because Priya has brown skin and he is, in fact, racist. There's just not enough info to tell based on his clearly biased recounting of the story.

    The idiot criticizes the word "ostensibly" as an odd word, so he's not exactly the wordsmith he thinks he is. Furthermore, the way he says he "jokingly" said he knew she was cheating, then went on to defend his position is a typical red flag of a gaslighting jerk.


    Not necessarily a reason to break up with him. We know nothing about his GF and maybe she's just as much of a gaslighting troll and they deserve each other. Her whole passive aggressive, "I'm reconsidering our relationship" angle isn't exactly good adulting, either.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  43. #28693
    Yup, pretty much where I stood on it. Reddit guy seems like an idiot more than anything.

    Even if you argue "Indian" is a race, he never said anything against Indians, so he may be racist, but concluding that based solely on the fact he was an asshole to a person of colour is just looking for an excuse to find racism.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  44. #28694
    Funny though, if you scroll through the reddit replies, "racist" is a pretty common conclusion there as well.

    Looks like Ong was finally right about something. A lot of people really don't know what the word racist means.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  45. #28695
    Looks like Ong was finally right about something. A lot of people really don't know what the word racist means.
    You can be guilty of this, too. I must admit though, it's nice to see you being critical when it comes to allegations of racism, instead of knee jerking.

    It's not so bad when people say racism when they mean xenophobia, even though they are not the same thing. At least both are a form of bigotry. But assuming an Indian girl will be inferior to you at scrabble, chances are this guy is just a bad loser. He's probably trying to convince himself she's cheating because that's easier to accept than losing at Scrabble to some Indian girl. It doesn't have to be racist at all, I assume the same would apply if it were a white French girl. Sexism is more likely, but even that's an assumption.

    I doubt the girl was cheating. Indians speak English, although often it's a hybrid, but they teach it at school and some of their schools are outstanding. I suspect there's also a level of ignorance about Indian culture, like it's easy to assume it's a third world shithole, but that's not quite true. Of course, there are lots of poor people living in slums, but if your family is wealthy in India, you're likely to enjoy a good education with high chances of social success. Perhaps our idiot isn't quite aware of this.

    Ignorant, bad loser, sexist, all these seem more likely than racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  46. #28696
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You can be guilty of this, too.
    Possibly.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I must admit though, it's nice to see you being critical when it comes to allegations of racism, instead of knee jerking.
    The logical part of my brain has always been at odds with the idea that anything involving people of different races interacting in a negative way was automatically a sign of racism.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    It's not so bad when people say racism when they mean xenophobia, even though they are not the same thing. At least both are a form of bigotry. But assuming an Indian girl will be inferior to you at scrabble, chances are this guy is just a bad loser. He's probably trying to convince himself she's cheating because that's easier to accept than losing at Scrabble to some Indian girl. It doesn't have to be racist at all, I assume the same would apply if it were a white French girl. Sexism is more likely, but even that's an assumption.
    Like Mojo said it could have been any girl for all we know and he might still react the same. Or even any person. Maybe he thought he was a Scrabble God and when someone burst his bubble his ego needed some way to explain it away.




    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I doubt the girl was cheating.
    She went to the bathroom once during the whole game for 3 minutes, but in reddit guy's mind she looked up every word in the dictionary while she was there and remembered them all. It's pretty ludicrous.





    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Indians speak English, although often it's a hybrid, but they teach it at school and some of their schools are outstanding. I suspect there's also a level of ignorance about Indian culture, like it's easy to assume it's a third world shithole, but that's not quite true. Of course, there are lots of poor people living in slums, but if your family is wealthy in India, you're likely to enjoy a good education with high chances of social success. Perhaps our idiot isn't quite aware of this.

    Ignorant, bad loser, sexist, all these seem more likely than racist.

    It's funny because the initial knee-jerk reaction on twitter assuming he was a racist was from an Indian guy who I otherwise respect, and who isn't what I'd consider a snowflake victim type. When I said it's just as possible reddit guy was ignorant and there's no evidence in OP he was being racist per se, a different (black) guy I don't know jumped in and said it was totally racist. I calmly outlined why I thought evidence of racism was lacking, at which point he basically accused me of sticking up for white racist people, and that he wouldn't argue with a white person about racism.

    I pointed out that I'm not strictly white, and so if he liked he could argue with the non-white portion of me instead. I added it's a problem what you guys are saying here because accusing people of racism without evidence makes things worse, not better. I could have added that he was sounding a bit racist himself, but I didn't want to go down that road. Then he blocked me lol.

    No-one else tried to argue with me, even the Indian guy. It was just this one guy who must have been having a bad day and had a bit of a meltdown. Or maybe he's been the victim of racism so much he sees it everywhere whether it's there or not. Anyways, whatever.

    I'm half inclined to start an AITA thread on reddit myself over this, just to see how many people call me a racist.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  47. #28697
    It's funny because the initial knee-jerk reaction on twitter assuming he was a racist was from an Indian guy who I otherwise respect, and who isn't what I'd consider a snowflake victim type. When I said it's just as possible reddit guy was ignorant and there's no evidence in OP he was being racist per se, a different (black) guy I don't know jumped in and said it was totally racist. I calmly outlined why I thought evidence of racism was lacking, at which point he basically accused me of sticking up for white racist people, and that he wouldn't argue with a white person about racism.
    At the risk of bringing politics into this, you describe here exactly how the left engage in debate on Twitter, and presumably Reddit. It's this kind of activity that caused me to drift away from left-leaning politics. I know you guys think I'm right wing, and compared to you lot, I am, but I'm more left leaning than the average right winger. But I was seeing a problem with the way left wing politics was evolving, I could see it becoming an argument that basically said "agree with me or you're a cunt". It became a moral crusade. I'm not in the business of morally judging others, largely because I'm a flawed human being and I understand morality is subjective.

    I despise identity politics. Unfortunately I also think it's inevitable in a democracy, so I don't really have any solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  48. #28698
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I could see it becoming an argument that basically said "agree with me or you're a cunt".
    To be fair, I think there's people on both sides who take that attitude. If you picked 100 random left-wing and 100 random right-wing people on twitter and disagreed (or pretended to disagree) with their politics, I suspect roughly the same number on each side would be like that. Can't prove it of course, but there's an exp't for you. But, I also think that number would be comparatively low, like maybe 10/100.*

    The problem as I see it is the perception one has of people on the 'other side' is based on who reacts to you. People who are tolerant of dissent don't jump in other's convos to rant at people and foam at the mouth, they more likely just think 'hmmm, hadn't looked at it that way' or 'i don't really agree but not a hill i wanna die on' or whatever and say nothing. But when 99/100 of the people that DO react are these righteous dickheads you get the impression that the other side is full of righteous dickheads.

    Most of my comments on twitter are in line with left-wing liberal views, and most of the dickheads I encounter are not surprisingly right-wing. That doesn't mean there's not a lot of reasonable right-wingers out there, it's just that the dickheads amongst them are the ones who will jump and be dickheads.

    In this case, my comment was pretty moderate, but superficially at least beared more resemblance to something a right-winger would say if the reddit guy had in fact been acting racist. And so this time, I attracted a left-wing dickhead. I also looked at the analytics and 50 or so people read my tweet, presumably mostly left-wingers and a fair number of POC based on it being posted by the Indian guy I mentioned, and only that one dickhead said anything at all.

    * Edit: This is actually probably too high. It could be really low, like <1% for all I know.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 09-17-2020 at 09:13 AM.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  49. #28699
    The problem as I see it is the perception one has of people on the 'other side' is based on who reacts to you. People who are tolerant of dissent don't jump in other's convos to rant at people and foam at the mouth, they more likely just think 'hmmm, hadn't looked at it that way' or 'i don't really agree but not a hill i wanna die on' or whatever and say nothing. But when 99/100 of the people that DO react are these righteous dickheads you get the impression that the other side is full of righteous dickheads.
    There's probably a great deal of accuracy to this. Also, Twitter is infested with righteous dickheads, certainly more than 1%. And I don't doubt I've been successfully trolled on more than one occasion. I mean, I pretend to be a righteous dickhead sometimes, to bait people into an argument. I tell people I'm transgender so I can pretend to have moral authority against all the retards screaming at JK Rowling for basically being a feminist. I must have been baited too. But I think for the most part, those screaming on social media (on both sides) are somewhat more honest than I am, and somehow less mature, because they only seem to know schoolyard tactics when it comes to debate... insult, lie, block, gang up, cry, what you say is what you are, I'm telling on you, my Dad is bigger than your Dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  50. #28700
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    There's probably a great deal of accuracy to this. Also, Twitter is infested with righteous dickheads, certainly more than 1%
    I know a lot of people on twitter and the vast vast majority of them are willing to show their stripes but at the same time are not on there looking for a fight with the nearest righteous dickhead on the other side. If anything they're looking for people to agree with them and echo-chamber them, discuss work or family or sports or whatever, and share their jokes. Only rarely do I see one of them get into a serious kerfuffle with anyone over politics, and if they do it's because someone comes from out of nowhere and attacks their views in a way that's so personal and obnoxious they feel they have to defend themselves.

    This is what makes twitter so toxic imo. It's like you're sitting at a table with all your friends, but with a rule that you have to leave empty seats at the table, so at any moment one or more drunk assholes can sit down and make everyone's life miserable.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  51. #28701
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    Location
    Finding my game
    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR...AAAAAQAQ&hl=en

    The juicy stuff starts at around 42 mins. Worth the trip.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  52. #28702
    ^ Which one of the videos is it?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  53. #28703
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    Location
    Finding my game
    The first one, 516.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  54. #28704
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    Location
    Finding my game
    When a pesticide is approved for use, how many other plants and animals are tested for effects?
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  55. #28705
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    The first one, 516.
    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    When a pesticide is approved for use, how many other plants and animals are tested for effects?
    You're hoping there's an expert on pesticide testing on FTR?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  56. #28706
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    You're hoping there's an expert on pesticide testing on FTR?
    I'd be happy to hear I'm wrong. Either way, I'd think that the number is significantly lower than all of them. How do they know it's not gonna kill a few extra species? Shouldn't that be kinda relevant info though?
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  57. #28707
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    I'd be happy to hear I'm wrong. Either way, I'd think that the number is significantly lower than all of them. How do they know it's not gonna kill a few extra species? Shouldn't that be kinda relevant info though?
    Depends what it's being used for I imagine. If you're spraying a wheat field you might not be too bothered about what else dies as long as it's not the wheat (assuming your priority is to maximize the yield).

    I'm guessing they also have some fairly sophisticated understanding of biology, like how we understand there are certain chemicals that are bad for all animals (e.g., cynaide, strychnine, antifreeze), and other things that are bad for some animals but not all of them (e.g., chocolate and dogs, penicillin and bacteria). So maybe pesticide X is bad for knapweed but not for wheat? Dunno.

    There's also the dosage, where if you give the same amount of a pesticide to a tree vs. a weed the latter is small enough for it to be fatal but the tree can shrug it off.

    There was the tail end of a big scandal about DDT when I was a kid because it harmed nearly everything but the crop it was being used to protect, plant and animal, so it obviously wasn't properly tested before they brought it out. But that was like 50 years ago so I assume testing standards are higher now.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  58. #28708
    If any of you guys are looking for a broken hair dryer, let me know and I'll hook you up!

    From my local community forum:

    Hair dryers. My hair dryer stopped working and when I reached for my old one - though it's working it's making an unhealthy noise so I don't think it's safe to use and I'm going to buy a new one.

    Is anyone interested to take these off my hands?
    Posted in General To 16 neighbourhoods
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  59. #28709
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    There's a part of me that always hesitates whenever I throw away an otherwise broken device that still has a working motor.

    Things sometimes break, but the motor is fine, and it feels so wrong to throw away a perfectly good motor.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  60. #28710
    Maybe, but I think it'd have to be something with a bit more value for me to think it's worth salvaging, not a motor from a £30 hair dryer.

    Either that or I'd already have to own something to install the working motor into that didn't require major modifications. Which pretty much means another hair dryer of the same make and model.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  61. #28711
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,149
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    "Guys, let's not lose sight of what's important, here. The way a dog wags its tail so hard that it can't keep both hind legs on the floor when it greets you coming home from work every day. That's what's important."
    -some rando in a discord comment that kinda made my day
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  62. #28712
    More dogs, less people.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •