Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,287,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 400 of 402 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400401402 LastLast
Results 29,926 to 30,000 of 30104
  1. #29926
    Custard is weird. It's utterly disgusting cold, it absolutely has to be hot, and its purpose is as a sauce, not a filling or a main flavour.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  2. #29927
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    it was deeply upsetting to see poop explain pudding as a less sweet nutella.
    reductio ad puddingum.

    I was trying to explain it in reference to the consistency. I did say it was less sweet than nutella, but it was more the idea that you could eat it with a spoon I was getting at.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  3. #29928
    In any case, when it comes to the English language, the English are always right. It's USA who are wrong. They're the ones misusing the word "pudding".
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  4. #29929
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Custard is weird. It's utterly disgusting cold, it absolutely has to be hot, and its purpose is as a sauce, not a filling or a main flavour.
    You are simply wrong. Objectively. Scientifically.
    Go get your taste buds fixed or smth.
    SMH




    Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is a St Louis favorite. Don't make me kidnap you and bring you to the soup bowl that is St Louis mid-summer and force delicious frozen custard down your Bri'ish throat.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  5. #29930
    Frozen custard? I'll be polite. No, thank you. You can keep it.

    They have regular fruit ice cream, right? Strawberry, raspberry, either or.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  6. #29931
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Not at Ted Drewes, no... but there's plenty of ice cream parlors around.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  7. #29932
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,254
    Location
    Finding my game
    Frozen custard sounds like a sumptuous name for ice cream.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  8. #29933
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Not at Ted Drewes, no... but there's plenty of ice cream parlors around.
    Honestly, I find it kind of astonishing that you even have places like this. I assumed Ted Drewes would be serving a variety of fast food or desserts, but nah, just frozen custard. Like, who goes to eat just custard? It's a dessert, not a meal!

    I'm probably being a bit kneejerky with regards frozen custard though. It's basically ice cream with eggs, best I can tell. Just looking at the menu, would probably try the Strawberry Shortcake one.

    My idea of custard is a runny, vanilla hot sauce. But it seems like even the cream in an eclair counts as custard. I definitely like eclairs.

    We also have savoury custard in things like quiche, that shit is disgusting. It's cold, not sweet, horrible texture, it's just nasty.

    But What Ted Drewes is selling, probably not as bad as I think it'll be. If it's sweet and fruity, chances are it's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  9. #29934
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,254
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    It's basically ice cream with eggs, best I can tell.
    All ice creams have egg, unless it's some vegan thingy.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  10. #29935
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    All ice creams have egg, unless it's some vegan thingy.
    Beat me to it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  11. #29936
    Ice cream doesn't have eggs by definition, but they can be added and it's still ice cream. I had to look it up.

    Wikipedia says this about frozen custard...

    Frozen custard is a cold dessert similar to ice cream, but made with eggs in addition to cream and sugar.
    So that's why I thought ice cream doesn't have eggs. I've never made the stuff though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  12. #29937
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Honestly, I find it kind of astonishing that you even have places like this. I assumed Ted Drewes would be serving a variety of fast food or desserts, but nah, just frozen custard. Like, who goes to eat just custard? It's a dessert, not a meal!
    I mean... an ice cream parlor doesn't sell actual food, either, or it'd be a restaurant, not an ice-cream parlor.
    (I think. I'm not an expert on what food sellers call themselves, actually.)
    There are a few fancy French or Italian pastry shops that specialize in fancy desserts, but which also have a limited menu of soups and sandwiches. Expensive, but gourmet desserts. Like $7 for a Tiramisu, but that Tiramisu will melt your legs and make you sad that it will not last forever while you consume the pure bliss.

    Ted Drewes is exclusively a walk-up shop without any customer seating and frankly, minimal shade spots even. There are only 2 locations in the city and both are the same in this regard.

    For all it sounds like it's the worst, it's actually great. There's usually a crowd and a party vibe 'cause eating frozen custard on a hot, humid day is great for all ages.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I'm probably being a bit kneejerky with regards frozen custard though. It's basically ice cream with eggs, best I can tell. Just looking at the menu, would probably try the Strawberry Shortcake one.
    Excellent choice. Is a good one.

    It's basically ice cream that is slightly richer in flavor and heavier in texture, but only slightly, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    My idea of custard is a runny, vanilla hot sauce. But it seems like even the cream in an eclair counts as custard. I definitely like eclairs.
    custard eclairs >> cream eclairs

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    We also have savoury custard in things like quiche, that shit is disgusting. It's cold, not sweet, horrible texture, it's just nasty.

    But What Ted Drewes is selling, probably not as bad as I think it'll be. If it's sweet and fruity, chances are it's good.
    One of my other euro friends convinced me to try a savory french toast and I did. It was not good, but I take the blame on making mistakes in my first attempt that I could correct if I try it again.
    I mean... eggs, onions, garlic, peppers, toast... that's a tried and true combo. Putting it all together into a savory french toast does seem like it has merit.

    The notion of savory custard feel foreign to me. Unless Hollandaise Sauce qualifies, then I guess I have a reference point for how it could work.


    Ted Drewes is a local thing mostly. IDK if frozen custard is popular outside of St Louis. It's not really something I look for on vacations.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  13. #29938
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Beat me to it.
    badum tiss
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  14. #29939
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    All ice creams have egg, unless it's some vegan thingy.
    In general, I don't see egg on the ingredients list for ice creams that are sold in the supermarket.
    IDK if the local parlors are putting egg in theirs.

    When we make ice cream with liquid Nitrogen at physics meetings, we don't use eggs. Just 1 qt half-and-half (that's half milk half cream) and 1/2 cup sugar with 2 Tbsp of vanilla extract. Then stir while a friend pours in LN2 until it sets up in about 30 seconds.

    Is delicious, though flat in a way (I think 'cause we need to add like a tsp of salt to it), but you can put whatever toppings on it you like which rounds it out.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  15. #29940
    Creme brulee is a custard, flan is a custard-- hot custard sauces are actually relatively uncommon in the US. Not that they don't exist, but you're much more likely to find some sort of fruit, chocolate, or caramel sauces on a desert. The french actually call what Ong is describing Anglaise, so I guess it'd make sense that it's a British thing.

    Hollandaise is not a custard, there is no milk/cream, it's essentially a mayonnaise made at a temperature that has the yolk partially congeal. Hollandaise is egg yolk, clarified butter, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and sometimes a bit of cayenne.

    On Nutella: poop, you're woefully wrong, sorry. Nutella is a chocolate flavored nutbutter. It has added fat in the form of palm oil which makes it smoother, but it has the consistency of a slightly smoother peanut butter. It has a stickiness and a pastiness that makes it a really bad analog for describing custard.
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  16. #29941
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post

    On Nutella: poop, you're woefully wrong, sorry. Nutella is a chocolate flavored nutbutter. It has added fat in the form of palm oil which makes it smoother, but it has the consistency of a slightly smoother peanut butter. It has a stickiness and a pastiness that makes it a really bad analog for describing custard.
    I was describing pudding, not custard, to a person who thinks "pudding" means "any dessert."
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  17. #29942
    This is surprising, even coming from China: Taking a tennis star away for...re-education?... basically minutes after she levels charges of sexual abuse against a top official.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-59325399
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  18. #29943
    Speaking of surprises, I have to admit I didn't think the world could get any more fucked up than in Tiger King. But now there's a season 2 and it's even crazier.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  19. #29944
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I was describing pudding, not custard, to a person who thinks "pudding" means "any dessert."
    *sigh* pudding is a form of custard, and smooth chocolate nut butter is not a good analog for any form of custard.
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  20. #29945
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,254
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Ice cream doesn't have eggs by definition, but they can be added and it's still ice cream. I had to look it up.
    Huh, TIL. Pretty much every ice cream recipe has eggs, the ones that don't are specifically vegan or some quicker shortcut version. I guess in commercial ice cream they use other cheaper stuff as emulsifiers.

    As an aside, if you like ice cream, get an ice cream maker. Homemade is so much better after you manage to nail the base recipe. Fresh strawberries with some vanilla liquor, espresso-cognac-stroopwafel and marzipan-maraschino are my masterpieces.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  21. #29946
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    *sigh* pudding is a form of custard,
    *sigh*?

    Try to be a bit less condescending huh?

    I don't agree with you, but I don't care enough to keep having this back-and-forth over it. So fine, whatever you say.


    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    smooth chocolate nut butter is not a good analog for any form of custard.
    See above.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  22. #29947
    As much as I like ice cream, I don't eat much of it largely because we don't have long summers here. It's not something I like to eat in November.

    Pretty much mid June to the end of July. That's our ice cream season.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #29948
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I mean that time of year in St Louis, the temp. is upwards of 100 F (over 37 C), and the humidity is YES.
    The city is at the confluence of 2 major rivers and at midday, the air turns into soup for a while.
    It's slightly better after the sun goes down.

    I can see why liking a rich, cold treat is more popular here than there.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  24. #29949
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  25. #29950
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Huh, TIL. Pretty much every ice cream recipe has eggs, the ones that don't are specifically vegan or some quicker shortcut version. I guess in commercial ice cream they use other cheaper stuff as emulsifiers.

    As an aside, if you like ice cream, get an ice cream maker. Homemade is so much better after you manage to nail the base recipe. Fresh strawberries with some vanilla liquor, espresso-cognac-stroopwafel and marzipan-maraschino are my masterpieces.
    Yeah, I was surprised to realize this too-- my guess is that it wasn't a defined term until after alternative stabilizers/emulsifiers/food sciencey stuff was being employed in large scale production, or it was defined as a frozen custard and the big ice cream makers had enough push to inclusively define ice cream.

    (if you didnt know, it might help to know: many food stuffs have legal definitions and foods that do not fall into the defined term cannot be labeled or sold as that term.)

    Making your own ice cream:
    If money is no issue, this is how you flex on home chef plebes




    Spinning at 2000 rpm, the Paco Jet only cost about $3.25/rpm
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  26. #29951
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,254
    Location
    Finding my game
    Looks totally necessary and practical and I want one.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  27. #29952
    My dog is a big, strong, healthy labrador. As most people know, labs were specifically bred to work in cold water, retrieving nets for fishermen.

    Still, once every so often someone in the local park will see my labrador swimming in a pond and act like someone threw a baby into the water. I mean he's swimming around enjoying himself chasing a stick or ball or whatever and someone comes on the scene and concludes that he must be drowning and they'll run over to "help" him out of the water. I have to explain to them that he's actually enjoying being in water and that he's not in the slightest danger. And they just look at me puzzled and say something like "Oh, I thought he was in trouble!" It's like they have no idea dogs know how to swim, never mind a dog that was actually bred to swim.

    This happened again today.

    Why are there so many fucking idiots in the world, and why do I have to keep running into them?


    /rant
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  28. #29953
    Just let them "save" him, so they get soaked. Wait until after to tell them he's a perfectly capable swimmer and was having fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  29. #29954
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Let them "save" him, then throw another stick/ball into the lake and send the dog back in.

    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  30. #29955
    Just let them "save" him, so they get soaked. Wait until after to tell them he's a perfectly capable swimmer and was having fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Let them "save" him, then throw another stick/ball into the lake and send the dog back in.

    Haha, I like this idea.

    Rinse and repeat. See how many times they will rescue him.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  31. #29956
    Yeah, fk those idiots trying to help...
  32. #29957
    The problem is when stupid people try to help. Sometimes stupid people are better off knowing they're stupid and letting the world pass them by.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  33. #29958
    Sounds like you're one of the people I give a bollocking to in the park.
  34. #29959
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Yeah, fk those idiots trying to help...
    I get their intentions are good. It's just fucking stupid, and I have to deal with them being all upset and causing a bunch of drama 'cause they don't know what the average eight year old knows.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  35. #29960
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Sounds like you're one of the people I give a bollocking to in the park.
    You're the guy who posts regular updates on the local facebook group, taking photos of people who don't pick up their dog shit and shaming them. You make sure everyone in the neighbourhood knows there's a guy in a high viz jacket looking at houses. You complain about fireworks frightening the horses, even though you don't have horses. That's you, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  36. #29961
    If it were just me and the idiot in the park it would be one thing, but they tend to make a scene and draw the attention of a couple more people who come over to see what all the fuss is about. Once or twice it's snowballed into there being two or three people trying to rescue my dog because one idiot has convinced some other idiots that he's on the verge of going under, when all he's trying to do is chase a ball ffs.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  37. #29962
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You're the guy who posts regular updates on the local facebook group, taking photos of people who don't pick up their dog shit and shaming them. You make sure everyone in the neighbourhood knows there's a guy in a high viz jacket looking at houses. You complain about fireworks frightening the horses, even though you don't have horses. That's you, isn't it?
    Ha, no. Not least because I've not got any social media accounts. That sounds more like the weird PRSE teacher at my school who lived opposite the park and seemed obsessed with teenagers drinking, fighting, shagging and smoking weed. There's a lot of moronic dog owners out there though who frequent my local park.
  38. #29963
    Been getting into scambaiting videos on youtube, mostly Scambaiter and Jim Browning. I mostly watch it for the Indian trash talking, they're fucking hilarious.

    Common Hindi insults...
    sisterfucker
    son of a whore
    sister's dick
    brother in law
    fuck your cousin
    motherfucker

    They really like family-based insults. Not sure why "brother in law" is an insult, apparently you have to say it right, in Hindi.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  39. #29964
    If ever I go to Japan, I'm gonna have to get me some nicestick.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  40. #29965
    It's a baguette.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  41. #29966
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Ha, no. Not least because I've not got any social media accounts.
    He posts on a social media platform.

    -.-

    I'm on to you, beans.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  42. #29967
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Been getting into scambaiting videos on youtube, mostly Scambaiter and Jim Browning. I mostly watch it for the Indian trash talking, they're fucking hilarious.

    Common Hindi insults...
    sisterfucker
    son of a whore
    sister's dick
    brother in law
    fuck your cousin
    motherfucker

    They really like family-based insults. Not sure why "brother in law" is an insult, apparently you have to say it right, in Hindi.
    I clicked on a couple of these in my recommendations recently and enjoyed them. The youtube algorithm knows me better than I know myself.

    India has a very interesting culture still, with the caste system and utmost respect for hierarchy. It's weird being referred to as "sir" when I speak to people in Delhi for work sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    He posts on a social media platform.

    -.-

    I'm on to you, beans.
    I suppose it is, albeit without real names. I just don't associate special interest forums as social media. This, some other poker sites and a football fan forum are my limit, but I'm going to have to give in to LinkedIn sooner or later. I'm amazed I've managed to go this long without ridiculing people in the youtube comments section.
  43. #29968
    Quote Originally Posted by bean
    India has a very interesting culture still, with the caste system and utmost respect for hierarchy. It's weird being referred to as "sir" when I speak to people in Delhi for work sometimes.
    Yeah India looks amazing. It's a shame the scammers give India a bad international reputation, but it's also interesting when these scambaiters talk to scammers. You start to understand that the scammers have a human side too. That's not to excuse their career choices, but you have to acknowledge that life is not easy in Kolkata. To a certain degree, many of the scammers are victims themselves. But at the same time, you've got to be a sociopath to be able to do that job. But that's easier if you live in a place where you don't have a welfare safety net. If you can convince yourself it's a matter of survival, it's easier to sleep at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  44. #29969
    btw I might be a waster but I have great ideas. Here's one that will never happen...

    Jim Browning the Musical - a Bollywood comedy about scammers in India.

    I want a song called "Sisterfucker" which is obviously Indian trash talk in song. Jim Browning will be the main scambaiter, he's feared like Keyser Soze, but we'll also have Vladimir, #1 Russian Hacker. The regular phone scammers will have a human side, singing about their ambitions and shame, the men will insult and fear the scambaiters but the girls will have a crush on them (I've heard girl scammers giggling flirtatiously with scambaiters), there's gotta be a love story in there somewhere, the people who run the call centres will be cast as evil criminals, and we can't forget the corrupt and incompetent police. There's definitely a film to be made here.

    Shame I can't write, act, direct, or do anything related to film making other than smoke weed and think of ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  45. #29970
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  46. #29971
    The goons who choose names for virus variants seem to have inadvertently chosen an anagram of "No Crimbo".

    Crimbo is a British slang word for Christmas.

    Good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  47. #29972
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The goons who choose names for virus variants seem to have inadvertently chosen an anagram of "No Crimbo".

    Crimbo is a British slang word for Christmas.

    Good work.


    I mean you know "omicron" is just a letter of the greek alphabet, right? Looks mysteriously like the letter O.
    I hope they don't skip the next letter. Then we get the Pi-variant.

    EDIT: I can't help but notice there's no 'b' in omicron.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  48. #29973
    Its official name is Omicron (B.1.1.529)

    There's your B
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  49. #29974
    For a worldwide organisation, the goons who name variants are surprisingly focussed on trolling the speakers of some obscure British dialect via anagram.

    More interesting is that they skipped 'Xi', since that's the Chinese president-guy's name.

    Skipping 'nu' was a no brainer imo.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  50. #29975
    I did day "inadvertently" in an effort to make clear I'm not going down batshit conspiracy theory rabbit holes of the illuminati trolling us. It's pretty obviously a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  51. #29976
    I'm more interested in what corner of the UK version of the hills from Deliverance you use the word "Crimbo" in. I've lived in the UK a long time and I've never heard anyone use it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  52. #29977
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post

    More interesting is that they skipped 'Xi', since that's the Chinese president-guy's name.
    ugh, this is clearly lose lose.

    The fact they also skipped nu shows that either they are simply safeguarding the naming convention's feature of distinguishing variants without conveying any other values, or they had the foresight to skip this one first as cover for covering for Xi.
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  53. #29978
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I'm more interested in what corner of the UK version of the hills from Deliverance you use the word "Crimbo" in. I've lived in the UK a long time and I've never heard anyone use it.
    I think it's fairly common, rather than a regional thing. Maybe you just don't hang out with commoners. Do you know what a bog is? The shitter? Or do you use the word "latrine"?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  54. #29979
    btw it's a myth that people use Cockney Rhyming slang, at least the famous ones. I've never hear the stairs referred to as "apples and pears".

    People do use rhyming slang to swear though. For example... Jeremy Hunt has the distinction of being an even bigger James Blunt than James Blunt himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  55. #29980
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I think it's fairly common, rather than a regional thing.
    How do you know when you never leave your region?



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Maybe you just don't hang out with commoners.
    You got me there. I spend all my free time with Jacob Rees-Mogg.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Do you know what a bog is? The shitter? Or do you use the word "latrine"?
    Yes, and I know almost all the other slang terms you use as well. That's what makes me think Crimbo is regional.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  56. #29981
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    btw it's a myth that people use Cockney Rhyming slang, at least the famous ones. I've never hear the stairs referred to as "apples and pears".

    People do use rhyming slang to swear though. For example... Jeremy Hunt has the distinction of being an even bigger James Blunt than James Blunt himself.
    I've never heard anyone use it, except as a joke or in gangster movies. I wouldn't be surprised that even cockneys don't use it, but I don't spend a lot of time in East London so will have to take your word.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  57. #29982
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    ugh, this is clearly lose lose.

    The fact they also skipped nu shows that either they are simply safeguarding the naming convention's feature of distinguishing variants without conveying any other values, or they had the foresight to skip this one first as cover for covering for Xi.
    I think they skipped nu because the next variant would be a "new" variant it would turn into an Abbott and Costello routine - "nu's on first?"
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  58. #29983
    Best theory I've heard so far as to why they chose Omicron: It's named after a transformer (kids' toy) that is a "decepticon."

    https://tfumux.fandom.com/wiki/Omicron
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  59. #29984
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The goons who choose names for virus variants seem to have inadvertently chosen an anagram of "No Crimbo".

    Crimbo is a British slang word for Christmas.

    Good work.
    That and "moronic".

    Crimbo is occasionally used where I'm based in the South East.
  60. #29985
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I got called out for jokingly calling someone a scrub today, and I was like, WTF? Scrub's not even an insult.

    Then they explained that scrub is a legit insult in the UK. Like calling someone a prostitute or smth.

    TIL.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  61. #29986
    Scrub? Crimbo? Huh?

    I obviously gotta get out more.

    Oh yeah, covid. Well, maybe next Crimbo.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  62. #29987
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I got called out for jokingly calling someone a scrub today, and I was like, WTF? Scrub's not even an insult.

    Then they explained that scrub is a legit insult in the UK. Like calling someone a prostitute or smth.

    TIL.
    Not sure why you would get called out for a UK insult, but is scrub in the US like the scrub in that TLC tune? Scrub isn't used in the UK anymore as far as I know. Even then, it was scrubber and not shortened to scrub.

    Probably best to avoid any jokes and nicknames in the workplace these days.
  63. #29988
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    Not sure why you would get called out for a UK insult, but is scrub in the US like the scrub in that TLC tune? Scrub isn't used in the UK anymore as far as I know. Even then, it was scrubber and not shortened to scrub.

    Probably best to avoid any jokes and nicknames in the workplace these days.
    Oh, it was in a discord channel, not at work. International community.
    Also, perhaps just a mod getting uppity with me for being a general shit-poster and calling someone a scrub for calling COVID a virus. Which, fair play to 'em. (Turns out they are a virologist, anyway, and were like... "don't fuckin' school me on this, I'm trying to use common language to talk about a sensitive topic with idiots I dearly want to educate." in a DM. Lol.)

    I meant "scrub" like as if to call them a poopyhead or smth. On the face of it, that's an insult, but it's so corny and childish as to be totally non-offensive.

    Yeah, like in the TLC song. I forgot about that one.


    Anyway. Interesting to know that it's an archaic term and that it's not even scrub, but scrubber.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  64. #29989
    Only time I've ever heard the word "scrubber" as an insult is in Monty Python's Life of Brian, which was made in 1979 I think. It's a pretty outdated word.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  65. #29990
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,715
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    sounds like something a scrubber would say
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  66. #29991
    So outdated a word is it, I don't know what it means, so unfortunately I cannot confirm if I am or am not a scrubber.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  67. #29992
    Here's a hint for you, scrubber

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  68. #29993
    So you're accusing me of being employed? Outrageous.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  69. #29994
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,647
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  70. #29995
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  71. #29996
    How funny would it be if the guy is telling the truth and he legitimately fell over and landed arse down on an anti-tank artillery shell? Poor bastard has everyone thinking he's a pervert.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  72. #29997
    Apologies if anyone hasn't seen the film yet and intended to...

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  73. #29998
    This bird knows his rights.



    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  74. #29999
    Speaking of rights, I've been getting into this youtube channel where a lawyer goes over various cop-human interactions.

    It's kind of funny watching cops do all this sketchy shit. It's also funny how some people would rather have a long argument and get into a peen-waving contest with cops until they get themselves arrested rather than just go along with the bullshit just to get the thing over with, when there's nothing really at stake.

    That said, sometimes the cops are 100% wrong and the person is 100% right, so it's kinda understandable they're not happy to have their rights abused.

    I also wonder how many of these laws work the same in the UK. I know for example we have no right to remain silent here.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  75. #30000
    I know for example we have no right to remain silent here.
    We certainly do have the right to remain silent here in the UK, at least in interrogation and in court. I believe if you're asked for your details by police you do have to provide them or could face arrest, but at the same time you don't have to tell them, you could simply show them ID.

    A "Select Committee" can compel people to appear before them and give evidence, and if they don't they could be charged with contempt, but this would be very unusual for a normal criminal case, rather it's something that concerns the House of Lords. At least that's the impression I get by briefly researching this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •