Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,288,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

*** OFFICIAL BREXIT SUNLIT UPLANDS and #MEGA THREAD ***

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,425 of 1846
  1. #1351
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I never said it doesn't exist, I said it's not widespread.
    Guess they forgot to tell the Army that.

    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/158082...ker-shortages/

    You know Brexit is going well when they have to draft in lorry drivers from the armed forces to get food to the plebs. Now who's going to deliver shit for the Army? The coast guard? #MEGA
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  2. #1352
    Fuck me are you that desperate to find anti-Brexit news that you'll resort to reading the Sun?

    What's do the stars say for Aquarius? Is it still Mystic Meg?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  3. #1353
    You think the Sun is making up anti-Brexit news to please its following of left-wing intellectuals?

    Daily Mail ran the same story btw. And we all know how much they're against Brexit.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ics-Corps.html

    Guess we'll find out soon enough if it's true or just subtle remainer propaganda sneakily published in a far-right tabloid.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  4. #1354
    Big sale on sovereignty vegetables at ASDA in Cardiff. #MEGA

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  5. #1355
    There's a decent chance the lorry driver simply pulled a sickie because he didn't want to drive to Cardiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  6. #1356
    Today on "Boris": It's another hilarious encounter with the plebs as everyone's favourite muppet talks about selling more British alcohol to India. What he doesn't seem to realise is that thing he's got wrapped around his head is a Sikh turban, he's in a Sikh temple, and that Sikhism forbids alcohol. Watch as this Indilibtard goes full gurkha on Boris just for insulting her religion. At least he didn't mention the "white man's burden!"

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...in-sikh-temple
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  7. #1357
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Oof
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  8. #1358
    Goddamn EU, treating us like we're not in the EU anymore, just because...you know the rest. Arrrghgghggh!

    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...russels-latest

    It's incredible how badly the right-wing press here wants to blame all the problems caused by Brexit on the EU being vindictive or whatever because we're now treated like any other non-EU country.

    If it keeps going this way, one day we're going to leave NATO. Then the headlines will be "Goddamn NATO not letting us use their bases anymore just because we left the alliance!"
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  9. #1359
    I hope we do leave NATO.

    I'm not complaining that the EU treat us like a non-EU country. It would've been nice if we had some mutual arrangement that allowed a special relationship, without being a member state of a superstate, but that wasn't possible.

    The Express are selling outrage to stupid people. Nobody gives a fuck what they have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  10. #1360
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I hope we do leave NATO.
    You'll regret saying that when we get invaded by the EU Imperial Army and can't defend ourselves because our Army is busy delivering food to Tescos and KFC.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I'm not complaining that the EU treat us like a non-EU country. It would've been nice if we had some mutual arrangement that allowed a special relationship, without being a member state of a superstate, but that wasn't possible.
    I think they would have let us stay in the single market, which would have avoided 99% of the problems we've been having.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    The Express are selling outrage to stupid people.
    As are the Mail, and the Sun, and the Telegraph. Funny how all the stupid people seem to end up in one political demographic.


    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Nobody gives a fuck what they have to say.
    I imagine their readers do, and they get to vote like everyone else. The biggest problem identified by Tory voters in the latest poll was immigration. Not the economy, not health, but immigration. During a pandemic.

    Brainwashing is a powerful tool. Just ask Goebbels.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  11. #1361
    You'll regret saying that when we get invaded by the EU Imperial Army and can't defend ourselves because our Army is busy delivering food to Tescos and KFC.
    haha

    Seriously though, NATO creates more problems than it solves. It's a relic from the Cold War and does nothing to solve current geopolitical tensions. It doesn't even stop Russia from being aggressive, nor does it stop the West from being aggressive.

    I think they would have let us stay in the single market, which would have avoided 99% of the problems we've been having.
    I was always in favour of a purely economic relationship, but the EU is not just an economic union. Staying in the single market while leaving the union would have been perfect, but it seems it was naive to think this was ever going to happen.

    As are the Mail, and the Sun, and the Telegraph. Funny how all the stupid people seem to end up in one political demographic.
    And the Guardian, and all the other left wing rags. This isn't exclusive to right wing media. There's stupid people on all sides of the political divide, and these media all seek to exploit these people. Both the left and right pretend to have moral high ground over the other side, both the left and right think the other side is more stupid than they are. The left think the right are racist antivaxxers and the right think the left are woke idiots. This is the world we live in... identity politics dividing the people into two opposing sides.

    I had a friend on facebook who couldn't believe I would vote Brexit but at the same time demonstrate anti-Tory views. His exact words were "does not compute". An excellent example of how things like Brexit, covid, climate change, fucking everything is turned into a right vs left shitshow. And the masses lap it up. It's like we're being told what to think about politics and economics based on what papers you read.

    Like I say, there's stupid people on all sides. We're sheep.

    The biggest problem identified by Tory voters in the latest poll was immigration.
    Well they're asking stupid people. How big is the sample size of this poll, and who was asked? Immigration is a problem, but it's not the biggest problem we currently face. I kinda wish it was, because that would imply the country is in fine shape. The biggest problem we have, in my opinion, is the massive divide between left and right wing people. It's got to the point of hatred for the other side. That is really unhealthy for society. It's no accident either. This is what the political class want. Divided people are easier to control.

    Brainwashing is a powerful tool.
    Yup, and neither you nor I are immune. Don't be so naive to think you're not brainwashed either. We all are to a degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  12. #1362
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    NATO does nothing to solve current geopolitical tensions. It doesn't even stop Russia from being aggressive,
    Maybe. Or maybe it's the only reason Putin hasn't already ridden into Kiev dancing on a tank. Have you thought of that?



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    nor does it stop the West from being aggressive.
    It's a defensive pact. So if one member gets attacked, the rest go to it's aid. If one member wants to invade a non-NATO country, that's not its business. That's what the UN is supposed to be for. Not saying the UN is any good at that, but if the UN can't stop wars when that's its purpose, how do you expect NATO to when that's not its purpose?




    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I was always in favour of a purely economic relationship, but the EU is not just an economic union. Staying in the single market while leaving the union would have been perfect, but it seems it was naive to think this was ever going to happen.
    Switzerland managed to do it, don't see why we couldn't. Unless it's something to do with years of anti-EU propaganda feeding paranoia and leading people to elect nationalistic MPs (cough) ERG (cough).



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    And the Guardian, and all the other left wing rags. This isn't exclusive to right wing media. There's stupid people on all sides of the political divide, and these media all seek to exploit these people.
    The tone in the Guardian is completely different than the tone in the Mail. There's no hysteria in the former. Sure, they have a leftward bias, but they're not just making shit up. The Guardian is more like the Times in that respect. I don't know of any lefty papers that go off the deep end the way the far-right media does.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    the right think the left are woke idiots.
    Being aware of the issues that affect people outside of oneself is pretty much the opposite of being an idiot. That's like saying you're woke about physics.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I had a friend on facebook who couldn't believe I would vote Brexit but at the same time demonstrate anti-Tory views.
    But you're anti-authority in general, so any gov't is bad to you. I don't see an inconsistency there.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Like I say, there's stupid people on all sides. We're sheep.
    Some of us are a bit better at critical thinking than others though.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Don't be so naive to think you're not brainwashed either. We all are to a degree.
    It's the bolded that separates the smart ones from the dumb ones though.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  13. #1363
    Maybe. Or maybe it's the only reason Putin hasn't already ridden into Kiev dancing on a tank. Have you thought of that?
    I would suggest this is that brainwashing that you're potentially subject to. I mean, I don't know what goes on in Putin's head. I don't know if he wants to invade the world. But I very much doubt it. They don't speak Russian in Kiev. It's not Crimea, it's not Donetsk. Very, very different. The people of Kiev don't want to be Russian.

    It's a defensive pact.
    It's an anti-Russian pact.

    Switzerland managed to do it, don't see why we couldn't.
    The Nordic nations do it too. But they were never members in the first place. It's like staying friends with your ex wife. Sure, anti-EU rhetoric doesn't help. Neither does their anti-UK rhetoric. But we should both be mature enough to basically ignore that. Neither of us are.

    The tone in the Guardian is completely different than the tone in the Mail.
    Yes it is. That doesn't mean they're not feeding stupid people. It means they're better at pretending they're not feeding stupid people.

    ...but they're not just making shit up.
    Sure they are, they're media.

    Being aware of the issues that affect people outside of oneself is pretty much the opposite of being an idiot.
    lol what a woke thing to say. It's that air of moral superiority that nails it.

    It's not just about being "aware", it's also about harshly judging other people for not thinking along the same lines.

    But you're anti-authority in general, so any gov't is bad to you. I don't see an inconsistency there.
    True, but I also understand authority is necessary for a stable society. It's not like I want anarchy, though the reason for that is because I don't trust other people, rather than a ideological problem with anarchy.

    I'm anti-Tory and anti-Labour. I tend to lean Tory purely because of economics. But they're both fucking awful political parties.

    Some of us are a bit better at critical thinking than others though.
    Yeah but you're a bit ore selective about how you apply your critical thinking. I'm perhaps too paranoid.

    I mean, you're telling me the Guardian don't make shit up. You're not applying critical thinking when it comes to left wing media. Seems selective.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  14. #1364
    Find me something in the Guardian or Times that's been fact-checked on in the past year and has been revealed to be a fabrication.

    Meanwhile I'm sure I can find a half dozen things in the DM or Express in the past week alone that score as "pants on fire."
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  15. #1365
    Goddamn Libtard dictionary!

    https://www.google.com/search?client...oke+definition

    Woke

    adjectiveinformal•US
    adjective: woke; comparative adjective: woker; superlative adjective: wokest

    alert to injustice in society, especially racism
    So your issue with woke people is that they act morally superior to racists?


    Seriously though, I agree there are some "woke" people who are overbearing and overly judgmental. But there's people like that on the right as well.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  16. #1366
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Find me something in the Guardian or Times that's been fact-checked on in the past year and has been revealed to be a fabrication.

    Meanwhile I'm sure I can find a half dozen things in the DM or Express in the past week alone that score as "pants on fire."
    I might remind you as well that a certain Britain Trump got fired from the Times for making things up.

    He's obviously not fit to be a journalist, and is only qualified to be PM and #MEGA cult leader.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  17. #1367
    So your issue with woke people is that they act morally superior to racists?
    No. If woke simply meant anti-racist, then it wouldn't be much of an insult.

    I'm anti-racist. That doesn't make me woke. What makes people woke is when they assume that their moral compass is superior to that of anyone who disagrees with their world view. Racism is an interesting one because, as far as I'm concerned, left wing "anti-racism" is itself racist. To me, to be anti-racist is to treat everyone equally. To the left, to be anti-racist means to treat black people as a race like they are victims. I find the idea of treating black people differently to white people to be racist. I'm not ignorant to the fact black people are much, much more likely to be subject to racism, and an awareness of this is fine. But to treat black people differently is not the way to deal with racism, on the contrary it reinforces it.

    If you disagree with me there, fine. I don't think that makes you morally inferior to me. I don't think that makes you racist. Thus, I am not woke.

    Seriously though, I agree there are some "woke" people who are overbearing and overly judgmental. But there's people like that on the right as well.
    Definitely. There's idiots on all sides.

    Find me something in the Guardian or Times that's been fact-checked on in the past year and has been revealed to be a fabrication.
    Nice caveat with "fact-checked". Who do you think the fact checkers are? This isn't fact-checking in the scientific sense. It's fact checking in the sense of checking what the accepted narrative is.

    Left wing media promotes state narrative. Right wing media challenges it. Neither are sincere.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  18. #1368
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    What makes people woke is when they assume that their moral compass is superior to that of anyone who disagrees with their world view.
    Seems like you've changed the meaning of "woke" into a convenient catch-all term for anyone who disagrees with your worldview, and tries to convince you you're wrong. I mean you basically don't have a problem with the dictionary definition, which would classify you as "woke," so you've come up your own and/or adopted the negative connotation of "woke" used by the far-right loonies for your own ideological reasons (i.e., because you disagree with the left on a more general basis, so calling them "woke" as an insult is a convenient rhetorical device).



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Racism is an interesting one because, as far as I'm concerned, left wing "anti-racism" is itself racist. To me, to be anti-racist is to treat everyone equally.
    Absolutely.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    To the left, to be anti-racist means to treat black people as a race like they are victims. I find the idea of treating black people differently to white people to be racist. I'm not ignorant to the fact black people are much, much more likely to be subject to racism, and an awareness of this is fine. But to treat black people differently is not the way to deal with racism, on the contrary it reinforces it.
    Not to all of us. But I agree there are well-meaning people who confuse equality with "retribution," or some such.

    Like, if you think black people should get an advantage today to compensate for historical abuses from centuries past, this is unfair imo.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    If you disagree with me there, fine. I don't think that makes you morally inferior to me. I don't think that makes you racist. Thus, I am not woke.
    How about we agree that you're not using the word "woke" correctly according to the dictionary and leave it at that.




    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Nice caveat with "fact-checked". Who do you think the fact checkers are? This isn't fact-checking in the scientific sense. It's fact checking in the sense of checking what the accepted narrative is.
    lol, so now the fact checkers are in on the conspiracy.

    It's often pretty easy to find disparities between the objective truth and what someone has said. cf. Trump and Britain Trump.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Left wing media promotes state narrative. Right wing media challenges it. Neither are sincere.
    So the BBC, that refuses to report anything negative about the Tories, is more left-wing than the Guardian and the Times, who both do.

    This is a gross oversimplification and not even remotely accurate.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  19. #1369
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I kinda remember a prominent BLM march in London a bit over a year ago when the entire world screamed about the same thing for the first time in history.

    Seems monumentally stupid to ignore that. Whether or not they're right (and history says they are), ignoring the raw power of that human sentiment can't lead to good things.

    A big problem with understanding racism, IMO, is the word privilege connotes some bonus advantage, when in reality it's a lack of a bunch of tiny disadvantages.

    Your language of "treating them as victims" is loaded AF. When, at least in the US, many, many statistics show that supposedly historical racism has left dramatic marks on modern life, then the word victim is at least somewhat appropriate. The widespread, systemic racism in just home ownership in the US is stark. The systematic, intentional criminalization of black culture to strip away the right to vote from "felons" is not hyperbolic. The people who wrote the laws that accomplish this have confessed to their insidious racist intent, and the laws are still being enforced.

    So obviously treating an individual like they're a victim of society is problematic, but it's also problematic to look at this evidence and NOT say that black people as a group are still being victimized by racist laws. At least... that's my take on it.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  20. #1370
    I mean you basically don't have a problem with the dictionary definition
    I have a problem with it in the sense that it means a lot more than anti-racist. Perhaps the term originated in that context, but it certainly has evolved into something more.

    Like, if you think black people should get an advantage today to compensate for historical abuses from centuries past, this is unfair imo.
    Excellent. I don't think you're woke. It's not something left-leaning people automatically become. For example, you're not typically leftist when it comes to trans rights. You're more balanced and try to see it from both sides of the debate.

    How about we agree that you're not using the word "woke" correctly according to the dictionary and leave it at that.
    No. You're using an outdated definition. Try the wikipedia page...

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

    Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a term, originating in the United States, that originally referred to awareness about racial prejudice and discrimination. It subsequently came to encompass an awareness of other issues of social inequality, for instance regarding gender and sexual orientation. Since the late 2010s, it has also been used as a general term for left-wing political movements and perspectives which emphasise the identity politics of people of color, LGBT people, and women.
    With this in mind, it's a term that is basically used for people who are neck deep in identity politics.

    lol, so now the fact checkers are in on the conspiracy.
    Yes.

    So the BBC, that refuses to report anything negative about the Tories, is more left-wing than the Guardian and the Times, who both do.
    The BBC is very strange. On the one hand, they promote identity politics with a left wing agenda. On the other, they are pro-Tory. But they are pro-Tory because they are state media. They will be pro whoever is in power.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  21. #1371
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I kinda remember a prominent BLM march in London a bit over a year ago when the entire world screamed about the same thing for the first time in history.

    Seems monumentally stupid to ignore that. Whether or not they're right (and history says they are), ignoring the raw power of that human sentiment can't lead to good things.

    A big problem with understanding racism, IMO, is the word privilege connotes some bonus advantage, when in reality it's a lack of a bunch of tiny disadvantages.

    Your language of "treating them as victims" is loaded AF. When, at least in the US, many, many statistics show that supposedly historical racism has left dramatic marks on modern life, then the word victim is at least somewhat appropriate. The widespread, systemic racism in just home ownership in the US is stark. The systematic, intentional criminalization of black culture to strip away the right to vote from "felons" is not hyperbolic. The people who wrote the laws that accomplish this have confessed to their insidious racist intent, and the laws are still being enforced.

    So obviously treating an individual like they're a victim of society is problematic, but it's also problematic to look at this evidence and NOT say that black people as a group are still being victimized by racist laws. At least... that's my take on it.
    The problem for me is when we say that black people are victims, and treat them differently to white people. The term "white privilege" really hits this nerve. It ignores individual circumstances and puts everyone in a box based on their skin colour. White people all around the world suffer from a lack of privilege too. But when we talk of "white privilege" we basically dismiss those who are white and live in poverty, or suffer from some form of discrimination.

    I know we'll never agree on this, and I think that's largely a result of where we live. It seems that racism is a much bigger problem in USA than the UK. There are people who want to make racism an equal problem in the UK, but that isn't the case. And black people are not deprived of opportunity in USA, as best I can tell. There was recently a black president, there are many successful black sports stars and musicians, there don't appear to be barriers other than poverty, which can affect anyone of any colour. I appreciate black people are more likely to live in poverty than white people, in USA, and probably UK too, but that isn't necessarily institutional racism. It's possible, and this is just me speculating in an effort to find non-racist reasons for it, that those whose ancestors come from the country they live in, are better off due to the settled nature of their ancestors. Many black people are first, second or third generation immigrants. Most white people have ancestry dating back a century or more. This gives those settled people a natural advantage that isn't due to racism.

    I know USA has laws in place that are racist, we've talked about this in the past. That clearly needs to change. We don't have that problem in the UK, and that probably skews my opinion on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  22. #1372
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    The phrase "white privilege" conjures images of white people getting hand-outs and "extras" in life. That's a problem, 'cause that's not what it actually means in practice. In practice, it's not that white people get bank loans they shouldn't get, it's that black people don't get bank loans they should get. In practice, it's not that white people don't get busted for drugs, it's that the drugs white people do face lesser criminal charges than the drugs black people do. In practice, it's not that white people never get pulled over by the cops when they haven't done anything wrong, but the white people are more likely to be let go without some trumped up charge the cop found after they decided to pull over the black people.

    The list goes on and on. The history that has put these forces in place is known more and more all the time, and the more it's known, the more it becomes undeniable.

    There certainly are also economic factors at play. Poor white people exist and have their struggles. Poor black people face those same struggles, plus all the racial stuff. That's what is meant by white privilege. You get to be poor and NOT face being overcriminalized, disproportionately more likely to be shot by police while unarmed, denied bank loans to start a business and pull yourself up by your bootstraps that others aren't denied.

    And in the end, when you understand these arguments represent reality... when the statistics back it up, and the history backs it up, and the racist politicians' confessions back it up, and the banks get exposed in the goddamn 1990's for continuing practices outlawed in the civil war.... you know... what do you want to call it, if not privilege to not be the group targeted by all these things?

    Whatever you call it, it is what it is.
    Last edited by MadMojoMonkey; 08-14-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  23. #1373
    In practice, it's not that white people don't get busted for drugs, it's that the drugs white people do face lesser criminal charges than the drugs black people do. In practice, it's not that white people never get pulled over by the cops when they haven't done anything wrong, but the white people are more likely to be let go without some trumped up charge the cop found after they decided to pull over the black people.
    This is a USA problem. I don't have this privilege. Or, more to the point, black people don't have this lack of privilege. The law treats everyone equally here, at least when it comes to race. Maybe the term "white privilege" has some merit in USA, but I sincerely do not think that is the case here. Racism is outright illegal here.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  24. #1374
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    https://twitter.com/sophielouisecc/s...291565078?s=20

    I have noticed when in the UK that a lot of you guys like to have pictures of your favorite royalty on the walls, but this is new.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  25. #1375
    lol that's Thatcher.

    Personally I've never seen a picture of the Queen, Thatcher, any royalty, or any PM on the wall of someone's house. If I did, I'd probably be all "is that the time?" and fuck off .
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  26. #1376
    lol, that's just weird.

    That said, >50% of students getting an A or A+ or A* or whatever the fuck they call it is pretty ridiculous. What's the point of having A be the median mark?
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  27. #1377
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    https://twitter.com/sophielouisecc/s...291565078?s=20

    I have noticed when in the UK that a lot of you guys like to have pictures of your favorite royalty on the walls
    Well, if there were any successful Austrian kings or queens you might do the same.

    Bazinga!
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  28. #1378
    Reminded me of this though. This is an actual British MP. Guess she's never had Ong over for dinner, even though they're both just as pissed at woke people.

    https://twitter.com/andreajenkyns/st...02167320596482
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  29. #1379
    Woke people tend to be anti-royalty, but being anti-royalty isn't itself woke.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  30. #1380
    Expert on the intricacies of wokeness ITT.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  31. #1381
    Admittedly, this would look pretty strange mounted on your living room wall.




    Also, who dies like that? Talk about overacting...
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  32. #1382
    That's kinda cool, not that I'd want it on my wall. Still, preferable to that Thatcher mural .
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  33. #1383
    Frankly, if you wear that hat, you're kind of asking for it.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  34. #1384
    Even more gaudy in colour. Green ostrich feathers? srsly?

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  35. #1385
    Who are these people? It's hard to even guess what region of the world this is. There's a guy who appears to be wearing a fez, and they appear white, so I'll punt at Egypt.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  36. #1386
    It's Franz Ferdinand. I did think for a minute it could be him, but I couldn't see his glorious moustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  37. #1387
    Jesus Christ, read a book.

    It's Sarajevo. The fez is because the Mayor is muslim.

    Back in them days, Sarajevo was in Bosnia-Herzogovinia, which Austria-Hungary had just annexed. Franz was there to watch the army maneouvres. Bad timing as it was the anniversary of a Serb martyr who died fighting the Turks hundreds of years ago. So it was a slap in the face to the locals, the kind of ignorant thing Boris would do. Except Austria Boris got killed. And a month later WWI started.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  38. #1388
    Jesus Christ, read a book.
    lol do you really expect everyone to instantly recognise Franz Ferdinand? I didn't know the guy wore outrageous headwear.

    Back in them days, Sarajevo was in Bosnia-Herzogovinia
    It still is. Jesus Christ, read a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  39. #1389
    Sarajevo went through a period of being in Yugoslavia. So yes, it was in B-H back then, then it was in Yugo., and now it's in B-H again. Funny huh?

    A person who was following the convo about royalty, Austria, and had a vague sense of when the picture was taken by looking at the car in the grainy b/w photo and the drawing of the same guy being shot might have sussed out it was Franz Ferdinand.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  40. #1390
    Sarajevo went through a period of being in Yugoslavia. So yes, it was in B-H back then, then it was in Yugo., and now it's in B-H again. Funny huh?
    Bosnia and Herzegovina was part of Yugoslavia. It's now independent. So Sarajevo has always been in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Under Austria-Hungarian rule it was called Condominium of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

    A person who was following the convo about royalty, Austria, and had a vague sense of when the picture was taken by looking at the car in the grainy b/w photo and the drawing of the same guy being shot might have sussed out it was Franz Ferdinand.
    A person who followed the timeline of my posts might have sussed out that I sussed out it's Franz Ferdinand. It took me four minutes to go from "who are these people" to "it's Franz". That four minutes was spent doing a google image search which included "Franz Ferdinand", which at first yielded lots of results of a portrait of him sporting a glorious moustache (an image I would have recognised much faster), and a few pics of a UK band (one decent song), before I added "mural" to the search, which then confirmed it. So clearly I quickly figured it out all by myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  41. #1391
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Bosnia and Herzegovina was part of Yugoslavia. It's now independent. So Sarajevo has always been in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Under Austria-Hungarian rule it was called Condominium of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Yeah ok. Good luck convincing anyone you knew that before today though.



    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    A person who followed the timeline of my posts might have sussed out that I sussed out it's Franz Ferdinand. It took me four minutes to go from "who are these people" to "it's Franz". That four minutes was spent doing a google image search which included "Franz Ferdinand", which at first yielded lots of results of a portrait of him sporting a glorious moustache (an image I would have recognised much faster), and a few pics of a UK band (one decent song), before I added "mural" to the search, which then confirmed it. So clearly I quickly figured it out all by myself.
    Just like you figured out the geographical history of Sarajevo all by yourself. Well done.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  42. #1392
    Yeah ok. Good luck convincing anyone you knew that before today though.
    I knew Sarajevo is, and always was, in Bosnia. idk about Bosnia and Herzegovina, but I do know that this region did not only come into existence as a result of the Yugoslav wars.

    Just like you figured out the geographical history of Sarajevo all by yourself. Well done.
    lol, idk what your problem is here. I post "who is this" and then immediately say "oh I know" and you're trying to mock me for it. Fuck me you're desperate today.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  43. #1393
    Like I said, it's funny that it didn't immediately dawn on you who it was.

    Do you recognize the guy getting shot in this photo? I'll give you a hint: he's not British.

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  44. #1394
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Not gonna lie, my first guess was James Wilkes Booth - not the correct presidential assassin, though.

    Lee Harvey Oswald is the one overacting being shot. Jack Ruby is the one shooting.

    But the guy in white's face really is the Mona Lisa of this photo, IMO.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  45. #1395
    lol I immediately thought Oswald. But it was an educated guess.It's clearly USA, relatively modern history but black and white photo, and it's obviously not Kennedy. So that's the next obvious one to go for. Didn't Booth shoot Lincoln? It's obviously not that era, surely.

    I didn't remember Ruby's name, and I've no idea who the guy in white is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  46. #1396
    Like I said, it's funny that it didn't immediately dawn on you who it was.

    The fez threw me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  47. #1397
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    lol I immediately thought Oswald. But it was an educated guess.It's clearly USA, relatively modern history but black and white photo, and it's obviously not Kennedy. So that's the next obvious one to go for. Didn't Booth shoot Lincoln? It's obviously not that era, surely.

    I didn't remember Ruby's name, and I've no idea who the guy in white is.
    Yeah, Booth shot Lincoln. Definitely wrong era.

    I immediately recognized the scene of "that's the guy who shot the president getting shot on live TV"

    But my brain went straight to, "James Wilkes Booth shot a president, right?"
    And I kinda knew it was wrong, but I just couldn't pull Oswald's name out of my memory.

    Lee Harvey Oswald and Jack Ruby just go together in my head. I never hear about one without the other, really.

    Had to google who the guy in white was. James R. Leavelle
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  48. #1398
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Having read the whole article about the guy, and looking at the photo again...
    I'd never noticed that his hand is halfway down Oswald's pants before.
    Nice to get the explanation before noticing that first.

    If you didn't read the article: That's the detective that was handcuffed to Oswald, and had seen Ruby brandish the gun, and was trying to yoink Oswald out of the way.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  49. #1399
    It's not like I'd have been able to recall Booth's name if not prompted. But as soon as I hear his name, I know who he shot. But Oswald, he's more famous I guess, certainly outside of USA.

    Imagine shooting someone when there's a fuckton of cops around. Imagine giving that few fucks. I'm in no doubt there's a conspiracy of some sort there. I just don't care enough to read up on it and form some kind of opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  50. #1400
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Admittedly, this would look pretty strange mounted on your living room wall.




    Also, who dies like that? Talk about overacting...
    This is awesome! I'm already looking for print shops in my area because I'm totally putting that up.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  51. #1401
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Not gonna lie, my first guess was James Wilkes Booth - not the correct presidential assassin, though.
    Apart from the cowboy hat, which is a clue it's out west somewhere, the other hats all scream 1960s. B/w photo also indicates probably before 1970.


    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Lee Harvey Oswald is the one overacting being shot. Jack Ruby is the one shooting.
    Oswald. Such a ham.




    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    But the guy in white's face really is the Mona Lisa of this photo, IMO.
    Haha, that face is indeed the stuff of legends.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  52. #1402
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    This is awesome! I'm already looking for print shops in my area because I'm totally putting that up.
    It's not already?

    Edit: MA-HGA
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 08-17-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  53. #1403
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,698
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I've seen the Lee Harvey Oswald Band version of that photo so much more than the original, the original looks like the photoshopped one to me.
    Last edited by oskar; 08-17-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  54. #1404
    I reckon if you put up that print of FF getting shot in your house, then took a photo and posted it on twitter, there'd be at least one devoutly reactionary Austrian MA-HGA monarchist who'd lose their shit.

    Gotta be worth a try.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  55. #1405
    On to the next quiz: Where is this building? You can name the country (in fact that's the only thing I know about it, I just came across it on twitter).

    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  56. #1406
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasir-ol-Molk_Mosque

    Iran


    Google was so kind to me. I searched "rainbow mosque" and got it on first hit.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  57. #1407
    Cheat.

    I initially thought India.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  58. #1408
    Googling is kind of against the spirit of the thing yeah.

    I would not have guessed it was a mosque, though I suppose it's hard to imagine it being part of a palace or something.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  59. #1409
    Translation: "Find a way to protest racism that doesn't upset racists."

    https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/st...76523810467840
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  60. #1410
    Googling is kind of against the spirit of the thing yeah.
    Googling to confirm a hunch is ok, at least I think so. Like me searching "franz ferdinand mural" is me basically me asking google "is it Franz?". But searching "rainbow mosque" is basically saying "I give up, tell me the answer". Like, basically if google answer is either yes or no, then it's ok to ask, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  61. #1411
    Reading that post back makes me sounds like a blonde bimbo, the amount of times I say "like basically".
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  62. #1412
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    But searching "rainbow mosque" is basically saying "I give up, tell me the answer"
    Agreed.

    I would have originally thought somewhere between Turkey and India, and eventually guessed Iran because I've seen a fair bit of Iranian architecture before and it's the level of fine detail that makes it stand out. Just like with Persian rugs.

    Some team of motherfuckers sewed this together by hand. Worth about £1500.




    The other clues are it wasn't built recently obv., so whoever built it back in the day must have had a fair bit of dough, which I think leaves Iraq and Afghanistan and S. Arabia out. A bit too ostentatious for Turkey imo. So either some rich Indian ruler or rich Persian ruler, and the level of detail says Persian.
    Last edited by Poopadoop; 08-18-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  63. #1413
    Another professional association joins the Remainer conspiracy to blame Brexit for the problems caused by Brexit. The Army must be out of trucks now.

    https://news.sky.com/story/food-indu...-says-12384770
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  64. #1414
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,629
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Fine, take away my points. I don't even like this game, anyway. No, you are.
    Shut up. I'm going home.



    Funny thing about Persian rugs when I was in Dubai. The people selling them kept saying, "Iran! Iran!" when they would show the rugs, proclaiming their authenticity as excellent rugs, I suppose. I mean, I did buy a nice runner for the upstairs hallway, and damn if it isn't an excellent, beautiful rug that feels amazing on bare feet.

    I remember thinking... you know... it hasn't been called Persia for a long stinkin' time, and yet we persist to call them Persian rugs.
    My culture is kinda crap sometimes. Ah well. At least I have a nice rug.
    You can find any pattern you want to any level of precision you want, if you're prepared to ignore enough data.
  65. #1415
    Conservatives: Turning the UK into a shithole country one disaster at a time.

    https://twitter.com/abdi_d96/status/1427946706822381572
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  66. #1416
    I didn't listen, is he having a moan about Boris wanting everyone to have to have a vaccination passport to enter a voting booth, whilst simultaneously being against ID for voting?

    Oh wait that's not Boris, it's Keir.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  67. #1417
    I remember thinking... you know... it hasn't been called Persia for a long stinkin' time, and yet we persist to call them Persian rugs.
    Pretty sure their language is still called Persian.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  68. #1418
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Pretty sure their language is still called Persian.
    Farsi.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  69. #1419
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I didn't listen, is he having a moan about Boris wanting everyone to have to have a vaccination passport to enter a voting booth, whilst simultaneously being against ID for voting?
    Voter ID is anti-democratizing. It's basically a way to keep non-white British types from voting.

    Surprised you'd be in favour of it, given how much you love democracy.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  70. #1420
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I didn't listen
    Of course you didn't. Wouldn't want to hear about how both the PM and Deputy PM/Foreign Secretary went on holiday during a foreign affairs disaster, then stayed on holiday while things got even worse. Or about how a couple of months ago the PM said "there's no path to victory for the Taliban."
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  71. #1421
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Farsi.
    I had to check, we're both right.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_language
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  72. #1422
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopadoop View Post
    Voter ID is anti-democratizing. It's basically a way to keep non-white British types from voting.

    Surprised you'd be in favour of it, given how much you love democracy.
    I didn't express a view either way, I simply pointed out a seemingly contradictory position.

    I'm against vaccination passports. As for voter ID, I'm not sure. It's got nothing to do with non-whites. I don't know why everything has to be about race to you. Non-white have access to identification, every bit as much as I do. You already have to be on the electoral register to vote, which means you have to be legally registered as a voter. This already discriminates against people who are not on the system. But those who are not on the system, they either don't want to vote (or they would get on the system), or they are here illegally, in which case why should they vote? I don't see why voter ID is such a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  73. #1423
    You don't think it's interesting that the libertarian freedom-loving Cons are so interested in having voter ID? You don't think they have an angle on that?

    All I know is this issue was raised in the US by Trump and the Rs, and it was there too basically a way to keep non-whites from voting.

    If there was evidence of people voting fraudulently on any serious level, they might have a better case for requiring voter ID. But there wasn't in the US and there isn't here either.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  74. #1424
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post

    I'm against vaccination passports.
    I think Macron said it best on this, speaking to the anti-vaxxers in France. "If you don't want to get vaccinated, you don't have to. But, we've been locked up for a year and a half waiting for the vaccine to free us. Now it's here, and now it's your turn to stay home."

    Either get a vaccine passport or get a note from the doctor saying why you can't be vaccinated. Otherwise, fuck off, I don't want your germs.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry
  75. #1425
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    Funny thing about Persian rugs when I was in Dubai. The people selling them kept saying, "Iran! Iran!" when they would show the rugs, proclaiming their authenticity as excellent rugs, I suppose. I mean, I did buy a nice runner for the upstairs hallway, and damn if it isn't an excellent, beautiful rug that feels amazing on bare feet.
    How much did you pay for it? Real Persian rugs are hand-woven, take a long time to make, and are stupid expensive. Doesn't mean it's not a nice rug, but if it wasn't expensive it's prolly not a Persian.
    I just think we should suspend judgment on Trump until we have all the facts through an inquiry

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •