Select Page
Poker Forum
Over 1,287,000 Posts!
Poker ForumFTR Community

Cool Shit We're Doing Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 75 of 152
  1. #1
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina

    Default Cool Shit We're Doing Thread

    Post about cool shit that you're doing. Work, hobbies, smashing buttcheeks, whatever.

    Let's keep the politics bullshit to the other 900 threads plz.
  2. #2
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Work:
    Doing research into the current state of the art of multimedia physics education to find out what the folks who've been doing my job for a while have written about it.
    I'm working toward incorporating this into curriculum-supporting material like multiple choice questions and prompting the audience to make hypotheses about what the result of the demo will be. This will be an aid to anyone using the demo by handing them something that expands the utility of the demo and engages the audience in critical thinking.


    Home:
    Minecraft
    Project Ozone 2: Reloaded

    Nearing end-game Infinity Armor set and somehow still haven't unlocked one of the quest chains.
  3. #3
    I could currently be the world's best "chess on an infinite plane" player.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  4. #4
    Work: I have a job. I do financial planning and analysis for an airline service company with operations at 19 major airports nationwide. It's a lot of spreadsheets followed by translating spreadsheets into english for everybody else's benefit. Everyone I work with is overwhelmed and intimidated by MS Excel. They think what I do is difficult, complicated, and time consuming. It isn't. Not even close.

    Most days I open a spreadsheet. Do about 3 minutes of work on it, and then just leave it open on my screen while I fuck off on FTR for a couple hours.

    Side-work: I mentioned it briefly in a short-lived post in another thread, but I have a little online side business doing some text-based interactions with pretty far out-there folks. It's mostly passive income, but when I do have a weekend to sink into it, I can usually scoop a grand.

    Home: I have 3 kids. All girls. None of them teenagers yet. Most people like to taunt me by saying that 'the hardest years are ahead'. That terrifies me so I did some research. It turns out that you can feed, clothe, and educate a kid in Africa for like...70 cents a day. So right now my goal is to save up enough money to send them there.

    I'm divorced, so I only have the kids half the time. The rest of the time I'm doing some hodgepodge of activities that occupy my time but couldn't really be called "hobbies". Work outs, errands, chores, video games, side-biz stuff, and smoking weed.

    I date. But only superficially. I'm kind of a cold, self-centered ass hole, with some sociopathic tendencies. I recognize this, but I'm not enough of a sociopath to actually hurt people. So a couple of times per year I will engage with lady until it gets to the point where I have to put in real effort, then I mercifully move on. Mostly I just like knowing that I *could* have a long-term girlfriend if I wanted one, and that's all I really need right now.

    The other major activity I'm involved in is hiking. A few years ago I realized I'm getting older and my health isn't going to stay good all by itself. I'm not a religious workout fanatic. I am guilty of more than a few food-based indulgences. I hate jogging and I don't like any class-based workout regime.

    So a couple of times a year, I will set out on a mission to reach the summit of a mountain. Reaching that summit tells me that I'm not yet a pathetic irredeemable fat-ass. As long as I can make it to the top, I feel like I don't have to worry too much about what kind of shape I'm in.

    There are 48 mountains in New Hampshire that exceed 4,000 feet in elevation and 200 feet of prominence. I've climbed 21 of them.

    Some of them are relatively easy treks.



    Others are somewhat difficult excursions.



    I got to some places only real badasses can get to. The peak pictured below is about 10 miles from the nearest road. From the summit, the only man-made structures you can see are the weather station on top of Mt Washington, and some ski-slopes carved into the side of another ridge about 10 miles away.



    And I had some friends to keep me company

    Attached Images
    Last edited by BananaStand; 02-08-2018 at 04:39 PM.
  5. #5
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    It turns out that you can feed, clothe, and educate a kid in Africa for like...70 cents a day. So right now my goal is to save up enough money to send them there.


    epic pics
  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post


    epic pics
    Thanks. Can't take credit for that joke though, I stole it from Anthony Jeselnik. Let's just say that his comedy isn't for everybody, so I get away with stealing that one alot.
  7. #7
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Work:

    I work for myself as a writer, consultant and content manager in the gambling industry. I'm done working by lunch each day because I don't really care for putting in a shitload of hours. I have a pretty steady set of clients for the most part, but I'm constantly putting out feelers just to make sure I know what's available in case a client falls off of the face of the planet, gets hit by a bus, sells his business, etc.

    I've been aiming for 2018 to be the year that I cut back on this work and start diversifying my time a bit more, and I've been doing that so far this year for the most part.

    Project #1:

    I've been working on a self-help type of website. I don't think it's something that's ever going to fall out of fashion, and since it seems like anxiety and depression are still on the rise, I figure that it's a good investment for the future. I won't link to it here because I want to keep my actual identity completely separate from it.

    Project #2:

    For a while, I've been considering getting back into chess. I was relatively serious about it in my late teens and got fairly decent (current at a strength of 1900-2000 elo). I've worked on it on and off for a while, but I never really felt like it was a good use of time because I was putting so much work into getting myself established otherwise. I've been looking at some stuff the past few days, and I decided to give it two weeks of preparation to see if I'm still liking it. If that goes well, I'll probably get back into playing tournaments up and down the East Coast again and whatever.

    Home Life:

    https://i.imgur.com/y2CTm5v.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/D2WU3bk.png

    K (no glasses in the above) graduates in her digital media program at the end of this semester, and she's going to continue building her business. She does photo editing for different companies in the US, most of which is for weddings. She'll sometimes have 6,000+ pictures to sort through for one wedding that she prunes down to 600-1,000 just depending on the job. That seems like a lot until you realize there are 2-3 photographers going for 8-10 hours straight, plus engagement pictures. Shit's cray.

    N (wearing glasses in the above) is still getting through some medical stuff and some other bullshit. She's set up doing her own freelancing deal right now that pays the bills, and she's been working a lot on calligraphy and her drawing for the past several months. She's making some pretty cool stuff at this point. She takes excellent care of myself, K and our home. We're looking at her starting on finishing her chemistry degree this fall or next spring.

    I'm also in Discord a lot with wufwugy, Savy and whoever else if you want to come hit me up. Here's an invite link: https://discord.gg/qNtbGsd
    Last edited by spoonitnow; 02-08-2018 at 09:09 PM.
  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Work:I've been working on a self-help type of website. I don't think it's something that's ever going to fall out of fashion, and since it seems like anxiety and depression are still on the rise, I figure that it's a good investment for the future. I won't link to it here because I want to keep my actual identity completely separate from it.
    spoonitnow + self-help website = receipe for human catastrophe
  9. #9
    If you want a rematch spoon I'd be well down with that. You gave me a good game, iirc you opened better than me but I outplayed you in the middlegame, I don't doubt you're capable of beating me, especially if you can get to 1900 standard (that's my gameknot rating).
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  10. #10
    Go on then I'll play your "what are we doing" game.

    Work - just started a new job stripping down printers and testing the parts, it's boring but it's a means to an end. Either I work from hom in six months (listing said parts on ebay and dealing with emails and spreadsheets etc), or I find another job closer to my new home.

    Life - just moved out of my shitty town to the countryside. Before, outside noises were twats, sirens, screaming children and general traffic noise. Now it's cows, owls, pheasants, tractors and wind. It was my birthday last Sunday and I didn't see a single person all day, it was bliss.

    Hobbies - I intend to dive deeper into chess soon, improving my openings. Got 40-odd opening books which I intend to start reading through the year. Also started to play other chess formats, in particular "infinite plane chess", which as I said above, I seem to be the best at (there's around 10 people actively playing so my brag about maybe being the best in the world is somewhat tenuous).

    Also, when spring comes, I'm gonna start doing stuff in the garden, since I have a fucking nice garden. Maybe grow some herbs and fruit. Also, I want a dog, but I need to be not working an hour away if that's to be the case, so not possible yet. That's another one for summer.

    Life is getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  11. #11
    CoccoBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,214
    Location
    Finding my game
    I oversee security, business continuity and risk management for a gov agency. Other than that I work out, drink beer and try to travel as much as possible (hit country #50 last year). Divorced, dating, no kids. I was already old when I joined ftr, so I'm like really ancient now, but I don't look it, which is a plus. I also occasionally shitpost in the commune when I'm not busy pretending to have a life.
    Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Also, I want a dog
    Pet ownership is a symptom of insanity.
  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Pet ownership is a symptom of insanity.
    What, and being happy that I literally saw no other person on my birthday isn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    What, and being happy that I literally saw no other person on my birthday isn't?
    You're setting the bar too low.

    Keep grinding. get a few paychecks ahead.

    Then maybe on your next birthday you can be happy that you saw no other person ......except that asian hooker.
  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    You're setting the bar too low.

    Keep grinding. get a few paychecks ahead.

    Then maybe on your next birthday you can be happy that you saw no other person ......except that asian hooker.
    My next birthday is my 40th. I might go to Japan alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    My next birthday is my 40th. I might go to Japan alone.
    I positively refuse to leave the continental 48, but if that weren't the case, I'd take the same trip.

    I've done a few solo trips to Vegas. That's all I can say.
  17. #17
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    I positively refuse to leave the continental 48
    A-fucking-men to that.
  18. #18
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,678
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    I'm working as a contractor for a civil engineering company. We recently dropped some high level clients so we could re-allocate resources to build spoon's bitches a sandwich.

    Also practicing guitar again.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  19. #19
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by oskar View Post
    Also practicing guitar again.
    You should play something, record it and post it here.
  20. #20
    I'll let y'all know in a week when I have a better handle on the new things in my life.
  21. #21
    oskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    6,678
    Location
    in ur accounts... confiscating ur funz
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    You should play something, record it and post it here.
    Maybe I'll do that. I also have some Bob Ross style wet-on-wet paintings I'd love to share.
    Last edited by oskar; 02-09-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    The strengh of a hero is defined by the weakness of his villains.
  22. #22
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Lame.
  23. #23
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Did the Valentine's Day thing early last night since we'll be pretty busy through the middle of this week. I did the wrapping myself (insert gay comments here). I got the girls a card, some chocolate they like and a Lego set apiece.

  24. #24
    Lego set? Someone should check that spoon's girls are, well, not actual girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  25. #25
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Lego set? Someone should check that spoon's girls are, well, not actual girls.
    Here are the final results:



    Thor and Loki on wheels. Thor's face is fucking hilarious.



    The set she got was the middle part with Charmander and Squirtle. It connect together with the Bulbasaur/Pikachu set on the left. This is all of her Lego pokemans together (plus a tiny Luigi).
  26. #26
    Is anyone else looking at these Lego pics and going "what the fuck?"

    I remember opening lego sets and having a pile of non-descript bricks that eventually came together as a toy police station, or space shuttle. There was a sense of "creating" and opportunities for customization that guaranteed "replay value"

    the sets pictured above look like they offer none of that. You got pieces of a Pikachu that can only be assembled into a Pikachu. So why go Lego? Just buy a Pikachu.
  27. #27
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I went through that decades ago. Lego released a 2-piece motorcycle in the late 90's that signaled the beginning of the end for them.
    They're still around, though, so shows what I know.
  28. #28
    You do realise you can improvise with these lego sets, don't you? Just because it has exactly the correct amount of bricks for a motorbike, doesn't mean you can't make a space ship with it.

    Fuck's sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  29. #29
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    You do realise you can improvise with these lego sets, don't you? Just because it has exactly the correct amount of bricks for a motorbike, doesn't mean you can't make a space ship with it.

    Fuck's sake.
    That motorcycle had 2 pieces: a bike with a rear wheel, and the forks, handlebars and front wheel were the other piece.

    I can't wait to see your epic Lego motorcycle rocket. That will be some Cool Shit.
  30. #30
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    That motorcycle had 2 pieces: a bike with a rear wheel, and the forks, handlebars and front wheel were the other piece.
    Can you find a link? I'd like to see this.
  31. #31
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    I'm not sure if this is the same one, since I have no idea where the family Lego cart ended up, but it looks about like my memory.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    That motorcycle had 2 pieces: a bike with a rear wheel, and the forks, handlebars and front wheel were the other piece.

    I can't wait to see your epic Lego motorcycle rocket. That will be some Cool Shit.
    Are you sure it wasn't a Kinder egg toy?
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  33. #33
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMojoMonkey View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the same one, since I have no idea where the family Lego cart ended up, but it looks about like my memory.

    Okay I thought you were talking about a larger motorcycle. I can see why that's just a couple of pieces. They did similar with things like chests and cannons with the pirate sets.
  34. #34
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina


    I got her this one for Christmas in her stocking. There are lots of little figures like this made out of the more basic blocks that come in little packets for $2-3 now. They're pretty cool.
  35. #35
    I remember when legos were gangster. When I had all the spaceships and castles and my brother had all the pirates and we duked it out.
  36. #36
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I remember when legos were gangster. When I had all the spaceships and castles and my brother had all the pirates and we duked it out.
    M2M were talking about similar a couple of nights ago. The big Barracuda pirate ship goes for $500-$1000 on eBay now depending on the condition.
  37. #37
    Wow. My brother kept that one in great condition until my nieces got a hold of it. They played with it for probably a day then ruined it like normal I'm sure.
  38. #38
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Yeah it's pretty crazy how much some of that stuff is worth now because they don't make it anymore.
  39. #39
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/humo...fzY?li=BBnbfcL

    This almost happened to me. They were playing in a city near me, but at a venue that didn't make much sense. I was seeing a girl at the time who would have been really into a RHCP concert. I mentioned it to her. She didn't believe me, went online and found out the truth.

    Crisis averted.
  40. #40
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Wow that sucks.
  41. #41
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina


    Today we're working on curved borders I guess.
  42. #42
    Had my first week at my new job. Working for my first cousin once removed (mom's cousin). Roofing company. The office is on my great great grandfather's old property, so that's neat. He was one of the first settlers in this region, used to own like half the land in what is now several cities area.

    Anyways, my area of focus is mainly content marketing. So I'm beginning mostly with studying SEO and blogging a ton. I'm not sure what to think because there is still uncertainty due to my newness to it, but it seems to be a near perfect fit for me. It's funny, I was telling Savy on discord about the lamo jobs I've been applying to and he said he would have thought I would be looking for something more "big picture". That's true, given my personality and skill set, but tough to find anything like that. Well, this job is "big picture" in spades. I have a lot of freedom and a ton of responsibility and I'll get out of this what I put into it. I'm also doing other stuff with construction related software. There's enough to do that if I was working 80 a week I would still have more to do.

    My cousin is a great boss. He has the family genetic trait of being super laid back and very good with people. He does better work than most competitors, is adored by his customers and clients, and knows how to handle swiftly increasing quantities of work. There's a tremendous amount of room for growth for the business, which I hope to help actualize. His office strategy for new employees is basically to just throw them to the wolves. We have to learn near everything on our own, which I excel at, so that's good. And this, I estimate, has helped provide for several of his past employees who have moved on to make a lot of money at other firms.

    The commute is not bad and I get to avoid the shithole known as Seattle. I'm also happy to be doing office work in a blue collar environment.
    Last edited by wufwugy; 02-17-2018 at 08:58 PM.
  43. #43
    Hey spoon what happened to that Michelle person you always used to go on about
  44. #44
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarfman2 View Post
    Hey spoon what happened to that Michelle person you always used to go on about
    I broke up with her around six years ago after helping her to make what became a full recovery. She married a guy I used to pick on in high school. I wish them both the best.
  45. #45
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    Had my first week at my new job. Working for my first cousin once removed (mom's cousin). Roofing company. The office is on my great great grandfather's old property, so that's neat. He was one of the first settlers in this region, used to own like half the land in what is now several cities area.

    Anyways, my area of focus is mainly content marketing. So I'm beginning mostly with studying SEO and blogging a ton. I'm not sure what to think because there is still uncertainty due to my newness to it, but it seems to be a near perfect fit for me. It's funny, I was telling Savy on discord about the lamo jobs I've been applying to and he said he would have thought I would be looking for something more "big picture". That's true, given my personality and skill set, but tough to find anything like that. Well, this job is "big picture" in spades. I have a lot of freedom and a ton of responsibility and I'll get out of this what I put into it. I'm also doing other stuff with construction related software. There's enough to do that if I was working 80 a week I would still have more to do.

    My cousin is a great boss. He has the family genetic trait of being super laid back and very good with people. He does better work than most competitors, is adored by his customers and clients, and knows how to handle swiftly increasing quantities of work. There's a tremendous amount of room for growth for the business, which I hope to help actualize. His office strategy for new employees is basically to just throw them to the wolves. We have to learn near everything on our own, which I excel at, so that's good. And this, I estimate, has helped provide for several of his past employees who have moved on to make a lot of money at other firms.

    The commute is not bad and I get to avoid the shithole known as Seattle. I'm also happy to be doing office work in a blue collar environment.
    Pretty sweet man.
  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    I broke up with her around six years ago after helping her to make what became a full recovery. She married a guy I used to pick on in high school. I wish them both the best.
    I was wondering where you ar u en en oh ef tee'd to.

    Fix your facebook.
  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonitnow View Post
    Pretty sweet man.
    Thanks. I'm happy about it.
  48. #48
    spoonitnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,638
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I was wondering where you ar u en en oh ef tee'd to.

    Fix your facebook.
    Get on Discord.
  49. #49
    a500lbgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28,133
    Location
    himself fucker.
    Anyone play Pickleball?
    <a href=http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png target=_blank>http://i.imgur.com/kWiMIMW.png</a>
  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarfman2 View Post
    spoonitnow + self-help website = receipe for human catastrophe
    That's not really the real dwarfman is it?
  51. #51
    Yeah. A few months ago, he turned back up, and jyms, who hasn't posted here for two years or so, appeared out of nowhere just to give him the boot, then disappeared again. Fucking legend.

    I don't even know who dwarfman is. I don't know who you are, come to think of it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  52. #52
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Hi, Lefou.

    The Stop Bumping New Threads thread always makes me smile.
  53. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    jyms .. appeared out of nowhere just to give him the boot, then disappeared again. Fucking legend.
    I saw that. Dayum harsh; dman is a good kid. Or, I guess he was a good kid and now who knows what kind of man he is..
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    I don't know who you are, come to think of it. Hi.
    I was probably among the first 500 FTR members. Only people from my era that seem to still be active are spoon, wufwugy, and a500lbgorilla .. My claim to fame was that I pulverized the first FTR Gauntlet tournament despite being not-terribly-good at poker. Still have the slick glass trophy in a case behind me.
  54. #54
    My claim to fame was that I pulverized the first FTR Gauntlet tournament despite being not-terribly-good at poker. Still have the slick glass trophy in a case behind me.
    Nice, the original Gauntlet champion. It's an honour, Sir.

    I played a couple of those, didn't do very well but it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  55. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFou View Post
    I saw that. Dayum harsh; dman is a good kid. Or, I guess he was a good kid and now who knows what kind of man he is.. I was probably among the first 500 FTR members. Only people from my era that seem to still be active are spoon, wufwugy, and a500lbgorilla .. My claim to fame was that I pulverized the first FTR Gauntlet tournament despite being not-terribly-good at poker. Still have the slick glass trophy in a case behind me.
    :'(
  56. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by boost View Post
    :'(
    oh hi boost
  57. #57
    It's neat to see that all the coursework I did with math is showing some payoff. I'm implementing/designing an estimating/accounting system for my job, which involves doing some math I wouldn't have been able to figure out except with years of doing math. It's not so much that the math is hard (it's not), but that it's the familiarity with the type of concepts and situations that allows for me to troubleshoot with confidence.
  58. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    It's neat to see that all the coursework I did with math is showing some payoff. I'm implementing/designing an estimating/accounting system for my job, which involves doing some math I wouldn't have been able to figure out except with years of doing math. It's not so much that the math is hard (it's not), but that it's the familiarity with the type of concepts and situations that allows for me to troubleshoot with confidence.
    Nah Maths is pointless.
  59. #59
    He says from a device that processes binary numbers at an incredible rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  60. #60
    a pointless incredible rate
  61. #61
    You want pointlessly incredible, check out Graham's Number.

    And Tree (3).
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  62. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    He says from a device that processes binary numbers at an incredible rate.
    To allow me to shitpost on the internet. Pretty pointless.
  63. #63
    Graham's Number is so big, there isn't enough room in the observable universe to write the number down. And that assumes one digit can be written down in a Plank volume. In fact, there's not even enough room to write down the number that tells us how many digits it has. And you can say that at least another 60 times before you might have enough room to finally write something down.

    Graham's number is practically zero compared to Tree (3).
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  64. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by OngBonga View Post
    Graham's Number is so big, there isn't enough room in the observable universe to write the number down. And that assumes one digit can be written down in a Plank volume. In fact, there's not even enough room to write down the number that tells us how many digits it has. And you can say that at least another 60 times before you might have enough room to finally write something down.

    Graham's number is practically zero compared to Tree (3).
    Ye but it ends in 7.

    And when you know the ending....
  65. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Savy View Post
    Ye but it ends in 7.
    1 in binary, but we need an even bigger universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  66. #66
    Does anyone here still play live poker? I mean not in a friendly home game, but a professionally run no-limit cash game?

    I've gotten back into it after being away for some time. I can't believe how badly some people play.

    Poker is not dead
  67. #67
    I should probably do that. I have too much free time. Live poker could be a productive solution to that.
  68. #68
    Fuckin jinxed myself.

    Dude calls a 7x UTG raise with 72off. I have AA with the ace of diamonds. we get it all in on the flop. 872ddd.

    Fucking bricked.
  69. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Dude calls a 7x UTG raise with 72off.
    Yes....this is a real game
  70. #70
    What's wrong with people calling a 7x raise with 72o? Sounds fucking great to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    ongies gonna ong
  71. #71
    MadMojoMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    That sounds like poker in the commune.

    We used to have a rule against that kind of talk.

    I don't suppose it matters much anymore, though.
  72. #72
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,665
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Fuckin jinxed myself.

    Dude calls a 7x UTG raise with 72off. I have AA with the ace of diamonds. we get it all in on the flop. 872ddd.

    Fucking bricked.


    Fold AA pre LDO
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  73. #73
    Jack Sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,665
    Location
    Jack-high straight flush motherfucker
    Quote Originally Posted by wufwugy View Post
    I have too much free time.
    For the first time ever I envy you
    My dream... is to fly... over the rainbow... so high...


    Cogito ergo sum

    VHS is like a book? and a book is like a stack of kindles.
    Hey, I'm in a movie!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYdwe3ArFWA
  74. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sawyer View Post
    For the first time ever I envy you
    That you know of.
  75. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaStand View Post
    Does anyone here still play live poker? I mean not in a friendly home game, but a professionally run no-limit cash game?

    I've gotten back into it after being away for some time. I can't believe how badly some people play.

    Poker is not dead
    There is always money in poker it's just that the amount of work required now just isn't worth it if you're starting off. Put 3 years effort into getting a good degree and your life prospects are infinitely better.

    No one makes good money playing 1/2 against shit players and if you were good enough you'd play higher.

    It's also easy to be like wow look how much these guys all suck without realising that you probably suck pretty bad yourself and aren't making that much money off those sucky players to begin with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •