Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,287,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

q for weed smokers

Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    Default q for weed smokers

    my experience with weed is solid but not expert. over the last several years i have only done it on average like once a year. a couple weeks ago i did some strong shit with some strong pulls. the high was very different than normal. i liked it but hated it. made me super open and super aggressive in my openness. given that im already a little like that, it was funky. it also changed my perceptions in some ways i dont understand, which brings me to my question:

    is it normal to get fucking depressed after the high? i mean, like, as i was coming down, i began getting disgusted with some shit regarding my surroundings and for the entire next 24 hours i was pretty down in the dumps. i asked my brother (whom i got it from and who smokes regularly) if the depression is normal and how he deals with it, and he said yes it's normal and he deals by just acknowledging that it's gonna happen. anyways, i almost dont ever wanna do it again because the depression and the disgust i felt for some things was just too visceral. is this effect normal or strain based or tolerance based or what?
  2. #2
    Weed related depression is not something I have a problem with, or at least if I do it's mild enough for me to live with. Perhaps that's the case with your bro.

    It's hard for me to say if it's normal to be depressed after a high, because you're smoking once a year and I'm smoking once an hour. It's certainly not normal for me, but it is normal for some people I know who used to smoke weed and stopped because it wasn't good for their mental wellbeing. Weed isn't for everyone, it effects people differently. My Stepdad also has a problem with it, he doesn't get depressed but his mind is way more active than mine when he's stoned, like hallucinations and paranoia. So he doesn't smoke it anymore.

    It's possibly a strong strain you're smoking, perhaps high in THC and low in CBD. If you smoke high CBD low THC weed, you're more likely to enjoy it because CBD is the medical side of things (relaxes) while THC is the headfuck side of things (actually being high).

    It's also possible that you have other shit going on in your life and smoking weed triggered a mental state that you were uncomfortable with. Stress relief is one big reason why weed is a big part of my life, but if the problem is too big, it can make it worse, like it's all you think about.

    The only advice I can really give is if you don't like how weed makes you feel, leave it alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  3. #3
  4. #4
    You sound like the type of person who tries too hard to have fun on drugs. Like you're paying too much attention to every little change, and only noticing things because you're actively looking for something to notice.

    I'm not sure what "aggressive openness" is all about. But there are people who just can't shut the fuck up when they're high. You might be one of them. Most 'inexperienced' smokers are like this. It's not unusual

    I think if you smoked a little more often, you would find yourself less amazed by the changes your body is experiencing. That will allow you to simply enjoy them more. Once you've done it a few times, you realize that nothing you say when you're stoned is as profound as you think, so most people tend to stop putting in the effort. Stop actively thinking and processing outputs from your brain. Rather, go into full receptor-mode and just accept stimuli as it comes.
  5. #5
    But there are people who just can't shut the fuck up when they're high. You might be one of them.
    Other people go quiet. It helps to have a chatty stoner sometimes, someome to stimulate conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  6. #6
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,665
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I don't have any ill effects after an hour or so, but I'm no expert. I just try it again once a year to make sure I still hate it.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    I don't have any ill effects after an hour or so, but I'm no expert. I just try it again once a year to make sure I still hate it.
    Its good at the end of a night when you've been doing other stuff, bar that not for me. Some strains are much better experiences but I've never tried anything I enjoy more than four pints.
  8. #8
    JKDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,799
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    How much do you need to get high? A gram?

    Asking for a friend.
  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
    How much do you need to get high? A gram?

    Asking for a friend.
    Nowhere near that. If you don't smoke you'd get high off scraps from a grinder in a cig sized joint.
  10. #10
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,507
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    My guess is that ong goes through something like a gram a day, give or take a bit.

    Anyone wanna take the under?
  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    My guess is that ong goes through something like a gram a day, give or take a bit.

    Anyone wanna take the under?
    Tough one.

    On one hand, he hasn't been shy about his lack of cash flow. Buying over an ounce a month should be a pretty hefty burden for someone in his position.

    On the other hand, he commonly refers to "smoking spliffs", which I assume is kooky limey talk for "joint". And in my experience, that's probably the least efficient way to smoke the stuff. Your level of high-ness usually maxes out before it's done burning.

    So I guess it depends on the method.

    If he's taking 1-2 hits every hour from a clean glass bowl, then I'll probably bet the under. If he really is rolling a dozen joints every single day puffing away, then he's certainly well over.

    For comparison purposes, I go through about a gram a day.
    Last edited by BananaStand; 09-06-2017 at 04:54 PM.
  12. #12
    It's about an ounce a month, which is roughly a gram a day. A gram is maybe five or six spliffs.

    Buying over an ounce a month should be a pretty hefty burden for someone in his position.
    Yep. I spend more on weed than I do food.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  13. #13
    as a non smoker bowls are a terrible way to smoke weed. Roll a spliff pass it round with friends taking a couple of drags & getting comfortable with what you have is the way forward. Bowls are like shots of unknown strength spirits who haven't drunk before to non-smokers.

    It's really shit though it's basically just a numbing agent.
  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    A gram is maybe five or six spliffs.
    For a hefty smoker, it's miles less otherwise. The same amount is plenty for like 4-6 people who don't smoke regularly.
  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    A gram is maybe five or six spliffs.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

    If that's the case, you're probably smoking more paper than you are weed. Your "spliffs" must be the size of toothpicks
  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

    If that's the case, you're probably smoking more paper than you are weed. Your "spliffs" must be the size of toothpicks
    Tobacco
  17. #17
    haha well I dunno how you're getting through a gram a day making more generous spliffs than I make.

    I'm smoking more tobacco than I am weed. It's probably a ratio around 75:25. I'd like them to be stronger but I'd smoke more weed and would be even more useless than I already am.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Tobacco
    !
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    !
    I think smoking it straight is more of us thing than over here. It's a terrible way of doing it because it burns like shit. If you don't like tobacco then you pipe it or edibles.
  20. #20
    omfg that's vile.
  21. #21
    a500lbgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28,133
    Location
    himself fucker.
    If you get the opportunity, get into therapy. I'm ultra-fortunate that mine is only 20 bucks a pop per visit as a co-pay once my deductible is up and just having a sounding board literally walk through your mental state, life history, and daily interactions is fucking awesome.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
  22. #22
    I wonder if therapy is any good for somebody who doesn't talk about certain things.
  23. #23
    a500lbgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28,133
    Location
    himself fucker.
    You're going to learn to talk about them p fast.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
  24. #24
    Isn't therapy just for pussies who are too self-obsessed?
  25. #25
    a500lbgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28,133
    Location
    himself fucker.
    Yup. Their entire job is just to help you.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
  26. #26
    Wuf, what you're describing sounds like what I sometimes feel after intense social interactions. I like being alone, but I think this causes my social interaction tank to back up-- then, sometimes, at a party or whatever, I'll be all over the place. By the end of the night, I'll feel exhausted, probably regret some of the interactions I had (probably, objectively, there wasn't anything much to regret), and the next day I might feel really spent. This has happened while drinking, sober, high, etc.

    So, maybe it was the weed, or maybe it's just correlation, or maybe the weed made you more open in that setting but would have been chill had you been on your own. But if the "hangover" was that bad, weed isn't all that great and it may be worth just practicing avoidance.
  27. #27
    flomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,610
    Location
    mashing potatoes
    Edibles
  28. #28
    Saw this old thread and now I understand, what all this depression was all about. So, it turns out that it's completely normal? Once again, I've realised that I don't need this shit. And smoking weed actually made me lose some money on PokerStars last month. BTW, I would say that cannabis is completely useless, but it can be used as a cure. I give Europe produced CBD gummies to my grandma because she has a lot of health problems. I guess this is the only way you can use weed. In all the other cases using it is a bad idea.
  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSidious View Post
    Saw this old thread and now I understand, what all this depression was all about. So, it turns out that it's completely normal? Once again, I've realised that I don't need this shit. And smoking weed actually made me lose some money on PokerStars last month. BTW, I would say that cannabis is completely useless, but it can be used as a cure. I give Europe produced CBD gummies to my grandma because she has a lot of health problems. I guess this is the only way you can use weed. In all the other cases using it is a bad idea.
    Man, can you tell me more about those? Do they have side effects? Are they really safe? How long do you give those to your grandma? And how often? The point is: I want to buy a similar stuff for my old man. I've even found where to buy Europe produced CBD gummies for a good price, but I still have doubts. Because, well, this is cannabis product. Maybe it's just my own prejudice, maybe not. Maybe we should find another way. But the doctor was specific. He said that the CBD is the stuff that can relieve my dad's spinal pain and help him with sleep. Does it work this way?
  30. #30
    I know someone who has MS. I went on holiday with him once to the Oktoberfest, and we stayed an hour away in Austria rather than Germany. One of the days we took the day off from drinking and went for a walk up a mountain next to the hotel. He had to stop around every half an hour to smoke some weed. He said it stopped his muscles from being tense. He told me there was no way he could manage this walk if he wasn't smoking. He took quite a risk bringing weed from England on holiday, and even got caught and fined in Munich. But for him it's the only medicine that allows him to even do these things.

    And when it comes to sleep, I can talk from personal experience. I can't afford to smoke weed all the time. I tend to buy in bulk at the beginning of the month, and the last week or two of the month I'm not smoking. I don't sleep anywhere near as well, I remember my dreams and wake up through the night. If I smoke before bed, I sleep very well. The only downside is that I do feel more hazy in the morning, like my head is in a cloud, but I kinda like that anyway.

    koelek, if your doc says cannabis will help your Father, listen to him. The CBD doesn't even get you high, it's THC that does that, so if you have CBD oil it's not even going to get him stoned. Your doc is not a stoner like me with a spliff hanging out of his mouth saying "weed is cool", he's a medical professional without bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  31. #31
    Feliciak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    2
    Location
    New South Wales Hornsby
    Ohhh man, and I was actually thinking that I am the only one who is facing this kind of "side effect" after smoking weed. The depression actually takes me really fast and I just do not know how to get rid of it, I mean I know... I just have to smoke another joint and everything will be fine, however after the joint is gone, I am depressed once again. I am not a hard smoker actually, I started to smoke weed because I was suffering of ptsd, and it really helped me. I was always looking for the best medical mj Canada as I wanted to smoke some top quality stuff.

    mod edit - link removed
    please do not post spam
    Last edited by OngBonga; 01-14-2021 at 10:37 AM.
  32. #32
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,507
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    My sleep problems are linked to anxiety, so I need to treat my anxiety to get my sleep back... but it's a vicious cycle because running on less sleep make my anxiety harder to deal with.

    As a first move, I'd talk to your GP (general practitioner - your primary care physician - whatever you call it) and see what they recommend. If they recommend a sleep drug and you're not comfortable with that, then tell them so. Ask if there are other options. If that's all they got, then I recommend starting the long and arduous process of finding a personal counselor / therapist / psychologist.


    I can't stress enough how much it sucks to try to find a good mental healthcare professional that you jive with. Especially if you're in a deep funk at the time and dealing with the added stress of the search is just not making anything easier. I know because I just went through it a couple months ago, and I damn well wish I'd have gotten all that started before I was in a bottomless pit.

    IDK how you feel about the image of therapy, and I do know that it took me a lot of nerve to get over the stigmas I learned surrounding therapy being raised in the 80's. Things are different now. Therapy is largely normalized, especially amidst the lockdowns and quarantines. It's about the best investment in myself I've ever made. If your finances can be made to allow for it, I 100% recommend talking to a counselor. They will help correctly identify the cause of your insomnia and treat it without drugs. By "treat" I mean they will show you a not self-destructive path to curing yourself. You do all the work in therapy. They just show you a path and you choose to walk it or not.


    I strongly recommend against self-diagnosis and self-medication when it comes to your health. If you want to smoke some herb for fun or to chill out on a weekend or party with friends, that's one thing. If you're playing Mr. Myself, MD, and prescribing black market drugs to treat symptoms rather than causes, then I think it doesn't take a PhD to know that's probably not a quick or easy way to get yourself back to "normal" (whatever that means for you).
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  33. #33
    Weed works for some people and not for others. If you've read my posts in this thread, you'll note that weed resolves sleep problems that I have, but it's important to point out I've been smoking it for over 20 years. Maybe my sleep problems stem from my addiction to weed. It would be naive of me to not consider this.

    If you're struggling with sleep, and you don't usually smoke weed, then I would suggest other ways of trying to combat this problem. The two ideas that spring to mind are exercise and a bath. A jog an hour before bed might make it much easier for you to sleep, or if you're not into that, a relaxing herbal bath. I personally would prefer weed to sleep drugs that I might be prescribed, but that's a personal choice. Talking to your doctor won't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •