Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,256,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 316 of 324 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318 ... LastLast
Results 23,626 to 23,700 of 24234
  1. #23626
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    White guy drives van into Muslims outside mosque in London.

    Oh dear.
    Enough is enough, deport the fuckers.
  2. #23627
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    A 48-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.
    Proof that he's white.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  3. #23628
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Drinks are only expensive in London if you're not from London. If you're paid London wages, then drinks are cheap.

    This guy clearly isn't a Londoner.
    Standard 4-5 pints and a cocktail to round off is costing me north of £50 after work on a Friday. That still hurts me, but maybe not the bankers.

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    So this Mayweather-McGregor fight is gonna happen. I don't really follow either sport, but I'm definitely gonna watch.

    When history looks back, they will probably say that this was the END of professional boxing. It's not often you get to witness the death of an entire sport.
    This whole idea is so dumb and just a blatant money spinner that I won't watch. It's like a professional squash player taking on Roger Federer at tennis, with only one outcome.

    There's been a few of these events over the years and they've all been a joke.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    White guy drives van into Muslims outside mosque in London.

    Oh dear.
    London is taking a beating at the moment, but in some ways it makes me feel good about being British. People really do just get on with their daily lives and there's no panicking.

    Driving into Muslims really is retarded though.
  4. #23629
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    This whole idea is so dumb and just a blatant money spinner that I won't watch. It's like a professional squash player taking on Roger Federer at tennis, with only one outcome.
    What's wrong with money-spinning? I mean, is professional boxing something that people actually care about anymore? For decades it was a top sport with a huge audience. Then Mike Tyson came along and suddenly title fights only lasted two minutes. People lost interest fast. A pay per view event was like $50, which was quite a bit of money back then. Certainly more than the casual fan is willing to spend for two minutes of a one sided demolishing.

    Then the sport's best and most intriguing athlete went to jail. And when he came back, he was nutso. And some where in there Rocky V shined a light on the ugly under-belly of professional boxing.

    A guy got his fucking ear bit off! And ever since then, the biggest matches have taken place between two guys who weigh less than most boxing fan's wives. Boxing used to be about epic clashes between heavyweights. Now it's about two skinny wieners throwing mosquito bites at each other.

    How do you fault boxing for cashing in on one last payday?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bean Counter View Post
    There's been a few of these events over the years and they've all been a joke.
    Well in this case I think it's a little more intriguing because if McGregor wins, then that will mark the official time-of-death for professional boxing. It's still dying a slow death, but if Mayweather loses, it's the end. So it's not like past events where boxers fought wrestlers for charity. There's actually something on the line here.

    Also, when Mayweather does win...and he will....what does that really say about this exploding sport of MMA? Are the guys really that tough? Or is it all hyped because it gets so bloody and takes place inside a cage? It really won't look good when MMA puts up it's best guy and it's obvious to even casual observers that he's too slow and doesn't punch hard enough to even be competitive in this fight.
  5. #23630
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Also, when Mayweather does win...and he will....what does that really say about this exploding sport of MMA? Are the guys really that tough? Or is it all hyped because it gets so bloody and takes place inside a cage? It really won't look good when MMA puts up it's best guy and it's obvious to even casual observers that he's too slow and doesn't punch hard enough to even be competitive in this fight.
    You say this but if you put them in a fight Mayweather would get seven shades of shit kicked out of him.

    All it says is that boxers are better boxers than people who aren't boxers.
  6. #23631
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    You say this but if you put them in a fight Mayweather would get seven shades of shit kicked out of him.

    All it says is that boxers are better boxers than people who aren't boxers.
    I'm not a real follower of either sport so I can't really make an informed prediction about who would win in a non-boxing fight. All I know is what my eyeballs tell me from what few fights I've watched, and what I see on YouTube. But even as a very casual observer, it's pretty obvious that Mayweather hits harder and is alot faster. Seems to me that Mayweather could win this upcoming fight without taking a single punch if he wanted to.

    Surely those abilities translate into MMA at least somewhat. I don't think Floyd would get mauled all that badly, if at all.
  7. #23632
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    I'm not a real follower of either sport so I can't really make an informed prediction about who would win in a non-boxing fight. All I know is what my eyeballs tell me from what few fights I've watched, and what I see on YouTube. But even as a very casual observer, it's pretty obvious that Mayweather hits harder and is alot faster. Seems to me that Mayweather could win this upcoming fight without taking a single punch if he wanted to.

    Surely those abilities translate into MMA at least somewhat. I don't think Floyd would get mauled all that badly, if at all.
    Avoiding and blocking punches isn't the same thing as being able to stop someone taking you down. As soon as he was on the floor it'd be game over.

    He could also just stand out of range of mayweather and kick him.
    Last edited by Savy; 06-19-2017 at 11:00 AM.
  8. #23633
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Avoiding and blocking punches isn't the same thing as being able to stop someone taking you down. As soon as he was on the floor it'd be game over.

    He could also just stand out of range of mayweather and kick him.
    I'm just not buying into the argument that says Mayweather would be helpless if it came to wrestling. It's not like the guy is weak, or slow, or incapable of grappling.

    Not buying the kicking stuff either. Kicking is a lot slower than punching. Unless McGregor lands a knockout blow, Mayweather will land about 20 punches before Connor's foot is back on the ground.
  9. #23634
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,937
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    The dentists' conspiracy is revealed!

    Throw down your dental floss, my oppressed companions! It was a scam all along!

    Quote Originally Posted by the man
    National Institutes of Health dentist Tim Iafolla acknowledged that if the highest standards of science were applied in keeping with the flossing reviews of the past decade, “then it would be appropriate to drop the floss guidelines.”
  10. #23635
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    The dentists' conspiracy is revealed!

    Throw down your dental floss, my oppressed companions! It was a scam all along!
    Interesting.

    Any hard evidence on interdental brushes? That's what I use, and my 'evidence' is that the hygenist seems to be able to tell when I'm not doing it enough.
  11. #23636
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    After 2+ years on a nokia burner phone I caved in and bought a smartphone. Drove an extra hour on Sunday because the paper map I had didn't have the street I was looking for. Plus more and more people start nagging me about whatsapp.
    It took me about a day to realize pretty much all budget phones are shit in one way or another, so I got a used HTC One M9 for a decent price. Now I'd like to think of myself as a function over form kinda guy, so when I got to the seller and realized I was looking at the gold painted version I'm thinking: it's $50 cheaper than the next offer and it's in good condition, plus I'm already here. I'll take the gold one.
    Is it decadence to not want the decadent looking phone? I don't care what people think of me when I pull out a $15 Nokia, but I do feel shame about pulling out a shiny gold painted aluminium 5" phone. I'm being a hypocrite, right?
    I ordered a plastic back cover.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  12. #23637
    With a shit phone it's obvious you don't care, when you're putting some effort into something it's more likely people will think that is a conscious choice you've made especially when that is what most people do.

    I really need a new phone, got a windows one over two years ago and never again, but I'm falling into the same problem of all budget phones are shit and I don't want to spend much on a phone.
  13. #23638
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    The problem is that anything that is shiny and gold, other than gold, is tacky and shit, or at least perceived as such.

    Nokias are retro and cool.

    I have what is now an old smartphone. I'd love to have a brick Nokia again. All I use my phone for is calls, texts, time, alarm clock. And I fucking hate texting on it, honestly I could text quicker old school style. Now I keep pressing the wrong letter, even though I'm definitely pressing the letter I fucking want.

    At least a Nokia is a viable weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  14. #23639
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    And I fucking hate texting on it, honestly I could text quicker old school style. Now I keep pressing the wrong letter, even though I'm definitely pressing the letter I fucking want.
    I had the same problem with my phone then I learnt that you can swipe your finger from letter to letter and even though I'm clearly missing all the letters I actually want it always gets the word. Is different and takes some getting used to but works well.
  15. #23640
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    I had the same problem with my phone then I learnt that you can swipe your finger from letter to letter and even though I'm clearly missing all the letters I actually want it always gets the word. Is different and takes some getting used to but works well.
    Once you get good at it, you kinda feel like a ninja when texting.
  16. #23641
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Yeah that works really well. Voice recognition is also really good nowadays. It's not hard to justify a smartphone. It's worth it for the GPS alone... at least for me. Another reason why I didn't get one for so long is that I used to have a Desire S and that had a true aluminum body that actually felt solid. All the new ones are either super thin aluminum or just aluminum paint like The M9 I have now. It just feels greasy and cheap. Iphone SE would be right up my alley if it was half the price and not an Iphone.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  17. #23642
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,937
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The problem is that anything that is shiny and gold, other than gold, is tacky and shit, or at least perceived as such.
    IDK if an actually gold plated phone would be any less tacky and shit-looking.

    Once people found out it was actually 14k gold plating, they might be intellectually impressed, but c'mon... it's not going to look "good," but may work as a street thug status symbol.
  18. #23643
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,356
    Location
    Finding my game
    I'd say calls and texts are way less than 5% of my total phone usage. Actually it would take me a while to even notice if they weren't working, as long as interwebs works.

    I think the color of my current samsung is champagne gold or some shit, like who cares. It's a tool, and yeah I think it was cheaper than the basic colors.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

    You wake me up early in the morning to tell me that I'm right? Please wait until I'm wrong.

  19. #23644
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I'm already having some buyers remorse. Apparently it is impossibly to change the google navigation language separate from the OS language, so I'd have to change the OS language to german, which I would already hate, but that doesn't matter because that's impossible without rooting the piece of shit. Now I have a phone in a shitty color I don't like that can't even do the one thing I bought it for unless I follow a wall-of-text instruction on how to install a custom rom which probably won't work correctly. I'll ask real nice if I can return it.
    edit:
    Oh fuck me, after a factory reset you have to put in the name and password of the first person who used this phone... or else you have to load a custom rom I guess. Fuck everything about this. Fuck smartphones, holy fucking shit!
    Last edited by oskar; 06-20-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  20. #23645
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,769
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Oh fuck me, after a factory reset you have to put in the name and password of the first person who used this phone... or else you have to load a custom rom I guess. Fuck everything about this. Fuck smartphones, holy fucking shit!

    The phone wasn't properly wiped before they sold it to you
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  21. #23646
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Nah, you can't actually wipe it any more properly without manually loading a different rom. This is a new feature. Every time you reset it will ask for the google account of the first person who used it.
    Luckily there are a million exploits that let you get around this. I also fixed the language issue. The solution was to set my whole google account to the language I want my device to be in, so now I only have the minor inconvenience of having to use a different search engine. The seller didn't respond. I assume the phone is stolen. I'm no good samaritan so I'll just sand off the gold and maybe respray it if I'm feeling ambitious and then the... The shame will feel manageable.
    Last edited by oskar; 06-21-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  22. #23647
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    If you feel bad about it, just donate ten bucks to a charity for people who've had their phones stolen.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #23648
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    For a second my brain thought there was such a thing and started thinking about it, and I had to step in and tell my brain it's being retarded. I'll punish it with schnapps. My dad's 72 year old neighbor put me onto it. She always gives me hard liquor and I'm starting to like it. It's the red bull of the alcohols. It just does it's job.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  24. #23649
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    For a second my brain thought there was such a thing and started thinking about it...
    That's as good as actually googling it, and therefore you tried. Your conscience is officially clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  25. #23650
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I did google it just to be sure. With all the 10 different genders and yoga for cats and whatnot, who knows what's real anymore.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  26. #23651
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I'm downloading the last episode of Better Call Saul right now. I immediately had to check how many episodes of Twin Peaks are left to fill the Void until Rick and Morty, and it's 10 more! 18 fucking episodes. God bless David Lynch!
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  27. #23652
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    I'm downloading the last episode of Better Call Saul right now.
    Bet you can't guess what's gonna happen.

    Spoiler:
    did you actually fucking look you weak fucker?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  28. #23653
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Well joke's on you, I've already watched it. What a finale! I could see myself rewatching the entire season right now. So many things I feared would happen didn't and everything tied together nicely. Hard to rate something right after finishing it, but this was quite possibly my favorite season of any TV show ever. Now I have two episodes of Twin Peaks to catch up, I have almost a whole bottle of hard liquor left and I only have two hours of work tomorrow.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  29. #23654
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    It was ok. I had a feeling...

    *actual spoiler alert*
    Spoiler:
    ...Chuck would kill himself.


    Wake me up when Rick & Morty is back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  30. #23655
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I'm not sure
    Spoiler:
    he actually killed himself. You have a lot of time to rethink your options when you're killing yourself with fire. If Gale the chemist from Breaking bad is any indication, Chuck is dead as fuck, but there is still some wiggle room to keep him alive without some bullshit twist. I'm hopeful.

    2 hours of Twin Peaks coming up. I'll be over in the drunk thread later.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  31. #23656
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Well joke's on you, I've already watched it. What a finale! I could see myself rewatching the entire season right now. So many things I feared would happen didn't and everything tied together nicely. Hard to rate something right after finishing it, but this was quite possibly my favorite season of any TV show ever. Now I have two episodes of Twin Peaks to catch up, I have almost a whole bottle of hard liquor left and I only have two hours of work tomorrow.
    I think that it's been pretty brilliant but apparently enough of the breaking bad crowd have completely lost interest* and it's up in the air as to whether it'll get a 4th season.

    *Understandable as most people just got on the BB hype train and this can be pretty slow at times. Bar little snippets of Jimmy's past it's not really the BB character they were invested in.
  32. #23657
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Bar little snippets of Jimmy's past it's not really the BB character they were invested in.
    My thoughts exactly. I've got 2 episodes to go, but I'm still wondering "where the fuck is Saul Goodman"
  33. #23658
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Why did no one tell me that Norm Macdonald is great?
    Norm Macdonald is one of my favorite comedians of all time. You can hold up his last two specials to anyone. Norm Macdonald Live is dumbfounding when you consider it's mostly a non scripted show with two writers. The Super Dave and Stephen Merchant episodes are my favorites. Season 3 should be in the can, I hope the only reason they haven't aired yet is because a network is picking it up.
    Along the same line: Dave Attell is working like a horse. Road Work is fantastic, he's planning a new special for 2018 and he has a million different projects. Doug Stanhope's Comedian's Comedian's Comedians is coming up and I'm super excited for Morgan Murphy to be in it. She's a great standup who got caught up in commercial success, so I'm really happy she's back on a proper stage.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  34. #23659
    I was short on small bills so I put a 5-spot into the vending machine, and it gave me golden dollars as change.

    When did they put John Adams on these things? What happened to Sacajawea?
  35. #23660
    Tom Segura is pretty good
  36. #23661
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Norm Macdonald is one of my favorite comedians of all time. You can hold up his last two specials to anyone. Norm Macdonald Live is dumbfounding when you consider it's mostly a non scripted show with two writers. The Super Dave and Stephen Merchant episodes are my favorites. Season 3 should be in the can, I hope the only reason they haven't aired yet is because a network is picking it up.
    Along the same line: Dave Attell is working like a horse. Road Work is fantastic, he's planning a new special for 2018 and he has a million different projects. Doug Stanhope's Comedian's Comedian's Comedians is coming up and I'm super excited for Morgan Murphy to be in it. She's a great standup who got caught up in commercial success, so I'm really happy she's back on a proper stage.
    I'm not sure what it is about him that I find so interesting. I kind of wonder how much of him is a character, he's clearly really fucking funny which is the most important bit, but there is just that something which seems a bit unique that really intrigues me.

    Atell I've only heard great things about (mostly from Stanhope on his podcast lol) but the only thing I've seen of him was on netflix which was ok but poorly put together. I had never heard of Morgan Murphy until she appeared on the Stanhope podcast and she seems fairly cool. What exactly did she get caught up in? From what I've heard from her (admittedly like 3 podcasts with her on) the only thing I've really gathered is that she loves Jimmy Fallon.

    That podcast is pretty much the only one that I religiously listen to when new episodes come out. Which as I just looked has a new episode out
    Last edited by Savy; 06-21-2017 at 03:17 PM.
  37. #23662
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar
    wiggle room
    Yeah maybe, but it would be gay.

    Spoiler:
    I expect the next series to start with a funeral
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  38. #23663
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    2 Broke Girls. Some shitcom. She's the writer. You can find some clips of her early standup on youtube and she has a special on Netflix. She's hilarious.
    Norm is extremely humble and not because that's his schtick, he really is. But underneath that slow moving Ambien personality he has one of the quickest brains in comedy. If you look through his Conan appearances and there are dozens, they strategically put him in anytime there's a shit guest so he can save the interview, and he always does.
    Here's an example from his own show:
    Norm: Our producer tells us we have to go to break.
    Super Dave: On this show? Who's sponsoring this?
    Norm: Adam over here has Sponsors
    Adam Eget: I got sponsors
    Super Dave: Like who?
    Norm: He has sponsors, because he's an alcoholic.

    Obviously any joke like this is pre-planned, but you know he has hundreds and he knows how to manipulate people into setting up the punchline for him like with the "I'm a deeply closeted gay man" joke.

    Anyway, I can't believe you didn't care for Attell. He has some of my favorite jokes of all times. "Hoarders, anyone watching that show? I can't stop watching Hoarders because I can't find my remote under the pile of dead cats. Some of these write themselves". Or his bit about dolphin swimming in his last Netflix special. He also did with Comedy Underground what Stanhope did with "The Unbookables" only with 10 times the effort.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  39. #23664
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Yeah... fuck you Ong. You're probably right, but fuck you.
    I'll have to head over to the drunk thread real soon.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  40. #23665
    Yeah I looked through some of his appearances on Conan and they were all pretty great, bar the one with thte girl from OITNB where she was just such a bore it ruined the whole thing of which he was still the highlight. That chairman of the "bored" line was amazing.

    I've not seen enough of Attell to rate him, when I said poorly put together I meant filmed, edited nothing on him I'd assume and if it was he's shit at that, doesn't reflect on his comedy though.

    I've never seen two broke girls as I just assumed it'd be shit from the get go.

    edit - With regards to Norm it's when he's telling something that is obviously pre-planned and he's just stringing people along but laughing. It just works I suppose.
    Last edited by Savy; 06-21-2017 at 04:08 PM.
  41. #23666
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I thought it was pretty clever. These shows are on a shoestring budget and he cuts production cost by handing cameras to the audience. Also the feel was deliberate I believe. You have multiple openings to a show in a row, so obviously they weren't going for continuity. I didn't mind it.
    If you don't know Attell just go through his CD's and start with Skans for the Memories. Dave's Old Porn is also worth watching if you can dig it up.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  42. #23667
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Yeah... fuck you Ong. You're probably right, but fuck you.
    I'll have to head over to the drunk thread real soon.
    This is an excellent way of making our spoiler conversation appear much more interesting than it is, hopefully resulting in some curious soul being spoiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  43. #23668
    You kids are probably too young to remember when Norm did Weekend Update.

    "The number 1 album in America belongs to the band 'Better than Ezra'. At number 2.....'Ezra'"
  44. #23669
    Enjoying the slower nature of Saul so far. It's more like extended foreplay that's not far from a climax now, rather than the wham bam up against a kitchen wall that BB provided. Hoping it gets more time - maybe Netflix is more likely to do that without the need to generate advertising revenue.

    Going back to the Mayweather thing, it's a great time for British boxing fans at the moment, so we're getting back into it. Real shame there isn't an animal like Tyson anymore though.
  45. #23670
    I feel like I shoudl have already but I may not have, Adventure Time is genuinely the best thing on TV. I love Rick and Morty and I suppose it's a different itch but Adventure Time really is GOAT. The really shit booking of it has confused me and I'm lost as to where I last watched it but I can never recommend this enough which is more so amazing because when I was at uni and I knew people who were watching it I thought it was awful edgy shit. Which tbf it was a season and a bit in and it's not the best but season 4/5 is genuinely awesome.

    It's not a fair comparison because over a short amount of time Rick and Morty is much much better, but adventure time is a whole thing that is great, Rick and Morty isn't. There are a lot more throw away episodes of Adventure Tiem but the peaks are so fucking high.

    It makes me feel like it's hard to suggest to people, with R&M I'm just like watch 3 episodes it's great, with adventure time I'm like yeah maybe for 2 seasons it's meh but omg the whole time situation that goes on is GOAT and Ice King goes from shit to a fantastic character, Marceleen is great (yet the mini series on her was good not great) princes bubblegum development great. So much to it.
    Last edited by Savy; 06-21-2017 at 06:52 PM.
  46. #23671
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,937
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    WTF, Savy?!

    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

    I don't know what this is, but it amuses me.

    EDIT: your avatar and comment in the poker thread, I mean.
  47. #23672
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    WTF, Savy?!

    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

    I don't know what this is, but it amuses me.

    EDIT: your avatar and comment in the poker thread, I mean.
    I made a similar joke with wuf around the time he was pushing for me to use this (/my old one/the one I'm using in the future most likely) avatar all the time. To be fair to the lad it's completely true I am overly critical and blunt. I actually teach children quite well because I still have the same no shit approach but its' softened a bit because obviously they are kids and they don't see through my WOOOOOOOOOOOO! WE DID IT!!! positive bits. Which tbf most adults don't either but they don't make the same kind of progress kids do with stuff.
  48. #23673
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    It's really hard to feel sympathy for 150 people who get exploded when they steal fuel from a crashed tanker while someone smokes a fucking ciggie.

    I feel like a bad person for not being horrified by this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  49. #23674
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,937
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    What's odd to me is that, when I was 16-ish, I tried to light a puddle of gasoline with a lit cigarette, and I couldn't do it.

    !@#$ you, Hollywood physics!

    Here were my experiments:
    Outside on a sunny day.
    I poured ~1/2 cup of gasonline on the driveway, away from flammables.
    I lit it with a lighter.
    It was cool.
    Fire is cool.

    Take 2:
    In the same location, another 1/2 cup of gasoline was poured to make a puddle.
    I held a lit cigarette near the puddle and it was not cool.
    I exposed the cherry on the cigarette by scraping off the ash, and held it near the puddle.
    It was still not cool.
    I touched the cherry to the puddle, and it put the cigarette out like as though I dipped it in water.
    OK, a tiny bit coolish, but not actually cool.

    Take 3:
    I lit a new cigarette and smoked it for a bit.
    After a bit, I had a nice 3/4" cherry on it.
    I flicked the cigarette at the ground near the puddle and was lucky that the cherry literally skipped across the surface of the gasoline puddle.
    Which was again, rather coolish, and perhaps actually cool, but did not cause a fire, so not that cool

    Anyway, the lesson I learned is that Hollywood fires are total BS.
    Getting the right chemical fuel/air mixture is really difficult, because I now know that the fluid gasoline is not flammable, only the vapor is. It is a volatile chemical, meaning it readily evaporates under "normal atmospheric conditions," which helps. It also readily disperses in air, which doesn't help. In short, it's probably too fuel rich close to the open fluid, and too fuel lean away from it. There's maybe a thin layer which is actually at a combustible chemical mixture. That layer isn't stationary. The air currents are moving it all over the place, within a region not too close or too far from the open fluid.
  50. #23675
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,769
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  51. #23676
    I bring this point up all the time and it's boring but what the fuck is this about?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37383914

    So you've convinced your kid that because she wanted a boys part in a play that she's non-binary? That's fucking madness. Not only is the question what is it to be a male/female a stupid question to begin with but then assigning that to pre-pubescent children is madness.

    Am I just turning into the equivalent of an old racist in 2017? I think that's what I'm more worried about. Like I really don't give a shit what people do to their bodies but this seems to be fucking with children psychologically.
    Last edited by Savy; 07-07-2017 at 11:40 PM.
  52. #23677
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Am I just turning into the equivalent of an old racist in 2017?
    Yep. And realizing that opens the door to questioning the premise. Are those racists really racists? You mean to tell me that the idea that stereotypes are racism is just a giant lie? What other hallucinations have been crammed down my.....
  53. #23678
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Yep. And realizing that opens the door to questioning the premise. Are those racists really racists? You mean to tell me that the idea that stereotypes are racism is just a giant lie? What other hallucinations have been crammed down my.....
    I think the main difference is I don't hate trans people I just don't get it. And no one ever has been able to explain to me why it isn't stupid.

    I think the issue gets brought up by kids whilst others don't because it's that stupid. Kids don't see racism, kids don't see homophobia and kids don't see gender at least in how society sees it. Yet when the others are brought up we (liberal elite) go yeah it's stupid isn't it but when gender gets brought up we don't go yeah it's stupid isn't it we go OMG YOU LIKE DOLLS LETS START THE HORMONE TREATMENT!!!

    To actually talk about your quote. Stereotypes do exist for a reason to a certain extent however the truthfulness of those generalisations varies massively and when those generalisations start from a large position of bias to begin with they tend to be pretty false. I actually think the exact opposite applies in this situation. It is a girls like pink, boys like blue so when your child likes the opposite colour you're already pushing that idea on them when it's bollocks to begin with.
    Last edited by Savy; 07-08-2017 at 12:49 AM.
  54. #23679
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    I bring this point up all the time and it's boring but what the fuck is this about?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37383914

    So you've convinced your kid that because she wanted a boys part in a play that she's non-binary? That's fucking madness. Not only is the question what is it to be a male/female a stupid question to begin with but then assigning that to pre-pubescent children is madness.

    Am I just turning into the equivalent of an old racist in 2017? I think that's what I'm more worried about. Like I really don't give a shit what people do to their bodies but this seems to be fucking with children psychologically.
    It's mental illness, and normalising it to children is sick.

    Adults can do as they please. If a dude wants to identify as a woman, or vice versa, whatever. But telling kids it's normal, teaching kids about gender identity issues, it's just confusing the fuck out of them.

    I can't accept it, and I don't think it's because I'm getting old. Dude you're only 24, you're practically a millenial.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  55. #23680
    JKDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,792
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    I don't get it either, but I'm not allowed to say that
  56. #23681
    Why can't you be racist against whites?

    Because whites have a sense of humor.



    Joke aside, 99.9999% (I did the math) of things said to be racism are not.
  57. #23682
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    I don't get it either, but I'm not allowed to say that
    Me neither and me too.

    Then again, I don't get women a lot of the time but I still know enough not to question how they feel.
  58. #23683
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post

    I can't accept it, and I don't think it's because I'm getting old. Dude you're only 24, you're practically a millenial.
    I obviously say that tongue in cheek (it's nice you read my other posts though). It does worry me slightly that it's the type of thing that happens as you get older though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Me neither and me too.

    Then again, I don't get women a lot of the time but I still know enough not to question how they feel.
    HOW DARE YOU ASSUME THEIR GENDER!

    But do you really? I'm as surprised by both males and females when it comes to stuff like feelings it's just that topic doesn't come up between my male friends all that often whilst it does with girls I've seen in the past. It's usually not all that hard to understand either when you get it's mostly about insecurities.
    Last edited by Savy; 07-08-2017 at 05:07 PM.
  59. #23684
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,937
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Adults can do as they please. If a dude wants to identify as a woman, or vice versa, whatever. But telling kids it's normal, teaching kids about gender identity issues, it's just confusing the fuck out of them.
    Children are just tiny adults. People don't experience new emotions as they get older. They experience the same things enough times to differentiate them.

    I think the best way to communicate with other humans is to offer them your best understanding on the subject of discussion, and if that is incomplete or contains assumptions, then it's also best to state as much.

    It doesn't seem good to me to lie to children. I don't see the need to shield children from reality.

    If a parent's understanding of this is that it's a natural thing and that is what their child is experiencing, then I think that parent should communicate that to their child.

    We all know our parents said / say some ridiculous things. It doesn't mean we believe those things.
  60. #23685
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    That there are different shades of gender identity isn't really a new fad, it's just that now people are inventing new trendy names for it, but all of those identities already existed, only that in my days you would just call them by the umbrella term 'fag ass bitch.'
    The thing with hormone therapy is that it is much more effective the earlier you start and I guess they have enough cases to get a good idea whether or not it's a child's fantasy or something that will follow them the rest of their lives. I trust the opinion of professionals more than my own intuition on this one.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  61. #23686
    JKDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,792
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    We don't know shit tho. Research on the brain has leapt forward in the past decade or so, but we still don't know shit.
  62. #23687
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    We don't know shit tho. Research on the brain has leapt forward in the past decade or so, but we still don't know shit.
    ^this
  63. #23688
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  64. #23689
    The first question really murders that, some cunt who isn't funny thinking he has a gag.
  65. #23690
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    I love that I can boot spammers and view deleted posts.

    Not that self-deleted posts are ever interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  66. #23691
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Not that self-deleted posts are ever interesting.
    What about all of mine?

    Tbf now mostly I think they are me calling people cunts and deleting it or saying something I realise will result in an argument I don't care about enough to argue.
  67. #23692
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I love that I can boot spammers and view deleted posts.

    Not that self-deleted posts are ever interesting.
    lol
    I tend to overthink my submissions.
    And I couldn't agree more on that first question. Holy shit that brought things to a grinding halt.

    One more reminder that Season 3 of Norm Macdonald Live will get posted shortly.

    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  68. #23693
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Norm vid
    My sister literally just phoned me and told me I'm laughing too loud at this time of night and need to stfu.

    Where can I watch the videos of all the eps?
  69. #23694
    Is there any reason we don't have an FTR discord? I know spoon was a big fan of IRC (i.e. slightly outdated forms of this) but I see no reason with how easy, free etc that we don't have one. I understand why FTR may be against this somewhat.
  70. #23695
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  71. #23696
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I have Discord but most of my friends use mumble so I'm not using it much. Creating a Discord group is no big deal, so there's no harm in trying. I'm oskar669 on Discord.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  72. #23697
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,937
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    My sister literally just phoned me and told me I'm laughing too loud at this time of night and need to stfu.
    What a charmer.

    I see the relation.
  73. #23698
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    My sister literally just phoned me and told me I'm laughing too loud at this time of night and need to stfu.
    Solution - watch porn loudly, make groaning noises. Next time you're laughing at comedy she'll leave you the fuck alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  74. #23699
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15,828
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    What about all of mine?

    Tbf now mostly I think they are me calling people cunts and deleting it or saying something I realise will result in an argument I don't care about enough to argue.
    They weren't that interesting otherwise I'd have undeleted it for the laughs.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  75. #23700
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,341
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    There is nothing that gives you a false sense of control like a brand new 4-pack of plastic storage boxes.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •