Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,287,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Randomness thread, part two.

Page 390 of 394 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392 ... LastLast
Results 29,176 to 29,250 of 29528
  1. #29176
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,678
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    This guy I mentioned once found out that a truck he was supposed to use that day had run out of gas, so he decided to siphon some out of another truck. He couldn't get a siphon going so he finally took a deep breath and gave the hose a really big suck, and ended up inhaling about a gallon of gas into his lungs. The boss found him lying on the ground gasping for breath, and took him to hospital, where he spent a few days. The best part was they made him quit smoking lol.

    Another time he swung a large pipe around without looking (we worked in an irrigation company so there was always pipe involved) and hit the boss in the head. Clang! lol

    Another time he drove 40 miles out to a farm with the parking brake on. When we got there he smelled the smoke and thought they were having a barbecue. Turned out, no, it was the truck's tires that were melting.

    Man just thinking about this guy is making me laugh. And just to make it better, his actual real name was Wally Woo.
    Happened to my uncle once trying to get diesel from one traktor to the other. Apparently it's not an uncommon thing to do for farmers when they're out on the field.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  2. #29177
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I believed you all the way until you said his name.
    Wally in Canada does not mean anything bad, so yeah people name their kids Wally or Walter - for a Chinese parent it sounds English and is pretty easy for the parents to pronounce.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  3. #29178
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Happened to my uncle once trying to get diesel from one traktor to the other. Apparently it's not an uncommon thing to do for farmers when they're out on the field.
    Walter Wuntz.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  4. #29179
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Got my first shot yesterday.

    April Fools!

    Nah except I actually did. I think it's funny af that it happened on April 1 though.
  5. #29180
    The April Fools was that it was actually a shot of estrogen.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  6. #29181
    My niece was born on April 1st, I can't wait for her to turn 18 so I can tell her she has £1000+ I've been saving up for years, then give her a card with £20 in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  7. #29182
    I am downstairs, my dog is upstairs. I put my coat on to take him to the park, and he charges down the stairs, excited.

    Ok, obviously he can either hear it or smell it (or he's psychic). But I can't figure out which.

    Intuitively, hearing it makes more sense. But it's not exactly a "loud" coat. It's leather and has a zipper, but not a loud one. The sound of me putting my arms in the sleeves is louder than the sound the zipper makes. So unless his hearing is about 20x better than mine, he shouldn't hear it from all the way upstairs.

    Could he be smelling it? Definitely his nose is good enough. The question is if the coat molecules can get up the stairs in less than 30 sec. I'm just not sure they could.

    Anyone have any insights?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  8. #29183
    Probably the noise. Their hearing is a great deal better than ours. Any noise that coat makes, whether it's the zip, you putting your arms in the coat, a combination, it's noise the dog will hear and associate with going for walkies.

    Smell might be a thing here too, but I would lean towards hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  9. #29184
    You could experiment with the dog. Try a different coat, one you very rarely wear, and when you put it on, shake your usual coat slowly so it releases molecules but doesn't make its usual "putting on" sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  10. #29185
    Some dogs have been reported (and apparently observed) getting excited when their owner leaves work. In some cases I've even seen the owner claim they leave work at different times. Simple noises like car doors closing are unique, and quite loud. The dog might be able to hear it, even miles away.

    These reports seem speculative, I can't find anything on youtube but I only did a quick search. But certainly they are very switched on when it comes to these kind of things.

    The sound of you opening a tin of dog food is enough to have them come running to the kitchen. Sound travels faster than smell, that's for sure. Leads that make metallic noises are definitely a trigger too.

    My Mom used to have a dog called Penny, she used to escape over the fence and roam the neighbourhood. Rather than go looking for her, we'd just put her dinner out and shout "dinner" from the front door. A few minutes later she'd be seen running back towards the house, tail wagging. Of course we'd then take the dinner away because we don't want to reward her absconding, dumb twat still returned every time we did this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  11. #29186
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I'd lean toward hearing. Predators tend to have excellent hearing.

    Dogs smell much better than humans, but the "speed of smell" is a complicated matter of fluid dynamics, and I'm hard pressed to imagine a scenario where a smell could move faster than the sound associated with it. Sound is passed by molecules bouncing off each other and passing along that momentum to other particles. For smell to transfer, the molecule that smells has to move to a nose.

    Not to mention your coat presumably smells a lot the same as your other clothes.

    I don't know the exact specifics of your home or dog, but my initial hypothesis is the sound.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  12. #29187
    If a smell were to move faster than sound, it would cause a sonic boom. Is that what happens when I fart?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  13. #29188
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    If a smell were to move faster than sound, it would cause a sonic boom. Is that what happens when I fart?
    Haha, you should do an experiment.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  14. #29189
    I intuitively lean towards hearing too. But I have a hard time believing he can hear me putting on my coat from the other end of the house.

    The sound of me putting my arms in my sleeves is louder than the sound of the zipper, fwiw. Though I guess the latter might hit some high frequency range only dogs could hear.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  15. #29190
    Here's a floorplan of a house similar to mine. I'm in the kitchen and he's usually in Bedroom 2 when this happens.



    So, he's about 40 feet away, and around several corners.

    Also, might be germane that he doesn't come running the instant I put my coat on, but about 10 seconds later, as I'm walking over to get his treats, but before I touch the bag.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  16. #29191
    I don't think there are going to be too many real world examples of smelling something before you can hear it. The particle you're smelling would have to break the sound barrier, not only that but its average speed would need to be >Mach1 from source to nose, so it would need to begin at an even more ridiculous speed to maintain this average.

    Seems absurd really. You're probably smell a nuke before you heard it, but the shockwave would rip you to pieces, so you wouldn't hear it anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  17. #29192
    I intuitively lean towards hearing too. But I have a hard time believing he can hear me putting on my coat from the other end of the house.
    I don't have a hard time believing this at all. Dogs' hearing is exceptional.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  18. #29193
    Also, not an expert on fluid dynamics, but I assume that as soon as I pick up the coat, coat molecules start coming off it into the air. There's also presumably some background concentration of coat molecules that I assume he can smell all the time, so he'd have to be noticing the difference in concentration.

    There's also some possibility that I'm giving off a smell too that changes when I decide to get ready for the park.

    Dog's sense of hearing is about 4x that of humans, sense of smell is closer to 10,000x. I've read somewhere that a dog in the same house as you not only knows which room you're in from smell, but also knows what you're doing (what they mean by knows what you're doing is a bit vague).

    Dunno.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  19. #29194
    Also, not an expert on fluid dynamics, but I assume that as soon as I pick up the coat, coat molecules start coming off it into the air.
    I would have thought so, but these molecules will be mostly dirt rather than coat. A few coat molecules would probably be released, but I would imagine that the number of non-coat molecules would be a lot greater.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  20. #29195
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't think there are going to be too many real world examples of smelling something before you can hear it. The particle you're smelling would have to break the sound barrier, not only that but its average speed would need to be >Mach1 from source to nose, so it would need to begin at an even more ridiculous speed to maintain this average.

    Seems absurd really. You're probably smell a nuke before you heard it, but the shockwave would rip you to pieces, so you wouldn't hear it anyway.
    Yeah I mean obv. the smell isn't going to beat the sound to his senses. I just find it hard to believe he can hear it at all. Also, if he does hear it, why not come running right away? Why wait 10sec? Maybe he's asleep or something I guess...
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  21. #29196
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I would have thought so, but these molecules will be mostly dirt rather than coat. A few coat molecules would probably be released, but I would imagine that the number of non-coat molecules would be a lot greater.
    Dunno. It's a leather coat, and if I wave it around I definitely get a whiff of leather. I assume that's coat molecules, not dirt.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  22. #29197
    Dog's sense of hearing is about 4x that of humans
    This seems massively understated. I mean I'm no expert, but 4x better hearing isn't all that impressive. I'd expect it to be at least an order of magnitude higher than this figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #29198
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This seems massively understated. I mean I'm no expert, but 4x better hearing isn't all that impressive. I'd expect it to be at least an order of magnitude higher than this figure.
    I should say it's 4x the distance, concentrated more at the higher frequencies than ours. So a rough equivalent would be a human hearing me putting on my coat from ~10 feet away and around one corner of the house. I suppose that's plausible...
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  24. #29199
    I guess the other question is whether a coat molecule could travel 40 ft around corners in ~ 10 sec. Seems a bit much.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  25. #29200
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I mean... be an experimentalist and break it down.

    Take your coat out and shake it, then put it back in the closet. See if dog comes.

    If yes -> hypothesize this is the trigger for dog to come and try to disconfirm.

    If no -> add the next baby step in your preparation to go for a walk and repeat.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  26. #29201
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Location
    Finding my game
    Just to exclude the obvious, you aren't putting on your shoes or picking up your keys or anything similar in this scenario? How punctual are your walks?
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  27. #29202
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I should say it's 4x the distance, concentrated more at the higher frequencies than ours. So a rough equivalent would be a human hearing me putting on my coat from ~10 feet away and around one corner of the house. I suppose that's plausible...
    Yeah I briefly read an article to see what the experts say and it's really not as simple as putting a number on it. There's more to hearing than simple sound. Like you say, frequency is important. Also volume, distance, other sensory distractions, breed of dog... there are a lot of factors. It's just in my experience, dogs have always had ridiculously good hearing, far superior to mine. They'll hear the postman open the gate, car doors closing, dog food tins being opened, things that I would never hear or at least recognise as distinct sounds. I mean, I'd probably hear a car door being slammed shut, but I wouldn't know the difference between my housemate and the neighbour doing it for example.

    I guess the other question is whether a coat molecule could travel 40 ft around corners in ~ 10 sec. Seems a bit much.
    Probably a single molecule could, but enough for the dog to pick up on? That's a ridiculously difficult thing to demonstrate.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  28. #29203
    Also if a dog can hear things at x4 the distance, based on the inverse square law that would be 16x better hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  29. #29204
    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    Just to exclude the obvious, you aren't putting on your shoes or picking up your keys or anything similar in this scenario?
    Nope. I'm sitting at the kitchen table on the computer, finish whatever I'm doing, then grab my coat off the seat next to me and put it on. 10sec later he's running down the stairs.


    Quote Originally Posted by CoccoBill View Post
    How punctual are your walks?
    Not enough to set your watch to.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  30. #29205
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Yeah I briefly read an article to see what the experts say and it's really not as simple as putting a number on it. There's more to hearing than simple sound. Like you say, frequency is important. Also volume, distance, other sensory distractions, breed of dog... there are a lot of factors. It's just in my experience, dogs have always had ridiculously good hearing, far superior to mine. They'll hear the postman open the gate, car doors closing, dog food tins being opened, things that I would never hear or at least recognise as distinct sounds. I mean, I'd probably hear a car door being slammed shut, but I wouldn't know the difference between my housemate and the neighbour doing it for example.
    Yeah, it's not really enough to know they can hear things I can't. It's a question of how much and how far and all that shit.




    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Probably a single molecule could, but enough for the dog to pick up on? That's a ridiculously difficult thing to demonstrate.
    That would be so cool. Isn't their sensitivity in parts/billion or something ridiculous like that.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  31. #29206
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I mean... be an experimentalist and break it down.

    Take your coat out and shake it, then put it back in the closet. See if dog comes.

    If yes -> hypothesize this is the trigger for dog to come and try to disconfirm.

    If no -> add the next baby step in your preparation to go for a walk and repeat.

    Reasonable idea. But, what if he's not just smelling the coat, but smelling me moving around at the same time, or smelling some change in my blood pressure or some other ninja dog scent thing.

    How about I record the sound I make next time, then the next day play it back and see if he comes. That would work I think.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  32. #29207
    I just shook the coat and he came. It did make some sound though.



    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  33. #29208
    Another cool thing about this is he only cares if it's the coat I wear to the park that I put on. If I put on my other coat, nothing.

    So either he can tell them apart by sound, or by smell.

    Dogs are awesome.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  34. #29209
    Dogs are definitely awesome.

    I'm still thinking sound, but shaking the coat and getting his attention is interesting. I would say it's a certainty that different coats have different sounds, in the same way different car doors do. But shaking the coat is, well, not the usual "walkies" sound. It's going to make a different sound to when you put it on normally. Having said that, it will still have a distinct pitch, a "that coat" sound. Just picking it up might be enough, what you do after is irrelevant.

    Recording the sound is definitely one potential experiment, but how certain are we that the recording is a true copy of the sound? We might not be able to tell the difference but the dog might, certain pitches might record better than others. The compression of the file might change the sound sufficiently for the dog to not recognise it.

    It could be smell. It just seems so unlikely compared to sound.

    Ok here's an experiment you can do. Point a fan at you so the wind is blowing in the opposite direction to where the dog is. The noise of the fan might be a problem, interfering with the sound, but what it will do is ensure that molecules released from the coat are going in the wrong direction for the dog to smell it.

    If the fan is too noisy, I guess we'll have to get technical. Close all the windows and turn the heat up in the house. This will increase pressure relative to the outside. Now sit by a window, open it, and quickly put the coat on. The pressure differential will cause the molecules to move towards the window, leaving just the sound, with no fan to interfere.

    I'm genuinely curious. I'll be really surprised if it's smell.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  35. #29210
    41 gun salute in Plymouth today to honour the Duke.
    Macron has phoned Boris to surrender.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  36. #29211
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    41 gun salute? Is that a thing? I've heard of a 21 gun salute (which is really a 7 gun salute 3 times), but I do not know the symbolic meaning of 21, so ... sure why not 41? But do all 41 guns fire at once, then? (41 is a prime number)
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  37. #29212
    I've no idea. So I just checked.

    Seems like bullshit tradition. Basically it's your 21 gun salute with an extra 20 if it's fired from a "Royal Park", such as Hyde Park, but if Hyde Park do 41, it seems they'll all do 41, even the ships at sea. There's 62 if it's from the Tower of London. The (probable) record for most rounds fired in a single salute turns out to have been (get this) when Prince Phillip's birthday coincided with the Saturday designated as the Queen's official birthday. They both got 62 each, so it was a 124 gun salute.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  38. #29213
    Not sure why the old bastard gets a 62 gun salute for his birthday but only a 41 gun salute for his death, but it seems that was indeed the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  39. #29214
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Makes me think somewhere in history, someone's gun jammed and so there was 1 fewer shot in the salute, and yada yada yada.
    Something trivial that was just a meme, but eventually no one remembered that the meme wasn't funny anymore, and now it's this permanent part of culture.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  40. #29215
    This freaked out a load of people in Poland. People didn't open their windows for two days because they were worried it would crawl into their house. Eventually they called the police.


    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  41. #29216
    Nobody going to try to guess what it is?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  42. #29217
    A giant caterpillar?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  43. #29218
    Nope. It's a croissant.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  44. #29219
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I'm pretty sure caterpillars can't get that big, due to the strength of chitin (their exoskeleton) and their internal pressure.

    Basically, you can show that giant insects are at least one horrifying science fiction future that cannot happen (given the properties of exoskeletons). If you look at the equations of stress in the walls of a pressurized cylinder, and you inject the physical properties of exoskeleton, you can show there's an upper bound on the volume it can contain at a given pressure.

    The internal pressure stays roughly the same as an insect grows, but the surface area increases, so the total force increases. This means the exoskeleton has to be thicker to provide the strength to oppose that force. There's a limit where the thickness of the exoskeleton needs to be more than 1 radius thick to sustain the internal pressure - meaning that there's no room left for innards to make pressure.


    Fun story: I know this because I was learning about hoop stress in college. A couple of us mechanical engineers were working on homework, and had the equation up on a white board while we were working on it. Then a Biomedical engineering student comes in and asks us why we have the caterpillar equation on the board. After some discussion, we confirmed that a caterpillar is roughly a cyllindrical pressure vessal, and the equation (or something quite similar - a caterpillar isn't a perfect cylinder) applies.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  45. #29220
    Yeah it looks bigger than this prehistoric dragonfly thing.





    But if I saw this in my tree I would definitely call the cops. Or the SWAT team.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  46. #29221
    The world's strongest man is vegan.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  47. #29222
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  48. #29223
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Cool.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  49. #29224
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  50. #29225
    Convo on twitter...

    How can I acquired this safeMoon coin without buying? Cus I have no money to buy it


    Beg on twitter by posting your wallet address, make sure you add the #safemoon hashtag, throw in #safemoonarmy too, then spend the day refreshing your wallet balance while being sad.

    0xecc6541FC7054501520085751aE83DF4365DDbC2 please ooooo


    Check your wallet.


    I have done that


    Did it make you sad?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  51. #29226
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Took me a bit, but it's in the dead center of the pic.

    It curves like an S-shape back and forth.
    Look for the dark chevrons.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  52. #29227
    Well done. I took a look but quickly dismissed it as trolling. With your effort I just double checked and I do see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  53. #29228
    I looked at it for ages and never saw it until someone zoomed in on the bit with the snake in it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  54. #29229
    Love this channel. Sincerely hoping this guy doesn't blow himself up.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuW_VbKdvMI
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  55. #29230
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    NileRed is one of the science YouTube channels I follow, even though I tend to not be a fan of the work of chemistry, I do find it entertaining when someone else is going to the effort of doing all the work.

    Of all the science YouTubers who I'd put on a list of "I wouldn't be at all surprised if this person gets seriously injured out of a reckless disregard for safety." I wouldn't put Nigel on the list.

    This guy, on the other hand...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2a..._dlSxCw/videos
    is using a 3d printer to print solid fuel rocket motors out of the printing plastic, and then testing them indoors with no breathing gear or any nod to increasing the ventilation. Often with his (presumably younger) sister in the room.

    I had to stop watching Cody's Lab years ago because I was simply too cringed out over his sense of safety. I just found the Integza channel, and it looks like he's listening to his fans tell him how to be safer and is slowly getting better. If that keeps up, I'll keep watching his vids.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  56. #29231
    Yeah he seems fairly safety conscious. Still, I saw him sniffing arsenic vapor to see if it really smelled like almonds and I was a bit like "well, I don't care how safe you make it, I wouldn't be doing that."

    That Russian guy (forget his name) was famous for almost blowing himself up in every video.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  57. #29232
    Accidentally bought some white chocolate today. I don't know how anyone can eat that shit, it's practically 99% sugar.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  58. #29233
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Accidentally bought some white chocolate today. I don't know how anyone can eat that shit, it's practically 99% sugar.
    ... and 0% cocoa.

    It's basically just the fat separated from the cocoa mixed with a load of sugar.
    I generally don't favor it, either, but I had some white chocolate with coconut that was actually good. It was super-sweet, though.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  59. #29234
    I watch nilered and like his channel, but he definitely comes across as a teacher's pet kind of guy. The way he describes his experiments probably gives his former chemistry teacher a raging hardon. He's very thorough.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  60. #29235
    White chocolate is awesome. Freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  61. #29236
    I had to stop watching Cody's Lab years ago because I was simply too cringed out over his sense of safety
    Cody is great. He's not that reckless. Maybe he's improved his safety since you abandoned him.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  62. #29237
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Cody is great. He's not that reckless. Maybe he's improved his safety since you abandoned him.
    Alright. I'll look into his channel again.

    Is he still wearing chain mail as a weight loss program? lol.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  63. #29238
    I saw that one, made me chuckle too.

    I like Cody partly for the lab, but also because he grows cool things. Haven't actually watched him for a while but he's definitely someone I enjoy watching. He's just such a nice guy really, geeky as hell, a bit funny with a dose of cringe, and doing cool things.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  64. #29239
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Does anyone here have tinnitus?

    I do. I've been messing around with a tone generator to explore whether the tone I hear is always constant or if it varies.
    What I've found is that the tone is ~8,700 Hz, and if I play a pure tone at that frequency, then stop it, my own tinnitus stops for about 5 seconds.

    Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with anything like that.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  65. #29240
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Does anyone here have tinnitus?

    I do. I've been messing around with a tone generator to explore whether the tone I hear is always constant or if it varies.
    What I've found is that the tone is ~8,700 Hz, and if I play a pure tone at that frequency, then stop it, my own tinnitus stops for about 5 seconds.

    Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with anything like that.

    You're probably saturating your auditory cortex with the tone. Just like if you eat some white chocolate the next thing you eat won't taste as sweet because the neurons' response habituates to a stimulus.

    I sometimes experience tinnitus that is in time with my heartbeat, and is like a white noise like TV static rather than a ringing (though I've experienced a few seconds of that at a time before as well). My best guess is it is the nerves in my face/jaw causing interference with my auditory nerve, as the sound changes if I move my jaw.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  66. #29241
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Instructions unclear.
    All sound is muffled, and the white chocolate keeps melting down the side of my face.


    I've discovered I have a white noise tinnitus hiding behind the constant tone, which I only discovered by getting the constant tone to stop for a few seconds.

    Not sure if there's anything to do for this.

    I only even notice it when everything is otherwise silent, so it's not like it's a problem for me. More just a curiosity.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  67. #29242
    I thought you said your tinnitus stops for 5sec if you play a tone at the same frequency - that's what i was referring to.

    Yeah, I think it's pretty common really. Ringing and/or white noise. I think if it's not bothering you you could bring it up next trip to the doctor's, but no need to rush to the ER or anything.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  68. #29243
    I sometimes "hear" a subtle high pitched noise, like a tv is on with no signal, with black screen. Not like white noise static though, it's like a high pitched sine wave. It usually only lasts a few seconds and it's rare. I ignore it, it's not a problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  69. #29244
    I had something that I feel the "white noise" you guys are describing matches with. It wasn't really a tone, more a deep rushing water sort of sound. It bugged me at first, but then I thought of the short lived high pitched tinnitus that I've experienced and how that's constant for some people-- then I just noticed the sensation, but it didn't bother me.
  70. #29245
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I've actually discovered that if I can mute the 8700 Hz in my head for a second, I hear another, higher pitch above it.
    It is a major third up.

    I'm pretty glad I don't have perfect pitch, 'cause I bet that would really mess with me. As it is, I just tune it out most of the time.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  71. #29246
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,678
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    I had something that I feel the "white noise" you guys are describing matches with. It wasn't really a tone, more a deep rushing water sort of sound. It bugged me at first, but then I thought of the short lived high pitched tinnitus that I've experienced and how that's constant for some people-- then I just noticed the sensation, but it didn't bother me.
    Could be a blocked eustachian tube. Equalizing pressure often helps it clear up faster. I get that quite a lot and it's super annoying.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  72. #29247
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    In 4 days, my university will be awarding a degree to an 84 year old.

    He first attended Wash U in the 1940's. He dropped out to join the military during WWII with only 9 credits remaining to graduate.
    He lived a varied life as a musician and social worker, even headed a national organization called "Head Start."

    Then about a year ago, he decided to finish his degree. I guess they made a special allowance to count his decades-old college credits, and he took a few classes and finished his degree.

    Pretty cool story, I think.


    https://source.wustl.edu/2021/05/a-6...udent-to-alum/
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  73. #29248
    I've found when I yawn, I'm super sensitive to some internal noises, such as bass noises I can make with my vocal chords. It's like a door has been opened to my ears. It's really loud and sometimes I can do a flat four beat, and I have my very own techno.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  74. #29249
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Could be a blocked eustachian tube. Equalizing pressure often helps it clear up faster. I get that quite a lot and it's super annoying.
    Oh, interesting. How do you equalize pressure?

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I've found when I yawn, I'm super sensitive to some internal noises, such as bass noises I can make with my vocal chords. It's like a door has been opened to my ears. It's really loud and sometimes I can do a flat four beat, and I have my very own techno.
    Hell yeah.
  75. #29250
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Location
    Finding my game
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    How do you equalize pressure?
    Hold your nose shut with your fingers and try blowing out of it, your ears will pop.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •