Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,288,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 399 of 400 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400 LastLast
Results 29,851 to 29,925 of 29982
  1. #29851
    It makes just as much sense that you signal your allegiance to Satan through wearing a particular type of hat or by twerking, as that you signal it through adopting certain postures.
    Not really. Wearing a hat serves a purpose, and twirking is a sexually charged dance routine. I don't agree these are good comparisons, especially when you consider politicians doing it, with no obvious market to appeal to or peers to impress.

    Does it promote ritual murder? 'Cause if not, I don't see how it's relevant to the Baldwin incident.
    Well it's not necessarily relevant to the Baldwin incident, because there's no evidence that this incident is related to cults, it's just that's what we started talking about. Scientology is a cult, wouldn't you agree? I mentioned it because it demonstrates how easy it is for people who want to advance their career to get involved with cults that promise rewards through connections, which is why Scientology appeals to aspiring actors. If you're not buying that last bit, I can only suggest you watch some stuff about Scientology. The Louis documentary is probably the best one to watch, because he's an excellent journalist.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  2. #29852
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Not really. Wearing a hat serves a purpose, and twirking is a sexually charged dance routine. I don't agree these are good comparisons, especially when you consider politicians doing it, with no obvious market to appeal to or peers to impress.
    You can wear any kind of hat, it doesn't have to have three corners - unless you're signalling allegiance to Satan. I'm just using your logic here.

    Twerking is indeed sexually suggestive. A lot of people used to think acting overtly sexual was a sign of demonic possession. Maybe they were right. Again, just connecting dots here the way you do. Twirking is even more suggestive, so maybe it's a sign you're already a high priestess in the cult.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  3. #29853
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Scientology is a cult, wouldn't you agree?
    Yes, but I don't get the leap from "cults exist" + "some actors belong to said cults," to "a person doing anything odd is a Satanist."
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  4. #29854
    I mentioned Satanist because such cults exist. You know this, it's not news. You were talking about alien lizards in a tone of mockery, but nobody is arguing such cults exist.

    It might not be Satanist cults, it could be Pagan cults, or Flying Spaghetti Monster cults, who knows, Satanism was just the one I was considering as most likely, if indeed such cultism is happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  5. #29855
    Image of Saturn taken by Cassini.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  6. #29856
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  7. #29857
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Image of Saturn taken by Cassini.

    This is my favorite post itt I can recall. Both in isolation and in the context of the preceding posts
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  8. #29858
    Make Saturn Great Again.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  9. #29859
    I didn't know this was even possible. Learn something every day.

    Oh and it's at Penn State, where I spent a year as a postdoc. Nice.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  10. #29860
    Are you familiar with Milo Yianopolus?
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  11. #29861
    Yeah, what's the connection here?

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  12. #29862
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Are you familiar with Milo Yianopolus?
    Vaguely. Isn't he a far right rabble rouser of sorts?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  13. #29863
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    How is everyone?

    Poopy?

    Ong?

    Boost?

    Cocco?

    Anyone I'm missing?



    Work is trucking along. The hiatus has left me rusty in a lot of ways. I actually hurt myself while giving a professor safety tips for one of the demos. Nothing major, just a little friction burn that took a bit of skin off. It sounds worse than it is. Still, I was just kinda dumbfounded for about 30 seconds. I just stood there staring at the professor as my brain tried to come up with any way to handle this situation and came up with nothing.

    So I just started washing my hand and I grabbed a first aid kit to put some ointment on it. I felt so lost and dumb, but the professor just got all scientific on it and was like, "What actually just happened, there?" So I described what I'd done, noted where the demo starting acting "wrong," and we modified the demonstration to eliminate that concern.

    In the end, he was fine laughing it off as an example of what not to do.


    Still... it's little things like that that keep cropping up. I really should have known better, and I should have made that fix before the professor was there. No long-term harm is done, but I just feel rusty and over-confident.

    Like... "I've used that demo before, so it's fine." is a terrible attitude for me to have.

    So I need to find a way to amp up my diligence and tamp down my bravado going forward.

    I mean... work is fun. Meeting a whole new slew of inspiring students is always good times. Playing with my physics toys is always fun, too.


    I started playing bass again a few months ago, and I went ahead and bought a multi-effects processor for it. It's been a blast to goof around with.
    I've learned a couple Tool songs on bass in the past couple weeks, too. Pneuma and The Patient. Though I'm not 100% on either, yet, I'm stoked to be able to get my sound so close to the album's sound with the processor I bought.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  14. #29864
    I'm good. Nothing exciting to talk about though. Did I tell you all I'm the world champion at bulldog chess? I'm currently defending my title in an ongoing game.

    Oh, and apparently Biden shat himself while Boris was talking. 2021 just peaked.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  15. #29865
    Today I had a ridiculously lucky recovery from a potentially huge fuck up. My housemate has made a chandelier with test tubes, it's a circular hoop, it's nice and is hanging in the store room. It took her months to make. I'm taking boxes downstairs to put into storage while plumbing happens, and as I stand upright after putting a box down, I feel my head lift the chandelier. The next split second was nothing short of a miracle. I immediately realised I might have unhooked it from the hanger, and instinctively stuck my arm out. As I did so, I basically punched through the hoop as it fell, and stood there stunned as the chandelier hung on my outstretched arm. Hard floor, definite breakage if it falls.

    If the many worlds theory is true, there's a lot of universes with me having to say sorry to my really pissed off housemate. Glad I'm in one of the very few where it didn't happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  16. #29866
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    That's some crazy luck (and skill) going on there. Glad to hear you saved it.

    Funny 'cause this week I was shopping for a bit of glassware demonstration equipment and I wondered how that all panned out for you with your chemistry glassware gig. Sounds like your housemate got to do some cool arts and crafts. I vaguely recall you saying you'd more than broke even on it a while back... how lucrative was the project?


    Post a pic of the chandelier, if your housemate is cool with that.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  17. #29867
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I immediately realised I might have unhooked it from the hanger, and instinctively stuck my arm out. As I did so, I basically punched through the hoop as it fell, and stood there stunned as the chandelier hung on my outstretched arm.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  18. #29868
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    If the many worlds theory is true, there's a lot of universes with me having to say sorry to my really pissed off housemate.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  19. #29869
    Ong, did it feel like time went in slow motion? I had an experience where that happened.

    I was caught in a wicked thunderstorm back in Canada one time while walking my dog. Super loud thunder, lightning everywhere, the kind of thunderstorm you only get on the prairies. Anyways, we were walking through a residential part of the city, heading back towards the house. We came up to a school, and I decided to walk through the school grounds near the tall buildings rather than around it on the exposed sidewalk.

    I was walking and took a step and everything I'm about to describe took place in-between the time I put my foot down and before I had lifted it up again.

    As I put my foot down it suddenly felt like a hand had come out of the ground and was squeezing my foot. I was obv. like wtf, so I looked down and there was a spark coming out of the ground on either side of my foot and meeting above it in a wishbone shape. It was about the thickness of a coat hanger and gave off that fuzzy blue light that electrical sparks do. It was all jagged too. I didn't have time to process it before it brightened then faded really quickly and the force around my foot grew stronger then went away. The next instant there was a huge flash and lightning hit the ground about 20 feet in front of me, with a huge bang. The next thing I knew I had thrown my hands up in the air, let go of the dog's leash and was running as fast as I could, while the flash was so bright it basically burned into my retina for a couple of seconds afterwards.

    It took me about 3 seconds to regain my senses and realise my dog was just as scared shitless as me but instead of running next to the building he was taking off across the middle of the field. I called him back and we went to an entrance to the school, like a sort of porch area with steps, where there was a little shelter. Waited out the rest of the storm then went home.

    I couldn't sleep that night and barely at all for the next two or three nights. People said I looked like someone who'd almost got killed lol. Had a real phobia about lightning for a couple of years after that where I wouldn't go outside in a thunderstorm, and since then I'm still not a big fan.

    This was in 1996 and I remember every millisecond of that one moment like it was yesterday. It was both completely amazing and absofuckinglutely terrifying at the same time.

    Apparently that spark around my foot was a "leader", and several of these come up from the Earth before a lightning strike, then it chooses one to drain it's charge into. I like to think my foot blocked the lightning from meeting the spark somehow but who knows, I probably just won the dice roll that day.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  20. #29870
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  21. #29871
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    That's some crazy luck (and skill) going on there. Glad to hear you saved it.

    Funny 'cause this week I was shopping for a bit of glassware demonstration equipment and I wondered how that all panned out for you with your chemistry glassware gig. Sounds like your housemate got to do some cool arts and crafts. I vaguely recall you saying you'd more than broke even on it a while back... how lucrative was the project?


    Post a pic of the chandelier, if your housemate is cool with that.
    I never kept accurate records or anything but I easily doubled up, and still have tons of glassware lying around. And yeah my housemate got crafty with the many test tubes we have lying around. The chandelier has been wisely taken down until the plumbing has finished and I've removed my stuff from the store room, so there can be no risk of another incident. But when it's back up I'll ask her if I can take a photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  22. #29872
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Ong, did it feel like time went in slow motion? I had an experience where that happened.

    I was caught in a wicked thunderstorm back in Canada one time while walking my dog. Super loud thunder, lightning everywhere, the kind of thunderstorm you only get on the prairies. Anyways, we were walking through a residential part of the city, heading back towards the house. We came up to a school, and I decided to walk through the school grounds near the tall buildings rather than around it on the exposed sidewalk.

    I was walking and took a step and everything I'm about to describe took place in-between the time I put my foot down and before I had lifted it up again.

    As I put my foot down it suddenly felt like a hand had come out of the ground and was squeezing my foot. I was obv. like wtf, so I looked down and there was a spark coming out of the ground on either side of my foot and meeting above it in a wishbone shape. It was about the thickness of a coat hanger and gave off that fuzzy blue light that electrical sparks do. It was all jagged too. I didn't have time to process it before it brightened then faded really quickly and the force around my foot grew stronger then went away. The next instant there was a huge flash and lightning hit the ground about 20 feet in front of me, with a huge bang. The next thing I knew I had thrown my hands up in the air, let go of the dog's leash and was running as fast as I could, while the flash was so bright it basically burned into my retina for a couple of seconds afterwards.

    It took me about 3 seconds to regain my senses and realise my dog was just as scared shitless as me but instead of running next to the building he was taking off across the middle of the field. I called him back and we went to an entrance to the school, like a sort of porch area with steps, where there was a little shelter. Waited out the rest of the storm then went home.

    I couldn't sleep that night and barely at all for the next two or three nights. People said I looked like someone who'd almost got killed lol. Had a real phobia about lightning for a couple of years after that where I wouldn't go outside in a thunderstorm, and since then I'm still not a big fan.

    This was in 1996 and I remember every millisecond of that one moment like it was yesterday. It was both completely amazing and absofuckinglutely terrifying at the same time.

    Apparently that spark around my foot was a "leader", and several of these come up from the Earth before a lightning strike, then it chooses one to drain it's charge into. I like to think my foot blocked the lightning from meeting the spark somehow but who knows, I probably just won the dice roll that day.
    That's pretty scary, and really cool. People do get struck by lightning so I think there's a huge dose of luck involved there for sure.

    And yeah it's funny you say it but it did feel like longer than a split second. At least, mentally it did, but physically it didn't. I didn't see it happen it was so fast, but it seemed to happen slower in my head because my thought process was unusually fast. It looked like it took less than half a second, but I felt like a couple of seconds at least. A definite contrast between visual and mental perception of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #29873
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,256
    Location
    Finding my game
    I'd bet adrenaline is what's going on. From wikipedia:

    "It has been found that adrenergic hormones, such as adrenaline, can produce retrograde enhancement of long-term memory in humans. The release of adrenaline due to emotionally stressful events, which is endogenous adrenaline, can modulate memory consolidation of the events, ensuring memory strength that is proportional to memory importance."

    Having more and clearer memories makes it feel like time goes slower. Anything new you do or sense, any new place you visit you get more and stronger memories, where afterwards it feels like a lot happened. Same with aging, as you grow older there's less and less new experiences that leave a strong imprint, so it feels like time is going faster than as a kid.

    I've experienced that time slowing down many times, haven't been in a car accident *knocks on wood* but have had a couple close calls, can still after a decade or so remember every millisecond of them, or so it feels.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  24. #29874
    It's an interesting topic, perceived time compression.

    I heard a story of a guy who was out hiking in the mountains when he started to slip off a cliff. He twisted and grabbed onto a plant which kept him from falling. The guy said that the moment he started to slip it seemed like time slowed down and he felt like he had all the time in the world to reach to the plant.

    There's elite athletes who report that when they're "in the zone," it seems like the game slows down, and they have more time to make decisions. I experienced this once myself playing basketball (not an elite athlete tho obv). I jumped up to take a shot and it felt like I was just hanging in midair while I aimed and shot. And I still have a very strong memory of looking at the basket and shooting, even tho it was also many years ago. Very weird.

    Adrenaline might explain some of it, certainly during the lightning incident I got a big jolt (no pun intended) of it. But there's been other times when the blood was pumping that I didn't have the same experience of time slowing down. And I certainly wouldn't put a scrum game of basketball in the same category as almost getting hit by lightning in terms of how arousing it was. But yet, it was the same experience in terms of how time slowed down. Point is, it can't all be explained by adrenaline.

    Maybe it's more about focus. Like, if your attention gets focussed on one thing very, very intensely, then your perception centers are working very hard on processing the details of it and more of that event gets stored in your memory, which makes it seem to happen more slowly. Or something. Dunno really.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  25. #29875
    Also worth noting here that the perception of everything is a reconstruction. Because it takes your brain a couple of hundred milliseconds to go from perceptual input (e.g., vision) to phenomelogical (i.e., conscious) experience, the brain is basically just making shit up all the time.

    I was at a talk once where a guy showed this using a demonstration. There was a film where a circle appears on the screen, then suddenly is replaced by the same circle to the right of it. That's the whole film. But, your brain sees it as the circle moving from one location to the other, sliding over. You actually "see" the thing move, even though it's two different circles in two different locations. So, the question is, after the first circle disappears and the second one appears, there's a pause while your brain processes the new location. Yet, before it "sees" the circle in the second location, you "see" it moving from the first location to the second.

    How the fuck does this happen? Your brain has to determine that the circle has changed locations, then decide it must have moved, then fill in your perception with the moving circle so it all looks coherent. But it only can do this after the circle has already moved.

    And don't get me started on the second hand of a clock standing still lol.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  26. #29876
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,256
    Location
    Finding my game
    Yeah I made it sound like adrenaline is the only thing going on there, I'm sure it's far far more complicated than that, like everything always is. I hope we'll be able to model a brain computationally during my lifetime and get a better understanding of wth is going on in there.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  27. #29877
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Also worth noting here that the perception of everything is a reconstruction. Because it takes your brain a couple of hundred milliseconds to go from perceptual input (e.g., vision) to phenomelogical (i.e., conscious) experience, the brain is basically just making shit up all the time.

    I was at a talk once where a guy showed this using a demonstration. There was a film where a circle appears on the screen, then suddenly is replaced by the same circle to the right of it. That's the whole film. But, your brain sees it as the circle moving from one location to the other, sliding over. You actually "see" the thing move, even though it's two different circles in two different locations. So, the question is, after the first circle disappears and the second one appears, there's a pause while your brain processes the new location. Yet, before it "sees" the circle in the second location, you "see" it moving from the first location to the second.

    How the fuck does this happen? Your brain has to determine that the circle has changed locations, then decide it must have moved, then fill in your perception with the moving circle so it all looks coherent. But it only can do this after the circle has already moved.

    And don't get me started on the second hand of a clock standing still lol.
    You watched the most basic film imaginable, but it's not different to watching a film at the cinema, which is just a shit ton of still images being moved across a lamp and lens at, I think, 24hz (I just had to check that, I'm right). So you're seeing 24 still images a second but your brain thinks you're seeing a moving image.

    That last comment made me laugh. As a kid it used to fascinate me that I could watch the second hand of a clock and occasionally one second seemed to take a little longer than usual. I was never sure if it was a mechanical imperfection or a perception thing, but I felt like I was mentally stretching out a second, if that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  28. #29878
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    I hope we'll be able to model a brain computationally during my lifetime and get a better understanding of wth is going on in there.
    Yeah well, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one lol.

    I'm a computational modeling skeptic mainly for the reason that it's a synthetic rather than analytic approach. Iow, it could someday tell us ONE possible way in which a machine like the brain could be working, but can't exclude other possibilities.

    The analytic approach would involve measuring the activity of billions of cells with trillions of connections between them firing many times per second. This just isn't feasible in any way.

    The combinatorial explosion of possibilities in such a complex system makes figuring it out on a detailed level pretty much impossible imo.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  29. #29879
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You watched the most basic film imaginable, but it's not different to watching a film at the cinema, which is just a shit ton of still images being moved across a lamp and lens at, I think, 24hz (I just had to check that, I'm right). So you're seeing 24 still images a second but your brain thinks you're seeing a moving image.
    Yeah fair point. I thought about this afterwards. I suppose what made the demonstration I described so striking was that it was so simple, and thus so obvious your own brain was just gaslighting you into thinking you'd seen something you hadn't.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I was never sure if it was a mechanical imperfection or a perception thing, but I felt like I was mentally stretching out a second, if that makes any sense.
    Yeah it's fucking weird how that happens.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  30. #29880
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    The physics of vision is amazing and confounding, IMO.

    Like, the thing about 24 frames a second being enough to trick us into seeing smooth motion is only scratching the surface, but it is related to the lazy second hand on a clock phenomenon, too. Our eyes respond to light stimulus in a time-averaging manner, over very short time scales. It takes time for a photon to be absorbed by a rod or cone in the eye, and for that rod or cone to be reset into its ready state to receive another photon.
    Kinda like turning on and off a switch. It takes a moment for that "signal received" state to be reset to a "waiting for signal" state.
    And the brain has had to deal with this from birth. So it takes that switching time as if the signal is on during the whole time, and then assumes it will stay the same until the next signal comes in... which may not happen if it's pitch dark, but you'll see that after-image behind it, because your brain was expecting the same thing, then it wasn't there, so it time-averages the expectation with the actual.

    There's time-averaging going on in the quantum mechanical process of absorbing a photon, then having that state reset. Then there's more time-averaging in the processing of that signal into an image in the brain.


    Now there's the issue of motion-blur. I'm sure we've all seen what happens when a camera rapidly swings from one position to another. The image goes all blurry when the camera is rotating. Well... same thing happens to the image your eye sees when you swing your head around. However, your brain just filters all that out as "useless" information, and it filters it so well, that we're not even conscious of the fact that LOADS of the information coming in from our eyes is in this motion blur phase. The brain just totally ignores it. Having done so, there's this break in time in our visual perception. The brain "solves" that by retroactively stitching the image you see after the motion blur onto the time that was motion blurred.
    So like, you swing your eyes from left to right, e.g. Your brain makes you "see" the image on the right from the moment you started to move your eyes, not the moment your eyes came to rest at the right.

    When you look at a clock, and the second hand seems to hang there for too long, that's because the second hand had just ticked in the moment before you looked at it. Your brain filtered out the confusing motion-blur of swinging your eyes around, and then stitched back in time, the image it received when the motion blur stopped. Adding few hundred milliseconds to the image of the second hand standing still. That's a notable %-age of a second, and you notice that extra time, even though your brain lied to you about what you were actually seeing.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  31. #29881
    Yeah, the brain cancels out any visual input that happens during an eye movement. It does this so well that you are essentially blind during this time -i.e., if an object changes position slightly while you're making an eye movement, you won't notice it. That's what happens when the clock hand seems to 'hang'.

    The brain then updates your perception based on a combination of the position of your eye in its orbit and a copy the signal sent to the muscles controlling your eyes after you finish each eye movement. If it didn't, the world would appear to shift every time you move your eyes because the image on the retina is going in the opposite direction to the eye movement.

    A way to demonstrate this is to move your eyeball passively. Close one eye, then take your finger and place it on the bottom lid of the other eye, then gently push the lid and your eyeball up (i.e, using the lid as a shield, without putting your finger actually in your eye ldo). Because there is no signal that your eye moved deliberately, the effect will be that the world appears to move instead.

    Good times.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  32. #29882
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    It's an interesting topic, perceived time compression.

    I heard a story of a guy who was out hiking in the mountains when he started to slip off a cliff. He twisted and grabbed onto a plant which kept him from falling. The guy said that the moment he started to slip it seemed like time slowed down and he felt like he had all the time in the world to reach to the plant.

    There's elite athletes who report that when they're "in the zone," it seems like the game slows down, and they have more time to make decisions. I experienced this once myself playing basketball (not an elite athlete tho obv). I jumped up to take a shot and it felt like I was just hanging in midair while I aimed and shot. And I still have a very strong memory of looking at the basket and shooting, even tho it was also many years ago. Very weird.

    Adrenaline might explain some of it, certainly during the lightning incident I got a big jolt (no pun intended) of it. But there's been other times when the blood was pumping that I didn't have the same experience of time slowing down. And I certainly wouldn't put a scrum game of basketball in the same category as almost getting hit by lightning in terms of how arousing it was. But yet, it was the same experience in terms of how time slowed down. Point is, it can't all be explained by adrenaline.

    Maybe it's more about focus. Like, if your attention gets focussed on one thing very, very intensely, then your perception centers are working very hard on processing the details of it and more of that event gets stored in your memory, which makes it seem to happen more slowly. Or something. Dunno really.
    Reading this it makes me think that I experience "flow state" or whatever we want to call this far more often than the average person or you experience it far less. It's kinda like meditating but instead of clearing the mind, the mind is bombarded with stimulus. Like there's so much stimulus that you have no choice but to hyper focus.
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.
  33. #29883
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    Reading this it makes me think that I experience "flow state" or whatever we want to call this far more often than the average person or you experience it far less.
    Interesting. How often does the average person experience it? I mean, if I find out people are getting in the zone while taking out the garbage while I have to wait for a near-death experience or some freak game of basketball I'm gonna be pissed. I don't even play basketball anymore.

    Also, is it an on/off thing or more like a continuum thing, like there's a range of how much time slows down from the standard experience? Intuitively I suspect the latter.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  34. #29884
    So the plumbing work started today. I have boxed up everything and put all my stuff into storage around the house, expecting the workers to have to pull up my floorboards and perhaps even dismantle the fitted wardrobe so they can lay pipes, but it turns out there's already pipes in place and they only needed to pull up one floorboard for access. Several days of sorting my shit out and I didn't need to do it.

    On the plus side, I'll finally be able to have a bath after three years of showers. And we'll have proper central heating instead of plug in radiators. I can't fucking wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  35. #29885
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Dude... that's awesome!

    Now you can make yourself into soup.

    Congrats.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  36. #29886
    Honestly I hate showering a love bathing. One's a chore and the other is a pleasure. And to have central heating in time for winter is amazing. This is an elite upgrade in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  37. #29887
    Welcome to the 20th century world of central heating Ong. Well, except for the bathing, that's more 19th century.

    Central heating is defo something you will appreciate though.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  38. #29888
    Holy fucking shit Christmas pudding flavoured chocolate digestives, life just keeps improving.

    Central heating is definitely something I appreciate when I have it. Mom's house is always warm in winter. But it's a luxury for me, not something I have had in many of the houses I've lived, and even when I have had it, it's expensive and has to be rationed.

    The kitchen in this house in an extension to the original building, so naturally it's the coldest room in the house. It sucks making toast in a cold kitchen, the butter struggles to melt. I hate butter not melting on my toast, it's a bad start to the day. But soon the kitchen has a working radiator. My toast is saved.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  39. #29889
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  40. #29890
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    What flavor is Christmas Pudding?
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  41. #29891
    Do you guys not have Christmas pudding?

    Dominant ingredients tends to be raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, apricot, orange zest, rum, cinnamon.




    It's one of those things that can either be absolutely delicious or nasty, depending on the ingredients and how well it's cooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  42. #29892
    It's unique to the UK afaik. Never came across it anywhere else. And yea, it can be tasty.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  43. #29893
    Must be served with hot custard.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  44. #29894
    Elk be like "I'm tired of this shit."


    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  45. #29895
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Elk be like "I'm tired of this shit."
    badum tiss

    Man what a dad-joke.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  46. #29896
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Do you guys not have Christmas pudding?

    Dominant ingredients tends to be raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, apricot, orange zest, rum, cinnamon.

    It's one of those things that can either be absolutely delicious or nasty, depending on the ingredients and how well it's cooked.
    We don't have anything called Christmas Pudding, no. What you describe wouldn't likely pass as a "pudding" in the US, so it could exist with a different name in some regions. I've never seen it in St Louis.

    It does sound a little bit like fruitcake in the US (is obv not the same, though).
    Fruitcake *can* be amazing, but more often, it's kinda just weird-tasting.

    If you get a good one, you can set it on cheesecloth and a large piece of aluminum foil.
    Add a shot of rum to the cheesecloth and then seal it in the foil for a few days up to a week or so.
    Once the rum soaks into the loaf, it's like 5x better.

    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  47. #29897
    Pudding here is simply whatever sweet food you eat after dinner.

    It's similar to fruitcake (at least what we call fruitcake) but also distinct. It's not as dry for a start. It's richer, too, generally more flavours than fruitcake, but that obviously depends on the cake in question.

    If you get a good one, you can set it on cheesecloth and a large piece of aluminum foil.Add a shot of rum to the cheesecloth and then seal it in the foil for a few days up to a week or so.
    Once the rum soaks into the loaf, it's like 5x better.
    This might be the secret to Christmas pudding. I'm not sure how it's made or what makes it different in texture and flavour to fruitcake, but it might have something to do with the rum (or brandy).
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  48. #29898
    That elk woke up all coming down off drugs, with broken antlers and no tyre, thinking "what the fuck did I do last night?"
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  49. #29899
    What are the green things in that fruitcake? I don't trust whatever that is. If it's dried apple or pear then ok, otherwise it probably shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  50. #29900
    Just had more of those biscuits. The specific flavours are not in the ingredients list, not in plain English anyway, but I think there's a hint of glazed cherry, cinnamon, and raisin. They taste really good, though they're not quite as nice as the limited edition Cheery Bakewell ones they did recently. Holy fucking shit they were elite.

    You have Cherry Bakewell, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  51. #29901
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    What are the green things in that fruitcake? I don't trust whatever that is. If it's dried apple or pear then ok, otherwise it probably shouldn't be there.
    Pistachio I think?

    It's not like kale or anything. It's fruit, nuts, and cake.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  52. #29902
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Pudding here is simply whatever sweet food you eat after dinner. .
    aka "dessert" in N. America.

    It took me a couple nights out to get that, like why is everyone ordering pudding for dessert? That's weird. Oh wait... "pudding" means "dessert."

    In N. America, pudding is a very specific type of dessert, like a chocolate pudding. Nutella would be the closest thing I can think of you can find in the UK. Obviously real pudding is not that sweet, but you get the idea. you can probably get what we'd call pudding here, but I don't know what it's called. It's usually like a creamy sort of chocolate stuff, though I can imagine it being made out of other things as well, like fruits, but main thing is it's the consistency of yoghurt but sweet.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 11-09-2021 at 02:19 PM.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  53. #29903
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Just had more of those biscuits. The specific flavours are not in the ingredients list, not in plain English anyway, but I think there's a hint of glazed cherry, cinnamon, and raisin. They taste really good, though they're not quite as nice as the limited edition Cheery Bakewell ones they did recently. Holy fucking shit they were elite.

    You have Cherry Bakewell, right?

    Not where I'm from. I'm sure you can get something similar, but it'd just be called a cake with a cherry on top.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  54. #29904
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,256
    Location
    Finding my game
    Never had christmas pudding, never been that into fruitcakes or dry cakes like that. I've always figured it's similar to the italian panettone. Italians make some of the best desserts on the planet, so wth is up with that?
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  55. #29905
    Christmas pudding isn't a dry cake, that's the main thing that makes it different to fruitcake. Looking at a random recipe, orange juice is one ingredient. The flour will soak that up and unless it's overcooked a lot of that water will be retained.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  56. #29906
    Looking at images of panettone, it's not similar at all. That looks like a dry fruitcake, looks a bit dry for my liking, not nearly enough fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  57. #29907
    This looks like good fruitcake to me...

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  58. #29908
    Quote Originally Posted by poop
    Nutella would be the closest thing I can think of you can find in the UK.
    That's not pudding here. That's a spread, and it's nasty. Fuck Nutella.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  59. #29909
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Fuck Nutella.
    How dare you question my tastes? I demand satisfaction, you cur.

    If I was about to be executed, a big glob of nutella would be part of my last meal. But I'd want it close to execution time so I didn't have to feel like shit an hour after eating a big glob of nutella like I usually do.

    Also, banana bread and carrot cake > fruit cake imo. Fruit cake is way down near the bottom of my list of favourite desserts.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  60. #29910
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Never had christmas pudding, never been that into fruitcakes or dry cakes like that. I've always figured it's similar to the italian panettone. Italians make some of the best desserts on the planet, so wth is up with that?
    xmas pudding is moist to the point of being close to liquid on the inside. I think that's what makes it actually palatable.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  61. #29911
    I mean if we're talking favourite desserts then apple crumble is clear winner for me. The only dessert that could possibly be superior is pear crumble, which I haven't ever had but really fucking want.

    Honestly, last week there was one night where I thought "fuck it" and had an entire apple crumble with custard for dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  62. #29912
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Honestly, last week there was one night where I thought "fuck it" and had an entire apple crumble with custard for dinner.
    Pigging out like that is kind of like drinking ten pints in one night. It seems like a good idea while you're doing it, but the next day you end up regretting it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  63. #29913
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I mean if we're talking favourite desserts then apple crumble is clear winner for me.
    Chocolate chip cheesecake for me. The Waitrose near me used to sell these by the slice, which was perfect because if I tried to eat a whole cake by myself before it went off just the thought of it curdling around my gut for a week would put me off.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  64. #29914
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Pigging out like that is kind of like drinking ten pints in one night. It seems like a good idea while you're doing it, but the next day you end up regretting it.
    I felt fine, it's not like it's a habit. It had been sitting in my freezer for a month and it was too big to eat as a dessert, so I thought I'd just eat the lot with custard for dinner. It's like how kids imagine what adulting is like, only real life adulting.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  65. #29915
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,659
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    What are the green things in that fruitcake? I don't trust whatever that is. If it's dried apple or pear then ok, otherwise it probably shouldn't be there.
    They're cherries. FYI candy cherries are not bright fire-engine-red when picked. They've been bred to be basically clear and then are dyed red... or in this case red and also green for the Christmas color scheme.

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You have Cherry Bakewell, right?
    Never heard of it.
    Googled it. Never seen it.
    Looks good, though. Almond and cherry are great sweet flavors.

    ***
    Poopy nailed it on the pudding / dessert definition difference.
    Nutella isn't really a pudding, but he did note that.

    A pudding is like... the consistency of a custard pie. Or like the lemon bit under the merangue in a lemon merangue pie.
    Nutella is altogether thicker than a pudding, but a pudding is just a bit closer to the fluid state in that dance between liquid and solid.

    I do agree with ong that Nutella is nothing I get excited about.

    Obv banana bread and carrot cake are superior to fruit cake. Total agreement, there.


    My all-time favorite dessert is probably Kanafeh, which is not easy to find in St Louis, but there is a place.
    A more practical answer would be Tiramisu.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  66. #29916
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,256
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    A more practical answer would be Tiramisu.
    This.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  67. #29917
    https://twitter.com/AITA_online/stat...D&refsrc=email

    It's funny for two reasons:

    1) The sister thinking the husband is going to get sick because a cat sat in a roasting pan, then making her mom go and buy a new one so they don't have to eat out of the one the cat was in.

    2) The guy having to ask if he's the asshole.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  68. #29918
    These accounts are gold. best of nextdoor and aita.

    https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/s...21699371151360
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  69. #29919
    So this terrorist decides to blow up a cathedral in Liverpool during the moment of silence on Remembrance Day. Books a taxi driver to take him there. Taxi driver sniffs him out, stops the cab, gets out and locks the terrorist in the cab. Terrorist tries to drive himself to the cathedral but blows up on the way. Taxi driver unhurt.

    Fucking cunt.


    https://twitter.com/ChannelUK1/statu...95658019790853


    Oh, and apparently he can't tell time either because he bomb went off at 10.59, 12 minutes before the moment of silence at 11.11

    Stupid cunt.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  70. #29920
    Have you seen Four Lions? One of the greatest British comedies. Four idiotic terrorists blow up a fun run. The terrorists are actually likable. If you haven't seen that, add it to your watchlist. Directed by Chris Morris, the guy who created Brass Eye and The Day Today (political satire).
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  71. #29921
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  72. #29922
    That's so stupid it's funny. Don't really get what the Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels character is doing in it, but yeah whatever.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  73. #29923
    The whole film is on youtube. Fuck it, I'm gonna watch it.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  74. #29924
    pfft age restricted can't embed, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  75. #29925
    it was deeply upsetting to see poop explain pudding as a less sweet nutella.

    (American) Pudding is a relatively thick custard (milk base thickened with egg). Panna cotta is similar but is thickened with gelatin rather than egg. Custard is the greatest class of desert-- so much so that, as Ong alluded to, a thin custard used as a sauce greatly enhances lesser deserts, and provides exponential returns when used to top a thicker custard.
    You-- yes, you-- you're a cunt.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •