Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,288,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

*** OFFICIAL BREXIT SUNLIT UPLANDS and #MEGA THREAD ***

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,500 of 1834
  1. #1426
    All I know is this issue was raised in the US by Trump and the Rs, and it was there too basically a way to keep non-whites from voting.
    And you lap it up instead of seeing it for the blatant identity politics it is.

    If you can't at least articulate some kind of logic behind the claim that voter ID is racist then you probably shouldn't make the argument in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  2. #1427
    First articulate an argument for why it's needed. If voter fraud isn't a problem, then why do we need voter id?

    Edit: There was a grand total of four (yes, 4) convictions for electoral fraud for all elections taking place in the UK in 2019. Maybe we need DNA profiling and retina scans too.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 08-19-2021 at 07:44 AM.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  3. #1428
    Second, connect the dots. Which party wants voter ID and how would it benefit them?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  4. #1429
    Today on "Boris". It's a great day for Boris as someone is shown to be even more irresponsible and lazy than he is. But oh snap! It's his foreign secretary and Deputy PM, who spent the critical phase of the Afghan crisis refusing to leave his holidays. What will Boris do? Will he sack him? Of course not! It's making him look good by comparison.

    https://twitter.com/WinstonCProject/...01147986583554
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  5. #1430
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    How much did you pay for it? Real Persian rugs are hand-woven, take a long time to make, and are stupid expensive. Doesn't mean it's not a nice rug, but if it wasn't expensive it's prolly not a Persian.
    It's about 2.5' x 6.5' in size and I paid about $100 US for it in Dubai.

    I mean... it's probably from Iran. The laws against deceiving customers in Dubai and other arab cultures are pretty steep.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  6. #1431
    Doesn't really matter if you like the rug and it feels nice on your feets.

    Wouldn't put a lot of faith in consumer protection laws in any country though, if it's just your word against his and all he said was "Iran, Iran." Even if he admitted saying it, it could mean anything. Maybe he meant "I ran over to sell you this." lol
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  7. #1432
    To put this in context, my ex-gf once bought a silk end table cover from Iran that was handwoven, about 2' x 3', and cost £400 (about $500USD I think). That's what I mean by stupid expensive.

    In related news, a guy in a shop in Istanbul was trying to sell me "Persian" rugs that were nice and all, but simply too cheap to be authentic. Didn't matter 'cause I didn't want a rug anyways.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  8. #1433
    Today on "Boris": Ruh roh! I thought it was the pingdemic causing the non-existent food shortages...

    https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-von-der-leyen

    BORIS JOHNSON and his Government have sparked fury over the way they are handling the escalating food shortage crisis sweeping through the UK, with one leading boss raging that Brexit is to blame.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  9. #1434
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Doesn't really matter if you like the rug and it feels nice on your feets.

    Wouldn't put a lot of faith in consumer protection laws in any country though, if it's just your word against his and all he said was "Iran, Iran." Even if he admitted saying it, it could mean anything. Maybe he meant "I ran over to sell you this." lol
    "Pretty much," to the first point. It's nice on the eyes, too.

    IDK. My gut says the rugs were from Iran (pronounced "ee DON," not "I ran"). Whether they were made by hand - I doubt it.
    It's not like I assume there aren't "normal" cheap rugs in the entire nation of Iran.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  10. #1435
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    On the Brexit thing... I feel like no matter what brexit you ended up with, there was going to be a period of adjustment while everything worked itself into a new normal.

    A shortage of fast food restaurants doesn't really seem like a cultural collapse to me.

    British people are people. They'll adjust to the whims of political movements and pull through. Y'all made it through the dark ages, yeah? I mean, I'm not suggesting things are on that path, but only that even if they were, you'd make it through.

    I think the US cares too much about having at least one friend in the international scene to let it get that bad... assuming the US isn't also down the shitter.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  11. #1436
    The problem is the new normal is food shortages, businesses failing, and everyone generally poorer than they were before. Other than that, yeah it's all going to be fine. No-one is going to die of Brexit. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't recognise how self-harming it is and start taking steps to reverse it.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  12. #1437
    The sad thing is this is probably the first three people they talked to.

    Q: Why did you vote for Brexit?


    A1: Goddamn immigrants working for the health services are using up all our health services!

    A2: Hi, my name is Ong. I voted for sovereignty, but can't tell you more than that. What? Naming an EU law I'd be happy to get rid of? Sorry, can't do that 'cause I don't know any EU laws.

    A3: I have no idea, but I hope the country becomes more united now that we're all fucked. #MEGA?


    https://twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/statu...57623977529345
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 08-23-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  13. #1438
    Planning to sell a lot of cricket bats to Australia, apparently.

    https://www.theguardian.com/business...r-to-australia

    Whatever happened to athletes should stay out of politics?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  14. #1439
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  15. #1440
    A2: Hi, my name is Ong. I voted for sovereignty, but can't tell you more than that. What? Naming an EU law I'd be happy to get rid of? Sorry, can't do that 'cause I don't know any EU laws.

    What's really funny is that if anyone voted for sovereignty from the British, which they have done throughout the last century, people like you would be cheerleading them, even if it meant economic hardship for them.

    Of course, you don't see the EU as colonialism. I do, just a modern version of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  16. #1441
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    What's really funny is that if anyone voted for sovereignty from the British, which they have done throughout the last century, people like you would be cheerleading them, even if it meant economic hardship for them.
    Still reading from the Bible of Kipling I see.

    If a country like, say, India, voted to be free from Imperial Rule by a foreign power, regardless of who that was, and the decision was economically neutral or even harmful, I'd be fine with that, yes. If a country like, say, France, voted to leave the EU, which it has a dominant voice in and which it relies on economically to a great extent, I would say that's kinda shortsighted.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Of course, you don't see the EU as colonialism. I do, just a modern version of it.
    lol, if we were a colony of Europe, then NY State is a colony of America. Maybe they should vote to separate from it so they don't have to take orders from unelected officials in D.C.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  17. #1442
    lol, if we were a colony of Europe, then NY State is a colony of America. Maybe they should vote to separate from it so they don't have to take orders from unelected officials in D.C.
    Do you understand the concept of a "nation"? I know you think it's a dirty word because you've been brainwashed into thinking nationalism is evil, but only when it involves your political opponents.

    New York State is not a nation, not by any reasonable definition of the word "nation". Texas could be, that's a much more interesting example. But NY is not. So no, NY can't just vote for independence from USA. If Texas did, we'd probably have a civil war on our hands, but there's very probably legal basis for them to do so, at least as I understand it.

    EU member states are not colonies by any reasonable definition. That's because there was no invasion, and it at least presents itself as a democracy, and ultimately is in the sense you can leave, even if it is a massive pain in the ass to do so. But member states are under the control of the EU in a partially similar way to colonies during empire days. The EU has control over trade and therefore the economy. The have control of large aspects of law. You can argue that's a good thing if you want, some people thought it was a good think that Britain controlled India. That's the company you're keeping. You just don't see it that way because you see empire as bad but EU as good. I think there's a contradiction in that viewpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  18. #1443
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post

    EU member states are not colonies by any reasonable definition.
    So basically your original analogy was flawed. Guess we're done here then.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post

    The EU has control over trade and therefore the economy.
    They still have a large influence over our trade and therefore economy. Just look at what's happening now. The difference is Brexiters think they won back that influence by voting to leave the EU. That's why they're all excited about trade deals with small markets halfway around the world like AUS and NZ. Those trade deals represent a drop in the bucket compared to the trade we do with the EU.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The have control of large aspects of law.
    Such as...?

    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You can argue that's a good thing if you want,
    I don't argue that, I argue the premise is unproven. They don't control large aspects of the law outside of trade. That's Brexiter propaganda. The proof of that is neither you nor anyone else can name any of these laws lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    some people thought it was a good think that Britain controlled India. That's the company you're keeping. You just don't see it that way because you see empire as bad but EU as good. I think there's a contradiction in that viewpoint.
    Oh wait... ok.

    The contradiction is you saying we're a colony of the EU, then accepting that's as retarded as NY being a colony of the US, then saying by supporting membership in the EU I'm somehow supporting colonialism in India. You're just going in circles here lol.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  19. #1444
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Texas is a state like any other in terms of presence in the USA and consequences of attempting to secede.

    There is a popular cultural myth that runs around, especially in Texas, that the Texas state constitution has some clause about being able to secede from the USA. However, not only is that not true, it wouldn't matter if it was true. The US Civil War cemented firm precedent that secession from the USA is against the constitution.

    What Texas has in its constitution is a framework to divide itself into 4 additional states, making 5 states where there was 1. While it's not clearly stated in Texas law that these new states must be members of the USA, the federal interpretation is very clear that those new states would definitely be US states.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  20. #1445
    Let's say, theoretically, that Texas could leave the US. Part of being out of it is they would have to either arrange a customs union, or put up customs borders on trade with the rest of what's left of the US.

    The Texas Congress announces a referendum on the issue, even though it's far too complex for the average citizen to get their head around. The people who support Texit are anti-Yankee and anti-Southerner and anti-Midwesterner and basically anti- the rest of the US. They complain that people are coming in from other states and stealing their jobs. They also claim something about fish. Then one Texas idiot who never combs his hair drives around in a bus that says because the people in Texas pay federal tax, when they secede they'll be able to use that money to support public health services in Texas.

    Texas votes to leave and none of the above happens. Sure, there were people coming in and working there, but now there's a labour shortage because they told those people they're not welcome and made it difficult for them to come there. Supermarket shelves start to empty, bit by bit as the supply chain chokes. Businesses close. The Texas fish industry gets worse, not better. There's no mention of the money that was supposed to go to public health. Instead, money is just draining out of the economy,.

    But rather than say "Doh! That was a really bad idea" the people who supported Texit say things like "it's covid,", "it's just teething problems," "wait fifty years, things will get better" and so on, and talk about sovereignty and how there's now all these federal laws they no longer have to follow. Which is basically the only upside they have left to the whole thing, even though they can't actually name a single federal law they opposed having to live by.

    Now let's say you voted for Texmain. Are you gonna say "hey it's ok we'll get by," or will you do everything you can to reverse what is obviously a retarded decision? I mean it's a rhetorical question, so don't bother giving an answer.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  21. #1446
    I don't know about the stuff about the Texas constitution, I'm speaking more about whether it has reasonable basis to call itself a nation. There is no official international agreement that defines "nation", while the right to self determination is also highly contentious in cases where the breakaway people are generally accepted to be a nation (for example, Catalonia). Ultimately, recognition from sovereign states is what matters most, and that's a geopolitical matter.

    Texas might be a nation. Catalonia is, without doubt, just like Scotland, but Texas, idk. If they tried to secede, whether it can be called a nation would probably form a significant part of the public debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  22. #1447
    Such as...?
    Human rights. The shape of bananas. The colour of passports. How many fish we can take from our own waters. All the other stuff that I can't be arsed to trawl through. I'm not here to prove anything to you. You wanna talk about why I voted to leave, then we can talk about that. You want to know what laws we were obliged to follow? You do the googling.

    What I really think you want to do is to continue to moan about Brexit and belittle those who voted for it. Well, you're free to do that all you like. I hope you get some kind of enjoyment out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  23. #1448
    As long as you keep sticking up for the idea, I'll keep pointing out how bad it is.

    Why should I google anything? I'm not trying to make your argument for you. You claim you voted leave because of "sovereignty" but you have only the vaguest ideas how the EU impacted our sovereignty. Something something, human rights, something something, bananas, passports, lolzidon'tcare. Like I say, you can't name one specific EU law that you're convinced we're better off without. Like what, you don't want human rights to exist in the UK? You prefer fewer human rights? I guess we're free to go down that road now...

    You've also heard that fishing has gone downhill in a big way since Brexit happened right? So if that was one of your reasons, it wasn't a very good one as it turned out.

    I'd say you're the living proof that important decisions shouldn't be left to an uninformed citizenry.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  24. #1449
    Like I say, you can't name one specific EU law that you're convinced we're better off without.
    This really does demonstrate how little you understand the motivation of Brexit voters.

    Their laws, and they are numerous, mostly relating to trade, feel free to do some research, their laws are not subject to the democratic will of the people. We can't vote out the EU in a regular election. We can change our representatives, but we all know that's just shuffling the cards to play the same game again. Policy doesn't change at the ballot.

    We're always better off with democratic control. Always. That's why I voted to leave. Your idea of better off differs to mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  25. #1450
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    IDK. You elect politicians to negotiate trade deals for you, right? You don't have popular votes for trade agreements, right?

    It's not like Brexit has increased ong's ability to negotiate fair trade deals with other nations.

    And like... you follow national laws and local laws, right? So why isn't the lack of sovereignty of your local gov't more important? Surely they have to follow national laws and trade restrictions, too.

    Like... what is it about the line you draw around "nation" that matters so much. Why is that level of governance the one that takes primacy in your arguments?
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  26. #1451
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    This really does demonstrate how little you understand the motivation of Brexit voters.

    Their laws, and they are numerous, mostly relating to trade, feel free to do some research, their laws are not subject to the democratic will of the people. We can't vote out the EU in a regular election. We can change our representatives, but we all know that's just shuffling the cards to play the same game again. Policy doesn't change at the ballot.

    We're always better off with democratic control. Always. That's why I voted to leave. Your idea of better off differs to mine.

    How can I understand it if you can't even articulate it? I ask you to name one law that the EU imposes on us, outside of mutually-beneficial trade arrangements with other countries, that you are against. Just one. And you can't even do that.

    Instead, you tell me to do research to try to form an argument that makes sense on your behalf. Wat? How is that supposed to convince me you know anything?

    You mention democractic control. As I've said before, this is very flimsy. The MEPs we sent to the EU were all elected, just the same as the MPs we send to London. We were one of the Big Three in the EU, and had a huge amount of influence on its policies. Now we're just another country outside of it. Now we have no say in what Europe does.

    And any of the 60% of voters here who didn't vote for the current gov't are basically powerless. So we have a government in power that the majority of the people actively voted against being in power. How democratic is that?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  27. #1452
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    IDK. You elect politicians to negotiate trade deals for you, right? You don't have popular votes for trade agreements, right?
    It's worse than that. Our chief negotiator with the EU over Brexit is an unelected member of the House of Lords (like the senate in the US, except they're appointed by the gov't, not voted for by the people).
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  28. #1453
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    So.. you're ... like ... half commie?
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  29. #1454
    It's a carryover from the days when power was invested in the landowners. Pretty medieval.

    Though to be fair they don't usually exercise their power unless they're trying to stop the gov't doing something pretty dodgy. Otherwise they mostly function as a giant, expensive rubber stamp.

    Still, getting appointed is basically corruption incarnate. The last guy I heard of was appointed, then soon after donated a cool half mill to the Tory party. #MEGA
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  30. #1455
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I'm joking. We have appointed positions in the US gov't, too. SCOTUS, for example.

    In an interesting serendipity, I watched a biographic about King John after posting that, and it went into detail about how he was a total jerk face to the nobles, who eventually forced him to sign the Magna Carta, which kinda started the whole constitutional democracy thing that's swept world governance.

    So I'm not too surprised to hear that certain landowners (previously known as nobles) still have a political foothold.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  31. #1456
    New Statesman now in on the Project Fear Conspiracy, along with Road Haulage Ass'n, Poultry Council, Farmer's Association, and whoever else I can't think of. This is going deep. #MEGA

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  32. #1457
    Big supermarket chain now in on the conspiracy of lies. Don't believe it, everything's fine. #MEGA

    https://www.cityam.com/brexit-disrup...-at-christmas/
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  33. #1458
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Ermagherd!!! It's a war on Christmas!!!
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  34. #1459
    Amazon paying £1000 joining fee for new warehouse workers. That's a lot of spliffs.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58353735
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  35. #1460
    £1000 would get me 5 ounces. 28 grams an ounce, probably five spliffs a gram, so 28*5*5... at least 700 spliffs,

    idk where the nearest Amazon warehouse is to me but I'm guessing it's an hour walk into town and then at least half an hour on the train. If there's one in Ashford Bowdler then I'll apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  36. #1461
    You live an hour away from the nearest train station? Does this happen a lot where you live?

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  37. #1462
    I don't drive, so yeah I'm an hour away from the train station. The track literally goes past the back of the house, so that's a really fucking annoying walk. I often try to imagine ways to make the train stop, safely of course, on the track outside, so I can sneak on board, but I'm yet to think of a viable plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  38. #1463
    Not to worry. I'm sure the Tories will level up your area real soon.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  39. #1464
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Why don't you have a bicycle, ong? Seems like an hour on foot would be dramatically easier if you were on a bike. Faster, too.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  40. #1465
    I'd rather walk the road I live on that cycle it. It's a main A-road, 50mph limit outside the house and 60 once over the bridge. No footpath, but there is a verge you can get onto to keep out of the way of the cars lorries and tractors.

    What I could do with is a moped that can do 50, at least at that speed I'm not a nuisance to other drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  41. #1466
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#4.98/....36454/hot/all
    Check your area on this. It shows you the paths people actually cycle on.

    http://strava.github.io/iD/#backgrou...0.6277/52.7202
    This lets you overlay Strava heat map on OpenStreetMap. It's slow to update.

    Scooters are awesome. I got a 125cc that has 35,000km on it and it's still going... well, full disclosure, I got the starter clutch in a zip bag in the kitchen waiting to be cleaned, but once it's back in, it'll be as good as new!
    Last edited by oskar; 08-30-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  42. #1467
    That's actually pretty impressive, it's really accurate for my locality at least. It even shows the forest trails. It's funny though, I couldn't be more awkwardly placed for finding a safe cycling route into town, and this map shows it.

    A 125cc scooter would be sufficient. I wouldn't want anything faster or slower.
    Last edited by OngBonga; 08-30-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  43. #1468
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Just be sure the 125 cc can handle the hills you need it to, I guess.
    Not that I really expect to hear you tell us you have a scooter, but what do I know?

    It's just... I know it's different, but when I got a motorcycle, the advice was to not go below about 650 cc if I intended to ride on highways in Missouri. Some of the steeper hills need the extra power to maintain speed going up.

    So I got a 650 cc, and it's been great.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  44. #1469
    British senior MP was photo'd in a nightclub at 2 am. Rumour has it he was as high as a kite. Kind of hard to argue with that given how happy he looks. Or, maybe he's just high on #MEGA

    https://twitter.com/RaveCozensHardy/...20865910919172
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  45. #1470
    I mean, c'mon. Wtf.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  46. #1471
    I'm the opposite of outraged. Now legalise weed you bog eyed Tory cunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  47. #1472
    Can't see him taking E. I'm betting he's on an 8 ball of coke. Not outrageous so much as pathetic - imagine being related to that guy.

    Yeah, not legalising weed is pretty lame too.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  48. #1473
    Pub chain owner who campaigned for Brexit now adding shortages of beer at his pubs to the shortages of workers. #MEGA

    https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/31/beer-...re.top.twitter
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  49. #1474
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I mean... it's not really hard to make beer. Plenty of non-college-educated people do it.
    I'm sure the pub owner will think of something.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  50. #1475
    That's the MEGA spirit!
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  51. #1476
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Can't see him taking E. I'm betting he's on an 8 ball of coke. Not outrageous so much as pathetic - imagine being related to that guy.

    Yeah, not legalising weed is pretty lame too.
    I reckon that's ecstasy, he appears euphoric, and that's something I associate with MDMA rather than cocaine.

    I don't think it's pathetic. Taking drugs and dancing to music is awesome. I appreciate that when you're gurning you look like a total freak, especially if you're an old guy in a suit, but I kinda respect people who give zero fucks about how they appear and are simply enjoying themselves. Nothing wrong with what he's doing imo.

    Of course, the company he's keeping, that might be of interest to his wife, and the husband of the woman he's out with. Did you get the PM I sent you a week or so back?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  52. #1477
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I mean... it's not really hard to make beer. Plenty of non-college-educated people do it.
    I'm sure the pub owner will think of something.
    Well you can't just make beer and sell it in the UK, that would be illegal. You can make beer and drink it, perhaps even give it away, but definitely not sell it. Of course, Mr Weatherspoon has a licence, so he can sell alcohol in his licenced premises, but not unregulated homebrew.

    One solution might be for him to hire his own lorry drivers, instead of outsourcing to a logistics company.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  53. #1478
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I reckon that's ecstasy, he appears euphoric, and that's something I associate with MDMA rather than cocaine.
    ya, dunno. I don't have much experience around people taking E, so I defer to the experts on that one.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't think it's pathetic. Taking drugs and dancing to music is awesome. I appreciate that when you're gurning you look like a total freak, especially if you're an old guy in a suit, but I kinda respect people who give zero fucks about how they appear and are simply enjoying themselves. Nothing wrong with what he's doing imo.
    Pathetic might not be the best word for it. Undignified fits better. He's in his 50s partying with people in their 20s. Just looks like he has no friends really. It's not "wrong", but it is a bit sad.

    Of course, if he's getting cranked up on a regular basis and it affects his job, maybe he should consider another line of work. Or not I guess, because the PM has such high tolerance for shit performance from his MPs.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Of course, the company he's keeping, that might be of interest to his wife, and the husband of the woman he's out with. Did you get the PM I sent you a week or so back?
    He's in the middle of a divorce, so I doubt his future ex-wife is too bothered. And yes, I'm still trying to bleach that image out of my brain.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  54. #1479
    Undignified
    Can't argue with this word.

    He's in his 50s partying with people in their 20s. Just looks like he has no friends really. It's not "wrong", but it is a bit sad.
    Sad to you, but I'm sure he's quite happy. I'm 42, I haven't taken drugs at a nightclub for quite some time now, but if I did I'd choose a club which is likely to be filled with people of similar age. I don't really want to hang out with 20-y/o kids. So you're kinda right on this, but again, if he's enjoying himself, which it seems like he is, I don't think that's sad.

    Of course, if he's getting cranked up on a regular basis and it affects his job, maybe he should consider another line of work.
    For sure. I've got no problem with people taking drugs, but if it's affecting their ability to function on a day-to-day basis, well that's certainly a problem for the employer, which in this case is the British State. So yeah this is fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  55. #1480
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Sad to you, but I'm sure he's quite happy. I'm 42, I haven't taken drugs at a nightclub for quite some time now, but if I did I'd choose a club which is likely to be filled with people of similar age.
    I think that's the difference and why you getting hepped up in a club is different than him. You're not trying to rediscover some lost youth and be one of the cool kids, he is (or at least that's how it looks to me).
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  56. #1481
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,628
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    It just seems off to me that someone whose job is based on their public perception would risk the publicity from appearing to be in a drugged state, but if there's no proof he was intoxicated on anything but alcohol, then I guess that's WP on his part.

    It's not like competence is a job requirement for politicians.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  57. #1482
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    I think that's the difference and why you getting hepped up in a club is different than him. You're not trying to rediscover some lost youth and be one of the cool kids, he is (or at least that's how it looks to me).
    I wouldn't feel very comfortable in a club surrounded by people much younger than me. I'd be conscious of the fact I'm the old guy, I'd probably hate the music, I'd be worried that every lovely looking lady I see is old enough to perv over, and I'd be very much aware that I have zero chance of nailing any of them anyway. I'd just feel somewhat out of place.

    Last time I went clubbing was a few years ago, a techno night in Birmingham. It's the same techno night I used to go to in the late 90s and early 00s, and the same people pretty much. A few youngsters, but mostly middle aged people reliving the glory days of their youth. In that kind of company, I'm comfortable and confident. I used to do these nights once or twice a month, but now they only get together for a yearly one-off. Problem is, most of their customers can't dance until 6am like we used to.

    This is the earliest footage I could find on youtube, still well after my days but it's exactly how I remember. Proper techno.

    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  58. #1483
    Financial Times, supposedly apolitical newspaper, joining in the Remoaner conspiracy now?

    https://www.ft.com/content/fb6285a4-...reType=nongift
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  59. #1484
    Ruh Roh! Someone seems to have some Bregrets.

    https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/st...68368759574533
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  60. #1485
    #MEGA by dumping raw sewage into the rivers, lakes, seas.

    https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...rexit-red-tape
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  61. #1486
    I'm confused, is the Queen a Marxist now or is BLM a bunch of monarchists?

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...representative
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  62. #1487
    Finally, some good news.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  63. #1488
    Now even some Tory MPs are getting in on the Project Fear Conspiracy!

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1920604.html
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  64. #1489
    #MEGA plan, stage 2. We're going back to an outdated system of weights and measures. Take that, Eurolibtards and you're stupid metric decimal system!

    https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1438548409636556800
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  65. #1490
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  66. #1491
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    #MEGA plan, stage 2. We're going back to an outdated system of weights and measures. Take that, Eurolibtards and you're stupid metric decimal system!

    https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1438548409636556800
    A few quick questions...

    How tall are you?
    How heavy are you?
    How far away from London do you live?

    Me, I'm 6 foot, around ten stone, and live around 150 miles away from London. You understand these numbers, right? I should hope so, seeing as we've been using these measurements for as long as I've been alive.

    I think I'm about 180 cm, fuck know how many kilos, and it's probably like 220 km to London, but those are all estimates.

    Oh, the house I live in has about 1/3 of an acre of land. Fuck knows what that is in hectares.

    I honestly don't know what the fuss is with this. I don't care if I buy my bananas in kilos or pounds. I'm still buying one bunch of bananas, and still pay the same. And the return of imperial weights isn't replacing the metric system, so you can quite literally use whichever you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  67. #1492
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    A few quick questions...

    How tall are you?
    How heavy are you?
    How far away from London do you live?

    Never heard of "stone" as a unit of meaurement until I moved to the UK. I'm 80 kg. I thought it was some measurement they used 500 years ago and the person who was using it was trying to be funny.

    Yeah I'm 6 feet and whatever miles from London.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I think I'm about 180 cm, fuck know how many kilos, and it's probably like 220 km to London, but those are all estimates.
    Height in cm is stupid I agree with that. But, I'm never asked for it so I don't see why you're worried about it.

    1km =1.61 miles. Unless you're building a road somewhere you can round it to 1.6. Not a hard one.

    1 kg = ~2.2 lbs. Also easy.




    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Oh, the house I live in has about 1/3 of an acre of land. Fuck knows what that is in hectares.
    Again, how often does this come up?



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I honestly don't know what the fuss is with this.
    You know why they're doing it. It's clearly a #MEGA tactic to make old people feel like they're living in the good old days when their knees still worked and they could get it up. Oh, and to show we're free from the "tyranny" of the EU.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't care if I buy my bananas in kilos or pounds. I'm still buying one bunch of bananas, and still pay the same. And the return of imperial weights isn't replacing the metric system, so you can quite literally use whichever you prefer.
    Not if you want to trade with any other country in the world besides the US and Bangladesh.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  68. #1493
    Businesses were obviously trying to screw us again by making it easier to do business by going metric.

    https://twitter.com/Otto_English/sta...05204678365186
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  69. #1494
    Never heard of "stone" as a unit of meaurement until I moved to the UK. I'm 80 kg. I thought it was some measurement they used 500 years ago and the person who was using it was trying to be funny.
    Ok, fair enough. But you at least understand that we were using stones as a measurement of weight (at least when it comes to people) while we were in the EU, and even before. And I assume, since you live in the UK, that you're familiar with stones and they don't confuse you.

    Yeah I'm 6 feet and whatever miles from London.
    IMPERIAL!!! You might as well just hand a picture of the Queen on your wall.

    Height in cm is stupid I agree with that. But, I'm never asked for it so I don't see why you're worried about it.
    I'm not worried about it. I simply don't understand why people are fussed about imperial measurements, at least when they are side-by-side to the metric system. I would have a problem with the imperial system replacing the metric system, that would be dumb.

    1km =1.61 miles. Unless you're building a road somewhere you can round it to 1.6. Not a hard one.
    Note to self - memorise the 1.6 times table.

    Again, how often does this come up?
    Surprisingly a lot, when we're talking about large land area. Or there's the standard dumb media measurement of "x football pitches". Most people have some vague idea how big an acre is, but I haven't a clue with hectares. It's metric so I'd guess 100m^2, but it's not a unit I see used often. Acre is definitely dominant here in the UK.

    You know why they're doing it. It's clearly a #MEGA tactic to make old people feel like they're living in the good old days...
    Actually no. I remember when it we ditched pounds, and old people were complaining about it because they were so used to the old system, and they're old, which means their brains are deteriorating. I can do basic maths pretty easily, but perhaps I won't be able to when I'm collecting my pension.

    I don't see what the fuss is because we're using both metric and imperial, which has been the case for a very long time. It only became a problem when we abandoned imperial for weighing fruit and veg, but not for milk, beer, distance, weighing people, height, land area, etc. I dunno why we made the change in the first place. Just use both.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  70. #1495
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Ok, fair enough. But you at least understand that we were using stones as a measurement of weight (at least when it comes to people) while we were in the EU, and even before. And I assume, since you live in the UK, that you're familiar with stones and they don't confuse you.
    How many stones in a pound?

    How many yards in a mile?

    How many pints in a gallon?

    Yeah, not confusing at all....

    Now how about

    How many metres in a kilometer?

    How many grams in a kg?

    Yeah, that's way too complicated. Fuck me, let's go back.





    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    IMPERIAL!!! You might as well just hand a picture of the Queen on your wall.
    I'll bet you a hundred shillings there's a direct correlation between the people who favour the Imperial system, and those who have the Queen on the wall.




    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I dunno why we made the change in the first place. Just use both.
    It's simple - metric is a lot easier to work with.

    The question is why make it a choice? So businesses can pay money to change from an easier system to a harder one if they want?

    It's ridiculous, as I said. The only reason at all to put the idea forward is to give Brexiters a hard on. It's not to help business.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  71. #1496
    In Canada in the 1970s they introduced metric measures. For a couple of years road signs had both miles and km on them. Weather reports had F and C. Now they're all in metric. No-one died. There's a couple of anachronisms like height usually being expressed in feet still, but other than that it was a fairly easy transition to a better system. Don't see why people here are so reactionary.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  72. #1497
    How many stones in a pound?
    16 I think. Maybe 14.

    Well, 1/14 or 1/16 since you said stones in a pound, rather than pounds in a stone.

    How many yards in a mile?
    Fuck loads. Never once in my life ever had to do this conversion. I've never seen a distance measure in x miles y yards.

    How many pints in a gallon?
    I ashamed to say I can't remember. I used to work in a pub so I should know this immediately, I used to know it. 12 maybe? Fuck, it's 8. Shameful.

    How many metres in a kilometer?
    If your point is that metric is easier to convert, then obviously I agree. But that doesn't make imperial confusing. If you regularly use imperial, then the conversion comes pretty easily.

    I'll bet you a hundred shillings there's a direct correlation between the people who favour the Imperial system, and those who have the Queen on the wall.
    Perhaps. I'd say there's a direct correlation between people who don't give a fuck, and people who smoke weed.

    It's simple - metric is a lot easier to work with.
    It's much easier to convert one metric unit into another. It's not easy to convert imperial into metric, or vice versa. That's why it helps the old folk to have both.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  73. #1498
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    That's why it helps the old folk to have both.
    So businesses should measure everything, convert it into the other system, and display both to sell products. Or, old people can just learn the new way, the way old people in Canada did. Times change, people have to as well.

    And, don't mistake my ridicule for outrage or anything like that. I don't care what some shopkeeper in #MEGA country does with his vegetable stand. I just find it an obvious dogwhistle for the #MEGA fans, and wish the gov't could find better things to do with their time than come up with these ideas, like I dunno, figure out a way to solve the shortage of truck drivers.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  74. #1499
    Face it, this is no different from putting the crown back on pint glasses, or having blue passports. It's not going to make life any better, it's just another gesture being used to sell tickets for a ride on the Brexit Bus to the Sunlit Uplands.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  75. #1500
    The difference between the crown on the pint glass, blue passports, and imperial units is that imperial units were an issue long before Brexit was a word. I do understand why old folk have a problem with it, because they're going senile. Appreciated, Canada basically said "fuck you, deal with it" and it worked out just fine, just like it would work out fine here. But I don't see why it needs to be political.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •