Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,256,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

*** Official Politics Shitposting Thread ***

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 676 to 750 of 799
  1. #676
    I'm heading north of the border ASAP, this country is going to shit fast.
  2. #677
    Plus, I am a diehard hockey fan...
  3. #678
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Lemme know if you don't want a safe space.
    We need to coddle our current posters so we can then claim they're coddled and ruining the community a year from now...
    LOL OPERATIONS
  4. #679
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    Shitpost for the day: People want to believe in conspiracies because the thought of a bunch of flawed humans trying their best and not having the answer to every problem is tremendously more terrifying than the thought of an evil organization pulling strings from the shadows. At least someone is in control in the conspiracy theorist's mind.
    LOL OPERATIONS
  5. #680
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    I don't want to believe in conspiracy theories. I just do. Shows what you know about what's going on in our heads.

    I suspect that many people don't give them serious consideration because it's just too scary to go through life thinking that the government is not your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  6. #681
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    Shitpost for the day: People want to believe in conspiracies because the thought of a bunch of flawed humans trying their best and not having the answer to every problem is tremendously more terrifying than the thought of an evil organization pulling strings from the shadows. At least someone is in control in the conspiracy theorist's mind.
    Depends on the conspiracy I suppose, but in general I'd be a lot more afraid of shadowy figures pulling strings than incompetent bumblers.
  7. #682
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    I disagree and I don't need to defend myself because this is the shitposting thread.
    LOL OPERATIONS
  8. #683
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't want to believe in conspiracy theories. I just do. Shows what you know about what's going on in our heads.

    I suspect that many people don't give them serious consideration because it's just too scary to go through life thinking that the government is not your friend.
    I think there's a very large percentage of the population who think exactly that. The government is corrupt and only looking to pad their pockets at the expense of the people.
    LOL OPERATIONS
  9. #684
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  10. #685
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by bigred View Post
    The government is corrupt and only looking to pad their pockets at the expense of the people.
    Well yeah everyone knows this. How many people go about their daily lives thinking the government are faking terrorist attacks in order to maintain a climate of fear? There's different levels of distrust in government. Everyone expects there to be corruption, that isn't what I mean by "not your friend".
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  11. #686
    http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/03/2...ginia-governor

    I wonder if this is a sign of things to come. I really hope so. If more political candidates try and employ Trump's campaign strategy, then 2020 is going to be hi-larious.
  12. #687
    What I find fascinating is that people who have absolutely no understanding of how Trump works or how his base operates all have such big opinions on current events. Their views of the healthcare thing especially showed that echo chamber at fullest power.
  13. #688
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    What I find fascinating is that people who have absolutely no understanding of how Trump works
    No one does wuf, claiming otherwise is being full of shit

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    or how his base operates
    That one is less of a mystery; i.e. it's blatantly obvious how

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    all have such big opinions on current events. Their views of the healthcare thing especially showed that echo chamber at fullest power.
    Opinions are like assholes, everybody got to have one
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  14. #689
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    No one does wuf, claiming otherwise is being full of shit
    Do you think being stuck inside this echo chamber explains why you're wrong?
  15. #690
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Do you think being stuck inside this echo chamber explains why you're wrong?
    Everyone who disagrees with you is inside an echo chamber.

    Do you see how echo-chambery that statement is? My money is on "no"
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  16. #691
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Everyone who disagrees with you is inside an echo chamber.

    Do you see how echo-chambery that statement is? My money is on "no"
    It's a convenient excuse to keep up the cognitive dissonance.

    If you were to step inside Trump circles you would pretty easily see that what the MSM/Dems/leftists are saying about the healthcare event is totally wrong. There's a reason Steve Bannon's own website was saying from the beginning that Ryancare was set up for the purpose of failing. There's a reason why people have pulled direct quotes from Trump's book that explain why this was set up to fail. There's a reason why Rand Paul was handing out Art of the Deal at an HFC meeting after a private meeting with Trump in which Trump is reported to have called the bill a "pile of shit." There's a reason why every one of the small number of prominent public figures who have correctly predicted movement regarding Trump since the beginning were all saying that the bill was set up to fail.

    But if you dive into the echo chamber of the losers who have no fucking clue what they're talking about, nonsense bullshit is the explanation.
  17. #692
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    It's a convenient excuse

    It's not an excuse when it's the truth, as demonstrated here


    v
    v
    v
    v




    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    If you were to step inside Trump circles you would pretty easily see that what the MSM/Dems/leftists are saying about the healthcare event is totally wrong. There's a reason Steve Bannon's own website was saying from the beginning that Ryancare was set up for the purpose of failing. There's a reason why people have pulled direct quotes from Trump's book that explain why this was set up to fail. There's a reason why Rand Paul was handing out Art of the Deal at an HFC meeting after a private meeting with Trump in which Trump is reported to have called the bill a "pile of shit." There's a reason why every one of the small number of prominent public figures who have correctly predicted movement regarding Trump since the beginning were all saying that the bill was set up to fail.


    But if you dive into the echo chamber of the losers who have no fucking clue what they're talking about, nonsense bullshit is the explanation.



    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^


    Yup. 7 years you had been stomping the ground that Obamacare is so bad, it has to be repealed and replaced, and when you step up to bat, you send in Paul Ryan with a bill he couldn't even pass it up for a vote? Fact is, you had your at bat. You whiffed. Sit down. Who gives a shit what bannon, a fucking blogger, says or doesn't say? Please.


    But you can only see the ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE of the move by being inside Trump's circle. To an outsider it appears complete garbage, a waste of taxpayer money and resources on something set up to fail for some reason. A complete charade, which apparently has some deeper, ulterior motive that is so awesome it has to be kept secret until the big reveal which that time will be superautomatically accepted. Or it is only known to the circle-jerk buddies. Yes, that makes sense.


    5-dimensional chess and sheer stupidity/incompetence/lack of empathy seem to be the same thing nowadays.


    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    to keep up the cognitive dissonance.

    'Cognitive dissonance' just got Tomi Lahren fired a few days ago. Seems impossible for her to be "on the right" while simultaneously believing that she can be "pro-choice".


    Sad.
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  18. #693
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    It's a convenient excuse to keep up the cognitive dissonance.

    If you were to step inside Trump circles you would pretty easily see that what the MSM/Dems/leftists are saying about the healthcare event is totally wrong. There's a reason Steve Bannon's own website was saying from the beginning that Ryancare was set up for the purpose of failing. There's a reason why people have pulled direct quotes from Trump's book that explain why this was set up to fail. There's a reason why Rand Paul was handing out Art of the Deal at an HFC meeting after a private meeting with Trump in which Trump is reported to have called the bill a "pile of shit." There's a reason why every one of the small number of prominent public figures who have correctly predicted movement regarding Trump since the beginning were all saying that the bill was set up to fail.

    But if you dive into the echo chamber of the losers who have no fucking clue what they're talking about, nonsense bullshit is the explanation.
    Something something about hallucinations

    If the bill had passed, what a victory for the great negotiator!

    Since the bill failed, it's part of the secret plan and the echo chamber (aka rational thought) doesn't know it yet!

    A+ shitpost on your part though, sir.
    LOL OPERATIONS
  19. #694
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker


    Pause at 2:44
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  20. #695
    So are these really the only two choices?

    It's either:
    Ryancare was set up for the purpose of failing
    or
    you had your at bat. You whiffed. Sit down.
    There's no reasonable medium?
  21. #696
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  22. #697
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    So are these really the only two choices?


    It's either:


    or




    There's no reasonable medium?



    Gotta see if the geniuses at Capitol Hill can come up with a compromise, if they ever find time in between them selling your internet search history and playing 5-dimensional chess
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  23. #698
    a500lbgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28,042
    Location
    himself fucker.
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
  24. #699
    ^^
    lol wtf


    Actually, that's pretty much my reaction to everything Trump-related.
  25. #700
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    ^^
    lol wtf


    Actually, that's pretty much my reaction to everything Japan-related.
    fyp
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  26. #701
    bigred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,462
    Location
    Nest of Douchebags
    I can't remember the source but here's my shitpost of the day from twitter:

    "Fox News did to the older generations what the older generations said video games would do to us."
    LOL OPERATIONS
  27. #702
    "Trump appoints Ivanka to head anti-nepotism task force."

    http://www.cbc.ca/comedy/trump-appoi...orce-1.4042755
  28. #703
    lolo

  29. #704
  30. #705


    come at me bro
    Last edited by boost; 09-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
  31. #706
    hmmm i dont get it
  32. #707
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    hmmm i dont get it
    I think he's saying

    Hitler + Stars & Stripes = Hannity
  33. #708
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    So yet another mass shooting. But it's not a time to talk about gun control yet again. Obviously, there is never a time to talk about gun control

    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  34. #709
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    So yet another mass shooting. But it's not a time to talk about gun control yet again. Obviously, there is never a time to talk about gun control
    Well done for taking the bait Jack.

    Why don't we instead talk about lying authorities?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  35. #710
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Well done for taking the bait Jack.

    Why don't we instead talk about lying authorities?
    If anyone is taking the bait it's you, believing all this tinfoil hat stuff about false flag mass shootings to encourage gun control. You probably think Soros is behind it, and he's quietly been acquiring a monopoly on crossbows for years.

    America's already shown it doesn't matter how many mass killings happen, it's not going to affect gun control laws.

    And if you are going to do a false flag, have your Manchurian Candidate go into a hospital for sick children and kill all the doctors, nurses, kids, janitors, and shoot a few balloons and stuffed animals for good measure. Then send another into a convent to kill nuns. THEN you might get the reaction you're looking for. A few shit kickers at a country music concert get shot up, big deal. Half of them were probably going to shoot each other after the concert anyways.
  36. #711
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Fair enough. Sort of.

    Here's the problem with all this conspiracy crap. I can sit here and say 9/11 is a crock of shit, I can make other similar claims based on whatever evidence I find compelling enough to sway my opinion, but when it comes to the who and why, every armchair conspiracy theorist in the world is absolutely guessing. I have no fucking idea how much of a cunt Soros actually is. I have no idea why they would tell us there's only one shooter when it seems there were more. If I chimed in with my opinion, it would be based on shit.

    However, when it comes to the actual evidence in question, this isn't a matter of opinion. It might well be a matter of understanding, and in the case of the footage I've linked in the other thread (linked below for your convenience) they're telling us that the quieter gunfire is an echo.

    Fine. There's loud gunfire at 0:05, followed by quiet gunfire at 0:06. So that's actual gunfire followed by its echo. I can buy that.

    No more gunfire for 40 seconds. Then there's a quiet burst again. Roughly the same volume as the previous quiet burst. I haven't got a decibel meter out, but I would be inclined to think that an echo that has travelled for 40 seconds would be a shit load quieter than an echo that has travelled for one.

    These points I'm raising are legitimate logical concerns with the official story. The conclusions I inevitably draw due to limited information are based on paranoia. It's important to make that distinction.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR4xnBKGNeY&t=7s
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  37. #712
    Having skepticism about an opinion one comes to through emotion is a virtue.
  38. #713
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Having skepticism about an opinion one comes to through emotion is a virtue.
    The danger is that the illogical conclusions that are drawn distract from the logical concerns that caused the doubt in the first place. This is why it's so easy to mock conspiracy theorists... the conclusions often are batshit and worthy of mockery. But the questions... they remain legit.

    It seems Thomas Wictor and Paul Joseph Watson, two people I follow and at least respect the integrity of, both think that those who say there were two shooters are basically morons. PJW isn't responding to my attempt to engage him (no surprise), while Wictor seems to have fucked off Twitter because he's sick of it all. He might respond to my request for him to debunk this video properly when he returns.

    I'm trying to understand how there can be only one shooter.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  39. #714
    Wictor hasn't fucked off twitter. His on time is different than your hours and it's the same each day.

    Wictor has strong opinions. He uses a mixture of data that nobody else is presenting -- and some of his points based on the data are likely among the most important that can be found today -- and pure speculation.
  40. #715
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Fucked off in the temporary "fuck this shit, going for a beer" sense, rather than "fuck off forever" sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  41. #716
    You might wanna check out Jonathan Langdale at langdaleca. I haven't checked yet but I think he is on the two shooters train. He and Wictor are two of my most interesting reads. Sometimes they agree, sometimes they don't, sometimes they're both probably right, sometimes they're probably not. Among their most strong opinions is Langdale is 100% in belief that the DNC killed Seth Rich and Wictor is 100% in belief they did not.
  42. #717
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    I'm 100% sure the Russians didn't hack shit. I'm pretty sure Seth Rich was the source of the leaks, but as for who had him killed, well the DNC would be the most obvious candidate based on speculation, that's all I can really say.

    Langdale is a locked acc, I've sent a follow request but he only has around 2k so I assume he's rejecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  43. #718
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Langdale is a locked acc, I've sent a follow request but he only has around 2k so I assume he's rejecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by wuf
    Jonathan Langdale at langdaleca
    haha I searched by name, not @langdaleca... I think I know why the guy I've sent a follow request to has his profile locked!
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  44. #719
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I'm 100% sure the Russians didn't hack shit. I'm pretty sure Seth Rich was the source of the leaks, but as for who had him killed, well the DNC would be the most obvious candidate based on speculation, that's all I can really say.

    Langdale is a locked acc, I've sent a follow request but he only has around 2k so I assume he's rejecting.
    We know Russia has a near 0 probability of having done the deed since that narrative began as obfuscation and has never relied on evidence.

    If Seth Rich wasn't assassinated, I would be surprised. It definitely has not been proven sufficiently enough that it could get a guilty verdict in court, but some of the evidence is quite eyebrow raising.
  45. #720
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    haha I searched by name, not @langdaleca... I think I know why the guy I've sent a follow request to has his profile locked!
    His primary account is private (and probably not even his primary anymore) because Twitter has fucked him over multiple times after he said mean things about some favored politicians. You can get all his important stuff from his secondary account (which appears to be probably the primary now).
  46. #721
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    His primary account is private (and probably not even his primary anymore) because Twitter has fucked him over multiple times after he said mean things about some favored politicians. You can get all his important stuff from his secondary account (which appears to be probably the primary now).
    Yeah I figured they were both his accounts shortly after I posted, but couldn't be bothered to delete my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  47. #722
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Hey wuf, it's taken me the best part of ten minutes just to scroll through two days of Wictor's tweets. Admittedly I'm getting distracted and reading some of them, but I can't even remember when he posted the threads I'm looking for. Between a month and two months ago.

    I really can't be fucked to dig that deep.

    Wait... a google search found one of the Poland/Hamas threads. And it turns out I meant Hezbollah. Forgive my ignorance.

    https://twitter.com/thomaswictor/sta...00805904596992

    There was at least one more thread, I'm sure.

    The Japan stuff is more difficult to find. I think that was a passing comment in a thread about advanced munitions being used in the Middle East by the Saudis. I'll let you know if I dig that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  48. #723
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    I think these threads are hard to find because the key words I'm searching for are spread across tweets.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  49. #724
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    So yet another mass shooting. But it's not a time to talk about gun control yet again. Obviously, there is never a time to talk about gun control
    I used to think like this, but I'm actually starting to come around to the other side. It's actually NOT the right time to talk about gun control.

    There was an piece in the WP recently that explained the numbers behind gun deaths and the causes. Mass shootings are tragic, and terrifying, but they make up an incredibly small portion of the gun-related deaths in the US.

    Some 2/3 of gun deaths are suicides. Another fifth or so are single homicides involving young men. Like, a guy shoots his wife's lover, a gang beef, a robbery gone bad. Things like that. The next largest group of similar gun-deaths are female victims of domestic violence. That group is pretty small and it's still far larger than the population of mass shooting victims.

    The point of that piece was that the gun control measures being called for right now, wouldn't really do much to reduce the number of gun deaths in America.

    At first, I thought, "so what". War machines have no place in the civilian theater. No one is really hurt if automatic weapons are banned. Preventing some gun deaths is better than preventing no gun deaths. So just pass the damn gun control measures!!

    But like everything else, it costs money. Once you outlaw the guns, you automatically create a black market for them. Combating that requires more resources and training for law enforcement. It means more prosecutions, more incarcerations. Passing a law is easy, but enforcing a law costs money.

    And anytime a gov't (or anyone really) spends limited resources, there is an opportunity cost. Spending resources to pass and enforce new legislation means that we have less resources to spend on something else.

    So if resources are limited, we have to make choices. We could ban assault weapons, reducing the body counts for mass shootings. Or perhaps instead would could put our resources into outreach and support programs for suicidal adults. Or maybe we could pour more resources into curbing gang violence.

    Is it possible that one of those other expenditures would reduce the overall body count from gun deaths more than an assault weapons ban? It certainly is.

    We have to decide which type of gun deaths we want to spend our resources on. That decision takes cool-headed, clear-minded debate. You can't have that when you are in the midst of an extreme emotional reaction to one particular kind of gun death. So that means that the WORST time to have a debate about gun control is right after a mass shooting.

    That being said, once the mass shooting outrage dies down, no one really seems interested in bringing up the debate at all. The last assault weapons ban went out 13 years ago. There has been plenty of non-emotional time to implement reforms. You can't blame stonewalling republicans, or the gun lobby either. Democrats had a royal flush in '08 and didn't do shit. Which just goes to show you that in the end, no one really has a vested interest in limiting guns in America. It's a concern dwarfed by healthcare, taxes, north korea, terrorism, civil rights, and a whole host of headline-grabbing government scandals.

    If the aftermath of a shooting is the only time people are ever outraged about guns, well then their outrage isn't very sincere. And alot of this "we need gun control now" talk is really just thinly veiled liberal mudslinging with no real intention of bringing about reforms. It's just an opportunistic attack on conservatives
  50. #725
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,004
    Location
    St Louis, MO

    I agree with every point you just made, and I am intrigued by the questions you ask, Mr. Stand.

    WP
  51. #726
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    If the aftermath of a shooting is the only time people are ever outraged about guns, well then their outrage isn't very sincere. And alot of this "we need gun control now" talk is really just thinly veiled liberal mudslinging with no real intention of bringing about reforms. It's just an opportunistic attack on conservatives
    And some of it (from a minority) is a push to do what is required to control the citizenry.

    The 2nd Amendment is possibly one of the most positive developments in modern history.

    The thoughtless case tends to be the case that eradicating oppositional strength to governments means that governments will then behave themselves. With no 2nd, protection of the 1st probably goes by the wayside eventually. With no 1st, the rest of the western world that merely practices almost-freedom-from-infringement probably stops practicing eventually.
  52. #727
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Hey wuf, it's taken me the best part of ten minutes just to scroll through two days of Wictor's tweets. Admittedly I'm getting distracted and reading some of them, but I can't even remember when he posted the threads I'm looking for. Between a month and two months ago.

    I really can't be fucked to dig that deep.

    Wait... a google search found one of the Poland/Hamas threads. And it turns out I meant Hezbollah. Forgive my ignorance.

    https://twitter.com/thomaswictor/sta...00805904596992

    There was at least one more thread, I'm sure.

    The Japan stuff is more difficult to find. I think that was a passing comment in a thread about advanced munitions being used in the Middle East by the Saudis. I'll let you know if I dig that up.
    thx
  53. #728
    Most of the outrage against guns is sincere (at least sincerely emotional). But the culture of outrage over guns possibly emerges from sinister narrative pressure. When a bomb blows up, nobody blames the bomb but instead the bomber. When a car is used to plow over people, the car is not blamed but instead the driver. Why is it different regarding guns? Perhaps because that became the norm, which was perhaps created by state-authoritarian ideologues. Given that state-authority revolutions are by far the most significant revolutions in modern history, it's pretty amazing that we've avoided the worst of it in this time.
  54. #729
  55. #730
    Especially ironic in that the proclaimed current head of the political elite by "gun control" advocates' is their archnemesis: Literal Hitler (Trump).
  56. #731
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post

    A whole lot of overthinking in one quote
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  57. #732
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,363
    Location
    Finding my game
    I'm pretty sure people would call for bomb control if they were sold over-the-counter with no background checks.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

    You wake me up early in the morning to tell me that I'm right? Please wait until I'm wrong.

  58. #733
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Some whatsapp chain message


    Gringo reality
    A customer enters a store in USA ...
    - Please give me an assault rifle with telescopic sight and 4000 ammunition.
    - Ok, anything else, sir?
    - Yes, an envelope of penicillin.
    - Sorry sir, but we can not sell antibiotics without a prescription ...!
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  59. #734
    The narrative that there are not already a bunch of regulations on firearm purchases (like background checks) is wrong.

    Most mass shootings are done by using illegally obtained/manipulated weapons, and a ton of shootings have been quickly thwarted within seconds by concealed carry. Lots of others are thwarted by the threat of concealed carry. There's a reason why schools are common targets and rodeos are not.
  60. #735
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    A whole lot of overthinking in one quote
    I know reason is hard. Especially when it goes against a person's emotions and self-image.
  61. #736
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    The narrative that there are not already a bunch of regulations on firearm purchases (like background checks) is wrong.
    Ok. Probably never heard about the private sale loophole

    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...gun-show-loop/

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Most mass shootings are done by using illegally obtained/manipulated weapons, and a ton of shootings have been quickly thwarted within seconds by concealed carry. Lots of others are thwarted by the threat of concealed carry. There's a reason why schools are common targets and rodeos are not.
    Ok, that's fair. Most.

    But the second part of your narrative fits into the reasoning that you need guns at schools. I've heard that lots before. It's a particularly dumb rhetoric for a myriad of reasons.



    And yes, people have killed en masse before without (automatic) guns. Degree of difficulty for a successful execution goes up quite a bit though
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  62. #737
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I know reason is hard. Especially when it goes against a person's emotions and self-image.
    Yes, and a ton of people think that what they do is reasoning. But it's only partisans in glass houses throwing rocks at the other* side


    * = . whomever dares to think differently than them, even if backed with coherent, logical facts and historical precedence
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  63. #738
    Private sale does not function the way firearm antagonists think.

    Not allowing licensed adults to carry in "gun free zones" invites killers.
  64. #739
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  65. #740
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,841
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Private sale does not function the way firearm antagonists think.
    Of course it doesn't. Nothing ever does, it seems. There is always very important detail(s) that no one sees, in partular the antagonists.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Not allowing licensed adults to carry in "gun free zones" invites killers.
    Sure.

    Now, care to back this up with actual facts? Non-anecdotal? Non-masturbatory pieces where the writers don't have to scramble to justify whatever narrative they have to rep and/or sell? You know, other than "Teddy said it" or "Vinny said it"?
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  66. #741
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    You know, other than "Teddy said it" or "Vinny said it"?
    If Vinny said it, it's probably true.

  67. #742
    Also Wuf, when you keep accusing people who disagree with you of having a problem with their mental processes like cognitive dissonance or this or that bias, you're essentially making an ad hominen argument yourself, which is no argument at all. Just sayin'.
  68. #743
    OngBonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Location
    England
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Also Wuf, when you keep accusing people who disagree with you of having a problem with their mental processes like cognitive dissonance or this or that bias, you're essentially making an ad hominen argument yourself, which is no argument at all. Just sayin'.
    You're only saying this because you're too stupid to understand the subtle point he's making.

    I'm not. And I don't even know what conversation you're referencing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  69. #744
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You're only saying this because you're too stupid to understand the subtle point he's making.

    I'm not. And I don't even know what conversation you're referencing.
    Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this afternoon.

    What is his subtle point?
  70. #745
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Also Wuf, when you keep accusing people who disagree with you of having a problem with their mental processes like cognitive dissonance or this or that bias, you're essentially making an ad hominen argument yourself, which is no argument at all. Just sayin'.
    If you are responding to an argument by not responding to that argument, a possible productive response to your non-response is to point out that it was a non-response. I point out cognitive dissonances because they are non-responses to arguments and I desire to stick to the argument. It's a more illuminating way of implying "you didn't address the point" than saying "you didn't address the point" because it provides some explanation that allows the person to examine how it was that he/she indeed didn't address the point.
  71. #746
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    Now, care to back this up with actual facts? Non-anecdotal? Non-masturbatory pieces where the writers don't have to scramble to justify whatever narrative they have to rep and/or sell? You know, other than "Teddy said it" or "Vinny said it"?

    Implicit from your stance is that when a person has a measure of a motive to slaughter, threatening his ability to slaughter doesn't affect the measure of the motive. I (and most people) do not find that logical or credible. Do you find that logical and credible?
  72. #747
    BTW Mr Doop I appreciate you expressing your concern on the cognitive dissonance thing.
  73. #748
    To specifically address your claim that pointing out cognitive dissonances is ad hominem, I don't think it is. Ad hominem is when essentially you attack the person instead of the argument. When I point out cognitive dissonances, I have no intention of addressing the person making them, but to address the argument. It's like this: if you get straw manned, pointing out that the person erected a straw man is not ad hominem. Pointing out the straw man is useful to understand what is and what isn't addressing the arguments and it can help keep the subsequent arguments relevant to the original arguments.
  74. #749
    The other day I saw a billboard that sparked disagreement in me. I went on about a ten minutes intellectual exercise explaining why the claim of the billboard was wrong, but then I realized my very first response to the claim was cognitive dissonance on my own part. That means that the rest of my argument was basically irrelevant. I was arguing against an illusion.
  75. #750
    How does one go about solving for cognitive dissonance? It can be hard, but it's doable. Take a step back and address the claim head on, like yes or no and why it is or isn't true. Then if you want to make a different argument that carries with it implication that the impact of the previous claim is not that important, that's fine.

    Simply just sidestepping the claim and presenting a new claim masquerading as a response to the original claim is how most arguments seem to go, and it never gets anywhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •